Coco Cay South Beach

I haven't been to the revamped Coca Cay, but from what I have seen researching to pick my day bed location, I went with Breezy Bay as it was the most centrally located of the 3. My second choice was South Beach (before it was removed for my sailing... still not available yet) as it's the furthest spot but seems to have the most tranquil vibe and unobstructed views. 

51 minutes ago, amberjohn said:

Where is the best place to snorkel on Coco Cay?

I have not been to the CocoCay since it became Perfect Day (once it was too windy to dock, and the other was a COVID cancellation), but I had the same question. In my searches, the general answer seems to be just outside the 2 inlets at Chill Island. However, people did mention snorkeling off South Beach and the Coco Beach Club as well. 

Apparently the older maps showed a sunken airplane you could snorkel over, but in more recent maps, it's been removed and people have said that you are only allowed to go there with a paid snorkeling excursion?

Guess I might find out in a few weeks. We booked a beach club cabana, not sure if we'll just stick to that or if we'll wander over to Chill Island at some point.

55 minutes ago, amberjohn said:

Where is the best place to snorkel on Coco Cay?

Anywhere but there.

Seriously, pretty much any other port is going to have better snorkeling: Cozumel, Roatan, Grand Cayman (when it opens again), St. Maarten, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, Bonaire, etc.

17 hours ago, brillohead said:

Anywhere but there.

Seriously, pretty much any other port is going to have better snorkeling: Cozumel, Roatan, Grand Cayman (when it opens again), St. Maarten, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, Bonaire, etc.

Not to hijack the thread but you sound like an experienced snorkeler... our trip goes to CCay and Nassau. We are NOT hard core snorkelers - don't really want to book that excursion where you ride 2 hours on a boat somewhere to snorkel all day and then back again.  But wouldn't mind a place to mess around a little in the water, see some cool sea life (turtles?!) without it becoming a major expedition. Recommendation for Nassau?

21 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

South Beach is opening back up with Cabanas and Day Beds. How does this area compare to Chill Island and Breezy Bay? Trying to decide which area for a day bed if the beach club prices don't come down.

South Beach is quiet. Out of the way. Far from restaurants. We greatly prefer the Chill Beach area. 

To me, Cococay isn't a big fancy resort,,,, but, its cabanas are very over priced. There are lots and lots and lots of loungers and umbrellas on the beach (all socially distant right now - groups of 2s and 4s). We've been to Cococay 3 times this year.  Save your money. Grab a couple of loungers and umbrella and enjoy the beach. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

South Beach is quiet. Out of the way. Far from restaurants. We greatly prefer the Chill Beach area. 

To me, Cococay isn't a big fancy resort,,,, but, its cabanas are very over priced. There are lots and lots and lots of loungers and umbrellas on the beach (all socially distant right now - groups of 2s and 4s). We've been to Cococay 3 times this year.  Save your money. Grab a couple of loungers and umbrella and enjoy the beach. 

We were there in July and place was empty with less than 1,000 and it was great! South Beach was closed so couldn’t compare. 

Royal has started back having 2 ships a day in coco cay and by next summer those ships could be back at 100%. 12,000 people on the island makes it crowded so we want a day bed or beach club to get away.

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

5 minutes ago, PrincessPatti said:

When is your cruise?  I am there in December.  We booked a day bed there and they moved us saying South Beach is closed indefinitely.

Next June. South Beach is currently open for employees since it’s not needed but that will change in 2022. They added it back to our cruise planner in the last couple weeks for booking cabanas and day beds.

13 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Not to hijack the thread but you sound like an experienced snorkeler... our trip goes to CCay and Nassau. We are NOT hard core snorkelers - don't really want to book that excursion where you ride 2 hours on a boat somewhere to snorkel all day and then back again.  But wouldn't mind a place to mess around a little in the water, see some cool sea life (turtles?!) without it becoming a major expedition. Recommendation for Nassau?

Honestly, I'd recommend rethinking your opinion of snorkeling tours.  In Nassau, you're only looking at a couple miles to ride to a reef, and you usually are only in the water for an hour or so.  It's a half-day excursion, and you're really going to see some amazing aquatic life on a reef.  (I would be thrilled for a "snorkel all day" type tour, but they're all very short, for me personally -- I would literally spend eight hours straight in the water with a few hydration/food breaks.)  

