The Daily for Saturday October 09, 2021

richwmn

Today is Curious Events Day, Fire Prevention Day, and Leif Erikson Day

Most people have never learned that one of the main aims in life is to enjoy it. - Samuel Butler

Meal suggestion for today - Smothered Pork Chops

Drink of the Day - My Fair Lady

Wine of the day - La Crema Pinot Noir - California - Red

Destination of the Day - Quebec City Quebec Canada

Ships with Passengers

Cabo San Lucas
Nieuw Amsterdam Baja California Mexico 08:00 - 17:00

Piraeus, Athens, Greece
Eurodam 10:00 - 19:00

Ships without Passengers

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Westerdam

Long Beach
Zuiderdam

Port Everglades
Nieuw Statendam

Puerto Vallarta MX
Noordam

Rotterdam NL
Oosterdam

San Diego
Koningsdam

Scheveningen
Rotterdam Anchorage

1009Europe.thumb.png.bf359cf5857f91a64e97f7ba20f186fa.png

1009NAmerica.thumb.png.d82acb9eec09b94f40e1396cfdb78012.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

An interesting collection of days.  Curious Events Day sounds like a lot of fun.  Every day should be fire prevention day.  And we should remember that Leif Erikson was probably the first European to set foot on North America.

Love the quote.

The meal suggestion sounds good,  looking forward to seeing the recipe.

Hope the drink of the day and wine are good too.

Prayers for everyone who needs them.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful Saturday.   Stay safe.

• Like 19

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Smokey the bear greets us towards the front of our community. He was also my first stuffed animal. 🙂 (My maiden name is Smoak, pronounced smoke.) A salute to Leif Erikson and interested in finding out about curious events day.

The meal sounds good and I like the quote.

We are at HD, when we leave here we will make a quick stop at the big box store for a few things since we are in town then home to make more progress.

Have a wonderful day.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 21

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  A special salute to Fire Prevention Day.  Lief Erickson deserves a day; I visited L'Anse aux Meadows on a land trip on the 1000th anniversary of it's settlement.  I like Curious Events day as well.  Today marks the start of a long weekend, Columbus Day in the US although it's recognized as Indigenous Peoples Day in my County and Thanksgiving weekend in Canada.  The Pork sounds nice.  I like the Butler quote, and the pork sounds nice.  My alternative is a tribute to Thanksgiving weekend  as it was celebrated October 8-9 on MS Amsterdam (we crossed the international dateline, Chilled Peach Soup, Traditional Thanksgiving Turkey, and Apple Tart.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/dishes08.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer but responding VERY well
StLouisSal’s friend recovering from liver transplant
Lady Hudson’s BIL in rehab
smitty34877's family (DGD double broken lists plus covid family)
dfish nephews kids covid  positive
cruisin single’s grandson mental issues
Quartzite Cruisers antivax neighbors
From the rotation:
Me awaiting PET test results
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Koningsdam back from test cruise
Aliaschief in Pinnacle Suite
Welcome home Sea Viewer
Cruising-along, Vict0riann, VMaxx1700, sailingdutchy and NextOne at sea
1 day for Sharon, lazey1 and Koningsdam
Mr Boston on Cape Cod
Crazy for Cats in PA
ger_77in Calgary
Nieuw Statendam Everglades sailaway
Start of holiday weekend
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

PS: Been to Quebec a number of times, land, embarkation/disembarkation, and port of call, but never on a BHB.  I was booked there on Zuiderdam last year but we all know how that turned out,

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 8

My photo today is another sunset.  It was taken on the 2011 Blount-Crystal Montreal Circle from New York to Montreal through the Erie Canal and back on the ocean.  On October 9 the sun set as we passed through the St. Lawrence Seaway approaching Montreal.

sunset9.jpg

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Saturday smile 🙂 

Interesting collection of days.  Fire prevention is important every day.

Love the quote by Butler!  Meal suggestion sounds interesting - I’ll wait to see Debbie’s recipe.

We’ve certainly been to Quebec but by land not sea 😉 It’s a great city

Have to go get my curb-side order this morning (ugh on a Saturday of a long weekend but too many appointments this week to do it sooner) and pick up my turkey from the market.  Sadly I ordered it before the rule came down on single households only here for Thanksgiving.  Hope it isn’t too big to alert the New Brunswick Thanksgiving police:

2B3F51FC-30F1-4534-875E-15E65F7626AE.thumb.jpeg.c01674acf41fa791ac1346c9ffd7a071.jpeg

It’s brrrr-y cold this morning.  Looks like we had our first frost so the leaves are going to come down soon 😔  

4200533D-69A1-4E15-A547-C5CE8A35848A.jpeg.db0bf2290bb59b2e1a9b6041c149e980.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone !!!!!!

