What would you wear on a New Year's Eve cruise?

Stockjock

Trying to decide what to wear on a NYE cruise out of Florida.  Both for me, and the ladies can chime in, if they wish, with respect to my GF, although she's a much better dresser than I am.

I do have a tuxedo or two, but haven't worn them in at least 5 years.  I could wear a basic black suit or navy suit.  I also have some slightly loud/bold, but festive sport coats (red or royal blue) and I could wear those with a tie and black wool slacks.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Stockjock

31 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Trying to decide what to wear on a NYE cruise out of Florida.  Both for me, and the ladies can chime in, if they wish, with respect to my GF, although she's a much better dresser than I am.

I do have a tuxedo or two, but haven't worn them in at least 5 years.  I could wear a basic black suit or navy suit.  I also have some slightly loud/bold, but festive sport coats (red or royal blue) and I could wear those with a tie and black wool slacks.

Any thoughts?

How about wearing whatever makes you feel most comfortable.

• Like 4

I think you can do any of those, depending on your personal sense of formality, and the lady's preferences...

If she's going with a long gown, do the tux. If she's doing something short(er) and fun, do the festive sport coat. And if she's somewhere in between, do the suit. I'd key off her (but today actually was my 30th anniversary...). I think any of the above is fine. I probably wouldn't go excessively "business"; it's New Year's and if you're wearing a suit, make it fun.

That's just me and my $0.02 opinion!

Quick Edit: If you have a well cut, well fitted suit, and a so-so tux, like most people who wear suits and not tuxes, wear the suit!

Edited by markeb
  • Like 6

26 minutes ago, markeb said:

I think you can do any of those, depending on your personal sense of formality, and the lady's preferences...

If she's going with a long gown, do the tux. If she's doing something short(er) and fun, do the festive sport coat. And if she's somewhere in between, do the suit. I'd key off her (but today actually was my 30th anniversary...). I think any of the above is fine. I probably wouldn't go excessively "business"; it's New Year's and if you're wearing a suit, make it fun.

That's just me and my $0.02 opinion!

Quick Edit: If you have a well cut, well fitted suit, and a so-so tux, like most people who wear suits and not tuxes, wear the suit!

Thank you and Happy Anniversary! 

We plan to do the tux and most glittery dress.  Although I have several nice long gowns, I will probably go for a shorter dress so I can more comfortably dance on outdoor decks if we have that option.

It's a special occasion!

10 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

We plan to do the tux and most glittery dress.  Although I have several nice long gowns, I will probably go for a shorter dress so I can more comfortably dance on outdoor decks if we have that option.

It's a special occasion!

I have a nice flowy sleeveless tropical looking sundress. Perfect for NYE or any big occasion also summer weddings.

Most comfy in that and easy to pack. Fabric has natural creases and no ironing needed. All those things matter a lot to us ladies. 

We will be on a Panama Canal cruise next year for Christmas and New Years. Nice simple dress or black slacks and glitter top.  Husband probably dress pants and nice shirt.  No extra packing for one night.  Whatever makes you happy, comfortable and can be worn more than once on a long cruise.   

We’ve never taken a new year’s eve cruise so it would be a very special thing for us.  That being the case, we’d do Tuxedos and have our photos taken (something we never do).

Do it for your GF… make it an extra special night for her.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, DenGNNJ said:

We’ve never taken a new year’s eve cruise so it would be a very special thing for us.  That being the case, we’d do Tuxedos and have our photos taken (something we never do).

I agree!  Make it special for yourself and her!  You two young men need to do a New Year’s cruise.  So much fun and you both would be smashing in your tuxes!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Any thoughts?

What would you wear if going out to a NYE celebration on land to a nice hotel or restaurant?  That might guide you in your decision.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DenGNNJ said:

Interesting that you mentioned photos.  In the past, I had not been one to buy the onboard photos.  They seemed a bit expensive to me.

My GF is the opposite.  She loves to buy photos, either individually or in the packages.  But I've come around a bit to her way of thinking.

The reality is that some of those photographers are really good.  Yes, it's true, those impromptu shots with one's cell phone or camera can be very nice, but the professional photos may be something that you cherish for a lifetime.

So when we cruise, I don't fight her on the professional photos.  Many times, you get what you pay for.  Some photographers are better than others, but of course you don't have to pay for photos that don't turn out nice.

Whatever you feel most comfortable in formal wise. My family took a few New Year's Cruises - my brother, father and husband most years went with a Dark suit, but one year my brother went for an orange tuxedo and people had a blast getting pictures with him. The evening is very festive and fun, so whatever strikes your  NYE mood! Have fun, they're special cruises! 

NYE is the most festive night of the year on the ships.   Wear your most festive outfits.   I pack along evening dress as it is easy to pack and simplifies shoes and hosiery.   Don’t worry about pictures.   It’s so easy to get another passenger to take your photo on your cell phone.   Celebrity crew are also happy to do this for you.

• Like 1

We have done tuxedos and dark suits for our 3 NYE cruises.  Only one of them was in the Caribbean where the celebration could take place comfortably out on deck.  Here are some photos of that evening so you can see what people wore:

IMG_0462.thumb.JPG.3a7b4a4c29056b80382f009311b764bb.JPG

This was aboard Eclipse on Dec 31, 2013.  The captain  parked the boat 3 miles off the coast of Aruba so that we could watch their amazing fireworks display (here is a video).  

IMG_0465.thumb.JPG.7ab1c3b1619df82959d49a55f54e7005.JPG

One thing to note was this was back in the day when Celebrity had formal nights as opposed to today's Evening Chic.

IMG_0439.thumb.JPG.9c110fe63e27a513971328be3144341b.JPG

• Like 1

I think I decided what I'll wear.  This is kind of a royal blue tuxedo jacket with a matching blue bow tie. I'll wear it with black tuxedo pants and a black cummerbund.  Somewhat formal, but not quite as formal as your basic black tux.  Might go with a black shirt, or maybe a white shirt.

m_6112b9e460fdeda5ec6f6943.jpg

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I think I decided what I'll wear.  This is kind of a royal blue tuxedo jacket with a matching blue bow tie. I'll wear it with black tuxedo pants and a black cummerbund.  Somewhat formal, but not quite as formal as your basic black tux.  Might go with a black shirt, or maybe a white shirt.

m_6112b9e460fdeda5ec6f6943.jpg

Love it dude, going to look fab with your boxers!🥳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Most will have drink packages and will be tanked on NYE.  I doubt anyone will notice!

Well as you are from San Diego, where I lived for 10 years, perhaps if make your boxers SD themed, surfboards for example, you gonna be the belle of the NYE ball!

• Haha 1