The Daily for Tuesday October 19, 2021

richwmn

Today is Evaluate Your Life Day, New Friends Day, and Rainforest Day

It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance. - Thomas Sowell

Meal suggestion for today - Baked Spaghetti

Drink of the Day - The Blenheim

Wine of the day - Snoqualmic Winemakers Select Riesling - Washington - White

Destination of the Day - Skjolden Norway

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Adriatic Sea
Eurodam Destination Zadar

Cabo San Lucas
Koningsdam Baja California Mexico 10:00 - 18:00

Oranjestad, Aruba Island
Nieuw Amsterdam Dutch Antilles 08:00 - 19:00

Ships without Passengers

Amsterdam NL
Rotterdam

At Sea Ionian Sea
Volendam Destination Corfu GR eta 10/19

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination Los Angeles CA US eta 10/30
Westerdam Destination Puerto Vallarta MX eta 10/23

Corfu GR
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Rotterdam NL
Oosterdam

1019Europe.thumb.png.d8fdc8397ab7d3f485337127df86dcea.png

1019NAmerica.thumb.png.6618069710b8793f626711f504345f1c.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Evaluate your life day - hmmm - basically, I'm happy with my life.  🙂  I wish everyone could say that.

I'd like to make some new friends, and keep my old ones too.  The Rainforest needs to be preserved.

Interesting quote.

The meal suggestion sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

Hope the drink of the day and wine are tasty too.

We've been to Norway, but not this port.  Hoping to see lots of pictures.

Prayers for everyone.

A nice day is in our forecast, a high of 18C this afternoon, not bad for this time of the year.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 24

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  We're all probably evaluating our lives in these times.  New Friends are valuable and the Rainforest is vital.  I like both the Sowell quote and the baked spaghetti.  I have not been to Skjolden.  My alternative menu suggestion is Lingonberry Soup, Macadamia Crusted Chicken, Apple Buckle, and Strawberry Ice Cream as served in MS Amsterdam Lido October 19, 2017 after returning from a late tour in Bepppu, Japan.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/dishes19.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Colin Powell
RIP FF Pierre Lacroix
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo
StLouisSal not hearing from friend with liver transplant
1Angelcat awaotomg biopsy
cunorl (lymphona) and DH’s (stroke) sisters
Covid in JAM37's family
From the rotation:
HAL Sailor DH health issues
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid

Celebrations and Shoutouts

3 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Aliaschief in Pinnacle Suite
Cruising-along, Vict0riann,/ Lady President/ AncientWanderer,  Sharon, lindaler, and lazey1  at sea
2 days for Gail&Marty and Rotterdam
Lady Hudson at Canaveral (Oasis OTS)
JAM37 DGS Negative and DD improving
Sharon at a women’s retreat
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 8

Good Tuesday morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  Love the three days.  We’ve been evaluating our retirement plans lately as we’re realizing how short life is.  Love making new friends.  Nothing more important than the world’s rainforests. Love today’s humbling quote.  Baked spaghetti sounds nice but for another day perhaps.  Haven’t been to today’s port and eagerly await the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today and cheers to all celebrating a happy event today. 🥳 

• Like 24

Good morning! Just arriving Aruba. Our plan is to stay on board and bask at Sea View Pool after breakfast. Executive chef stopped by to visit us last night. He has his fingers crossed that his order of lobster tails will be here in Aruba for his last Gala night.

Our concierge has his fingers crossed that they can find a part for the broken coffee machine in Neptune otherwise it’s kaput until Port Everglades. The substitute coffee machine produces but is work extensive for staff.

Last night another memorable dinner in the Tamarind. Instead of show we opted for sitting on Verandha and enjoying the moon, stars and wonderful sounds of being at sea.

Thanks Rich, Roy and all our contributors. Life is good on MS Nieuw Amsterdam.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! Just arriving Aruba. Our plan is to stay on board and bask at Sea View Pool after breakfast. Executive chef stopped by to visit us last night. He has his fingers crossed that his order of lobster tails will be here in Aruba for his last Gala night.

Our concierge has his fingers crossed that they can find a part for the broken coffee machine in Neptune otherwise it’s kaput until Port Everglades. The substitute coffee machine produces but is work extensive for staff.