CA9A120B-0760-4BAF-AB04-BC3463E6C641.jpeg.e6e7b714c7ba1e8c19e5c80da2667314.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 26
  • Haha 6

Good morning everyone!

It is going to be another gray day here in northeastern Ohio.  Rain this afternoon.  Of course, they promised rain yesterday afternoon and it didn't happen.

I have a board meeting this morning for the non profit I manage and then off to the pool.  The rest of the day is relaxation time.  

Fire prevention is a daily thing, but it is nice to highlight it and make people more aware.  And, I'm all for curious.   I like the La Crema Chardonnay, so may have to give this wine a try.  

Today's meal looks scrumptious.  There are a couple variations and one recipe for the slow cooker.  The first one is with an onion gravy.https://cafedelites.com/smothered-pork-chops/

Smothered-Pork-Chops-IMAGE-75.thumb.jpg.2108b39529920d5c359266437cbeecc2.jpg

The next recipe has a nice gravy, but omits all the onions.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/smothered-pork-chops-recipe-1941069

29062635_smotheredporkchops2.jpeg.692c9e7bae0fb46839b969492287c9c2.jpeg

And we have our slow cooker recipe:  https://www.thecountrycook.net/slow-cooker-pork-chops/

Crock-Pot-Smothered-Pork-Chops-recipe.thumb.jpg.0926f1a198e10ebea7716c582eeaa8de.jpg

Enjoy!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

We visited Quebec in 2018 on a b2b Canada/ New England itinerary aboard the Rotterdam.  It was a great cruise and this is one of our favorite itineraries.  

Since it was a b2b we were in Quebec twice.  The first time we went to Montmorency Falls and St. Anne de Baupre.  

20180831_125040939_iOS.thumb.jpg.b5e6114d4ee773ede1dc5d2d5b4f55af.jpg

20180831_124718748_iOS.thumb.jpg.9c599edfb8b039a06966f51a9f5a2870.jpg

20180831_134619746_iOS.thumb.jpg.aa80b11e3049425449bf564a5efd2828.jpg

20180831_134738291_iOS.thumb.jpg.506aa48f266fea813ffe091b894e734f.jpg

On the second visit we walked to the funicular and searched for French Onion Soup and crepes.  We were successful in our search.

20180902_140614770_iOS.thumb.jpg.a1ef6f445b927459f998962ef927eb23.jpg

20180902_144453905_iOS.thumb.jpg.99ca097438cd2de586ebdf8d0b42afbb.jpg

20180902_152423313_iOS.thumb.jpg.6be86e14c36ae9bc42479b3dd9437da8.jpg

20180902_153105732_iOS.thumb.jpg.28f4d9c9c1eb13a29d21c8ce667a5c31.jpg

• Like 36

The following is from www.timeanddate.com.

Love conspiracy theories? Enjoy pondering about bizarre events that seem to have no explanations? Then Curious Events Day, a made-up holiday celebrated every year on October 9, is just the holiday you need to celebrate!

While the origins of this curious holiday are unknown, we suspect that the creators of this day wanted people to stop worrying about the small things in life and focus their attention on all the inexplicable, baffling and peculiar mysteries of the world.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7

I'm sure there will be many pix from Quebec, but thought I'd start off with a few from the Queen Mary from 2014. Hmmm, looks as if there was a HAL ship in town that day as well (taken  during our sail away.)

Also, a few from the Maasdam from 2011 when the weather was rather drippy and it was obviously October.

Quebec City Scenes (1).JPG

Quebec City Scenes (6).JPG

Quebec City Scenes (30).JPG

Quebec Sailaway (16).JPG

City of Quebec-11.jpg

City of Quebec-23.jpg

City of Quebec-30.jpg

City of Quebec-44.jpg

Edited by tjcox9
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.

It is currently 68°F and a little misty at the beach.

Thanks for today's daily Rich and Roy for the care, celebrations and shout outs.

Everyone thinks of Christopher Columbus but the Viking Leif Erikson was the first European to come to America.

Fire prevention is very important.

There are curious events happening every day.

Today's quote is perfect and everyone should abide by it.

I will give the food and drink a miss but looking forward to photos of today's port.

Prayers for everyone who need them.

