“Live From” Z and TB’s Tapas and Sangria Tour

Zqueeze1

Well, we pulled the trigger and booked another cruise for Feb 2024 onboard the Grandeur. This is a 12 day cruise around the southern and eastern Caribbean and departs out of Miami. We now have four cruises booked with Regent. I say you folks out there need to book it and we will rock the boat. 

The weather so far has been pretty good. We have had some small showers, but cannot complain so far. The temps have been in the cool 70s and very comfortable. The seas have been very smooth since departing the Canary Islands and most days are partly cloudy. 
We are thoroughly enjoying our days although we have not partaken on many activities. We spend some time walking around and are always greeted by the crew.  It is amazing how quickly they learn our names. Who would have thought that an inner city kid like me would end up here?  I never knew food beyond rice and beans until going to school in Charleston then joining the military and seeing the world.  In short, The Boss and I are blessed. 
Next: dinner with Broom Hilda and J and K become rock stars. 

BTW, with all this great food around us, I am having Taco Bell withdrawals. 
Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1

3 hours ago, hockeyken said:

Am I a wonderful dude too  💤.

K

Ken: you are by far my most favorite, kindest, and generous person from all my Canadian friends.  You are also my only Canadian friend. 
Z and TB

• Haha 1

Kwajgirl: the name of the couple is the Natural Duo. I will see if I can get some more info on them. They sing beautifully in several languages and make a point to play a Santana song every night at the Explorer lounge which makes me happier than a pig in mud. 
Z and TB

Z&TB:

Late in contributing to this Thread.  Not much to add to Z's comments.  

The boarding procedure at BCN was chaotic, and strung-out.  Waiting and watching the screen to see your Code number show up was stressful.  My wife's number had not appeared after about a half hour following her initial test.  The worry began to set-in.  I made an inquiry; and at the same time two attendants came up to us.  Seems there had been a "glitch" in how her sample had been analyzed.  So--back she had to go for a second test.  Took another 20 minutes to finally get her certified as fit to board.  

One nice touch--which I do not recall experiencing on any other Regent ship--was scheduling an informal meeting time at Coffee Connection for Military Vets. About 12 of us showed up.  Z advised later that he was missing from this action due to over extending a nap.  

Look forward to joining with Z and others for a walking tour at San Juan.  

Weather continues to be mild with calm seas.  

GOARMY!

• Like 2

Z or GoArmy:  Tell me about using the Regent's app for tours.  I have downloaded the app, but do you need to have anything special in your cell plan coverage?  I usually turn off my cell phone when we cruise so I don't have the "surprise" roaming charges.  Makes me nervous to turn it on when we are not in the US!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin said:

Z or GoArmy:  Tell me about using the Regent's app for tours.  I have downloaded the app, but do you need to have anything special in your cell plan coverage?  I usually turn off my cell phone when we cruise so I don't have the "surprise" roaming charges.  Makes me nervous to turn it on when we are not in the US!

Not to worry, just put your phone in " airplane mode" then the app uses bluetooth so turn on B/T and select your group/bus # and your good to go. Oh you will need to use ear phones of some type. I have hearing aids that connect with my phone.

2 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Kwajgirl: the name of the couple is the Natural Duo. I will see if I can get some more info on them. They sing beautifully in several languages and make a point to play a Santana song every night at the Explorer lounge which makes me happier than a pig in mud. 
Z and TB

Hmmmm...they will be new to me. Looking forward to enjoying their talent!  Thank you.

45 minutes ago, captjohn said:

Not to worry, just put your phone in " airplane mode" then the app uses bluetooth so turn on B/T and select your group/bus # and your good to go. Oh you will need to use ear phones of some type. I have hearing aids that connect with my phone.

Thank you so much for the info!  DH uses hearing aids that connect, too, and this should be a big plus for him understanding the tour guide!

1 hour ago, Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin said:

Thank you so much for the info!  DH uses hearing aids that connect, too, and this should be a big plus for him understanding the tour guide!

3 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Z and TB

Been following all your comments--seems like you had a ball!! We are on the Splendor from Jan. 24 until Feb. 22 (back to back) and can't wait to see it. Last Regent cruise ended abruptly the beginning of March 2020 for us. Got off the ship early and flew home from Sydney. So glad we did. Got credit for unused 18 days--thus this cruise we are so looking forward to!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Where was this shot taken from?

