Why did RCL pick St. Kitts/Nevis as a stop?

nanatutu

We are to sail on Allure of the Seas November 14th.  RCL changed our itinerary and dropped St. Thomas and Nassau.  We didn't really care that Nassau was dropped.  We were looking forward to St. Thomas because we have friends that will be in St. Johns during that time period. RCL substituted San Juan, which is ok.  The other island they substituted is St. Kitts/Nevis.  Why in the world would RCL do this when the CDC has placed this island on the "do not visit" list because of extremely high incidence of COVID.  Makes absolutely no sense! I am very disappointed in RCL.  We won't be cancelling our cruise but we will also not be getting off the ship even with the RCL shore excursion.  

• Like 2

On this cruise also,  there have been many changes since we initially booked, number of nights, ports etc. Fortunately we have visited most of the Caribbean islands before so are not making any plans for ports on this trip until the Captain tells us we have arrived, been cleared and can leave the ship.

Not sure about St Kitts either, it will be a last minute decision or maybe a relaxing docked sea day!

I think the cruise lines are running out of places to go to, our December cruises are also being changed! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nanatutu said:

We are to sail on Allure of the Seas November 14th.  RCL changed our itinerary and dropped St. Thomas and Nassau.  We didn't really care that Nassau was dropped.  We were looking forward to St. Thomas because we have friends that will be in St. Johns during that time period. RCL substituted San Juan, which is ok.  The other island they substituted is St. Kitts/Nevis.  Why in the world would RCL do this when the CDC has placed this island on the "do not visit" list because of extremely high incidence of COVID.  Makes absolutely no sense! I am very disappointed in RCL.  We won't be cancelling our cruise but we will also not be getting off the ship even with the RCL shore excursion.  

The U.S Virgin Islands is also on that list (So, St. Thomas & St John).  And guess what other country is at the same risk level?  The United States.    

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, rockmom said:

The U.S Virgin Islands is also on that list (So, St. Thomas & St John).  And guess what other country is at the same risk level?  The United States.    

Please let’s stick to the facts instead of US bashing. Here is a chart of the rates of infection for the two countries (red St Kitts, blue US).  As with @nanatutuwe are very surprised that our cruise starting in two weeks has been changed twice and was just recently changed to include an island that is now listed, and has been for a month or more, as “do not visit.” And Royal clearly agrees because it is one of the few port that they are requiring “bubble” tours (no going off on your own).

9C5DCC58-93C8-498B-A999-0C9BB93943D1.jpeg

Edited by AlohaLivin
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

Please let’s stick to the facts instead of US bashing. Here is a chart of the rates of infection for the two countries (red St Kitts, blue US).  As with @nanatutuwe are very surprised that our cruise starting in two weeks has been changed twice and was just recently changed to include an island that is now listed, and has been for a month or more, as “do not visit.” And Royal clearly agrees because it is one of the few port that they are requiring “bubble” tours (no going off on your own).

I'm not U.S. bashing--I live here too.  I was trying to point out that if you purely look at the list that falls on the 'do not visit' list, that quite a few of the places that Royal stops are on and have been on that list.  I only called out the U.S.V.I. because the OP was sad they were no longer stopping there as originally planned.  But when you look at the current CDC list that are at the Level 4 risk, Nevis/St. Kitts have PLENTY of company when it comes to Caribbean Islands.  I do agree that infection rates have tons of fluctuations, and that can change each and every week. I was merely pointing out that there are plenty more places that Royal has port stops that are on that list since the OP is 'very disappointed in Royal' sending them to an island on the list.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nanatutu said:

We're on your same sailing, and I couldn't agree more!  Substituting a port identified as "do not visit" is ridiculous.  You also must book a cruise line shore excursion should you want to leave the ship.  We'll be staying on board as well ☹️

• Like 1

In Dec (if things are the same), St Kitts and Barbados/St Lucia are ports we cannot do our own thing.  STT and SMX we can.  Super disappointed that we cannot do our own thing In St Lucia and Barbados.  I booked an excursion to the same beach in Barbados we would have gone to as a Plan B if we cannot go on our own.  Have not booked anything as Plan B for St Lucia yet.  St Kitts, we don't arrive until 10 am, and we were just going to get off and go to the shopping area for a couple of hours.  So if we cannot do our own thing, we will just stay on the ship that day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rockmom said:

I'm not U.S. bashing--I live here too.  I was trying to point out that if you purely look at the list that falls on the 'do not visit' list, that quite a few of the places that Royal stops are on and have been on that list.  I only called out the U.S.V.I. because the OP was sad they were no longer stopping there as originally planned.  But when you look at the current CDC list that are at the Level 4 risk, Nevis/St. Kitts have PLENTY of company when it comes to Caribbean Islands.  I do agree that infection rates have tons of fluctuations, and that can change each and every week. I was merely pointing out that there are plenty more places that Royal has port stops that are on that list since the OP is 'very disappointed in Royal' sending them to an island on the list.  