Take care.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211009_123958.jpg

Screenshot_20211009_123850.jpg

16337803178698187128596927937088.jpg

• Like 27

Good morning.  Interesting group of day.  Love the quote.  The meal looks fantastic, I printed @dfish first recipe. Have not been to today's port but the photo's are fantastic, especially the one of the beautiful building.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

My Fair Lady:

Ingredients
Ice Cubes
1 Part Light Rum
1 Part Lemon Juice
1 Part Triple Sec
1 Dash Orange Bitters

How to make
Fill a shaker with ice cubes. Add all ingredients. Shake and strain into a cocktail glass.

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 7.27.22 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists.

Been to Quebec city a number of times but always by land. It's a great city.

Leif Erikson has been the forgotten explorer. He deserves at least as much praise as Christopher Columbus. Glad he is getting his own day.

Best wishes to our Canadian friends for a joyful and safe Thanksgiving weekend.

• Like 21

Order has been restored to my CC universe! I can post without the entire world’s posts being included. 

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A wonderful combination of days! 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists! Morning Dailyite family! @smitty34877, Terry, so happy to hear your DGD’s surgery went well. Praying that her recovery is quick and pain free. 

@Vict0riann& @VMax1700, thank you for sharing your cruise with us! 
@Sharon in AZ, hope you get out of CC jail soon! But most of all - enjoy your cruise!

My friend in Baltimore is almost cancer free! She has paid a terrible price with some horrible side effects that had her in the hospital for 10 days, but she is now home. And slowly regaining her strength. Her oncologist believes just two more treatments, and with reduced amounts of the drugs. She will get the official verdict when she goes Thursday for her next treatment. Thank you all for your continued good wishes and prayers. 

Need to get out to the garden today. Gathering at the Beachfront Winery for supper later.  Need to explore more of their overhauled menu! It is supposed to be a lovely day, so I foresee a long walk in Bindi’s & my future!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone!

La Crema Pinot Noir

I have had this PN and it is a nice one. Very good- excellent ratings depending on the vintage. Readily available online. Even Amazon.com! Prices started at $16.97, but you might find it for less locally. 

From “Honestwinereviews”:

In appearance La Crema Pinot Noir pours ruby colored.  Not surprisingly, light does shine through the wine.

In the glass the wine displayed thin legs.  Similar to the Oregon Pinots, there was a sheeting action on the inside of the glass.

This wine was very aromatic and the aroma was easily noticeable over a foot away from the glass.  The nose was of raspberry with a woody whiff from a distance.  The alcohol in the aroma was barely noticeable, similar to the La Crema Pinot Noir I’ve sampled in the past.

On the palate La Crema Pinot Noir gives you the delicate flavors of smoky berries.  What I found especially remarkable was that this wine, although a 2011, gave no indication of its age.  It seemed as though I was drinking a wine that had been in the cellar for a few years.  Along with the flavor of smoky berries was a hint of plum and perhaps even a little vanilla.  Very complex and very enjoyable.

The mouthfeel of La Crema Pinot Noir provides a texture of silky cream.  The wine finished medium to long with well balanced and delicately rounded tannins that were experienced all over the cheeks and tongue.

Overall, I very much loved this Pinot Noir.  It’s so worth the price and is definitely one of the best Pinot Noirs I’ve experienced over the years.  The winemaker figured out how to get rid of anything that could have gotten in the way and delivered a wine that is complex, smooth, aromatic and finishes perfectly.  Highly recommend!

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Order has been restored to my CC universe! I can post without the entire world’s posts being included. 

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A wonderful combination of days! 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists! Morning Dailyite family! @smitty34877, Terry, so happy to hear your DGD’s surgery went well. Praying that her recovery is quick and pain free. 

@Vict0riann& @VMax1700, thank you for sharing your cruise with us! 
@Sharon in AZ, hope you get out of CC jail soon! But most of all - enjoy your cruise!

My friend in Baltimore is almost cancer free! She has paid a terrible price with some horrible side effects that had her in the hospital for 10 days, but she is now home. And slowly regaining her strength. Her oncologist believes just two more treatments, and with reduced amounts of the drugs. She will get the official verdict when she goes Thursday for her next treatment. Thank you all for your continued good wishes and prayers. 

Need to get out to the garden today. Gathering at the Beachfront Winery for supper later.  Need to explore more of their overhauled menu! It is supposed to be a lovely day, so I foresee a long walk in Bindi & my future!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone!

La Crema Pinot Noir

I have had this PN and it is a nice one. Very good- excellent ratings depending on the vintage. Readily available online. Even Amazon.com! Prices started at $16.97, but you might find it for less locally. 

