Pre Cruise Covid Test Preference for Embarkation

Jeter02

Pre Cruise Covid Test Preference for Embarkation  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which Pre Cruise Covid Test preference do you prefer or plan on using 48hrs prior to embarkation?

• At Home Covid Test Kit (Fee- Instant Results)
    • CVS, Walgreens, Etc (Free - Pray the results come back in time for embarkation)

Which pre cruise covid test you preference do you refer or plan on using 48hrs prior to your cruise embarkation? Are you willing to pay a fee with the at home test kit, and receive your results immediately? Or do go the free route and go to your local pharmacy, and pray that the results come back in time for embarkation?

• Like 1

I plan on doing the at home covid test. I'm too much of a nervous nelly, worried my results from the pharmacy may not come back within the 48hr window. Less stress for me the other way even though there is a fee. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Not enough voting options.  What about testing with cruise line at the pier?  What about paid rapid test?  

Testing at the Pier with Princess is not an option. Its a last resort if needed, as they will not have enough tests for all embarking passengers. 

The rapid test is your at home test kit.

Edited by chabad
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Not enough voting options.  What about testing with cruise line at the pier?  What about paid rapid test?  

2 minutes ago, chabad said:

Testing at the Pier with Princess is not an option. Its a last resort if needed, as they will not have enough tests for all embarking passengers. 

The rapid test is your at home test kit.

Thanks Chabad you beat me to it. 

If you can find it, CVS, Walgreens, Other paid venues have rapid tests.  Survey only says (Free - Pray the results come back in time for embarkation).

Options should be:

1.  Home Proctored Test kit

2.  CVS, etc standard PCR Test (Free - Pray the results come back in time for embarkation)

3.  CVS, etc Rapid test (paid venues included)

Princess does testing at the pier outside of the United States for all passengers.  

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

If you can find it, CVS, Walgreens, Other paid venues have rapid tests.  Survey only says (Free - Pray the results come back in time for embarkation).

Options should be:

1.  Home Proctored Test kit

2.  CVS, etc standard PCR Test (Free - Pray the results come back in time for embarkation)

3.  CVS, etc Rapid test (paid venues included)

Now I need now I need to go back and look at the princess rules and regulations. For some reason I thought the only rapid test that was someone allowed was they at home kit. No matter if you do the local pharmacies or wherever it had to be PCR not a rapid. 

Princess will accept a Rapid Antigen test as well as a Rapid PCR/NAAT test.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

Guests must be tested with a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

• Antigen tests include: 
    • Rapid antigen test
    • Viral antigen test
    • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay,
    • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or
    • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence
  • NAAT include: 
    • PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
    • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
    • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
    • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
    • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
    • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
    • Isothermal amplification
    • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
    • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

5 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Princess will accept a Rapid Antigen test as well as a Rapid PCR/NAAT test.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

Guests must be tested with a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

• Antigen tests include: 
    • Rapid antigen test
    • Viral antigen test
    • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay,
    • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or
    • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence
  • NAAT include: 
    • PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
    • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
    • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
    • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
    • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
    • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
    • Isothermal amplification
    • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
    • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

Oh. Learning something new everyday. Definitely a game changer of an option.  Unfortunately I don't have an option to edit the poll to add that one on.

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 1

For UK sailing in March 2022, I will go to the clinic & pay for the Day 2 test. Then I may have to be tested for free by Princess at the pier 2 days after that. Of course I am hoping tests are no longer required by then. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dog said:

For UK sailing in March 2022, I will go to the clinic & pay for the Day 2 test. Then I may have to be tested for free by Princess at the pier 2 days after that. Of course I am hoping tests are no longer required by then. 

Fingers crossed on March as I also have a booking in march. But I know that it was announced with carnival and princess that they are extending the whole testing till the end of February so looks like I'll be getting for November December and February.

My pre-trip testing history and plans:

September 2021, Celebrity Summit - ordered two proctored at-home tests, only used one

October 2021, not a cruise - heading to my "local" (60 miles away) CVS for a rapid antigen test, at-home test held as a backup

November 2021, Regal Princess - good time to use that second at-home test, I think

March 2022 and beyond - hope pre-cruise testing is no longer required

I answered "CVS, Walgreens, Etc (Free - Pray the results come back in time for embarkation)" except I'm doing the rapid antigen test at CVS just like 8/13/21 for 8/15/21 cruise with results in an hour again. 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ombud said:

I answered "CVS, Walgreens, Etc (Free - Pray the results come back in time for embarkation)" except I'm doing the rapid antigen test at CVS just like 8/13/21 for 8/15/21 cruise with results in an hour again. 

You are the fortunate one.  I was able to schedule two rapid (non cruise related rapid tests in early September/early October.  One Rapid Antigen/One Rapid PCR.  Now that I want one for my cruise, they are not to be found anywhere in my area.  So I am paying another venue to get myself on a cruise.  Sure wish my area had a CVS with availability.  Lots of. PCR's that are not guaranteed back in 2 days.  Not willing to take the chance.  

Like Princess....it all depends.  Policies are changing constantly.

We were able to sign up for the Rapid Antigen test at CVS on the Las Vegas Strip on Oct 28 for r Oct 30 cruise from LA.  .  Got r booster shot ten days ago. Flew from Boston to Spokane, WA Friday.  Started r NW trip to Glacier Natl Park that got cancelled in May 2020.  This is r “Final Frontier” adventure since retiring 4 years ago.  Last Park on r bucket list. Visit my sister in Seattle and son & family in LA before the cruise.  Can’t wait to board. Smooth sailing for everyone.  Last cruise was March 2020.  

• Like 2

Honestly I have been very lucky and never needed to ever get covid tested. Now knowing that they will accept a rapid test from like CVS and Walgreens it sounds very enticing. Please excuse my ignorance with the testing, but are those rapid test at a pharmacy or venue free of cost as well?

We have no problem getting either test done in our area - however, we have to travel on Thanksgiving weekend to the port (Sunday) and need the test Saturday.   My place is not open on the weekend. sigh!

We'll probably go to CVS first thing Saturday morning and hope & pray it will be done timely (as it was the last time used).  My concern is Thanksgiving and backlog of testing for the holiday.

2 hours ago, chabad said:

Honestly I have been very lucky and never needed to ever get covid tested. Now knowing that they will accept a rapid test from like CVS and Walgreens it sounds very enticing. Please excuse my ignorance with the testing, but are those rapid test at a pharmacy or venue free of cost as well?

CVS I know is free for either the PCR or antigen tests.  They'll either bill your insurance, or if you don't have insurance, they'll bill the U.S. government.  I think Walgreens' customer billing policy is similar, but don't quote me on it.

Perhaps a minor point, but isn't the time for the COVID test due two days prior to departure, rather than the more restrictive 48 hours? These requirements change rapidly, so perhaps I am behind the 8-ball ....again......<g>

Are the "at home, instant results" tests  'medically supervised'? Or are they more like the home pregnancy tests without any medical supervision?  I suppose those supervised require using your phone, tablet or a pc <with camera> to complete? Our cruise isn't until the end of February 2022 and I was hoping testing would not be required....but the rules have recently been updated.......BTW, we have had both Moderna shots 7 months ago, and hoping the Moderna booster is available in another month or two.

Doug