There are only four locations right now that have very high rates of infection on Royal’s port list. We are talking about percentages, not  about total numbers (since the total number of course is relative given the population). On this particular cruise, and I’m on the cruise with the OP, we have dealt with a lot of changes on this itinerary (plus a day taken from the cruise) and now two islands that do not have severe restrictions were removed for this one with a currently high rate of infection and “bubble” restrictions. It has been frustrating and I was trying to point out that his concerns maybe had more value than some of the postings suggested. 👍🏼

3CC62B47-9937-4173-9631-DA46EADEF6A5.jpeg

Edited by AlohaLivin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, rebeccatp said:

Interesting... We are booked on the Allure Nov 27. Last week they dropped St. Kitts & Nevis from our itinerary, but still going to St. Thomas (as of now). 

Though many the decisions are too many Ships for the too few available/open Ports right now. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

10 a day is low no matter how you swing it. 10/54,000 population is also low. Not even smallest US state has less than 10 cases a day.

Also, did you notice downward trend? They have peaked with this wave already and are headed in a great direction. 

You decide with your health and the rest of us will decide on ours. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nanatutu said:

Why in the world would RCL do this when the CDC has placed this island on the "do not visit" list because of extremely high incidence of COVID

Because just about every island is a "high" on the CDC's scale.

Unless you enjoy visiting islands by hanging out in poorly ventilated buildings with lots of people, you're not getting covid from a port stop. Fortunately, most people do outdoor activities when visiting islands.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 1

I am booked to go to St Kitts, Barbados, St maarten, San Juan, Antigua, St Lucia in January and cannot wait to go.   There are some places and beaches that I love to go to on our own but if still have to ship excursions in January I am fine with that.   In fact I booked a couple yesterday before they sell out.   

I picked this cruise because I don't want to go to cozumel, st. thomas, nassau, etc. so I sure hope they keep the itinerary I booked

I hope that if I can only do a ship excursion that I am able to stop for some new t-shirts, etc in port shopping area on my way back to the ship.    Could really use some new ones🤩

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Not deciding anyone’s health, just clarifying antidotal danger verses actual data.

As a scientist by training, I am very capable of looking at the data without tutoring. There is a very high rate percentage wise (and per people who know far more about it than either of us). But continue by yourself if you just cannot handle leaving this alone now.

Edited by AlohaLivin
  • Like 2

I'll be on Allure in April;  when I went on my cruise page to look at excursions today, I saw that they took Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic away, and substituted Nassau.  It looks like I'll just stay on the ship that day...

• Like 1

St Kitts is my least favorite island with San. Juan a close second. Royal on long before Covid started going to few St Thomas, St Martian trips and adding them with one of the others.  Tortola is actually much nicer than both.   

It's not out the realm of possibilities that the itinerary of ports could yet change again - in the past - a few cruises literally changed ports the day of departure and a few after departure (for a wide range of reasons beyond just COVID). We're going with the flow on this one...relax,  take a few shows, enjoy some meals, enjoy the ship and cruising.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

You decide with your health and the rest of us will decide on ours. 

I decided. I decided not to cruise yet. I don't get why people are booking now when the situation is still pretty unsettled and then complaining when changes are made. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I decided. I decided not to cruise yet. I don't get why people are booking now when the situation is still pretty unsettled and then complaining when changes are made. 

I can’t speak for the OP, I was simply responding and trying to be supportive (I know the fun thing around here is to pile on 🙄). But as for us, this is a lift and shift from long ago and since the FCC will expire we didn’t have much of a choice. When a day is taken off the cruise and the itinerary is changed twice (the final one a week before departure a lot of cruisers would find it frustrating. Just basic empathy skills.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

What happened to, "Just get me on any ship going out"?  I just want to sit on my balcony and watch the world go by.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1