promenade room - independence of the seas

lolalow

I have found a couple reviews but wanted some more input.  We are currently in 2 connecting interiors and thinking about upgrading to connecting promenade. Some people say they can hear the noise others cant.  I do realize deck 6 would be more noisy.  I am particularly interested between 11pm-8am.   I do need quiet to sleep even light music will bother me.  Can you hear the background music that is played 24/7 in promenade even a little? What time are the parties usually?  My son has autism and likes lights that change colors- any particular place for good view of the changing lights?      

• Like 2

6305 ben and Jerry's on my bucket list but I read its noisy but I want to watch what's going on enough to put up with noise.

Get deck 7 or 8 I guess if you dont want the noise. I book them to be around the hustle and bustle and I have trouble sleeping. There is a bar they sing at plus just cafe and other noise. No one has said the parades are back. 

If you really dont want noise I'd avoid deck 6 though I've had noise everywhere. My sept cruise the first morning by 6 am people were slamming their doors. I'd forgotten about how it can be like living in a dorm. 

• Like 3

We had an promenade room on Deck 6 on Independence.  There weren't any oceanview cabins available and I thought I would like it better than an interior cabin, but if I had to do it again, I would hold out for an oceanview.  Even though there is a window that looks out on the promenade, it still felt like an interior cabin with no natural light.  The noise wasn't bad except during the 70's party, which unfortunately didn't get started until 11 o'clock.  We're early sleepers so I wasn't happy about being kept awake till midnight.  But other than that night, we didn't have an issue with noise.  Usually the promenade is quiet late at night.

If your son likes changing lights, he might really love a promenade room.  Try for a cabin on a higher deck.  If you decide to stay with the interior cabins, you'll be able to see pretty lights anywhere in the promenade.  Some ships also have changing lights on the pool deck at night but I can't remember if Independence did or not.  

I've got a couple of pictures of our cabin here: http://susancrow.blogspot.com/2017/03/independence-of-seas.html

Don't miss the ice show.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

We had an promenade room on Deck 6 on Independence.  There weren't any oceanview cabins available and I thought I would like it better than an interior cabin, but if I had to do it again, I would hold out for an oceanview.  Even though there is a window that looks out on the promenade, it still felt like an interior cabin with no natural light.  The noise wasn't bad except during the 70's party, which unfortunately didn't get started until 11 o'clock.  We're early sleepers so I wasn't happy about being kept awake till midnight.  But other than that night, we didn't have an issue with noise.  Usually the promenade is quiet late at night.

If your son likes changing lights, he might really love a promenade room.  Try for a cabin on a higher deck.  If you decide to stay with the interior cabins, you'll be able to see pretty lights anywhere in the promenade.  Some ships also have changing lights on the pool deck at night but I can't remember if Independence did or not.  

I've got a couple of pictures of our cabin here: http://susancrow.blogspot.com/2017/03/independence-of-seas.html

Don't miss the ice show.

Maybe we will try for deck 8 - I just really hope its silent at night - I wear earplugs because of hubbys snoring. When you say noise wasn't bad did you still hear background noise from promenade at night or was it silent? (besides the party?) Also is the 70s party that loud where it would keep my son up or just muffled music and bass?    If deck 8 is booked do you think deck 7 would be okay?  MY son loves the changing lights, he has fun lights and lamps all over his room.  When we go to Epcot he is fixated on the glowing lights in the ground that change patterns.   He will prob really like the promenade.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lolalow said:

Maybe we will try for deck 8 - I just really hope its silent at night - I wear earplugs because of hubbys snoring. When you say noise wasn't bad did you still hear background noise from promenade at night or was it silent? (besides the party?) Also is the 70s party that loud where it would keep my son up or just muffled music and bass?    If deck 8 is booked do you think deck 7 would be okay?  MY son loves the changing lights, he has fun lights and lamps all over his room.  When we go to Epcot he is fixated on the glowing lights in the ground that change patterns.   He will prob really like the promenade.   

Keep in mind that our experience was pre-covid.  I don't know when your cruise is but with the ships sailing half full right now, I think it will be pretty quiet late at night.  I'm not even sure if they are having the 70's party parade.  I don't remember hearing music at night except for during the party and my husband and I are very light sleepers.

I think my objection to our promenade room had more to do with the lack of natural light than to noise.  And honestly, you can have a noisy cabin anywhere if you have rude "neighbors".  On one cruise, some group on our deck stood outside our door yelling down the hall at all hours of the night. 😞  If your son likes the lights, I think you should go for it.  It is kind of fun people-watching from your cabin.  Get Deck 8 if you can.      

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

Keep in mind that our experience was pre-covid.  I don't know when your cruise is but with the ships sailing half full right now, I think it will be pretty quiet late at night.  I'm not even sure if they are having the 70's party parade.  I don't remember hearing music at night except for during the party and my husband and I are very light sleepers.

