Just some questions.

Dolebludger

21 hours ago, Oldone79 said:

OK very anxious to hear that story as we sail on the American Countess in 2022.

We took one Viking River cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam years ago and made the mistake of comparing it to our 40+ ocean cruises which was a big mistake. Ocean cruises hire very experienced servers from foreign countries. The river cruise had mostly inexperienced people in comparison. Meal selections were underwhelming and luch buffet left much to be desired.  As a result we went back to ocean cruises.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts....was it American Queen, Covid, or inexperienced people from the USA that made the dinner service terrible? 

These USA river cruises are so very, very expensive.  Do you think we should go not expecting much except to just enjoy the river and figure the price is just what the price is?  We can still cancel and just loose $500 and our insurance premium so anxious to hear your thoughts.  Thanks

Covid and inexperienced people both. Our server (Randall) had 5 years on the boat but his assistant was new (and not really interested in "serving" people). Server was let go after a couple of days. (Good bye, off the boat entirely) New assistant after a few days.

Seems they work 6 weeks then get 2 weeks off. Our new assistant (E.J.) was just coming back from her time off.

The biggest problem was the kitchen. We would be seated by 5:15, order by 5:30. Our appetizers and starters would be served within a reasonable amount of time. The first 4 nights our dinner would not be served until 7:15 or 7:30 and would be cold, cooked incorrectly or plated incorrectly. Unacceptable. Finally, my husband had a discussion with the maitre d'. He apologized over and over and admitted that there was an "issue" with the kitchen and not our server (which we already knew). The last 3 nights we had quick service and hot food. 

Some of the problem appeared to be training also. I had to ask for fresh ground pepper always. It was never offered. Drinks, other than water, were not offered if you weren't drinking the wine of the day. That was offered over and over. We had to ask for coffee with dessert, again, not offered. However, it was usually cold so we stopped asking.

Breakfast in the main dining room could be interesting too. There was a small buffet but you could also order off a menu. No eggs at the buffet so my husband would gather some things from the buffet and then order some eggs freshly cooked. At the buffet they would mostly hand you things to avoid you touching the serving utensils. (makes sense to me)

I do understand that you can't compare the service to a large ship where the servers want to do this for a living and are well trained. But the service in the dining room (at these prices) should be like a very good restaurant on land.

And it definitely was not.

21 hours ago, uktog said:

I have just watched a video from their director of product services aimed at travel agents and it is correct, they are including drinks throughout the cruise - apart from the top shelf ones, but the list I saw, all the brands were fine by me - to give you context, they are brands from Azamara's Premium (paid for) package and some are even brands in the Ultimate Package.  Darn it I should have taken OBC when they were sorting out our move oh well.....

Thanks for the info!

On 10/25/2021 at 2:31 PM, adstz said:

Covid and inexperienced people both. Our server (Randall) had 5 years on the boat but his assistant was new (and not really interested in "serving" people). Server was let go after a couple of days. (Good bye, off the boat entirely) New assistant after a few days.

Seems they work 6 weeks then get 2 weeks off. Our new assistant (E.J.) was just coming back from her time off.

The biggest problem was the kitchen. We would be seated by 5:15, order by 5:30. Our appetizers and starters would be served within a reasonable amount of time. The first 4 nights our dinner would not be served until 7:15 or 7:30 and would be cold, cooked incorrectly or plated incorrectly. Unacceptable. Finally, my husband had a discussion with the maitre d'. He apologized over and over and admitted that there was an "issue" with the kitchen and not our server (which we already knew). The last 3 nights we had quick service and hot food. 

Some of the problem appeared to be training also. I had to ask for fresh ground pepper always. It was never offered. Drinks, other than water, were not offered if you weren't drinking the wine of the day. That was offered over and over. We had to ask for coffee with dessert, again, not offered. However, it was usually cold so we stopped asking.

Breakfast in the main dining room could be interesting too. There was a small buffet but you could also order off a menu. No eggs at the buffet so my husband would gather some things from the buffet and then order some eggs freshly cooked. At the buffet they would mostly hand you things to avoid you touching the serving utensils. (makes sense to me)

I do understand that you can't compare the service to a large ship where the servers want to do this for a living and are well trained. But the service in the dining room (at these prices) should be like a very good restaurant on land.

