CVS Cancels Rapid Test Again & Again

27 minutes ago, coaster said:

$105 per person is extreme! Guess it is an option when you are desperate. Makes sense that some companies are taking advantage of the pandemic.

My son was in Mexico in August.  The airport were charging $25. Their 5PM flight was pushed to 11:00pm. They arrived at the airport at 7:00 to find that covid testing closed at 6:00. They had to take an Uber to the hospital where they paid $100 each.  Imagine if the test you paid $100plus for comes up positive. 

Edited by Iamcruzin

59 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I have read several threads on this topic and don't know why people are wasting time with big chain Pharmacies. Now is no time to be penny wise and pound foolish. Just suck it up and order the at home test before they are sold out too. Chalk it up to another new cruise expense.  Why anyone would want to stress over this 2 days before vacation is beyond me. Now you also have to factor in the air travel if these airlines all start to cancel flights.  Has anyone submitted a claim to their insurance company for the purchase of the at home covid test?

We did.  Ours was covered.  As was our other covid tests at CVS.  Of course my work swabs are always covered.  Wish I could use those for travel...

• Like 1

Royal can use it's large customer base and just offer testing at the pier for a decent rate. They seem to be more focused on high pricing at CocoCay for it's add-ons there. Folks struggling just to board should be it's main focus.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, coaster said:

Royal can use it's large customer base and just offer testing at the pier for a decent rate. They seem to be more focused on high pricing at CocoCay for it's add-ons there. Folks struggling just to board should be it's main focus.

Honestly the port should set up testing for all lines just like the airports do. Royal can't even manage their own FCCs that they have been dealing with for years, I wouldn't expect them to venture into something they have no knowledge about running.

• Like 1

The CDC and the cruise lines really don't want passengers to be testing at the pier.  They want you to test at home, before you get on a plane and travel 2000 miles.  Otherwise, if you test positive at the pier, then you can't fly home until you finish quarantine.  And if you test positive at the pier, then there is a risk that you could infect other passengers, just before they get on the ship.  You also risk infecting others on your flight.  

Edited by Lou33
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

The CDC and the cruise lines really don't want passengers to be testing at the pier.  They want you to test before you get on a plane and travel 2000 miles.  Otherwise, if you test positive at the pier, then you can't fly home until you finish quarantine.  And if you test positive at the pier, then there is a risk that you could infect others at the pier, just before they get on the ship.  You also risk infecting others on your flight.  

I would say most of us sailing from Florida are driving. The airplane factor does not come into play. Folks like me near Florida ports cruise often and don't fly. Everyone should be fully vaccinated anyway at the pier. More concern eating out where those around you might not be vaccinated.

Edited by coaster

I've seen several stories here on cruisecritic where vaccinated passengers are testing positive before their cruise.  I think it's better that they find out at home rather than mingle with other passengers at the pier.  It's all about keeping the virus off the ship.  Just my opinion.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, coaster said:

Royal at some point is going to have to offer testing at the pier. Getting so hard to test now 2 days ahead at pharmacy chains. How many folks are going to be so proactive and order a test kit online?

If they read Royals testing requirements then they would see that they can buy the test kits on line. If not then they can probably say good by to getting on the ship.

People who are still insisting on scheduling with CVS (because it’s free) will be doing that at their own peril.  They have been warned dozens of times about cancelled appointments at the last minute. 
The only reliable and still affordable solution is the telemed test.  
I agree with above that you should have extras on hand.  I watched a video where the guy knocked the card off the table after inserting the drops.  That invalidated the test so he had to start with a new test.  
Crazy hoops we’re having to jump through but I’m not going to make it more stressful than it has to be.  I learned that lesson when CVS cancelled on me in August and literally no appointments were available anywhere (peak Delta surge in FL) so I had to cancel my cruise.  Never again.

On 10/4/2021 at 5:47 PM, LorraineP said:

I booked our CVS appointments at 2:00AM when appointments were first released for my date (14 days out). My DH & I had first 2 appointments in morning. They had it scheduled for 2 weeks there is absolutely no excuse to cancel, they knew how many they needed. Will never book anything with them again. 

