Pickleball

mcgilldj

What courts on the R ships? I have played shuffleboard on Deck 11 of several R ships but have yet to discover any (tennis) courts on them.

Perhaps one could use the Paddle tennis court on Deck 16 of the O ships to play pickleball but no room on the R ships IMO.

12 hours ago, mcgilldj said:

Does anyone know if the courts on the R ships can be used to play Pickleball?

I was also thinking about the Paddle Tennis courts on the O ships and if they can be used for and are a similar dimension to Pickleball?  It appears the paddles are different for Paddle Tennis, wondering if we should be packing some Pickleball equipment??

Dear Fellow Pickleball Players:

The width of Paddle Ball and Pickleball courts are the same ,however, the Paddle Ball court is approx. 10 feet longer.  I played Pickleball on a  HA ship several years ago and (unfortunately) the metal side wall was approx. 1 foot from the sideline!  Possibly if enough people on CC write about Pickleball we will have lined courts on one of the future new ships.  I am a dedicated player both indoors and outside and court availability would point me in the direction of any new ships with courts.

Joel Barry

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cape Hernlopen said:

Dear Fellow Pickleball Players:

The width of Paddle Ball and Pickleball courts are the same ,however, the Paddle Ball court is approx. 10 feet longer.  I played Pickleball on a  HA ship several years ago and (unfortunately) the metal side wall was approx. 1 foot from the sideline!  Possibly if enough people on CC write about Pickleball we will have lined courts on one of the future new ships.  I am a dedicated player both indoors and outside and court availability would point me in the direction of any new ships with courts.

Joel Barry

Thank you for the info, I was also wondering about the side wall/fencing.  As one of the fastest growing sports in the world, especially for my age group, lets hope the cruise lines start to recognize this with proper courts.  We have a group of 12 on the Riviera next October and 10 of this group are Pickleball players!

Are there any Pickleball players presently on the Riveria? If so, could you please take some pictures of the Paddleball court and give me your opinion on if I could play Pickleball on the court.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mcgilldj said:

Are there any Pickleball players presently on the Riveria? If so, could you please take some pictures of the Paddleball court and give me your opinion on if I could play Pickleball on the court.

I have tried to play paddle board on Riviera but it was much too windy as the court is in the front of the ship and when it is underway the wind across the bow is too much.  Just bad placement.  Good luck with pickle ball

Well, I now see that both Marina and Riviera list pickle ball, as CLutj pointed out in post #7,  yet it does not appear on the deck plans of either ship. I wonder where on Decks 15 or 16 the court is to be found? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CintiPam said:

Well, I now see that both Marina and Riviera list pickle ball, as CLutj pointed out in post #7,  yet it does not appear on the deck plans of either ship. I wonder where on Decks 15 or 16 the court is to be found? 

Maybe they use the paddle tennis courts on deck 16 ??

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/riviera/deck-plans/

8 hours ago, CintiPam said:

I assumed so as well but paddle tennis still is being promoted on the same page that pickleball is.

Perhaps a “transforming court?” 😉 

I also believe it may be same court??  One previous post mentioned that Pickle/Paddle ball use a court that is the same width so all that would be needed is the addition of a shorter back line to transform into Pickle ball.

15 hours ago, CintiPam said:

I certainly will look for the pickleball court when I board Riviera in January 2022. As several have pointed out, you will be able to play while in port but it is often pretty breezy upstairs outside when underway.  

On Regent the courts are located at the stern behind the funnel and that cuts the wind down a lot.  Good fun to play there on sea days.  Got a fair amount of people, both men and women. 

1 hour ago, shepherd really said:

It's like tennis, but on a tiny court.

And the ball is kind of a cross between a ping pong ball and a whiffle ball. Paddles are like large Ping pong paddles I think, no strings. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CintiPam said:

I certainly will look for the pickleball court when I board Riviera in January 2022. As several have pointed out, you will be able to play while in port but it is often pretty breezy upstairs outside when underway.  

We will be on the Jan 14 cruise. Are you also on this cruise?

9 hours ago, Rosroz said:

Forgive my ignorance but what is picklball

If interested check out some videos on Youtube, it has become one of the fastest growing sports around.  Started with mostly seniors playing and now down to all ages!

6 hours ago, mcgilldj said:

We will be on the Jan 14 cruise. Are you also on this cruise?

Yes, our last cruise was another 14-night Caribbean one on Riviera, which disembarked in Miami on March 11, 2020. On March 12 I attended my first Zoom meeting! 

On 10/25/2021 at 9:11 PM, CintiPam said:
18 hours ago, CintiPam said:

Yes, our last cruise was another 14-night Caribbean one on Riviera, which disembarked in Miami on March 11, 2020. On March 12 I attended my first Zoom meeting! 

We hope we get a chance to meet you this January.  

• 3 months later...

So….

Any word on Pickleball from those sailing on the Marina recently? Did they just transform the paddle tennis court? How are the winds? Do we need our own equipment? 
Thanks for checking in, I know this topic is a few months old. We are scheduled for March 🙏🏻🤞🏼

We were on the Riviera b2b Dec 3/2021 - 20 days and attempted to play pickleball and paddleball.  Oceania has a 1/4 inch heavy thick plastic porous decking - I am assuming for drainage and so no one could slip and fall.  The pickleball ball could not really bounce that well.  The wind on the first 10 days was horrendous so we all attempted paddleball with a wood paddle and tennis ball.   The second 10 days less wind so we played pickleball.  It was difficult but we still all had fun.