CVS Cancels Rapid Test Again & Again

16 minutes ago, shibby sails said:

Walgreens seems to be doing a better job around me keeping appointments then CVS. Has anyone used their results to get on a RCCL ship? I saw that Carnival was accepting them. I have an appointment Wednesday for a Friday cruise and have an Urgent care backup on Thursday.

Can confirm Royal accepts the Walgreens ID-NOW NAAT test.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CruisingChick said:

Great now I am nervous all over again. We have ours scheduled at CVS for 10/15 for our 10/17 cruise.  There are not many options for antigen testing.  

The big lab outfits (Quest and Labcorp) keep sending me emails advertising tests.  Several urgent care chains near me offer both tests with no appt required.  All have locations in northern NYC suburbs.  

46 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Well.. we booked 2 appointments in two different stores two weeks ahead, and they canceled both! One 2 hours prior appointment.

Did you intend to show up for both appts or just double booked?

If you double booked, then I don't blame CVS for cancelling.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

The big lab outfits (Quest and Labcorp) keep sending me emails advertising tests.  Several urgent care chains near me offer both tests with no appt required.  All have locations in northern NYC suburbs.  

I live in CT.  I tried Quest none in CT are doing them. I even registered for an account.  There are plenty of places to get PCR testing but few for rapid antigen.  I wish the cruise line would let us get 72 hour PCR test. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

Did you intend to show up for both appts or just double booked?

If you double booked, then I don't blame CVS for cancelling.

We had appointments on 9/18 (scheduled as insurance) and 9/17 for cruise 9/19. In 2 different CVS pharmacies.

We received notification on our phones on 9/16 that 9/18 appointment was canceled. We were happy that we have another appointment. Well, on 9/17 several hours before our appointment we received another phone cancellation.

The only reason we booked two was that we heard that cancellations happen often. 

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, coaster said:

Had no concern or second thoughts about getting the vaccine. Crazy I am concerned now about testing issues prior to our cruise.

Absolutely. I wasn’t concerned about COVID-19 (we work from home) or vaccine.

Testing for cruises drives me crazy.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LorraineP said:

CVS just cancelled our Rapid Testing for this Friday 10/8 for our 10/10 cruise. Glad I have the backup tests from Optum. DON’T RISK booking with them, have backups. Seems like they have been cancelling these tests quite often. 

This is why they need to move to a more efficient protocol, like test or show proof of vaccination, instead of testing everyone.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, travelhound said:

This is why they need to move to a more efficient protocol, like test or show proof of vaccination, instead of testing everyone.

I agree, if they require it then it should be available. We have drive-up testing all over here which is great, convenient and fast! No appt. needed. I just hope it is still around in mid-January before my cruise. Concerned they might shut down for whatever reason. esp. considering it can get below zero F here that time of year.

7 hours ago, CruisingChick said:

Great now I am nervous all over again. We have ours scheduled at CVS for 10/15 for our 10/17 cruise.  There are not many options for antigen testing.  

What port are you sailing out of???

8 hours ago, LorraineP said:

CVS just cancelled our Rapid Testing for this Friday 10/8 for our 10/10 cruise. Glad I have the backup tests from Optum. DON’T RISK booking with them, have backups. Seems like they have been cancelling these tests quite often. 

Have 2 Backup plans for my Nov-Dec Cruises. Not taking any chances...

• Like 1

For my Freedom Cruise a few weeks ago, I had scheduled testings Plans A, B, C and D. Luckily, Plan A panned out, was free of charge and I got my results in a few hours, so I cancelled B, C and D. I had heard from too many people on this forum not to rely on one or even two test appointments. Testing appointments seem to have become more scarce and unreliable lately. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2021 at 10:54 PM, livingonthebeach said:

For my Freedom Cruise a few weeks ago, I had scheduled testings Plans A, B, C and D. Luckily, Plan A panned out, was free of charge and I got my results in a few hours, so I cancelled B, C and D. I had heard from too many people on this forum not to rely on one or even two test appointments. Testing appointments seem to have become more scarce and unreliable lately. 

Where did you get your Covid test taken?

At home test is suppose to come tomorrow. I just looked for availability at CVS and no appointments available between now and 10/25 for antigen rapid test. At home test seems to be the only viable option now. We are not in a rural area either.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

I have read several threads on this topic and don't know why people are wasting time with big chain Pharmacies. Now is no time to be penny wise and pound foolish. Just suck it up and order the at home test before they are sold out too. Chalk it up to another new cruise expense.  Why anyone would want to stress over this 2 days before vacation is beyond me. Now you also have to factor in the air travel if these airlines all start to cancel flights.  Has anyone submitted a claim to their insurance company for the purchase of the at home covid test?

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 10:54 PM, livingonthebeach said:

Because all you cruisers are booking 4 appointments at a time.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, coaster said:

Reading some other posts here. Does CVS offer rapid antigen tests without an appointment? Just wanted a backup plan to our at home test. This is so stressful just to go on a cruise...

No all vaccine and covid tests are by appointment.  They are so inundated with covid vaccines. covid tests and now flu shots. 

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

Yikes this scares me a bit. We are bringing our kids and leave the day after Christmas. I was nervous about having to get results that close to Christmas and now I am really nervous. I was planning on using CVS and will still probably use them as Option 1. We have another place here that we have gone to and they give it back to you quickly but I am skeptical about the no handwritten notes. I feel like they would deny this do you agree? Home tests are not an option for the kids.  

test.jpg

30 minutes ago, coaster said:

We are not in a rural area either.

You would probably be better off in a rural area. Less people testing in an low populated area.  Long Island is a nightmare. Every chain drugstore I pass has a line of cars at the drive up.  People are testing for travel and those who didn't get vaccinated are testing for work. These labs must be making money hand over fist and the insurance companies must be going broke.

• Like 2

I kind of figured the demand for flu shots would overwhelm the system for us cruisers who need rapid covid tests. Maybe the main reason why for the lack of testing appointments at CVS.

Edited by coaster

8 minutes ago, coaster said:

Royal at some point is going to have to offer testing at the pier.

They do have testing at the pier, at some American ports as a backup plan.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-if-i-dont-find-a-pre-cruise-test-or-get-test-results-in-time

We are sailing from San Juan which is not on the list.  We plan to do the BinaxNow AG Card test before we head to the airport.  If that doesn't work for some reason, plan B is a rapid antigen test as a local urgent care facility.  Plan C is to fly to San Juan and scramble to find a rapid test the day before the cruise.  We can also call their "day of sailing" help line and hopefully they can direct us to a place to get tested, or test us at the pier.  

Day of Sailing help  800-256-6649 or 305-539-4107 (Int'l)