Queen Elizabeth Voyages: COVID Restrictions

RJChatsworth

11 hours ago, renji said:

One comment above caught my attention,  Does anyone know if it is still the case that we are only allowed off on a Cunard organized tour?  I ask because we are on the November 1 Canary Islands cruise which stops at Cadiz, and it seems a P&O passenger without COVID was removed and quarantined at a miserable Cadiz hotel because someone they had contact with (I believe at a dinner table) tested positive.  So we ought to avoid excursions and meals with other passengers given that the QE voyage stops in Cadiz and Lisbon?  We are trying to be very careful, will have boosters, I believe we get a table for two in PG and we will take a private car to Southampton, but I imagine any excursions in the prior stops could create an issue if someone else we had contact with tests positive.  I see very few outdoor or private excursions.  

I just checked the ports of call info on the Cunard website and it looked like only Lisbon requires a Cunard shore excursion, and neither Lisbon nor Spain requires a COVID test from vaccinated passengers. I am not entirely sure how to evaluate the risk of Cunard excursions given that other passenger’s experience.  Since Lisbon is the last stop, we seem at lower risk to take on excursion there…

Things seem to be changing by the day. I have been led to believe, not by official means, that the rules for disembarking in Lisbon has changed and you can now get off independently without tests and not have to book a Cunard excursion. We are on the same cruise and we are just waiting and seeing what info is given if you do need tests before disembarking at any port or have to book a Cunard excursion we will just stay onboard.

13 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Things seem to be changing by the day. I have been led to believe, not by official means, that the rules for disembarking in Lisbon has changed and you can now get off independently without tests and not have to book a Cunard excursion. We are on the same cruise and we are just waiting and seeing what info is given if you do need tests before disembarking at any port or have to book a Cunard excursion we will just stay onboard.

I think we will do the same, primarily because or the increased risk of quarantine in Spain or Portugal…

On 10/13/2021 at 12:58 PM, RJChatsworth said:

We have this morning disembarked QE after a Round GB Voyage that departed Southampton on 1st October.  We were also on the first voyage after the pandemic on 13th August.  We were told then there was 65% occupancy.  On the one we have just got off we were told it was about 75% occupancy.  We were separately told there were 1320 passengers but I haven’t done the maths.  I believe they are ramping up the occupancy to 90% by the end of November.

The most noticeable difference between the two voyages was getting in the lifts on this cruise with enhanced passenger numbers, still 4 only at a time. This morning they had removed the ‘4 limit’ and now the maximum per lift is back to 18 (it would be a miracle if you could get that number in standing!).  I was told today that the restricted numbers in the theatre was being lifted from today.  That’ll provide a one-third more seats but masks will continue to be worn.

We were on this cruise to in QG, which seemed to us to be as normal and full capacity, with all tables occupied. The most annoying aspect from our point of view was the "mask monitors" in the Theatre. They would stand at the front looking out for any signs of a mask slipping or not being on correctly and would walk up to the passenger and tell them to put it on correctly. It was clear there were many elderly passengers sitting in there who found it difficult to comply 100%, and some did allow their mask to slip from their noses - I felt sorry for them as they were embarrassed to be 'told off' by staff. This happened both during daytime lectures and evening theatre entertainment.

Another interesting situation was when I asked a staff member if they were allowed off the ship, and he replied not until they reach the Med, as "by then all the crew will be vaccinated.."! 

Finally another titbit from a coach tour guide (Cunard excursion) he told the passengers that Cunard had insisted his passengers should be accompanied both to the toilet and /or the cafe!! He said he had told them "no chance" he had no intention of complying with that directive and we should just take ourselves there! 

Mask wearing is said to protect others and to some extent oneself. It is a well-signalled requirement on board Cunard in certain situations, such as the theatre. It is also something that is horribly easy to forget. Why construe being reminded as being told off?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Mask wearing is said to protect others and to some extent oneself. It is a well-signalled requirement on board Cunard in certain situations, such as the theatre. It is also something that is horribly easy to forget. Why construe being reminded as being told off?

Because it was not a reminder.....they actually came right up to the passenger involved and said (not requested) put your mask on correctly. Remember everyone of us were double jabbed and had a Covid negative test pre boarding, therefore it was very unlikely Covid was present on board from passengers  as we were in a covid bubble. Mask wearing is believed in some quarters to protect yourself / others but the scientific information is not that convincing.  For your info many of the passengers we spoke to called it "the prison ship" because many of the protocols were over egged and some were non existent. For example in Liverpool we had to all get onto a shuttle bus to get to our coach for the excursion, a 15 seater minibus with 15 of us squashed together prior to getting on the coach. Here the protocols went out the window!

I wish I could have been on that prison ship.😟

If I know I'm expected to comply with something such as mask wearing, I will comply.  Protocols have been and probably will be so for some time to come, a moveable feast and as I knew Cunard would do their damnedest to keep me safe, I definitely would comply, without moaning ans I knew there would be some measure of requirements before I booked.

Each to their own but I certainly wouldn't pick holes in a regime which kept me safe and gave me a much needed return to sea.

• Like 4

We were on QE on 13th August and the staff standing at the front of the theatre and "remining" people if they hadnt got a mask on or were not wearing it correctly IMO was very welcome and even wearing masks indoors didnt feel uncomfortable at all and never heard anyone call it a "prison ship". On Princess 3 weeks later you were allowed to drink in the theatre and requested to take mask off and drink and then replace mask but wasnt enforced and many just took mask off and because most were on the drinks package took in drinks as an excuse just to not wear a mask during the show.