From “Honestwinereviews”:

In appearance La Crema Pinot Noir pours ruby colored.  Not surprisingly, light does shine through the wine.

In the glass the wine displayed thin legs.  Similar to the Oregon Pinots, there was a sheeting action on the inside of the glass.

This wine was very aromatic and the aroma was easily noticeable over a foot away from the glass.  The nose was of raspberry with a woody whiff from a distance.  The alcohol in the aroma was barely noticeable, similar to the La Crema Pinot Noir I’ve sampled in the past.

On the palate La Crema Pinot Noir gives you the delicate flavors of smoky berries.  What I found especially remarkable was that this wine, although a 2011, gave no indication of its age.  It seemed as though I was drinking a wine that had been in the cellar for a few years.  Along with the flavor of smoky berries was a hint of plum and perhaps even a little vanilla.  Very complex and very enjoyable.

The mouthfeel of La Crema Pinot Noir provides a texture of silky cream.  The wine finished medium to long with well balanced and delicately rounded tannins that were experienced all over the cheeks and tongue.

Overall, I very much loved this Pinot Noir.  It’s so worth the price and is definitely one of the best Pinot Noirs I’ve experienced over the years.  The winemaker figured out how to get rid of anything that could have gotten in the way and delivered a wine that is complex, smooth, aromatic and finishes perfectly.  Highly recommend!

I'm pleased to hear your friend is almost cancer free but so sad to hear of the terrible side effects she has endured.

Prayers for good news on Thursday when she sees her oncologist.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I'm pleased to hear your friend is almost cancer free but so sad to hear of the terrible side effects she has endured.

Prayers for good news on Thursday when she sees her oncologist.

Take care.

Graham.

Thank you Graham.

Her white & red blood cell count crashed and the inside of her mouth was so painful that she could just barely take in ice water. She lost 13 more pounds that she could ill afford to lose, so her doctor wanted her on a feeding tube under 24 hour care. 

Thankfully she pulled through this - she is a feisty, spirited, strong woman! Helped by everyone’s prayers and good wishes. 

• Like 24

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing! Happy Saturday!

My parents early on had instilled upon me a the need for commitment to serve the community in life. Besides my years in the Coast Guard and later teaching as a 2nd career, I was a member of my local fire department for almost 13 years. This time of year was always busy promoting fire prevention, 

When we resumed cruising after a long hiatus, Quebec City was our first port to depart from. We had an upsell to a Vista Suite aboard the Veendam. It had docked on it's port side and I told Sue to leave the outside light on so we could see which was our stateroom.  Went out on the pier to spot ours - along with five other outside lights left on! So much for that idea! Besides our first time sailing with HAL, it was also Sue's first time to fly in a turboprop airplane despite flying  extensively for business.

Yesterday we set up Sue's booth for the art fair today and tomorrow. With rain predicted today and tomorrow morning, luckily she was able to secure an inside space. The forecast is clearing for Sunday afternoon so hopefully there will still be a decent turnout. Her works are a combination of photography and painting with acrylics.

- Jack

Sue's Display Booth

1008211522_HDR.thumb.jpg.61aaae7e51a7a11977e7b5dc985b01fd.jpg

The first of her Iceland series

1008211526a.thumb.jpg.ff7a371021cdf8d14fdaffe979209dc5.jpg

A few of her Oregon Coast series

1008211525.thumb.jpg.ad16f26982c4019a0b1c5d4628cc5fda.jpg

Santorini

1008211527.thumb.jpg.b185ab6a1339fcbe569533916af913d5.jpg

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 33

Good morning everyone. I love today’s quote and can’t wait till I can enjoy life more than I have in the last 4 months. 
We’ve been to Quebec many times. The first was a land trip and then a few New England / Canada cruise. On our land trips and pre cruise we’ve stayed at LevChateau Frontenac, a beautiful place. On our last trip we celebrated our 60th anniversary pre cruise. It was raining everyday pre cruise but I managed to scooter to our favorite restaurants for lunch and dinner. 
Sam is returning early from our daughter’s house because he says he’s missing me. That means we will be here for two nights with no aide and I’m a bit nervous about it but hopefully it will be ok.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Woofwoo1 said:

My favourite Leif Erikson was the one who played Big John Cannon in the High Chapperal. Loved Cowboy tv when i was a lot younger. Excuse the  spellings

Good to see you again! We do not judge spelling or grammatical errors here. 

We might question some. And giggle at others. Such as someone saying they had to move their “ponies” before starting their renovation project.  Finally figured out they meant “peonies”. 😎

• Like 7
  • Haha 13