The Daily for Friday October 08, 2021

richwmn

Today is American Touch Tag Day, World Egg Day, and Veterinary Nurses Day

"If you live to be one hundred, you've got it made. Very few people die past that age. - George Burns"

Meal suggestion for today - Garlic Rosemary Pork Chops

Drink of the Day - Screwdriver

Wine of the day - Vik Milla Cala Cachapoal Valley 2012

Destination of the Day - Savusavu Vanua Levi Fiji

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Adriatic
Eurodam Destination Piraeus

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Cabo San Lucas MX 00:00 - 24:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Zuiderdam Destination Los Angeles

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Westerdam

Port Everglades
Nieuw Statendam

Puerto Vallarta MX
Noordam

Rotterdam NL
Oosterdam

San Diego
Koningsdam

Scheveningen
Rotterdam Anchorage

1008NAmerica.thumb.png.04572aa8bb80da6ae6bc58ae6b0cc5b0.png

1008Europe.thumb.png.bffa05bc3456a0b4267bb7492e8a1cf1.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.  Happy Friday.

Interesting collection of days.  Maybe I'll have an egg sandwich for lunch.   A big salute to veterinary nurses.   Haven't played tag in years,  now that we've been vaccinated maybe DH and I will play.😉

Amusing quote.

Not a big fan of rosemary, but I love garlic, so maybe the dinner suggestion could work.

Screwdrivers are yummy, hope the wine is too.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a great day.  Stay safe.

• Like 24

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  Veterinary Nurses Day will be very popular here.  I haven't played tag in many decades.  I like eggs in moderation, often an omelet on a BHB.  George Burns was quite a character.  I haven't been to Savusavu Vanua Levi.  Garlic Rosemary Pork Chops sounds nice.  My alternative is a bit contrived since we lost October 8 crossing the International Dateline.  My alternative is Dutch Tea Treats as I enjoyed October 6:

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer but responding VERY well
StLouisSal’s friend recovering from liver transplant
Lady Hudson’s BIL in rehab
smitty34877's family (DGD double broken lists plus covid family)
dfish nephews kids covid  positive
From the rotation:
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Koningsdam back from test cruise
Aliaschief in Pinnacle Suite
Sea Viewer at sea but not BJB
Cruising-along, Vict0riann, VMaxx1700, sailingdutchy and NextOne at sea
2 days for Sharon, lazey1 and Koningsdam
Mr Boston on Cape Cod
ger_77in Calgary
Nieuw Statendam Everglades sailaway
Start of holiday weekend
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 9

Good afternoon.

It was 68°F and sunny this morning at the beach.

Thank you for today's daily and care reports Rich and Roy.

I like eggs and have  never played tag since I was in the infant's school.

Vet nurses do a great job helping vets who care for our pets.

If you have your health it must be amazing to live to 100.

Paulines mam made it to 96 years 6 months when she died on October 18th 2018 

Nice food and drink and the port sounds exotic so looking forward to seeing photos.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Graham.

IMG_20211008_100951.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 26

Good Friday morning.  Interesting group of days.  Love the Burns quote.  He was a great man.  Prayers and Toasts to all of us.  Off to a massage today.  Much needed.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Screwdriver:

A screwdriver is a popular alcoholic highball drink made with orange juice and vodka. While the basic drink is simply the two ingredients, there are many variations. Many of the variations have different names in different parts of the world. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 3/4 oz (1 part) Vodka, 3 1/2 oz (2 parts) Orange juice
Preparation: Mix in a highball glass with ice. Garnish and serve.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Orange slice
Drinkware: Highball glass

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 7.22.42 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 7

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing! Happy Friday everyone!

We needed to rebook our February cruise yesterday a month earlier to the identical sailing in January. I found out that our dog sitter was already booked for the February dates four months in advance! She also got to meet Sam the other day while we were on a walk while she was dog sitting for another client in the neighborhood. People traveling must be on the rebound!

Today we are setting up Sue's booth for the Shenandoah Valley Art Center's 50th Annual Fall Foliage Festival art show this weekend. Last year's venue was cancelled due to the pandemic so happy to see it return. Our cruises provide the subject matter for her mixed media pieces which have been popular. I tell her more cruises = more subject matter!

- Jack

0726201504.thumb.jpg.68162550cdccfaf14e7d1903c6886d85.jpg

0726201528.thumb.jpg.887e48391f2dd3c428e414e307db25e1.jpg

1115201501.thumb.jpg.36ac54a4ad29db8ed225a9e390972c02.jpg

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Interesting group of days today.

Love the quote and Burns.

The meal sounds like a winner.

Leaving in about 10 minutes to meet the delivery truck with our glass block, installation kit, etc for our shower. We have to meet them because the delivery company did not follow DH's advice and put it on a 28' trailer. (Not a chance of that getting up this mountain.) DH is not very happy and will be calling HD later today as this delivery has been a mess as have others when this delivery company is involved.

