Masks Provided?

numberguy

I thought I wrote this before, but can't find it when I search for it, so please forgive me if it's a repeat.

I've seen YouTube videos of cruise bloggers who've had masks provided in their rooms.  Does NCL do this?  I'm planning to bring my own, because I'll be touring a few days before my cruise, but just wondering if I need one or two boxes.  TIA!

--Michael

There was one mask each provided in our cabin on the Epic a week ago. We never used them as we had our own. We had to wear them when walking about on the ship. You don't need to when drinking or eating, or in in the pool areas. The staff used common sense so when sitting down, they left you alone. But did say if you were walking in the common areas. 

There were also disposable masks in certain areas of you forgot yours or did what I did and spill food on mine's

2 hours ago, numberguy said:

I thought I wrote this before, but can't find it when I search for it, so please forgive me if it's a repeat. I've seen YouTube videos of cruise bloggers who've had masks provided in their rooms.  Does NCL do this?  I'm planning to bring my own, because I'll be touring a few days before my cruise, but just wondering if I need one or two boxes.  TIA!

We were on a 7-day Alaska and none were provided (none were required on the ship). However, masks were required, at the time, at the terminal and all ports. 

• Like 1

We were on the Jade last week, and received one KN95 for each passenger in our cabin at embarkation.  I agree that passengers wore masks when walking around indoors, but not when sitting down eating/drinking.  Masks were worn by most sitting in the auditorium for shows.

2 hours ago, craig01020 said:

I just completed a 7 day cruise on the Gem. I did not receive any masks in my cabin.

We just got off the Gem yesterday morning and we had two KN95 masks in our cabin. We went to the Bahamas, masks were required in the Bahamas so maybe that's why we had them and you didn't

Edited by Javajitterz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Nope, they were just plain white KN95s with the ear loops, not the kind that go behind your head.

Celebrity had their logo on theirs.  Even the bottles of sanitizers. Great advertising.

4 hours ago, Tompep said:

We were on the Jade last week, and received one KN95 for each passenger in our cabin at embarkation.  I agree that passengers wore masks when walking around indoors, but not when sitting down eating/drinking.  Masks were worn by most sitting in the auditorium for shows.

I'm guessing if masks were worn, no social distancing in auditorium?

19 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Yeah, I got one of the Celebrity branded cloth masks on my Equinox sailing.

They are pretty nice, as far  as masks go, seemed breathable, we had to wear them in Costa Maya…although the shop keepers didn’t seem to care at all. Just the guys at the gate. 

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

We were. We used ours when we went onshore in Bermuda.

Were extra masks available if someone needed/requested them?

For anyone who is wearing them regularly, they shouldn't be worn frequently for a week (and in some cases, those elastics can snap off).

We finally made a reservation for another cruise (oh, how we miss traveling!!), but not until summer of 2023.

Hopefully, things will calm down enough that we feel comfortable planning some other trips on shorter notice before then.  In the past, I enjoy starting the process far in advance, and we usually had at least two major trips "in process" at any point in time.

We are older, with additional risk factors, and it's the possible variants with potentially worse "features" that continue to have us spooked.

Also, I was carried off a plane from Hong Kong in mid December, 2019, and I spent 10 days on oxygen.  At one point it got more than a bit... worrisome...  I was in an isolation room for the first week, and everyone was all gowned and masked, even to quickly bring in a single extra pill or to retrieve a food tray.  

We do NOT want either of us to go through anything like that again.

[Even though they detected a "different" virus, it was one that tends to be more of a problem in children. Yes, we do continue to wonder what *else* I may have had, but it was just a bit too early to be on anyone's radar.  And by spring of 2020, several of my physicians also began to wonder...]

Point is, we will continue to be ultra cautious.

GC

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

Were extra masks available if someone needed/requested them?

For anyone who is wearing them regularly, they shouldn't be worn frequently for a week (and in some cases, those elastics can snap off).

I am sure you could have asked for additional masks, if needed. We only got off the ship twice, so just rewore the ones that were provided. When I was on a Celebrity sailing at the end of July, they had surgical masks available in the main theater where people gathered before their shore excursions. I didn't do any organized excursions through NCL in Bermuda, so I don't know if they offered something similar.

We never received masks going to The Caribbean on The Gem in August, but free surgical masks were available at Guest Services. DH grabbed one to double mask on the plane home. It sounds like the complimentary masks in the cabins is itinerary based.

• Like 1