Coronavirus Restrictions in Switzerland and Netherlands

Psoque

We are traveling in November and will be in Amsterdam, Germany, France and Switzerland with Viking.  We submitted the documents for the Swiss Certification and both were approved within a few hours. Once we had that, we were able to scan the QR code into the France app as well and instantly got that certification as well. It was probably unnecessary though, as the Swiss Certificate is apparently valid anywhere in the EU.  We did have to pay 30 Swiss Francs per person, but in my opinion it is well worth the money for the convenience and efficiency of obtaining their certificate. Now we are just struggling to work out how to get timely PCR tests with our departure falling during Thanksgiving weekend.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 10:32 PM, Psoque said:

We received our Swiss digital COVID certificate, loaded onto the Swiss COVID Certificate app, basically overnight after e-maling the Canton of Basel-Stadt requested information.

It appears, according to the official Dutch website, any EU digital certificate with a EU QR code would be accepted in place of the Dutch "Coronavirus Entry Pass."

So I guess we are all good for our trip.

We may be on the same cruise as you, I think (Crystal Debussy leaving tomorrow from Basel?) - we filled out the Swiss form for getting their COVID certificate online last Wednesday, paid the fee and had the certificates by Thursday (Mine took 30 hours, his took only 16 hours).  It’s been working in other European countries too. 

Asya

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 1:28 PM, asya999 said:

We may be on the same cruise as you, I think (Crystal Debussy leaving tomorrow from Basel?) - we filled out the Swiss form for getting their COVID certificate online last Wednesday, paid the fee and had the certificates by Thursday (Mine took 30 hours, his took only 16 hours).  It’s been working in other European countries too. 

Asya

We are scheduled to board the ship on Nov. 18.  Have a great trip.

Just returned from Basel to Amsterdam. I used my Swiss QR code everywhere. It was never not accepted. Amsterdam was pretty strict in museums etc. Restaurants-no. Germany it was hit or miss. Never asked in France. Italy asked in restaurants. Switzerland I don't think we needed to show it at all. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lauriepnp said:

Just returned from Basel to Amsterdam. I used my Swiss QR code everywhere. It was never not accepted. Amsterdam was pretty strict in museums etc. Restaurants-no. Germany it was hit or miss. Never asked in France. Italy asked in restaurants. Switzerland I don't think we needed to show it at all. 

In Switzerland we needed it in bars, restaurants, coffee shops and our hotel! 

I just heard in the news that several European countries (Austria, Germany, France, and Netherlands, perhaps more) are planning to or contemplating to add additional public health measures because of rising new cases.  We are flying to Basel in less than three days.  I will keep you posted on the situation.

• Thanks 1

Read that the Netherlands are thinking about a new lockdown. A decision is expected later this day.

One state of Austria wants to implement a lockdown for non vaccinated people. But this shouldn´t affect you as you have to be vaccinated for the cruise anyway.

steamboats

• Like 1

Yes, latest news from Austria are a country wide lockdown for non vaccinated people.

By Sunday Austria is regarded as high risk country as well as the Czech Republic and Hungary. Which means that (vaccinated) travelers have to fill in the German entry form when returning from those countries (I don´t think you have to do this when passing the border with a river cruise ship).

Good news... The US is off the list of high risk countries by Sunday which means you don´t need to fill in the German entry form anymore when flying to Germany.

steamboats

• Like 2

Have just read that the Netherlands will have a partial lockdown!? Apparently much rioting in the streets of The Hague against it. Have no details right now. Not the sort of place I would want to take a river cruise in...

Germany is a quiet place in comparison but I have the suspicion it is the calm before the storm.

notamermaid

Partial lockdown started yesterday evening in the Netherlands for three weeks. Restaurants and bars as well as shops have to close by 8 pm, shops with non essential goods have to close by 6 pm. People can only meet up with up to 4 others in their homes. All sport events are without spectators. All other larger events are cancelled.

steamboats

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I am a bit behind with the news. Here is an article on it:

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20211113-netherlands-first-to-impose-partial-lockdown-as-eu-cases-surge

So the EU says Germany is not in the highest category of concern yet. Hmmm... I seriously think that is not far off. I will certainly try and beat my own prediction for the better, as I am sure many people do.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Wrong word

A double-edged sword and rioting in the streets

People in the Netherlands and not just there are protesting against the restrictions: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59363256

Amsterdam apparently saw quieter, smaller protests.