And it definitely was not.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer it is appreciated. 

8 minutes ago, Oldone79 said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer it is appreciated. 

Interesting...just reading on ACL post from current cruiser who felt the food was bad and had to get in line for their own drinks and take them to their seats.  She didn't like having to order dinner at breakfast time and to have only 3 choices. They ate 2 dinners and 1 lunch off the boat it was so bad. She mentioned how expensive the cruise was and how dissappointing. Her comparison was made to a Uniworld River cruise she'd taken.  She felt the value was not there for this cruise on the Jazz.

This makes me wonder if it is just USA river cruises that leave much to be desired in their dining rooms?  I am hoping that by next September things will look up.  I have read positive reviews from repeat cruisers so lets just hope it has been because of all of this Covid pandemic that has turned  the world upside down.

It is hard to think if they are always this bad that the cruise companies can keep going.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a question which relates to American River Cruises in general. We have done a few ocean cruises where we generally get at least an Oceanview cabin or a Balcony cabin. Never have gotten an Inside cabin as we like natural daylight when it's available. As such, how is it to travel on a river boat in an Inside cabin? My understanding is that the river boats travel from port to port at night so don't know whether we would be missing much without a window or balcony. Anyway would greatly appreciate to know the pros and cons of an Inside cabin. 🤔

Dave

2 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

This is a question which relates to American River Cruises in general. We have done a few ocean cruises where we generally get at least an Oceanview cabin or a Balcony cabin. Never have gotten an Inside cabin as we like natural daylight when it's available. As such, how is it to travel on a river boat in an Inside cabin? My understanding is that the river boats travel from port to port at night so don't know whether we would be missing much without a window or balcony. Anyway would greatly appreciate to know the pros and cons of an Inside cabin. 🤔

Dave

On the Duchess (2 weeks) last August, we had plenty of time on our veranda to enjoy the river. Many departures were late afternoon and there was still a lot of daylight left. Even at night, I would still want to be able to step outside once in a while...especially when "locking-through" or encountering other river traffic. For me, its always a balcony!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

...how is it to travel on a river boat in an Inside cabin?

A little claustrophobic, perhaps.  But on balance, I think it is worth it.

We have been on just one AQSC cruise (Duchess) and we decided to go with an inside cabin.  When the cruise was over, we decided we had probably made the right decision.  Our reasons:

- On AQSC, huge price difference between inside and outside cabins

- Balconies are, in my experience overrated -- space constraints, can't use in poor weather

- Quality of the inside cabin was excellent - little difference between inside and out (except where comparing with the high levels of outside cabins)

- Didn't spend much daytime time in the cabin anyway  

5 hours ago, DaveinCharlotte said:

A little claustrophobic, perhaps.  But on balance, I think it is worth it.

We have been on just one AQSC cruise (Duchess) and we decided to go with an inside cabin.  When the cruise was over, we decided we had probably made the right decision.  Our reasons:

- On AQSC, huge price difference between inside and outside cabins

- Balconies are, in my experience overrated -- space constraints, can't use in poor weather

- Quality of the inside cabin was excellent - little difference between inside and out (except where comparing with the high levels of outside cabins)

- Didn't spend much daytime time in the cabin anyway  

Perfect. Gives me the info I need. It's not that I cannot afford the much higher cost of cabins with windows or balconies. It's just that I don't care to afford the higher cost. 

Thanks Much.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 2:01 PM, Dolebludger said:

Out of curiosity, are American Queen river cruises all inclusive? By that I mean open bar, included shore excursions and activities, included air, and included tips. If not all these things, which of them (if any) are included in the fare?

The American Queen is not all inclusive, but close. There is an open bar but doesn't include premium labels, shore excursions meaning their Hop-on/Hop-off buses are included at each stop, but there are some premium excursions that are more in-depth are not. Activities on the boat are included. Air and tips are not included. Food is included, including room service. Hope this helps. Entertainment in the evenings is included showroom show, piano bar, and usually music in the Paddlewheel Bar.

