Labadee port replacement?

On 10/18/2021 at 1:45 PM, BND said:

I agree.  It's too volatile a country and with the recent events (assassination in particular) it's just not stable enough of a government.   While Labadee  is kind of isolated from the rest of the country, it would be fairly easy to get to the area and cause problems.  A gang has kidnapped 17 missionaries just in the last few days and those are the groups that have been there for years trying to help.

One Cruise Critic member who did a recent trip report said she had it reported to her by crew members that Haitians had over-run Labadee.  Living in the facilities and cabanas. The island was trashed since there was no security on Labadee. So I think Royal will write it off and purchase/lease more independent islands like Coco Cay that they can develop. It is a shame because I really did like Labadee...

27 minutes ago, CruiszBug said:

One Cruise Critic member who did a recent trip report said she had it reported to her by crew members that Haitians had over-run Labadee.  Living in the facilities and cabanas. The island was trashed since there was no security on Labadee. So I think Royal will write it off and purchase/lease more independent islands like Coco Cay that they can develop. It is a shame because I really did like Labadee...

I saw that.  RCI spent a lot of money improving there with the pier and other buildings, but it's just not worth the headache for them.

We may sail with Daughter, Son-in-Law and Grandsons on Mariner in April on the Eastern 5 night itinerary that includes Labadee.  I wonder if they will change this to the Western 5 night itinerary and go to Cozumel, if safety concerns persist.  I like this itinerary better.  

On 10/25/2021 at 11:48 AM, rockmom said:

I'm on your same sailing and we have a bungalow booked, but my biggest concern is that this stays an eastern itinerary and doesn't flip to a western as we've done western so many times and have no desire to visit Cozumel (or for that matter Nassau) yet again.  We have rebooked/lifted and shifted this cruise a few times, trying to keep either an eastern or southern itinerary.  Really hoping we hear something soon, but my guess is that it will be a while before they decide.  They already canceled the on excursion we had booked for St. Thomas and there's nothing else that was even close (kayak and snorkel in mangroves), so we are already on the hunt for something good there again.  Let's hope we know something soon!  

I feel the same.  I have not booked any excursions yet but I have been to Cozumel several times.  Each time we went to Mr Sanchos. The friends traveling with us have never been to Cozumel so if we shift west we will make due.  

Went to Nassau in 2019 and again on the freedom in October.  I did not get off the ship on the second trip and had a sea day. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2021 at 12:18 PM, SheSailsFL said:

For my April sailing, Labadee has been changed to Cozumel.  The app still shows Labadee but when I log in to “manage my cruise” on the full site and search for my reservation number & sail date, the change is visible.  

I sail with a large (25 Cabin ) group on April 2022 and they still have us visiting Labadee.  Many of my group will cancel if we go there..  Any one heard of anything changing for April 2022 sailings..RCL will not respond to me..

• Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 12:18 PM, SheSailsFL said:

For my April sailing, Labadee has been changed to Cozumel.  The app still shows Labadee but when I log in to “manage my cruise” on the full site and search for my reservation number & sail date, the change is visible.  

My April 23rd sailing still shows Labadee..

7 minutes ago, Horseman0424 said:

I sail with a large (25 Cabin ) group on April 2022 and they still have us visiting Labadee.  Many of my group will cancel if we go there..  Any one heard of anything changing for April 2022 sailings..RCL will not respond to me..

Seems a little drastic to cancel the cruise if Labadee is on the itinerary .

You dont have to get off the ship , enjoy your time on the ship with reduced number of passengers on the ship.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, loman said:

You dont have to get off the ship , enjoy your time on the ship with reduced number of passengers on the ship.

It is not that hard to storm a cruise ship anchored at jetty with guns. Who is going to stop these gunmen without their sea cards at the gangway?

4 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

So wacky you see armed soldiers and police stationed at cruise ports in Mexico, Caribbean and even in US.  

The chances of RCI putting its customers at risk (making a port call) from invading Haitians at Labadee are probably smaller than them doing away with mask mandates next month.

Biker, is waiting for ace to weigh in on this one.

24 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

It is not that hard to storm a cruise ship anchored at jetty with guns. Who is going to stop these gunmen without their sea cards at the gangway?

If it got to that point do you think RC would dock there ?

I wouldnt worry about it though as this destination wont be available any time soon, if ever.

• Like 1

Just now, loman said:

If it got to that point do you think RC would dock there ?

I wouldnt worry about it though as this destination wont be available any time soon, if ever.

Agree. Not until Haitian government gets a grip on the security situation which seems unlikely. And then there is a business decision on how much it will cost RCCL to fix the place up back to where it was. I doubt RCCL will  go back to Labadee any time soon.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2021 at 6:01 PM, sfaaa said:

That happened in the 80s with the Achile Lauro didn't it?

It is becoming apparent that cruise ships have less places to go in the Caribbean because of too much COVID and too much internal strife / crime. A Cancun beach was shot up last week by a couple guys that arrived on jet skis. I'm beginning to think that a trip in the USA (less certain cities) will be in our future.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

It is becoming apparent that cruise ships have less places to go in the Caribbean because of too much COVID and too much internal strife / crime. A Cancun beach was shot up last week by a couple guys that arrived on jet skis. I'm beginning to think that a trip in the USA (less certain cities) will be in our future.

I had not heard that. Yet people don't see how anything could possibly happen at Labadee.