The exact thing happened to me.  They cancel when they run out of tests supplies or their staff doesn’t show up.  It’s just not a reliable solution without a solid backup. 

2 hours ago, Lou33 said:

I've seen several stories here on cruisecritic where vaccinated passengers are testing positive before their cruise.  I think it's better that they find out at home rather than mingle with other passengers at the pier.  It's all about keeping the virus off the ship.  Just my opinion.

We both have had our booster shots (Pfeizer).  Husband's shot was in September and mine was last week.  we cruse at the end of the month -- both shots are well over 14 days before the cruise.  Hope these shots won't keep us from cruising.  

Did those vaccinated passengers actually have COVID, albeit asymptomatic?  

13 hours ago, Lou33 said:

The CDC and the cruise lines really don't want passengers to be testing at the pier.  They want you to test at home, before you get on a plane and travel 2000 miles.  Otherwise, if you test positive at the pier, then you can't fly home until you finish quarantine.  And if you test positive at the pier, then there is a risk that you could infect other passengers, just before they get on the ship.  You also risk infecting others on your flight.  

The problem is that this actually makes sense which isn't par for the course in terms of cruising protocols. So while I agree with you I doubt your thought even crossed the minds of the CDC or cruise lines.

13 hours ago, coaster said:

I would say most of us sailing from Florida are driving. The airplane factor does not come into play. Folks like me near Florida ports cruise often and don't fly. Everyone should be fully vaccinated anyway at the pier. More concern eating out where those around you might not be vaccinated.

With the lack of protocols and the low vaccine rate in some areas of Florida, Floridians are at risk everyday vaccinated or not. I think all Floridians should be tested at the pier. It would certainly cut down on all of the mock covid appointments made at the chain drug stores and will open appointments for those who actually think they have covid 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

I have 4 options for our next two cruises.  

Smart, was considering a 4th but dont want pay anything upfront. As CV has really been declining(again) have feeling nobody will be running out Tests as some were month or 2 ago.

16 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I have read several threads on this topic and don't know why people are wasting time with big chain Pharmacies. Just suck it up and order the at home test before they are sold out too.

maybe, because some of us have kids, and the at home test is not accepted for them.

Just now, Itchy&Scratchy said:

maybe, because some of us have kids, and the at home test is not accepted for them.

Some being the keyword.  If you are sailing during a school holiday you will probably find it more difficult to get tested. I would cut my losses and only book the kids an appointment and take the home test for myself and my wife.

17 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Because all you cruisers are booking 4 appointments at a time.

Notice I cancelled all appointments immediately after my plan A went through, and did not hold them up for others.  I wouldn't have had any back up plans except I kept hearing of too many cancellations.  I'm happy my first option went through and I was able to release the subsequent appointments. 

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

Notice I cancelled all appointments immediately after my plan A went through, and did not hold them up for others.  I wouldn't have had any back up plans except I kept hearing of too many cancellations.  I'm happy my first option went through and I was able to release the subsequent appointments. 

Yes I did read that but if all of your appoints were on the same day it didn't help canceling them after plan A worked.  I wonder if others do the same.

Just now, Iamcruzin said:

Yes I did read that but if all of your appoints were on the same day it didn't help canceling them after plan A worked.  I wonder if others do the same.

No they weren't all at the same day -  I cruised when the window was 3 days instead of 2, and neither where they all at the same place.  I live in a large metropolitan area where testing has been readily available.  I doubt the local cruising population has put a dent into the scheduling process here but I haven't scheduled a test since early September. 

Bought more Abbot tests from RCI for upcoming cruises.

We will still schedule a test in CVS (just one this time) and will have peace of mind that if they cancel we will be safe!

• Like 1

This is really scary for us.  We are flying in from the Dominican Republic and will need to get tested.  Have no option for a home test kit unless we can pick one up when we get to Ft. Lauderdale?  Is that possible?  We will have a test done just before we leave but it will not be in the timeframe for the cruise. 

So if I'm reading the post right, you say these test (if we cannot get CVS or Walgreen to do them) cost $105 each? That sounds like "bank robbery to me. There are 8 of us leaving the 2nd week in January, and I'm hoping things will be better than what it seems right now.