The Daily for Sunday October 17, 2021

richwmn

Good morning all!

Looks to be a lovely day here. Our food pantry, Feed My People, is having their annual fundraiser-The Manna March-so I’ve been keeping my fingers crossed for good weather.

I am not into gaudy, although I did wear a pair of dachshund socks yesterday, does that count? No ex to forgive. Confess that although my dad was a golfer, I somehow missed the term “mulligan” until I played trivia?? I grew up on red sauce pasta (meh), never understood the attraction, until I had Fettucine Alfredo; at last I found pasta heaven. Of course things like spaghetti carbonara have wayyy more calories and tomato based sauces are healthier, but that’s probably why I love the cream sauces 😉.

I wonder if P.J. O’Rourke has ever had a desire to take a hammer to his PC?

The food and drink are winners today!  I have not been to Ireland, I am expecting some beautiful pictures.

Continued prayers for all on our concern list 🙏. I have talked with my friend Steve’s wife and she has offered to be my mentor as I progress with ALS. Still no word on my liver transplant friend 😢.  And raising a glass for all the celebrations 🍷. I had a celebration yesterday.  I attended our church women’s district meeting where I was honored as “Mission Woman of the Year”. I was so touched to receive this award. I have done mission work for many years (11 mission trips including 4 to Mexico, two to Appalachia, 3 to work in a disaster relief warehouse in Louisiana, one to Joplin after their tornado, one to Crisfield Maryland after Hurricane Sandy).  Along with serving on the Board at Feed My People food pantry, I’ve been more of a hands on person. Now I need to find a different outlet for mission, one I can do from a wheelchair and maybe on my computer (providing I haven’t fought and killed it 😂).

Take care all, and have a beautiful Sunday,

St Louis Sal

• Like 28

@Seasick Sailor,Happy Birthday tomorrow!I also share your birth year.  The party you had looked like a lot of fun.

It is cool here today and a real jacket was required for dog walking earlier. I am celebrating pasta day with a spinach lasagna. My ex was forgiven many years  ago .I would love to visit the port of the day but will be content to look at pictures.

Have a wonderful  day everyone. 

Terry

• Like 16

4 minutes ago, travelnap said:

She is almost thru the last lock, she just needs to raise up and off she goes.

Second of three locks on the way up.  I know there's no webcam for the third lock and not sure if anything is working on the Atlantic side.

Roy

• Like 8

My visit to Cobb was on MS Rotterdam (VI) July 19, 2011 on a transatlantic on the way to Rotterdam. 

cobh.jpg

Cobb has a major place in maritime history as the final port of (with memorials to)  both Titanic:

titanic.jpg

and Luistania:

lusitania.jpg

My tour went to the Blarney castle:

blarney.jpg

There's a nice view from the top of the tower:

blarneyview.jpg

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon.

We are currently sitting in a lovely restaurant having Sunday lunch.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for the care, celebrations and shout out lists.

Nice selection of days.

Nice food and drink.

Cobh is a lovely place to visit.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211017_140251_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20211017_140201_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20211017_140328_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20211017_140321_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20211017_140302_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20211017_140227_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20211017_140217_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

Approaching the final upwards lock there's an interesting view to port as the new canal has already passed through all 3 locks and you can look upwards at ships leaving the new locks.

Roy

Thanks for the tip Roy, i hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

I have talked with my friend Steve’s wife and she has offered to be my mentor as I progress with ALS.

How very kind of her ♥️ It’s good to hear you will have her as support 👍 

30 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

I had a celebration yesterday.  I attended our church women’s district meeting where I was honored as “Mission Woman of the Year”. I was so touched to receive this award. I have done mission work for many years (11 mission trips including 4 to Mexico, two to Appalachia, 3 to work in a disaster relief warehouse in Louisiana, one to Joplin after their tornado, one to Crisfield Maryland after Hurricane Sandy).  Along with serving on the Board at Feed My People food pantry.

Congratulations on the well deserved honour 🙂 

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, travelnap said:

Roy, Do you know if the new locks also have the locomotives pulling the ships thru the locks or do they transit under their own power?