A fun place to go on a river cruise? It is probably still safer than most places in the world and Covid the bigger threat.

No, things not looking good.

notamermaid

Switzerland is in a slightly volatile state today, the "Eidgenossen" as we call them in German, have the instrument of referendum which they are using today to vote on Coronavirus measures. There have been violent protests so the outcome may add fuel to the fire, or possibly calm things down. The calm, collected Swiss are not so calm these days... No matter the outcome I am sceptical about the next few river cruises starting from Basel to be fun and magical. It is getting harder to ignore the fact that things are not good along the Rhine.

Many Christmas markets are still on but who knows what will be in a week's time.

https://lenews.ch/2021/11/26/numerous-complaints-filed-against-vote-on-swiss-covid-rules/

notamermaid

• Like 2

@notamermaidI once again want to acknowledge what an incredible source of information you are.  Being our eyes “on the ground” in Germany and the EU you really help members here make decisions.  All of your posts are measured, factual and not sensational and I appreciate that.  I am raising a glass of mulled wine to you. Danke.

• Like 7

This thread has great information but I would love the contributor’s thoughts!

Our river cruise (Netherlands/France/Germany/Switzerland) is not until April 3. We have a pre-cruise stay in Amsterdam 3/30 and a post-cruise stay in Lucerne (independent, not a Uniworld extension). Would it be beneficial for me to work on getting Swiss certificates for myself and my husband now? We are both 3x vaccinated with Pfizer/Moderna. Anything to make our lives easier. 

On 12/5/2021 at 3:29 PM, Gopherpharm said:

This thread has great information but I would love the contributor’s thoughts!

Our river cruise (Netherlands/France/Germany/Switzerland) is not until April 3. We have a pre-cruise stay in Amsterdam 3/30 and a post-cruise stay in Lucerne (independent, not a Uniworld extension). Would it be beneficial for me to work on getting Swiss certificates for myself and my husband now? We are both 3x vaccinated with Pfizer/Moderna. Anything to make our lives easier. 

You might want to wait until next year to see what is going on then.  But if you want, you could obtain the QR code (which works for all EU/Schengen/NFTA countries) specifically from Switzterland (since it is most likely impossible to get it from Netherlands unless you get tested every 24 hours there, and I think Germany is only giving out the limited time QR codes, not the real one).  When I applied for it in October, it was free.  I just had to e-mail one of the Swiss Canton health departments (for us, we dealt with the Canton of Basel-Stadt) with scans of your passport face pages and the scans of your vaccination certificates.  It was free when we got this, but I heard some Cantons (not sure which ones, if not all?) are charging a small fee.  It is my understanding that these "real" QR codes are good for one year starting the date of your most recent vaccination.  So this also depends on when your most recent vaccination.  If your most recent vaccination was before April 3, 2021 (and if you haven't gotten the booster yet), you may want to get your booster then apply for the QR code.

9 minutes ago, Psoque said:

you may want to get your booster then apply for the QR code.

Figuring out a vaccination date (if the Gopherpharm is getting another one) and the QR code and looking at travel restrictions and timing that correctly is something I would look at carefully. Agree with you there. I would wait at least until January and see what ideas the EU and the respective countries come up with.

notamermaid

The Dutch government announced yesterday that the current restrictions will extend to January 14, 2022 or later.

https://www.government.nl/latest/news/2021/12/14/evening-closures-prolonged-primary-schools-to-shut-a-week-early-before-christmas

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/dutch-consider-early-christmas-break-schools-limit-covid-19-spread-2021-12-14/

Edited by Psoque
added more info
  • Thanks 1