drinks pkg question

cruise kitty

Hi all,  just read a very interesting review of a HAL cruise....  my major concern is that it would appear that coffees & waters are being counted against the drinks package  15 drink limit....   between waters & coffee I could easily see that leaving us only a glass or two or wine for dinner & maybe a cocktail after that...

I had understood that water/tea/coffee did not count against the drinks limits...  it's going to be pretty sad if we have to smuggle water onboard like some do with alcohol lol 😉  

Would appreciate any insights into this 🙂

There is a very long thread on this -  regular water (in a glass) and coffee (not specialty) don’t count but your carton/metal container of water and the specialty coffees do.

If you drink that much water and coffee then why not buy a beverage card and use it to purchase a few of the waters or specialty coffees.

Alternatively you can pre-order some water so you have it in your cabin if you drink a lot of water.  there is a limit as to how much water and soda you can bring on board now and plastic containers are NOT permitted.

Here is the link to the thread I referenced:

• Like 1

Yep...a hot topic that has been discussed extensively. In our case, the resolution is to fill water bottles from the tap, if things are tight (we also drink a number of sodas during the day). Plus, the first day, when you might not be onboard as long, grab some extra waters then.

I think we also resolved that the Elite Beverage Package is still unlimited for non-alcoholic beverages.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Plus, the first day, when you might not be onboard as long, grab some extra waters then.

That is what we did on the first night, visited the different bars and started our own little water closet 🤣

Also  on days when we had been ashore for long periods, we made sure that we were as close to the limit as possible by grabbing extra cans of water etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Yep...a hot topic that has been discussed extensively. In our case, the resolution is to fill water bottles from the tap, if things are tight (we also drink a number of sodas during the day). Plus, the first day, when you might not be onboard as long, grab some extra waters then.

I think we also resolved that the Elite Beverage Package is still unlimited for non-alcoholic beverages.

ahh, we all plan on upgrading to elite package, it sounds like this will resolve the (very small) problem, thank you!

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

That would be nice. From what I was reading I was seeing it as limited from my confirmation.

“Our premium, Elite Beverage Package allows you to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails, non-alcoholic beverages, sodas, bottled water (sparkling 330ml or still 16oz) & coffee. Only on the ms Koningsdam & ms Nieuw Statendam, the package includes Freestyle Coca-Cola which provides 100+ refreshing Coca-Cola flavors to choose from. Includes any beverage priced at $15.00 or lower (up to 15 beverages per day).”

1 hour ago, Weddingcrasher said:

That would be nice. From what I was reading I was seeing it as limited from my confirmation.

“Our premium, Elite Beverage Package allows you to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails, non-alcoholic beverages, sodas, bottled water (sparkling 330ml or still 16oz) & coffee. Only on the ms Koningsdam & ms Nieuw Statendam, the package includes Freestyle Coca-Cola which provides 100+ refreshing Coca-Cola flavors to choose from. Includes any beverage priced at $15.00 or lower (up to 15 beverages per day).”

On the larger thread that is linked is this thread, someone wrote to HAL, & there is a PDF you can print out that shows unlimited water (& other non alcohol drinks)  are allowed in Elite pkg, & does not count towards the 15 a day limit 🙂

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kazu said:

There is a very long thread on this -  regular water (in a glass) and coffee (not specialty) don’t count but your carton/metal container of water and the specialty coffees do.

If you drink that much water and coffee then why not buy a beverage card and use it to purchase a few of the waters or specialty coffees.

Alternatively you can pre-order some water so you have it in your cabin if you drink a lot of water.  there is a limit as to how much water and soda you can bring on board now and plastic containers are NOT permitted.

Here is the link to the thread I referenced:

Sorry for my ignorance but what’s the advantage  of buying a beverage card instead of just paying as you go ? 

6 hours ago, nimiq said:

Sorry for my ignorance but what’s the advantage  of buying a beverage card instead of just paying as you go ? 

Not a bunch of individual bills to reconcile, to start with. I haven't bought a Beverage Card in a long time, but there used to be a discount on the cards.

7 hours ago, nimiq said:

I you have the HIA package and you will be charging to your room key card so it will count towards the 15 drink limit.  The beverage card is separate so not connected to your room charge nor the HIA limit.

and as @CruiserBrucesaid no long list of bills on your statement.  There is no discount on them any longer but the elimination of all those charges on the statement is nice.

and, for those of us that are not from the United States and have to deal with exchange rates, it’s one way to take advantage of the exchange rate at the time of purchase rather than be subject to the rate the day you get off the ship and your CC is charged 😉 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

On the larger thread that is linked is this thread, someone wrote to HAL, & there is a PDF you can print out that shows unlimited water (& other non alcohol drinks)  are allowed in Elite pkg, & does not count towards the 15 a day limit 🙂

That was me.  I also got a response from the Office of the President confirming that non-alcoholic drinks are unlimited with the elite package and I uploaded it on to that thread so people can print it out with the PDF and bring it on their cruise in case they have any issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, roxybear135 said:

That was me.  I also got a response from the Office of the President confirming that non-alcoholic drinks are unlimited with the elite package and I uploaded it on to that thread so people can print it out with the PDF and bring it on their cruise in case they have any issues.

& thank you so much for taking the time to do that 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kazu said:

I you have the HIA package and you will be charging to your room key card so it will count towards the 15 drink limit.  The beverage card is separate so not connected to your room charge nor the HIA limit.

First time HAL cruiser, so please excuse the simple questions.  Is the beverage card an actual card or is it added to your account on your key card?  Can I share a beverage card with friends sailing on the same cruise?

15 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

First time HAL cruiser, so please excuse the simple questions.  Is the beverage card an actual card or is it added to your account on your key card?  Can I share a beverage card with friends sailing on the same cruise?

It is an actual card.

You can order them pre-cruise in various denominations or on board (no difference in the cost).

As to sharing the beverage card, I have taken DH’s many a time to order a drink.  You can certainly order all the drinks for whomever you want with the card.  It doesn’t have the limitations of HIA.

You can’t order drinks for others with the HIA - you can with the beverage card.  Just pass the card to pay for it.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jabcruiser said:

Water is free onboard.  Just bring a bottle, or purchase one in gift shop onboard, and fill it up in Lido. Very easy.  I will have no problem doing this and have no intention of "purchasing" water on board. Never have, Never will. 

Jane

The problem with this now is that I think in the Lido you can’t self serve yourself any drink as before like water, juices, tea and coffee.

Not sure you can actually give your bottle to a crew member to refill.

Thanks

Eric 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nimiq said:

The problem with this now is that I think in the Lido you can’t self serve yourself any drink as before like water, juices, tea and coffee.

Not sure you can actually give your bottle to a crew member to refill.

Thanks

Eric 

Yes. They fill water glasses.  I pick up glass and pour into my water bottle.  Pick up another and pour in if necessary.  Very easy.

• Like 1