They do not.  They have a tug in the lock with them and sometimes do not even come to a full stop.

Like most I have not been through the new locks but did see some ships go through at the visitor center on the Atlantic side.

Roy

Off to Church.  My first in person worship since 3/8/20 in Melbourne Australia.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Cobh was the last stop for the Titanic before she headed to cross the Atlantic.

250AD4A5-4F83-4D5B-8250-90B31C7F022A.thumb.jpeg.5f91854b123d95dc674c36ca7853bdac.jpeg

White Star Line’s office is still there and has been turned into a museum

345DA76A-4636-480A-BE28-B818620BCA1D.thumb.jpeg.5b5541b8443ba137b79483d30ff382b4.jpeg

While it sounded like a touristy thing to do, this museum is well worth the visit.  They take you through as if you were boarding the ship and you see and experience some of this ocean liner.

Your typical lower class cabin which most people had:

151D520D-8A19-4DF3-AED0-DFF4D65E84DA.thumb.jpeg.58e66e2c1c5e66c264ea283f61cbfe6b.jpeg

D28C20FB-2DC4-47A3-9375-1BEE9FAF0250.thumb.jpeg.3667fb12343264c40b91e765b10051e3.jpeg

The pictures are dark as no flash was allowed.  First class cabin:

485EA203-2817-47ED-A653-46BDD71D259F.thumb.jpeg.1f2cf82c8a33f1475b68b4a897c1d0c6.jpeg

Picture of from the actual time.

01C90A03-8D8E-4602-BE85-A4BB1C028EF1.thumb.jpeg.da567a03ca6929d5413a288f44be537c.jpeg

The passengers that were boarding had to tender here.  There is a dock but the captain wanted to set a record to cross the Atlantic and it was faster to tender than to go to the trouble of docking!  This is the actual pier (or what is left of it)

B10C5AED-D04B-4A6F-BAE3-81A512B68ADA.thumb.jpeg.99cc953d4f1cdb4d271fd164ace3b4aa.jpeg

Very close to the museum is a lovely Irish wool store.  I loved what they had but figured based on their location they would be the priciest.  After checking around, I found out I was wrong and went back and we came out with a hat for DH, a snood & cape for me and a cape for my friend taking care of the house.  I wear the snood all winter.  Love it 🙂   If we can go in May, the cape will go with me 😉 

E36ECD8D-E4FF-4E32-A6A5-3ADD3758768B.thumb.jpeg.1eda4f46cfc351993acf747d3acfe290.jpeg

Beautiful Cobh!

22623FED-167C-4997-96BA-840F2033441D.thumb.jpeg.e7d3bdedd8ab512e9849084a5421b66e.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning friends!  Happy Sunday!  Thank you @richwmnfor this special Daily and thanks also to @rafinmdfor the list of those needing prayers.  I'm sad to hear @JAM37's family is in need of help due to Covid.  Please be careful and keep yourselves safe, too.  Nice photos of your neighborhood birthday celebration for you Joy @Seasick Sailor!  You have made a big impression on your neighbors in just a short time as evidenced by the huge turnout for you.  Not a surprise!

It was good to see Nieuw Amsterdam making her way through the lock this morning.  Always exciting!  Yesterday I was watching some videos on TV and saw a person being air evacuated by the Italian Coast Guard off a ship.  The Eurodam!  The view from the helicopter of that blue hulled bow gently gliding through the sea from above was a thing of beauty.  I was so happy to see a ship I hit replay and watched again!  

@grapau27what a feast!  You two look great as usual.  You only live once so good to see you enjoying life so much.  We all need to remember that.

@St. Louis Salcongrats on your honor.  You sound like you've had a life of service to others and for that we commend you.  🎉

Love pasta day!  No ex to forgive unless I include ex-boyfriends.  I had one who needed forgiveness constantly.  Good thing I got rid of him or what a sad life I'd have had.  😵  I tend not to dress gaudy, more basic colors and solids.  Mulligan day?  That means a do over, right?  Not just in golf.  I can agree with that.  Today's menu item sounds delish.  Honestly the best pork tenderloin I ever ate was on Disney Dream in 2013.  Outstanding!  So moist as well.  It had to be good if I can remember when and where I ate it.