On 10/24/2021 at 4:21 PM, Oldone79 said:

OK very anxious to hear that story as we sail on the American Countess in 2022.

We took one Viking River cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam years ago and made the mistake of comparing it to our 40+ ocean cruises which was a big mistake. Ocean cruises hire very experienced servers from foreign countries. The river cruise had mostly inexperienced people in comparison. Meal selections were underwhelming and luch buffet left much to be desired.  As a result we went back to ocean cruises.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts....was it American Queen, Covid, or inexperienced people from the USA that made the dinner service terrible? 

These USA river cruises are so very, very expensive.  Do you think we should go not expecting much except to just enjoy the river and figure the price is just what the price is?  We can still cancel and just loose $500 and our insurance premium so anxious to hear your thoughts.  Thanks

I was on the Queen in August just after they started sailing again. They were very under staff and had trouble hiring their quality help. Hopefully, over time they can get back to their Queen standards. We had a waitress that had no wait experience. Her head waiter was great and many other waiters and waitresses were also great, but their were many that didn't meet the grade. The food was still very good and well presented, but the wait for it was sometimes unbearable.  If you never been on the Paddlewheeler I would give it a chance, and hopefully they are better. I have 5 cruises already booked 2 on the Duchess, 1 on the Countess, and 1 each on Victory 1 and 2  in 2022 and 2023.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 9:59 AM, Mackdogmolly said:

My 2022 brochure says complimentary wine and beer at lunch and dinner and “nightly complimentary cocktail hours.” As well as complimentary non-alcoholic beverages 24 hours a day. I wish they would make up their mind!

Alcoholic drinks are complimentary anytime the bars are open, which is most of the day/night. Premium alcohol is not included. 

On 11/5/2021 at 10:16 AM, Floridastorm said:

Dave

The main difference is the price and size. Inside cabins are very small with no windows. On the Queen they have inside, outside (no balcony), open veranda meaning balcony is in shared walking space, private veranda meaning private balcony, and different types of suites with shared balconies and private balconies. Yes, the boat travels between ports mainly in the evenings but does travel with some sunlight also. If you are the type that spends allot of time in your cabin, then inside cabin would not be a good choice. If you are out and about and only use your cabin for sleeping then it maybe ok. I found the entertainment was very good, the music around the ship is also very good. You'll get a chance to see the internal parts of America, and lots of history. I have 5 AQV cruises booked for 2022/2023. I ready!

On 11/9/2021 at 6:23 PM, blubberwon said:

If you never been on the Paddlewheeler I would give it a chance, and hopefully they are better. I have 5 cruises already booked 2 on the Duchess, 1 on the Countess, and 1 each on Victory 1 and 2  in 2022 and 2023.

Thank you for sharing.  The fact that you have 5 cruises booked certainly conveys your thoughts on cruising with this line.

We have decided that 2022 and 2023 will see us onboard the American Countess and plan to enjoy a relaxing cruise on the rivers of our country. We see many more reviews about the American Queen and personally being on a "real steam padlewheeler" is not that important to us- the paddlewheeler look will be just fine.  After many years of Ocean cruising we no longer are looking for entertainment to keep us occupied nor are we cruising for "fine dining". From the looks of things Covid is far from gone but hopefully AQV will be able to hire and keep experienced staff and long wait times for food will be a thing of the past. 

There seems to be little said on CC about the American Countess except for a couple of nice reviews with photos. It would be nice if those that have taken a cruise on her would come back with their thoughts. I've been a member of CC for years longer than my profile shows-  (forgot password/changed email address so could not get old account back) and have always enjoyed reading what others have had to say about their cruise - reviews are OK but comments seem to mean more.

Again, thanks to both you and adstz for your comments about the dining room

On 11/12/2021 at 5:06 PM, Oldone79 said:

Thank you for sharing.  The fact that you have 5 cruises booked certainly conveys your thoughts on cruising with this line.