@dfish I am so sorry to hear that your family members have tested positive. I have added them to my prayer list.

Wishing everyone a terrific day.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 22

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our TGIF smile 🙂 

Great collection of days.  I join with those who salute the Veterinary Nurse’s day.  never head them called that here but all who care for our pets are valued.

CCF1A14F-A71B-4CC6-B8A7-F188AD80A787.thumb.jpeg.47b0fccb2715b86ed9efd26ddfe08927.jpeg

Love the George Burns quote 🙂  The meal suggestion sounds good.  Rosemary & garlic?  Yum 🙂 

@Heartgrovewonderful work by Sue!

Well I broke down yesterday worried about weather and moved 4 of the chili plants in the house.  The rest will hopefully survive outside but I was bound and determined to save the Black Pearls 😉. They’ll go in and out depending on weather.  Now to hope they survive the transplant 🤞

6B61B0B7-D7BF-43AD-BC8C-B7ABB2A275D9.thumb.jpeg.3db1c907dc86cdb08621220c7a119a3f.jpeg

Busy morning - Marley to groomers, Miko’s invisible fencing gadget being replaced & off to an appointment with DH.  That leaves Miko alone in the house.  He won’t be a happy camper.  Pray for me 😉 

Prayers for everyone the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout out list.

Have a great Friday, everyone !!!!!!

E80866A7-0718-41A3-83D1-9C9082E50155.thumb.jpeg.d1a6869e7efc7136a3ebac508016c986.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone.  

It is kind of a grey day here in northeast Ohio.  We're supposed to have heavy thunderstorms later this afternoon.  I woke up several times during the night with leg cramps and had to get up and walk them out.  It will be a long day for me.  

Thanks to all who have voiced concern and have offered prayers for my nephew's kids.  They are all quite young so they can't get vaccinated.  As adults, it is our job to protect them and that wasn't done well.  As for now, the kids are doing well.  Fortunately, they have mild cases.  

The pork chops sound great.  I love anything garlic.  As a kid one of my favorite meals was scalloped potatoes and pork chops.  I made that a lot when I was in high school and mom was working. I was in charge of making dinner every night.  

Here is a basic recipe for the pork chops:   https://food.theffeed.com/2020/02/29/garlic-rosemary-pork-chops/

211413326_garlicrosemaryporkchops3.thumb.jpg.c3073349fdda6d7f12f2c885368ec622.jpg

This one, from Carb Manager, is slightly different.  Ghee is clarified butter.  https://www.carbmanager.com/recipe-detail/ug:0a1abb39-dd65-4d6f-0c13-95f3d29764a4/keto-garlic-rosemary-pork-chops

1701378820_garlicrosemaryporkchops2.thumb.jpg.dfb888ff584225d7f108034bea9b3d23.jpg

This one uses some balsamic vinegar and then grills the chops instead of pan frying.  https://www.food.com/recipe/grilled-rosemary-garlic-pork-chops-69903

422005824_garlicrosemaryporkchops.jpg.b2fb8b32c68cd4d81d4545bb781529ca.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 9

Thanks for today’s Daily, Rich! Another gremlin day for me. Using my phone to post. Sigh. Will check back in later. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Vik Milla Cala Cachapoal Valley 2012

All released vintages of this red blend share similar excellent ratings. But the 2016 vintage might be a tad more affordable with online prices starting at $35.98. 

Winemaker Notes

#22 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018

Discover this pure and elegant wine made exclusively with grapes from their vineyard, VIK in Millahue Valley, "the place of gold." Cala honors their Norwegian name Vik. Milla pays tribute to Millahue which gives them unique, diverse and superb terroir. 

Blend: 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Carmenere, 8% Cabernet Franc, 4% Syrah, and 3% Merlot.

WS94
Wine Spectator

Rich and refined, delivering unctuous dark fruit and spice flavors that offer a creamy svelteness. Slate and mineral accents linger on the complex finish, with dark chocolate and olive notes. Cabernet Sauvignon, Carmenère, Cabernet Franc, Syrah and Merlot. Drink now through 2022. 

WE92
Wine Enthusiast

Up-front oak creates a warm sense of toast and maple to go with herbal leathery berry aromas. A bold lively palate hosts coffee, mocha and herbal plum and berry flavors. On the finish, this is toasty with a long-lasting note of mocha. Drink through 2021.

JS91
James Suckling

Aromas of cherries, plums and flowers. Full body, soft and velvety tannins and plenty of flavorful fruit. Hints of new wood. Needs a year or two to come together. But delicious now.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 7

Good morning to all. I had a hard time sleeping last night and headed out in the dark to walk Fred.There was a layer of fog that made things interesting but it has burned off now.