Last night another memorable dinner in the Tamarind. Instead of show we opted for sitting on Verandha and enjoying the moon, stars and wonderful sounds of being at sea.

Thanks Rich, Roy and all our contributors. Life is good on MS Nieuw Amsterdam.

Chief:  Thanks for your live reports.

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  We're all probably evaluating our lives in these times.  New Friends are valuable and the Rainforest is vital.  I like both the Sowell quote and the baked spaghetti.  I have not been to Skjolden.  My alternative menu suggestion is Lingonberry Soup, Macadamia Crusted Chicken, Apple Buckle, and Strawberry Ice Cream as served in MS Amsterdam Lido October 19, 2017 after returning from a late tour in Bepppu, Japan.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/dishes19.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Colin Powell
RIP FF Pierre Lacroix
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo
StLouisSal not hearing from friend with liver transplant
1Angelcat awaotomg biopsy
cunorl (lymphona) and DH’s (stroke) sisters
Covid in JAM37's family
From the rotation:
HAL Sailor DH health issues
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid

Celebrations and Shoutouts

3 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Aliaschief in Pinnacle Suite
Cruising-along, Vict0riann,/ Lady President/ AncientWanderer,  Sharon, lindaler, and lazey1  at sea
2 days for Gail&Marty and Rotterdam
Lady Hudson at Canaveral (Oasis OTS)
JAM37 DGS Negative and DD improving
Sharon at a women’s retreat
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy,  Thanks for posting the  Care and shout Out lists so faithfully each day.

• Like 8

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

I'm not of Italian heritage but have always felt that Italian food tastes better reheated on the second day. When I was on the FD we would take turns cooking the evening meal. One of the fellows did a baked pasta dish that was very tasty. If I made it at home, I would tell my daughters that we are having "Clay Rusch" for dinner tonight!

Being able to evaluate your life is a skill honed through age.

• Like 23

I doubt very many of us have been to Skjolden, Norway, but I think a lot of us have been to Flam.  Flam is located on the same major fjord, Sognefjorden.  Skjolden is at the end of another "finger fjord" of that.  I'm sure the Scandanavians will not approve of my use of finger fjord!  Regardless, a beautiful part of the world.

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1497.JPG

IMG_1511.JPG

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

Good morning all! 

I never made it back yesterday to post (too bad, I would have sung praises for a good meatloaf 😂)

I like the days today. The Rainforest is essential to earth, it’s continued destruction is a threat to us all. I have made many new friends here on the Daily!  I am big on evaluating my life-I have always made 1 year and 5 year plans. That has been a big issue with ALS, it required major reevaluation of my one year plan and my 5 year plan had to be scrapped and I will just have to wing it. The quote from Sowell fits nicely.

Love baked pasta dishes, not sure if it’s the melding of the flavors in the oven or the extra cheese I sprinkle on the top that hooks me 😉.  Looking forward to a new recipe or two. Haven’t had a Blenheim, curious about the ingredients. A Washington State Riesling-yum.

Haven’t been to Norway, I’m betting the pictures shared will be spectacular. Love that the NA is in Aruba. Years before I cruised, a church friend shared pictures of her cruise to Aruba, I wanted to go there so much. I was thrilled when I finally made it!

Nothing too exciting happening today. I thought I had a zoom meeting last night for church, but then I realized it was in person. They wore masks and distanced, but I decided to just send my report-I’m trying to keep my trips down, as DH has to put the scooter in and out of the car. The heaviest piece is 38 pounds and when you are 82, that’s a lot of lifting.

Continued prayers for our concern list 🙏. I still have no word on my friend with the liver transplant. We have a mutual friend who I know is closer to them, I may reach out to her today.  And here’s to all the celebrations 🍷.

Take care all,

St Louis Sal

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from a raining 62°F North East of England.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for all the lists.

A lot of us on here are new friends even though we have never met in person.

Rainforests are vital and it is worrying how much is being cut down for farming.

Hopefully we are all happy with how our lives have developed over the years.

I will give the food and drink a miss and never been to today's port so looking forward to seeing photos.

Unusual quote.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Take care.

Graham 

Screenshot_20211019_125447.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, everyone.  