We have decided that 2022 and 2023 will see us onboard the American Countess and plan to enjoy a relaxing cruise on the rivers of our country. We see many more reviews about the American Queen and personally being on a "real steam padlewheeler" is not that important to us- the paddlewheeler look will be just fine.  After many years of Ocean cruising we no longer are looking for entertainment to keep us occupied nor are we cruising for "fine dining". From the looks of things Covid is far from gone but hopefully AQV will be able to hire and keep experienced staff and long wait times for food will be a thing of the past. 

There seems to be little said on CC about the American Countess except for a couple of nice reviews with photos. It would be nice if those that have taken a cruise on her would come back with their thoughts. I've been a member of CC for years longer than my profile shows-  (forgot password/changed email address so could not get old account back) and have always enjoyed reading what others have had to say about their cruise - reviews are OK but comments seem to mean more.

Again, thanks to both you and adstz for your comments about the dining room

I’m a big fan of the American Queen, especially for all the great entertainment.

For the first time we took the Duchess in May, and I was not impressed. Granted early in the year but dining room service was poor and a lack of music compared to the AQ. And the decor lacks charm.  However our room was spacious.

I had low expectations for the Countess but I really liked her. In the lobby and dining room the view of the river was wonderful. Comfortable spaces (library, card room, grand lobby) to hang out in. The theater had a nice layout and I liked the tiered seating. The quality of the entertainment was very high but like the Duchess limited compared to the Queen. I will say the Countess had a limited number of guests, so I’m not sure if it would feel crowded at full capacity.

I did like the Duchess River Grill, especially the spacious outside area. On the Countess the outside eating area fell short, the spray from the paddlewheel was strong making it impossible to be out there.

The Queen still wins out but we would take a Countess trip again.

16 minutes ago, AQJazz said:

I’m a big fan of the American Queen, especially for all the great entertainment.

For the first time we took the Duchess in May, and I was not impressed. Granted early in the year but dining room service was poor and a lack of music compared to the AQ. And the decor lacks charm.  However our room was spacious.

I had low expectations for the Countess but I really liked her. In the lobby and dining room the view of the river was wonderful. Comfortable spaces (library, card room, grand lobby) to hang out in. The theater had a nice layout and I liked the tiered seating. The quality of the entertainment was very high but like the Duchess limited compared to the Queen. I will say the Countess had a limited number of guests, so I’m not sure if it would feel crowded at full capacity.

I did like the Duchess River Grill, especially the spacious outside area. On the Countess the outside eating area fell short, the spray from the paddlewheel was strong making it impossible to be out there.

Thank you so much for sharing,  we have a cruise in May on the Duchess, then the Great Lakes in June on Victory I, and lastly a back to back Duchess and Countess in July/August. Hopefully, the staff will improve their work experience,  then what we had in August on the Queen.  We will definitely find out, cruising the rivers and lakes of the USA. We have found the entertainment in AQV very good and the meals as well. 

19 hours ago, AQJazz said:

Thank you for sharing about the Countess.  We will have to consider the Queen for the future if we can find her sailing on other than the lower Mississippi when the time works for us.

Edited by Oldone79
add

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, cdcampione said:

Queen Dress Code.............Is there a dining venue where you can have dinner wearing nice dress shorts and a collared shirt?

2 places to eat most nights. Dining room - most people dressed nice but I don't think you would be turned away if you weren't. Or the Front Porch which is buffet with no dress code.

It's more about how comfortable you would be.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, adstz said:

2 places to eat most nights. Dining room - most people dressed nice but I don't think you would be turned away if you weren't. Or the Front Porch which is buffet with no dress code.

It's more about how comfortable you would be.

Perfect, thank you so much. We live in Palm Desert where it's hot most of the year so even "dressy" is pretty casual by most standards. My husband prefers to short pants but he always makes sure he dresses them up with a nice shirt.

1 hour ago, cdcampione said:

Queen Dress Code.............Is there a dining venue where you can have dinner wearing nice dress shorts and a collared shirt?

Don't know about the Queen, but on the Duchess last August, shorts were not allowed in the main dining room during dinner.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TinCan782 said:

Don't know about the Queen, but on the Duchess last August, shorts were not allowed in the main dining room during dinner.

8 minutes ago, TinCan782 said: