Will Grandeur still sail from Barbados?

The first Grandeur sailings are due to start in December….

But several of the ports are on Barbados Red list, and on other countries Red lists too;

the requirement to book a hotel for 48 hours and quarantine until your PCR on arrival results are back,

the requirements to quarantine in return to Barbados, which makes flying in and out on sailing day impossible;

with the news that Marcella have pulled their ship due to start in the Caribbean until January;

with the suggestion that P&O will only allow ships tours in port….

it’s all sounding like hard work. 
Has anyone heard any updates on these itineraries?

https://e.issuu.com/embed.html?backgroundColor=%23050e44&d=btmi_travel_protocols_final&u=visitbarbados&pageLayout=singlePage&

• Like 1

We cancelled our January cruise a few weeks ago primarily due to all the Barbados regulations around quarantine etc , as we wanted to spend a few days in Barbados first and the logistics around testing and quarantine were just too much . While things are easier now on the UK side , there is no sign of that happening with Barbados.  We  plan to reschedule for 2023 when  things are more normal.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Its getting to the point if they don't soften some of these requirements, we are canceling our 14 day in February.

I’ve got 21n booked, purely for the new ports. It will be a shame, but these requirements are unworkable. 

Booked on 30th January with 6 days in a hotel before it. Flying from the UK and final payment due at the end of this month. 

Really unsure what to do. On one hand I want to go but on the other will it actually be worth all the stress and hassle? If it actually goes ahead anyway.

Oh for a crystal ball!

20 hours ago, RFerrington said:

I really think these Barbados cruises will end up being cancelled.  The sailing I am on (20 Feb 2022) is back to showing NO prices whatsoever on cruisingpower.  At least the other Barbados sailings have SOME pricing showing.

our ports aren't even showing up on cruise timetable.  

24 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

😪

We're also on the 14N Feb 20th sailing. Will be so disappointed if the cruise is canceled but also not trying to go thru quarantine and all the proposed hoops just to cruise from Barbados!

Just hope we find out timely as we're looking forward to some sunny weather during our winter east coast season.  

With so much uncertainty we cancelled our 14 day cruise in February. I don't mind jumping through some hoops but currently it was too much. We were so looking forward to the cruise as it had such a great itinerary and was such a great price when it first came out.

• Like 2

There's a separate protocol for vaccinated cruise passengers https://issuu.com/visitbarbados/docs/bpi_covid-19_port_protocols

You can arrive to Barbados on embarkation day and there's no need to quarantine but the cruise line must take you from the airport to the port. You will still need the negative PCR test on arrival. You only need to quarantine if you arrive before embarkation day on a pre-cruise stay. Same goes for debarkation. You'll get a PCR test in the ship 2-3 days before arrival then you'll be taken to the airport on the same day to leave the island. Quarantine is only required for post-cruise stays.

I'm booked on the 14 night sailing on February (Hope it doesn't get cancelled). I will arrive the Thursday before embarkation but on debarkation I will leave the same day. I don't think I'll cancel. I'm taking my Pfizer booster next month so I'll be good for the cruise. 

Edited by El turista

That doesn't sound very fun. I wouldn't want to arrive in Barbados on embarkation day and board the ship. If we were flying all the way to Barbados, I would want to see more of the island than we have previously. 

We were doing a b2b in February.  I read the barbados health requirements for cruise ships early september and had doubts.  I know I don't want to chance flying in same day with airlines being unreliable these days.

And we dont want to run the risk of a positive test for pre cruise stay and be quarantined on the island.  

Their rules are very strict just like Bermuda.  Royal couldn't come to terms with Bermuda requirements.  

Just dont know about Barbados.

@El turista we have flights - which were booked last March - arriving Saturday night, the ship sails on Sunday night. 
These new rules make it impossible to comply with the quarantine requirements… I wonder if paying for the quicker results is a way round this?   

Our flight leaves on disembark day but not until the evening….. 10 hours in the airport doesn’t the sound like fun either. 

Edited by little britain

Guest BigRoger

Hi to be fair... having become alarmed reading all this stuff I actually went onto the various Barbados sites to understand the requirements for cruise passengers and it doesn't seem terribly onerous to me unless I'm missing something?

Its only vaccinated passengers I suspect:

If flying in with cruise line/ charter on day of cruise - fill in Barbados form, PCR test 3 days or less before fly, then transport straight to port by cruise line

If flying in independently but on day of cruise - same but not transported by cruise line, by specified local transport

If flying in before cruise sail day - initially the same, but with a PCR test on arrival, then go to 'designated hotel' to await test result - they call it 'quarantine' but there is no set amount of days its just until you test positive or negative (they do suggest at least 2 days though). Test negative and free to do anything anywhere on Barbados as soon as results through...

