Hotel in Vancouver

FLMNCruiseDiva

Check out the West Coast Departures board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/315-west-coast-departures/

The Mods will probably move it there, as that is the more appropriate area for your question.

As mentioned, Pan Pacific is right at the Terminal. But not aware of any that provide transport. There is a light rail system that takes you right downtown. Many discussions on the West Coast board.

24 minutes ago, zen ten ten said:

Another point of view, mine, is that while it is convenient for boarding the ship, hotels at or near the cruise terminal aren't going to add to your ability to see more of Vancouver.

For one night pre-cruise, I would stay on Granville Island (hint: it's not an Island) enjoy that area, and then just taxi down to the pier after checkout. You'll see something completely different on the island (not an island), and then you can still see around the cruise terminal before you sail away, or maybe you have an overnight on board.

There may be one only hotel on the island (it's not an island) but it's nice and there is a lot of activity - markets, dining, entertainment, and so on - on  the ... well, you know.

Or just stay near the pier and taxi to Granville Island (did you know that it’s not an island?👀) and many other interesting places. 

• Haha 1

On 10/18/2021 at 3:39 AM, FLMNCruiseDiva said:

What hotel can you recommend for 11 of us overnight before our Alaska cruise in July 2022?  Are there any that offer transportation from the airport to hotel and then hotel to Princess cruise port?

What is the group breakdown (adults & children) and how many rooms? What is your budget?

Most hotels in Vancouver I am aware of have room capacity of four people (without getting very expensive suites) and I don't know of any hotels with airport and port shuttles. They are pretty far apart.

Budget is the key here.  Pan Pacific you can take the elevator down to the cruise check in.  The Fairmont is just across the street and I recall there's an underground tunnel from the hotel over to the terminal.  We have stayed at both.  When we stayed at the Fairmont the bell person let us borrow a luggage cart to roll across the street and then return.  

• Like 1

My wife and I stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront in August of 2019.  It is spendy (~$300 per night), but I had nightly credits from the hotel booking site I use. We were in Vancouver for two days before our cruise. We took the train in from the airport to the Waterfront Station which is a couple of blocks from the hotel.  Plenty to do in the downtown core with restaurants and touristy things within an easy walk. On the day of the cruise, the hotel bell-staff will take your luggage across the street and check it in for you onto the ship.  This frees up your morning to wonder around the downtown core.  On the morning of the cruise, we walked down to the New Town Bakery in Chinatown for breakfast. It's about a mile walk, but worth it.

No local hotel offers a shuttle to both YVR and the pier - hotels near YVR have shuttles to and from the airport, which will generally be happy to drop you at a SkyTrain station instead. Downtown, a couple of swanky places have towncars but I think the Hampton Inn is the only mid-price hotel with a shuttle - while this would drop at the pier, there's only one of it and first-come, first-served means limited options in when you could find a seat for 11. Distance to ANY downtown hotel though is very short - there are dozens within a mile, flat wide sidewalks downtown so if you can handle wheeling your luggage simply walking is viable from many of them.

With a big group like yours, you may find that taking fewer limos is almost as cheap as taxis are (fixed rates apply from YVR for both limos and cabs) - most of our cabs only handle 3 adults with lots of luggage, even the small number of minivan cabs only have seats for 4pax as they are adapted to hold a wheelchair passenger. Any downtown hotel except the handful right by the pier (Pan Pacific, Fairmont Waterfront & Pacific Rim) and the Sylvia (Stanley Park zone) is in the 'Downtown/Kits' price band for both vehicle types.

If some of your group are Seniors or Kids, Skytrain prices drop - since there's an extra fee to leave the airport groups don't save an awful lot compared to filling a cab even concession rates but if everyone can handle their own bags and budget is tight, you'll always save at least a little - adult fares run $9.35pp on weekdays, $8.05 evenings and weekends. Kids/Senior concessions are $8pp,  or $7 offpeak.

Hotel-wise, the YWCA Hotel offers several 5-bed family rooms as well as the cheapest decent 'regular' hotel rooms in the city; we also have several 'condo hotels' that offer 2 bedroom units, so up to 6 people per unit if there's a sofabed - Rosedale on Robson, Sunset Inn & Suites, Times Square Suites have all survived the Covid closures, and with more tourism this year are likely to still be open next summer too.

As previously mentioned, lots of good hotels that are close enough to the pier that walking is an option, even with a large group and luggage. I've stayed at and can recommend:

- Pan Pacific (at the pier, just take elevator down to customs/loading area)

- Fairmont Waterfront (cross street from Pier, very spendy)

- Marriott Pinnacle (2 blocks from pier)

- Pinnacle Harbourfront (across from the Marriott, just as good, less spendy)

- Delta Hotel (4 blocks from pier)

- Executive Hotel, Holiday Inn, Sylvia Hotel - all at the other "end" of Vancouver from pier so less expenseive but a taxi would be required so final $ will be similar for your group.

If you don't collect points for any of the above hotels, check out stayvancouverhotels.com for some good deals. They are a reseller, so no cancellations possible, but they do have good prices and often include a $100 prepaid visa, ticket for events, etc,  for each room so the savings can be significant.

The idea of staying at Granville island  or elsewhere in the city really depends on whether you've been to Vancouver already and what time you're arriving. If arriving late and just planning on getting to the pier next day, then stay close. If you've never been to Vancouver, stay close to pier as there is lots to see and do within walking distance of the pier (it is literally in the centre of the city).