It is easy to forget that having two jabs and wearing a mask is not a 100% protection for any individual - but if everyone complies with both these and behaves sensibly as well, then there will be less chance of people overall getting infected - so the smallest number of infections will happen on a cruise where everybody does everything they can to protect not only themselves but also try to avoid transmitting the virus to anyone else, whether you are aware of being infected (i.e. positive test) or not. There is always a non-zero chance that someone will get infected but if we all do what we can to reduce the chances then we are all collectively better off. So getting jabs, and wearing masks is each of us doing our bit to reduce the risks for everyone.  In the pandemic era that is important, and for the sake of a small amount of inconvenience in public settings that is the least we can all do.  Of course if you are doing exercise in the gym or by dancing then not wearing a mask is better for your own health than restricting your breathing by having a mask on and in that setting there will not be a demand to wear a mask.  Equally if a collection of people are all singing at the top of their voice then that will increase infection transmission compared to quiet talking.  Sitting in a bar where everyone is quietly chatting and having a nice drink is less risk than if lots of people are talking loudly, and laughing after a few too many drinks...  but if we all do what we can to reduce the risks then less people will get covid and there will be a smaller chance that any one person will need to be quarantined or evacuated.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SALAD MUNCHER said:

Because it was not a reminder.....they actually came right up to the passenger involved and said (not requested) put your mask on correctly. Remember everyone of us were double jabbed and had a Covid negative test pre boarding, therefore it was very unlikely Covid was present on board from passengers  as we were in a covid bubble. Mask wearing is believed in some quarters to protect yourself / others but the scientific information is not that convincing.  For your info many of the passengers we spoke to called it "the prison ship" because many of the protocols were over egged and some were non existent. For example in Liverpool we had to all get onto a shuttle bus to get to our coach for the excursion, a 15 seater minibus with 15 of us squashed together prior to getting on the coach. Here the protocols went out the window!

Well, had I been on board the prison ship - oh, if only - I should have been much relieved if people were being reminded/told to wear their masks. If I had forgotten, the anger I should have felt would have been at myself for forgetting, something easy to do. The scientific consensus seems to be that masks do help avoid spreading infection, and most of us would surely wish to do that.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Well, had I been on board the prison ship - oh, if only - I should have been much relieved if people were being reminded/told to wear their masks. If I had forgotten, the anger I should have felt would have been at myself for forgetting, something easy to do. The scientific consensus seems to be that masks do help avoid spreading infection, and most of us would surely wish to do that.

Exactly how we felt on our Seacation and didnt have a problem with protocol and had a fantastic time.

On 10/19/2021 at 6:09 AM, majortom10 said:

Exactly how we felt on our Seacation and didnt have a problem with protocol and had a fantastic time.

On 10/18/2021 at 5:19 PM, mcloaked said:

It is easy to forget that having two jabs and wearing a mask is not a 100% protection for any individual - but if everyone complies with both these and behaves sensibly as well, then there will be less chance of people overall getting infected - so the smallest number of infections will happen on a cruise where everybody does everything they can to protect not only themselves but also try to avoid transmitting the virus to anyone else, whether you are aware of being infected (i.e. positive test) or not. There is always a non-zero chance that someone will get infected but if we all do what we can to reduce the chances then we are all collectively better off. So getting jabs, and wearing masks is each of us doing our bit to reduce the risks for everyone.  In the pandemic era that is important, and for the sake of a small amount of inconvenience in public settings that is the least we can all do.  Of course if you are doing exercise in the gym or by dancing then not wearing a mask is better for your own health than restricting your breathing by having a mask on and in that setting there will not be a demand to wear a mask.  Equally if a collection of people are all singing at the top of their voice then that will increase infection transmission compared to quiet talking.  Sitting in a bar where everyone is quietly chatting and having a nice drink is less risk than if lots of people are talking loudly, and laughing after a few too many drinks...  but if we all do what we can to reduce the risks then less people will get covid and there will be a smaller chance that any one person will need to be quarantined or evacuated.

Agreed, we are triple vaccinated and are still planning to mask and be careful in transit, and won’t do group coaches even if costly to travel— if group excursions are required in Spain or Lisbon in November, we’ll just stay on board. Just so happy to be getting onboard again —although I will miss the dance hosts as my partner doesn’t dance (and would happily dance masked to have them back!).  

3 hours ago, renji said:

Agreed, we are triple vaccinated and are still planning to mask and be careful in transit, and won’t do group coaches even if costly to travel— if group excursions are required in Spain or Lisbon in November, we’ll just stay on board. Just so happy to be getting onboard again —although I will miss the dance hosts as my partner doesn’t dance (and would happily dance masked to have them back!).  

I am the same just happy to be on a cruise again do not care this time about going ashore as we are usually quite adventurous but do not care about anything other than being on ship again this time think you maybe on same cruise as us wonder if a lot of people will not go ashore? maybe there will be someone else spare at dancing you never know now that my Dad can not dance Mum usually partners people as she loves to dance unfortunately she is not able to come with us this time

27 minutes ago, Electra 7 said:

I am the same just happy to be on a cruise again do not care this time about going ashore as we are usually quite adventurous but do not care about anything other than being on ship again this time think you maybe on same cruise as us wonder if a lot of people will not go ashore?

We are feeling exactly the same.  We hope to go ashore but I’ll not be put out at all if we deem it best to stay onboard.  Just so pleased to (hopefully) be getting back on the ship to relax for a fortnight.