How do the eMed/Optum/Navica home tests work

We bought a couple of the home test kits from Royal Caribbean for our upcoming cruise, and I downloaded the Navica app and created an account, but I'm not sure if I need to schedule an appointment time somewhere, or if it's just scan the test kit and they'll get you with the next available. After setting up the account I have an option to scan my test kit, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to that now, or within 2 days of sailing to take the actual test.

Has anybody used one already that can tell me how it works?

22 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

We bought a couple of the home test kits from Royal Caribbean for our upcoming cruise, and I downloaded the Navica app and created an account, but I'm not sure if I need to schedule an appointment time somewhere, or if it's just scan the test kit and they'll get you with the next available. After setting up the account I have an option to scan my test kit, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to that now, or within 2 days of sailing to take the actual test.

Has anybody used one already that can tell me how it works?

You don’t open the kit or do anything until you are ready to take the test.  At that time you will log on and the the telehealth person will walk you right through..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, but they need two separate accounts.

Do you actually need two different accounts or can you just create another profile under your account? Seems to store all the same info but you don’t have to use a different email I’d to log on. I have been wondering about this for our tests next week.

7 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Poor video….he dropped the supplies and had to start over using a new kit.

Thanks. Is that the one he drops it in? I didn't watch the whole thing. I just selected one. 

My son has used BinaxNOW supervised test kits on three different occasions.  I bought six test kits, not realizing they would expire before I could use all of them.  So, I gave them to my son and his family.

They were all purchased in my name, but you can enter up to three names on one account (I think it's three; two for sure).  

When my son, with his own account, went to use the first one, he selected "I'm ready to take a test" in the Navica app.  When he scanned the test kit identifier, he was directed to emed.com to register the test in his name, and then went on to do the appointment.

The video call is one way:  the medical technician can see you, but you cannot see them.  The video feed is kept on throughout the session.  My son said he thinks they contract with labs all over the world, so all time zones and 24 hours a day can be accommodated worldwide.

The lab technician verified the test kit, instructed my son on what to do, and then said he would keep the video on to check the results within 15 minutes.  Once verified, the technician sends a message through the app to verify the results, and an email is also sent.

My son said each of his 3 tests took about 10 - 20 minutes each.

The Navica app can be used to by the 6-pack test kits, while optum.com can be used to buy 2 and 3-pack tests.  RCCL's link is to the optum web site.

6-packs average about $30 per test (including shipping); 3-pack $33 per test, and 2-packs $35 per test.  2 and 3-packs include shipping.

Edited by pcur

Just completed mine. First test I got an invalid result. Might have been my screw up, I had a really hard time getting any of the regent out. Bought four kits for our cruise this weekend plus one in November, so used one of the two other kits and that one worked flawlessly. I was told to contact eMed for a replacement for the invalid test, but will see if that actually gets me anywhere. I was a bit surprised that the proctor didn't seem to really look at the result at all, they just had me read the result and tell them what I saw. 

On 10/12/2021 at 5:29 AM, Tee & Chilli said:

Poor video….he dropped the supplies and had to start over using a new kit.

That guy is an idiot, there are several other, better ones to watch, including one from the manufacturer. 

The one from the young couple is good, and simple to follow. 

• 5 months later...

Are Emed and Optum the same?  When we ordered ours on the Royal Caribbean site it dropped us into the Optum website offering the 2 pack or 3 pack.  But all the videos I see are from Emed?  Are they the same company?  Just wanted to make sure we have the correct tests.  Thanks! 🙂

3 minutes ago, travelbug4 said:

Are Emed and Optum the same?

They are different companies, but they sell the same test kit (in different quantities) - the proctored Binax test which RCI accepts to board their ships.

Edited by Biker19