@dfish,I am so sorry about your nephews and  can relate to the “adults” who are not providing safety for our children.I will add them to my prayers.

My DGD is having surgery this morning on her right wrist as there is a problem with the growth plate. I hope to hear soon how she is doing. Hopefully the left arm will only require a cast.

I am using my nervous energy this morning to cook multiple dishes.I have two soups bubbling on the stove and vegetarian chili in the crackpot. The recipe today looks good but I will save it for another time.

Terry

• Like 24

This family can definitely celebrate Veterinary Nurses Day as my daughter has been one since 2004 where she graduated top of her class.

In Canada they are typically referred to as Registered Veterinary Technicians or Technologists (RVT) and October is RVT Month.

The Registered Veterinary Technologists and Technicians of Canada (RVTTC) are proudly celebrating national RVT Month, a time to acknowledge RVTs and the important work they do to advocate and care for the health and wellbeing of animals.

My wife is an accomplished seamstress and as makes scrub tops for our daughter.  We have lost count of how many she has made but our daughter has one for almost every holiday and a different one for each of the 12 days of Christmas.

P1050173.JPG

P1050177.JPG

P1050178.JPG

P1050179.JPG

P1050180.JPG

Edited by bdrcole
  • Like 40
  • Thanks 1

Good Friday morning, friends!  I awoke to more raindrops so no outdoors walking.  Hopefully this is the final day of rain for a bit.  Thanks @richwmnfor the Daily and @rafinmdfor our lists.  Prayers for those in need of them and cheers to all celebrating good news, family visits and cruises!  

I enjoy a screwdriver once in a while (usually on a flight), loved the quote, and would probably enjoy the pork chop dish.  Thanks for those recipes, Debbie.  Your interest and skill in cooking started early I see.  While growing up my twin helped with the cooking while Mom worked and I helped with the cleaning.  She is still more interested in cooking than I am.

Veterinary nurses are a big help to the veterinarian.  I wouldn't mind an egg sandwich for lunch either.  Touch tag is not on the horizon for me.  Hasn't been for decades really.  

I haven't been to Savusavu yet.  Maybe if I ever take that Grand Asia cruise I placed on my bucket list.  Looking forward to photos of your visits there Daily friends.  Have a great weekend!

• Like 22

5 minutes ago, bdrcole said:

This family can definitely celebrate Veterinary Nurses Day as my daughter has been one since 2004 where she graduated top of her class.

In Canada they are typically referred to as Registered Veterinary Technicians or Technologists (RVT) and October is RVT Month.

The Registered Veterinary Technologists and Technicians of Canada (RVTTC) are proudly celebrating national RVT Month, a time to acknowledge RVTs and the important work they do to advocate and care for the health and wellbeing of animals.

My wife is an accomplished seamstress and as makes scrub tops for our daughter.  We have lost count of how many she has made but our daughter has one for almost every holiday and a different one for each of the 12 days of Christmas.

P1050173.JPG

P1050177.JPG

P1050178.JPG

P1050179.JPG

P1050180.JPG

The scrubs are great!  Your daughter must love wearing them.  🐶

• Like 15

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report Rich.  Haven’t played tag in years but it sounds like fun.  The incredible edible egg.  Veterinary nurses serve our pets well, hats off to them.  Fun quote by Mr. Burns.  A screwdriver almost sounds like a breakfast drink that would pair nicely with eggs.  Haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and a successful outcome for @smitty34877’s DGD’s surgery. Cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bdrcole said:

This is a picture of my Grandson wearing his Veterinary assistant outfit that Grandma made him.  It was go to work with a parent day so he spent time at the Veterinary Clinic with his Mom.

P1040979.JPG

So sweet!  The fabrics she uses are great.

• Like 10

I think this may be the first time I’ve been on page 1, and it’s because I’m in Europe!  If I don’t post often, it’s because I’m either having problems with CC or with the ship’s internet, but I’m thinking of you all.  

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. We need eggs here and since I just ordered food and forgot them and we don’t go into stores, it will be a challenge to get some. Love George Burns joke.

Sam left here last night to spend a few days at our daughter’s home. We fired the aide who was sweet but there is a saying that you can’t fix stupid. I think the problem is they pay them $12 an hour. Too many examples to go into. Monday morning we are getting our first male aide. We are hoping he will be good, but we’re still waiting to hear from the fabulous aide we had who went home to Ghana for what was supposed to be two weeks and she’s been gone since August 30th. Both the aide and we have tried contacting her through what’s app with no success.

Tomorrow I am having lunch outside with some women because one of our neighbors is moving. We will be eating at a local Italian restaurant that has a tent and heaters.

Prayers for all those on our prayer list and those who don’t think they need them also.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 24