I see the CC gremlins live on.  I was sure that an expenditure of money would take care of that!  Well, at least the bluetooth keyboard works well and it was reasonable in price.  Now I need a bluetooth mouse to go along with it.

I think COVID has made most of us re-evaluate life.   With the exception of not being able to see family for long stretches of time, I am happy in this life.  It has given me all I need and a lot of extras.  The fact that I hang out on a cruise forum speaks to the extras.  

As @St. Louis Salsaid, I have made many new friends here on the CC Daily.  That is why the CC gremlin is such an annoyance.   I feel cut off from my friends and family!!

Ok, baked spaghetti.   I used to make this all the time.  It was easy and good.  Now that I have to watch the carbs, I don't make it anymore.  

https://www.spendwithpennies.com/baked-spaghetti-casserole/

SpendWithPennies-Baked-Spaghetti-22.thumb.jpg.9728c8d115a99114efdd091e2f30c494.jpg

This next one takes it to a higher level.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/baked_spaghetti/

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__simply_recipes__uploads__2013__04__baked-spaghetti-horiz-1600-ad691aaf89a04285b2a1205c9ac90cf0.webp.d3ad6a665f4b33caa4b78f3e6895e9eb.webp

Prayers for those in need and a toast to those who are celebrating.   Oh, my gosh, that reminds me of something.   Have you heard of the wine shortage?   I immediately thought of my Daily friends and family.   

https://fox8.com/news/wine-shortage-could-result-from-supply-chain-issue/

Stock up!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 9

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! These three days bear repeating every day.

25 million folk in the USA reevaluated their lives in February & March of this year & resigned from their jobs. Health care workers burnt out. Hospitality workers concerned about their employer’s lack of COVID protocols. Poor pay, benefits & treatment. PBS did an interview with a man who studied the event. He interviewed people who resigned. The worst, IMO, was the woman who asked for a week off after her husband died and was told “It was not a convenient time.”  It will be interesting to read how history records this. 

Roy thank you for keeping our lists! Morning Dailyite family! The moon was spectacular last night. It lit up my back yard and pool through the night. Another cool morning, though 66 was a bit warmer than yesterday’s 64. 
Off to the gym. And we may visit our Winery tonight to watch the moon come up.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Snoqualmic Winemakers Select Riesling

This Riesling is on the drier side of balanced and has very good reviews from consumers. The most recent vintages are available from several online distributors with prices starting at $7.49. At that price, I might just buy a bottle and if it is too sweet for me - use the rest for cooking. 
Winemaker Notes

This Columbia Valley Riesling opens with intense aromas of golden peach and dried apricot that give way to succulent fruit flavors, with a hint of honey, and finishes with crisp,juicy acidity.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6

Good morning Daily-ites. Thank you Rich, Roy and faithful contributors.

I'm back on my phone again. CC has me baffled. 

Had a great birthday dinner last night. Friends brought my favorite cake. The whole restaurant joined in singing. My girlfriend is an opera singer and really belted out the last part. People even stood and clapped for her. They wanted more!

New friends day is my favorite. I really enjoy getting to know people and hear about their lives.

Hoping some one shows up to get started on the bath sheetrock today. Probably just in time to compete with our cleaning lady.

Prayers, cheers, and blessings. 

• Like 21

Good morning friends!  Couldn't believe it was 43F again this morning, so another day with cold hands on our walk to the gym.  Tuesdays are great because there's no waiting for machines.  We were in and out quickly.  Cheers to new friends, rainforests, and evaluating your life.  Interesting quote.  The baked spaghetti recipes look great.  We're not baking anything right now since the oven is working sub-par.  DH ordered an oven temperature sensor and is trying to install it in case that is the problem, but it's difficult to do.  If that fails, we'll have to get a repairman over here to evaluate.  We tried trying the convection feature last week on scalloped potatoes and it helped some but the potatoes weren't done the way they usually turn out. 

We haven't been to Skjolden as far as I know, but we love Norway so am happy to see some photos.  Thank you @St Pete Cruiserfor your pictures!

Looking forward to seeing the Rotterdam added to the ships with passengers list.  We're getting the numbers up slowly but surely.  

Have a great day!

• Like 23