Designated hotels are basically every hotel we've been looking at on the island!

Is it that complicated (provided you don't test positive!)......

1 hour ago, BigRoger said:

Hi to be fair... having become alarmed reading all this stuff I actually went onto the various Barbados sites to understand the requirements for cruise passengers and it doesn't seem terribly onerous to me unless I'm missing something?

Its only vaccinated passengers I suspect:

If flying in with cruise line/ charter on day of cruise - fill in Barbados form, PCR test 3 days or less before fly, then transport straight to port by cruise line

If flying in independently but on day of cruise - same but not transported by cruise line, by specified local transport

If flying in before cruise sail day - initially the same, but with a PCR test on arrival, then go to 'designated hotel' to await test result - they call it 'quarantine' but there is no set amount of days its just until you test positive or negative (they do suggest at least 2 days though). Test negative and free to do anything anywhere on Barbados as soon as results through...

Designated hotels are basically every hotel we've been looking at on the island!

Is it that complicated (provided you don't test positive!)......

Its not at all complicated or onerous, but there is a lot of "what if's" and that is just not how I want to spend my vacation.  We are booked (through the cruise line) to fly in two days early. Now that meets the recommended time frame, but chances are we will spend those days sitting in our "designated hotel."  As you say they suggest AT LEAST two days.  We are flying in on Friday for a cruise on Sunday.  What we don't know is how long test results take on the weekends.  If it takes 3 days will we not be allowed to leave the hotel to board the ship?  

If Royal does indeed start these sailings December 5 as scheduled, it will be interesting to see how they go.  My final payment is not due until the end of December so I will wait and see before I decide. However, this is my 50th Birthday cruise and I would prefer not to have a stressful experience. 

• Like 2

Guest BigRoger
42 minutes ago, EllaDuChien said:We are flying in on Friday for a cruise on Sunday.  What we don't know is how long test results take on the weekends.  If it takes 3 days will we not be allowed to leave the hotel to board the ship

Yep we are exactly the same - in Friday for Sunday and I agree with you it’s all about the speed of PCR test - they signal limitations at the hotel on what you can do until test is confirmed as negative…. But you can potentially use the hotel facilities… but that in itself might be challenging because you might interact with someone who has Covid even though you yourself didn’t when you took the PCR test…. Great times we live in….. but at least we are all still living!

It’s the fact that they are not specific about the length of time it takes for results to come though…. We currently have 24hr window between plane landing and ship sailing.  Given that we land Saturday night too… turnaround times may be longer.

I have total faith in RCI to get something sorted 🙄

• Like 1

7 hours ago, little britain said:

@El turista we have flights - which were booked last March - arriving Saturday night, the ship sails on Sunday night. 
These new rules make it impossible to comply with the quarantine requirements… I wonder if paying for the quicker results is a way round this?   

Our flight leaves on disembark day but not until the evening….. 10 hours in the airport doesn’t the sound like fun either. 

Would moving your flight be costly? If I were you I'd try to make it on the Thursday before because you'd for sure get your results in time. I've read the results can take up to 48 hours to come back.

6 hours ago, little britain said:

It’s the fact that they are not specific about the length of time it takes for results to come though…. We currently have 24hr window between plane landing and ship sailing.  Given that we land Saturday night too… turnaround times may be longer.

I have total faith in RCI to get something sorted 🙄

I am on the 14 day in January on Grandeur and rang the Barbados Tourist Board in London and was told 

• If your result is not back you can still go to the cruise ship as you are tested before going on board
  • if you decide to stay in Barbados after the cruise you don't have to isolate in nominated accommodation and are free to explore the island as you would have been tested 3 days before arriving back at cruise terminal ( if the test is negative obviously)

So I have tagged my 2 days on when we get back to Barbados , and I am flying with Aer Lingus and changed my flights with no extra cost .

Fingers crossed everything works out.

• Thanks 3

On 10/13/2021 at 8:10 PM, chmusar said:

I am on the 14 day in January on Grandeur and rang the Barbados Tourist Board in London and was told 

• If your result is not back you can still go to the cruise ship as you are tested before going on board
  • if you decide to stay in Barbados after the cruise you don't have to isolate in nominated accommodation and are free to explore the island as you would have been tested 3 days before arriving back at cruise terminal ( if the test is negative obviously)

So I have tagged my 2 days on when we get back to Barbados , and I am flying with Aer Lingus and changed my flights with no extra cost .

Fingers crossed everything works out.

Hope you got the details of the person who told you this…. I would want it in writing lol!

• Like 1