AB7F51FC-3A45-4DCE-8A2C-D14B1A2C08F0.thumb.jpeg.effc4da4ffb2c6e477b5eba16e586c48.jpeg

My favorite stool from the pool bar!!!!  The bar seats are now open for use!  Cue the choir of angels!

Z and TB

Oh be still my heart!! So glad to hear you reporting from the pool bar and on a stool, no less!!!

So what will today's treat be? mmmm, so many choices, so little time!

Do you have any idea if bar seating is available in the other venues? Sure would be nice...!!

Carry on....

Best to you and TB,

L&J

29 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

Oh be still my heart!! So glad to hear you reporting from the pool bar and on a stool, no less!!!

So what will today's treat be? mmmm, so many choices, so little time!

Do you have any idea if bar seating is available in the other venues? Sure would be nice...!!

Carry on....

Best to you and TB,

L&J

L&J:  bar seating is apparently available in all venues and I will be personally inspecting all bars to ensure compliance with new guidance. 
Z and TB

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just to get up to speed, we had a quiet dinner sans J and K last night.  That is until Broom Hilda showed up.  We had the usual salads:

2B9D204C-C932-457A-95ED-8C30B18A3E17.thumb.jpeg.3ae9acac501b36af7f0f3ccdc5f9528e.jpeg

And Pam had the porcini mushroom risotto 

C511FB40-03F2-486D-AFB2-DA9EFC8B00BB.thumb.jpeg.18aaff45b074811f5074de5680490773.jpeg

While I had the wonderful miso glazed sea bass with rice and spinach.  
26AD63E0-6B13-48F7-B3F5-5CE86582CF51.thumb.jpeg.000abc43f7f56ce4680558d1b82e8835.jpeg

Overall, it was a comparatively light dinner, but definitely not the highlight of the evening.   There was a lady who was inappropriately dressed who was extremely angry. She was upset because Teo dancers were sitting at dinner with other guests and she believed that the dancers should not be allowed to eat before a performance. She was definitely kookoo for Cocoa Puffs. She even had them pour her a different wine on top of the one she did not like.  She made Maggie and her staff work extra hard to appease her. What an elitist pain in the dupah. 
After  the dinner with the show, we strolled on deck 12 which was eerily dark and empty. One time around was enough for me and we called it a night. 

Tonight:  back to Pacific Rim. 
Z and TB

• Like 2

Here is another example of Regent going that little "extra" adding to enjoyment of a particular segment.

Two days ago, at afternoon Tea Time, wandered into Observation Lounge.  Alex, the pianist, was "warming up".  Introduced myself, and asked if any selections during the next 45 minutes or so would include Romantic music via Chopin and Brahms.  Of course, was the response.  This is expected when one asks a reasonable request in a reasonable way. He instantly transitioned to playing a Chopin Ballad--the same one I played 52 years ago when courting my wife.  

Soos--I made haste to wake Susan from an afternoon slumber, and join me.  We sat at a table next to that piano for the ensuing half hour as Alex played Chopin, Brahms, and Schubert.  Oh, and had a cup of tea.  

Point being:  Alex will perform a pre-dinner concert in two days.  He has promised to include one or two of our favorite Chopin Ballads. 

Of course, this attention to detail and interaction with guests has been noted in our mid-cruise Comment Cards--just turned in.  

Now--off to the Cruise Consultant for our appointment to set-up a 2023 Norwegian-Russia-U.K. series of cruises.  

GOARMY!

Edited by GOARMY
Syntax
  • Like 2

Thank you to Z, TB and GOARMY for your reports.  We are so looking forward to our cruise next month out of Miami on the Splendor and these reports have made the time until our cruise seem still too far away.  Glad to hear the bar stools are open, I will be warming one of them from time to time I'm sure.  I also hope that a pianist on the Splendor can work the same magic like Alex on the Explorer.  My wife and I enjoy classical music very much and hope to hear some on the cruise.

Here's hoping that the calm seas continue and all of you continue to enjoy the cruise.

