Live From the Emerald Princess 10/15/21 LA-Port Everglades Panama Cruise

gmcwalker

Just now, 2 cruises a year said:

AND it is easier to pack.  But something unique and special as well as cash is nice.  A lot more personal.

Keep in mind the VERY limited space available to the crew in their shared cabins. 
Only so much “fluff” can be accommodated. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

This is a very nice thought, and I don't want to seem negative, but before the Pandemic you could buy Toblerone Bars on the ship, so it is a nice thought, but not something they cannot get themselves.  Something that they cannot get on-board would be more special.

It was recommended for a gift by someone whose daughter works onboard, and she said the crew likes this brand.  I'm guessing that the price on land (saw 2.99 at World Market) is less than onboard (and perhaps not available in crew quarters?), so maybe they don't feel like they can splurge for it.  She also recommended Amazon gift cards, and of course, cash is good although it involves some work checking status of tips from passenger for them to keep it and not turn have to it in, at least as I understand it.  She said gift cards don't have to be reported.

On 10/24/2021 at 3:38 PM, landlocked12 said:

Yes, that would be great.  I am also wondering how many and what kinds of electrical outlets are in the cabins.  In an old picture I saw, it looked like there was one US and one European outlet at the desk.  Is that the case?

According to the Grand Princess housekeeping supervisor officer….

the only 110v/120v is by the desk. The lamps have USB ports.  All other outlets are 220v/240v. The Grand has two outlets on the desk…close to each other. 

On 10/24/2021 at 1:23 PM, Steelers36 said:

Just back to catch up and she is almost to the bridge and into the Atlantic.  Princess is back in the Caribbean.  How about that!

ETA: .. with passengers

On 10/24/2021 at 12:59 PM, psujmatt said:

It was surprisingly fun watching people I’ve never met transit the canal and others talk about! Thanks. 

Thank you for the wonderful photos. 

7 hours ago, Denmal said:

Was the scantuary full on the sailing ?  Do you know of they did anything special when doing the canal??

We're also interested in hearing how busy the Sanctuary is. We'll be using for every sea day on our November trip on the Sky for sure.

Edited by lx200gps

On 10/26/2021 at 12:38 PM, Mary Ann 2 said:

This is a very nice thought, and I don't want to seem negative, but before the Pandemic you could buy Toblerone Bars on the ship, so it is a nice thought, but not something they cannot get themselves.  Something that they cannot get on-board would be more special.

I was told by crew members that they were not allowed to buy from the guest shop that has Toblerone Bars as they had their own crew shop and that Toblerone Bars were not stocked there. Sheilalyn and Allan at the Outrigger Bar Aft would love one.

Edited by gmcwalker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To those onboard:

Well gang it has been 13 days so far. Would anyone be interested in meeting again at the Outrigger Bar on Friday our last day at about 3:30-4pm for a sail-back get together. I thought it might be interesting to compare notes on our different cruise experience's as we have certainly had them on this cruise.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Denmal said:

Was the scantuary full on the sailing ?  Do you know of they did anything special when doing the canal??

I only saw 2-3 people there when I checked it out as there were open areas all over the ship.

We did get a narration from the Bridge that lasted from beginning to end with a few breaks as we made the transit.

We also got a Princess Commemorative Certificate "Celebrating our First Panama Canal Transit of 2021.

Hey, I can post this morning!

Essiesmom, i tried for hours on canal day to ask you if I could use two screen shots you posted in my blog, and finally just used them but credited you. Hope that’s ok with you, and thank you!

The Sanctuary on Panama Canal day had a $60 one day special that included mimosas all morning, a continental breakfast buffet and a commemorative photo. I believe it was limited to 32 people.  

The remainder of the cruise, there’s been about 6 to 10 of us up there with some regularity. Service has been amazing, as it has been around the entire ship.

The only disappointment has been that the Terrace Deck and pool has been out of service most of the cruise, and the Lotus pool was covered with algae for days until it was brought to HGM’s personal attention, and then it was emptied and cleaned almost immediately. However, it’s been closed now for two days for painting. 

I think many of us (me included) had the idea that the time out of service was used to work on the various hotel-related parts of these ships. Instead, the hotel-related parts of the ship were disused and deteriorated as a result. They didn’t have the crew on board and couldn’t get contractors (due to travel restrictions) to do anything of the sort. Being on the first Emerald Princess cruise, we’ve seen a lot of things that needed to be fixed. To the ship’s credit, they are working very hard now to address them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

The only disappointment has been that the Terrace Deck and pool has been out of service most of the cruise, and the Lotus pool was covered with algae for days until it was brought to HGM’s personal attention, and then it was emptied and cleaned almost immediately. However, it’s been closed now for two days for painting. 

I would be very unhappy if the Terrace deck and pool were closed for most of a cruise. We often book a room right near there specifically intending to spend a lot of time out there. And then to have another pool also closed? Not very good planning.

6 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Essiesmom, i tried for hours on canal day to ask you if I could use two screen shots you posted in my blog, and finally just used them but credited you. Hope that’s ok with you, and thank you!

The Sanctuary on Panama Canal day had a $60 one day special that included mimosas all morning, a continental breakfast buffet and a commemorative photo. I believe it was limited to 32 people.  

The remainder of the cruise, there’s been about 6 to 10 of us up there with some regularity. Service has been amazing, as it has been around the entire ship.

I think many of us (me included) had the idea that the time out of service was used to work on the various hotel-related parts of these ships. Instead, the hotel-related parts of the ship were disused and deteriorated as a result. They didn’t have the crew on board and couldn’t get contractors (due to travel restrictions) to do anything of the sort. Being on the first Emerald Princess cruise, we’ve seen a lot of things that needed to be fixed. To the ship’s credit, they are working very hard now to address them. 

You are free to use anything I post.  Those are screen shot captures from public cams, so I don’t really consider them as mine.  EM

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Gotta ask ... love your blog and follow it every day. Great read.  But why the hard pass to ventriloquists?  They aren't my fave form of entertainment but they can be funny .... No?

On 10/28/2021 at 5:47 AM, PescadoAmarillo said:

Completely understandable situation that the Emerald is facing and now that they are getting back to PE and the work can continue.  We don't care if there are a few areas that won't be completely finished, we are on a ship.

• Like 1