We visited Cobh in 2015 on Royal Princess.  Not only did we enjoy seeing Cobh, which is a lovely town, we also went to Blarney Castle and had a great time there as well.  My best remembrance of Cobh is a purchase I made there.  A sterling silver Celtic knot pendant and neck chain.  The finish on the pendant was so smooth and well done.  I love wearing it.  I see some fab photos of Cobh already so if I can find something different to post, I'll do it.  Otherwise, well done @rafinmdand @kazu!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Another view of the Lusitania memorial only with wreaths laid.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIu-883K1Gvk062Y3n2spWm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189596

Cobh is a hilly place and I liked this view of the houses side by side down the hillside.  Many different colors (to help you find your own home after a trip to the pub?).00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLqVuzpCM7nMqdaEhAlezQZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189603

While walking past those homes we saw this little dog watching us from "their" window.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIRgQUU9Ji8wVFqCFOVLTlg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435194539

Speaking of pubs, could your favorite be this one?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLOz76XV2-7nXgDMuz1Hbmh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189588

Or maybe this pub?  Lots of color again.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ6d5XSPdTFL7_8MHjg526K?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189600

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJHrG2BAYU60V60PpUqQNhx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189584

Annie Moore statue00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIj5VDQyJeZgICS6iZPzriY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189572

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIqvXvCfQFQcYu-NNtf9yWp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189573

In viewing our pictures I see we were in Cobh twice on back to back cruises on Royal Princess.  The first cruise was a spring 2015 transatlantic cruise and on that one we spent our stop that day visiting Blarney Castle.  The second cruise was a British Isles cruise and that is the day we spent in town exploring.  I knew I'd been to Blarney Castle.  We enjoyed these two cruises with our friends from Myrtle Beach whom we met in 2018 getting on our first transatlantic.  Great couple!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

The Koningsdam should be arriving within the hour and hopefully we are able to view it on:

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/california/sandiego/harbor/?cam=sandiego

Well, no one was at the museum to swing the camera. The first 3m of the bow are now in the current view though. Hopefully someone is on duty at the camera this afternoon to capture the departure like last's weekend departure.

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 9

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  When I woke this morning, I honestly thought it was Monday and was looking all over CC for Monday's Daily.  Then I turned on the radio and realized I'd gone one day too far.  LOL  We enjoy pasta from time to time, I still say gaudy is my favourite colour, we don't golf, and I don't have an ex to forgive, although DH does.  We won't go there . . .

Yesterday was a beautiful fall day, so despite the fact that 2 days earlier we'd spent 8 hours in the car, we hopped back in and took a drive into the countryside.  We drove through areas that have beautifully developed acreages along the river with wonderful views, and I'm sure equally high taxes.  We stopped at a little town about an hour away for coffee and were surprised to find they sold home made ice cream, a real treat!

Today is dawning bright and sunny once again, so as strange as this may sound, I think we'll take advantage of the good weather and put the Christmas lights on the house.  We won't turn them on, of course, until the first week of December, but it will be nice to get them up while the weather is nice, rather than freezing our fingers trying to attach them to the gutters.

@JAM37I'm sorry to hear your family's Covid woes - prayers for everyone involved.

@St. Louis Salcongratulations on being honoured as Mission Woman of the Year - we're all proud of you!

@Seasick Sailorearly Happy Birthday to you - what a lovely surprise for you.

I like today's menu suggestion, but don't like the look of pink pork; I know it should be cooked to a certain temperature, but I still like it to look cooked.  I have a small ham that's going into the oven with apple juice and it will cook for a couple of hours this afternoon.  It will be served alongside spaghetti squash and a side salad;  hopefully the temperature will remain warm enough that we can still enjoy dinner on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, wash your hands, be well, wear your masks, and be happy!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 23