• Like 1

That miso-glazed sea bass looks so delicious!   I think it's one of my favorite things to eat on Regent and always hope it will be on the menu.

We were just reliving (through pictures) our cruise from 4 years ago--NYC to Bermuda to Caribbean, ending in Miami.  I can't believe it's been than long.  It was the weekend of the NYC Marathon; didn't know that of course when we booked, but NYC was crazier than usual.  Lots of fun though, even after getting squished on the subway and fighting our way out at our stop amid the throngs of runners who had completed the race.

Glad to hear the bar stools are back open for business!  On that same cruise 4 years ago, there was a guy we nicknamed "Norm" (after the Cheers character) who was always seated at the pool bar, same stool.  Good times.

Continue to enjoy your cruise; thank you for sharing your experience with those who can only travel vicariously at this time!🙂

• Like 1

Although I'm not positive that TB (Pam) drinks, I'd like to know that if she does, does she have a favorite cocktail from that list of new yummies that I've seen on the cocktail menu.....or perhaps you yourself has imbibed on one  of these seemingly delicious new creations...

I'm worried about the Ob Bar. If they can't make a decent whisky sour (which is cocktail 101) what CAN they make that might be wonderful.....?

15 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Well, we pulled the trigger and booked another cruise for Feb 2024 onboard the Grandeur. This is a 12 day cruise around the southern and eastern Caribbean and departs out of Miami. We now have four cruises booked with Regent. I say you folks out there need to book it and we will rock the boat. 
Z and TB

Z

We are also booked on the Grandeur February 2024 with you and TB…It’s a long way off but time goes so quickly! Looking forward to seeing you again!🙏🤞👍❤️
Sheila

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Although I'm not positive that TB (Pam) drinks, I'd like to know that if she does, does she have a favorite cocktail from that list of new yummies that I've seen on the cocktail menu.....or perhaps you yourself has imbibed on one  of these seemingly delicious new creations...

I'm worried about the Ob Bar. If they can't make a decent whisky sour (which is cocktail 101) what CAN they make that might be wonderful.....?

Pam will have no more than two cocktails per day. Her favorite is a Tito’s Cosmo with a dash of Cointreau. However, she only orders them with half the liquor.  Funny that you asked because I got her a Pina Colada with a floater and she hated it.  
Regent does not necessarily follow the international standards for cocktails.  Recipes are provided by their parent company and takes a couple of short cuts such as using that awful sour mix.  However, I’ve noticed that bartenders are eager to make one an actual cocktail if you ask for it or they will make you their personal cocktails. That is how yesterday I discovered the queen of all libations made by a master mixologist and called the Twisted Sour. I am in heaven over it. 
Z and TB

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, megevans said:

Did you notice if the self service laundries are open?

I have not, but will find out. Of note, Covid protocols have changed rapidly and we are now allowed to serve ourselves in the Coffee Connection. I assume the same will be for La Veranda.  I am overjoyed to get my stools back at the bars. 
Z and TB

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GOARMY said:

Here is another example of Regent going that little "extra" adding to enjoyment of a particular segment.

Two days ago, at afternoon Tea Time, wandered into Observation Lounge.  Alex, the pianist, was "warming up".  Introduced myself, and asked if any selections during the next 45 minutes or so would include Romantic music via Chopin and Brahms.  Of course, was the response.  This is expected when one asks a reasonable request in a reasonable way. He instantly transitioned to playing a Chopin Ballad--the same one I played 52 years ago when courting my wife.  

Soos--I made haste to wake Susan from an afternoon slumber, and join me.  We sat at a table next to that piano for the ensuing half hour as Alex played Chopin, Brahms, and Schubert.  Oh, and had a cup of tea.  

Point being:  Alex will perform a pre-dinner concert in two days.  He has promised to include one or two of our favorite Chopin Ballads. 

Of course, this attention to detail and interaction with guests has been noted in our mid-cruise Comment Cards--just turned in.  

Now--off to the Cruise Consultant for our appointment to set-up a 2023 Norwegian-Russia-U.K. series of cruises.  

GOARMY!

Usually Ross is playing piano in the lounge. Any word on him?

This trip report thread is absolutely fabulous!!