I think my objection to our promenade room had more to do with the lack of natural light than to noise.  And honestly, you can have a noisy cabin anywhere if you have rude "neighbors".  On one cruise, some group on our deck stood outside our door yelling down the hall at all hours of the night. 😞  If your son likes the lights, I think you should go for it.  It is kind of fun people-watching from your cabin.  Get Deck 8 if you can.      

we are sailing in a week - so maybe no 70s party.  Yeah cant do anything about neighbors but i can control the room dont want to make a dumb choice.  I really dont mind hearing anything but just want quiet after 11or at least midnight.

• Like 1

I had one last week right across from the pub on deck 7. There was a very very muffled noise you could hear at night, but nothing that would ever keep you up or be noticeable without the theme parties on the promenade. My only item to note is that these rooms feel absolutely tiny compared to other rooms due to the layout (the bed is practically right when you walk in and you have to walk around it to the love seat and window). I probably would not book one again for that reason, not due to noise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kruzerci said:

I had one last week right across from the pub on deck 7. There was a very very muffled noise you could hear at night, but nothing that would ever keep you up or be noticeable without the theme parties on the promenade. My only item to note is that these rooms feel absolutely tiny compared to other rooms due to the layout (the bed is practically right when you walk in and you have to walk around it to the love seat and window). I probably would not book one again for that reason, not due to noise. 

when you say at night you heard muffled music do you mean after midnight or before ?  

2 hours ago, kruzerci said:

that stink about the room feeling cramped.  The whole reason we are thinking about this room is because of the extra sitting area.  I hate the idea of ordering room service and sitting in bed and getting crumbs everywhere or just having somewhere to sit and plan the day would be nice.  The interior cabins connecting cabins have no couch, I think maybe 1 chair

2 hours ago, lolalow said:

we are sailing in a week - so maybe no 70s party.  Yeah cant do anything about neighbors but i can control the room dont want to make a dumb choice.  I really dont mind hearing anything but just want quiet after 11or at least midnight.

Exactly why we always book our cruises early (we never cruise the year we book them) so we can get the deck, cabin and cabin location we want. Never a cabin with a public deck above or below us as a lot of activities and venues are happening late for a good reason and as they should as there are a lot of cruisers that are night owls. 🍻

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lolalow said:

that stink about the room feeling cramped.  The whole reason we are thinking about this room is because of the extra sitting area.  I hate the idea of ordering room service and sitting in bed and getting crumbs everywhere or just having somewhere to sit and plan the day would be nice.  The interior cabins connecting cabins have no couch, I think maybe 1 chair

The cabin we had (family promenade, sleeps 6) has 2 window seating areas AND a couch. Its double the size of a reg promenade cabin.

• Like 1

For Promenade cabins, we preferred Deck 8 because the window slants outward, giving a much better view of things happening down below. Cabin 6305 is the "cow butt suite". Maybe your son would like all of the cow decorations and free Ben & Jerry's ice cream all week! Here's the video:

7 hours ago, CruisinMama2003 said:

Just got off Indy last friday and we were in a family promenade cabin on deck 7 (across from cafe promenade, and above the Ben & Jerrys). Heard no noise whatsoever in the cabin. The 70s party started on the promenade for 20 mins then they continued it in Studio B. 

did it seem like alot of people on board or was capacity still lower?  Was windjammer open for dinner? Was Grease playing?

4 hours ago, SilkySal said:

For Promenade cabins, we preferred Deck 8 because the window slants outward, giving a much better view of things happening down below. Cabin 6305 is the "cow butt suite". Maybe your son would like all of the cow decorations and free Ben & Jerry's ice cream all week! Here's the video:

Thanks for the reply - we actually settled on a spacious interior on deck 2

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lolalow said:

did it seem like alot of people on board or was capacity still lower?  Was windjammer open for dinner? Was Grease playing?

Our sailing had 1700 passengers. Did not feel crowded at all anywhere, but still enough people for decent turn out for the shows and other activities. Windjammer was not open for dinner. Closed at 330. Yes, Grease was playing (3 shows), ice show (4 shows), 2 comedians, and the entertainer El Gaucho did 2 shows.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lolalow said:

Some people say they can hear the noise others cant.  

I had Deck 8 Promenade view on Freedom in 2019, and I am a very light sleeper.  For more of the cruise, I heard no noise at all.  There was a bit of noise during parties, but it ended relatively early. (everything is relative for me 🤣)

I am particularly interested between 11pm-8am.   I do need quiet to sleep even light music will bother me.

I think you'll be more than OK.

Can you hear the background music that is played 24/7 in promenade even a little?

I didn't notice it, but honestly can't say if it is because I was tuning it out.

My son has autism and likes lights that change colors- any particular place for good view of the changing lights?      

Good for you and him!  My brother is mentally disabled, and was on the Freedom cruise (and every cruise) with me.  I would go to the walkway at the head of the promenade - he can see the colors change on both the promenade lights and (I think) the walkway itself!

09-19-2018-spain-royal-caribbean-cruise-

Above all... have fun with him!       --bruce T.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/19/2021 at 5:28 PM, neverbeenhere said:

Oh the things I’ve seen. 

I know this is an old thread but I'm researching PR cabins and I have to say this is my main concern. We want to put the kids in a connecting promenade but I'm frankly scared of what may be visible from the cabins across the way. I don't need the kids getting eyefuls of things they shouldn't see. Starting to doubt my choice of room!