The Bahamas in general don't provide very good snorkeling from the beach, just because of their geography.  You need to get a couple miles off shore to get to any of the reefs.

If you're okay with seeing a couple small fish here and there, bring a pair of goggles or a face mask from a dollar store and put your head in the water near some big rocks at any beach.  If you want to see turtles and various types of colorful fish, take a snorkel tour (or go on a cruise that ports at an island with from-the-beach snorkeling).  

• Like 2

On 10/14/2021 at 10:15 PM, brillohead said:

Anywhere but there.

I had very good snorkeling at CC several times from Chill Island 

in September I didn’t Snorkle , but saw this. People said Snorkle was great too

2F9E4BE9-F198-4F35-8694-3E794A5F6552.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Tatka said:

I had very good snorkeling at CC several times from Chill Island 

in September I didn’t Snorkle , but saw this. People said Snorkle was great too

33B5340A-C26A-4459-B3A1-9177CF8185AF.MOV 56F5ED3B-6BF9-4AB5-AA1A-F3E6FB0D0AB3.MOV

2F9E4BE9-F198-4F35-8694-3E794A5F6552.jpeg

I guess everyone has a different definition of what "good snorkeling" consists of.  

If you've never swum in anything but an inland lake with minnows and perch, I guess Coco Cay would be considered good by comparison.  But if you've ever done any reef snorkeling, there simply is no comparison, IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

In September I wandered to South beach. It looked nice, pretty empty (we were on Oasis with 2100 pax) and we will go there on Thanksgiving cruise

So you just ignored the signs that said it was off limits to guests?

On 10/16/2021 at 8:29 AM, brillohead said:

So you just ignored the signs that said it was off limits to guests?

Yes, I just love breaking rules..

i didn’t see signs. I wasn’t there alone. Less people, yes.

Edited by Tatka

i just did a free day on the island  def were more than enough chairs. we found a perfect spot in back of the lagoon bar which was in the shade most of the day. steps from both restaurants, restrooms, the swim up pool. great central location. helped the concierge got us the express elevator out so we could leave early. didnt really start to get busy till after 12. cannot imagine this with full capacity. nor 2 ships.  the pool was 'just right'

walked by the day beds, if you ever want shade they appeared useless. if you want sun they are fantastic. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 4:21 AM, brillohead said:

Honestly, I'd recommend rethinking your opinion of snorkeling tours.  In Nassau, you're only looking at a couple miles to ride to a reef, and you usually are only in the water for an hour or so.  It's a half-day excursion, and you're really going to see some amazing aquatic life on a reef.  (I would be thrilled for a "snorkel all day" type tour, but they're all very short, for me personally -- I would literally spend eight hours straight in the water with a few hydration/food breaks.)  

The Bahamas in general don't provide very good snorkeling from the beach, just because of their geography.  You need to get a couple miles off shore to get to any of the reefs.

If you're okay with seeing a couple small fish here and there, bring a pair of goggles or a face mask from a dollar store and put your head in the water near some big rocks at any beach.  If you want to see turtles and various types of colorful fish, take a snorkel tour (or go on a cruise that ports at an island with from-the-beach snorkeling).  

This is super helpful.  I'm going to jump over to the Bahamas group and post there about snorkel tour recommendations.  Appreciate the help very much.

• Like 1

For those of you that know the before and after....  I was at Cococay last about 9 years ago. I gather it has changed a great deal. My favorite thing to do, always, while there was snorkeling. There was a lot to see if you went early before the crowds clouded up the water. Rays, fish, octopus, squid, etc.   I don’t know where on the island that was. 

Does anyone know if that’s the area that is currently unavailable to pax?  Is there any place to snorkel anymore?

59 minutes ago, Birdnutty said:

Does anyone know if that’s the area that is currently unavailable to pax?  Is there any place to snorkel anymore?

You can still snorkel - there are some good spots off Chill Island - probably not much changed in that area from 9 years ago.

We were on the beach that is just to the north (left, facing it) of the CocoBeach Club.  It's almost equidistant from the Snack Shack and the Chill Grill, right in front of the restrooms with the little basketball court.  The tram goes right past it. It was perfect.

Not too crowded, lots of shade toward the back, just a little music in the distance, nice wade-in beach. We intended to start there and move on, but stayed the whole day.