My booking was cancelled. Please provide advice.

I had two bookings on Oasis of the Seas, back to back cruises.  The most recent version of the reservations were made on August 27, 2021. Each invoice stated that both the deposit and the final payment were due on September 17, 2021.

On September 15 I received an RCCL email. The relevant portion stated:

<<Additionally, we understand that the final payment date for many of our guests is getting closer. So, in the meantime, we’ve made the decision to push the final payment date for all sailings departing between October 1, 2021 through December 31, 2021. Guests on sailings departing between October 1, 2021, through December 31, 2021, will now have until 30 days prior to their sail date to make their final payment. Our hope is that this gives you a little extra flexibility when making the best decision for you and those in your party. Rest assured, no action is needed on your part, and no cancellations will occur until the new final payment date.>>

Today, November 1, I inquired about my bookings. The RCCL representative in Guatemala informed me that both bookings had been cancelled because I failed to pay the deposit on September 17.  According to the representative, the email of September 15 granted an extension to the final payment deadline, but not an extension to the deposit deadline, even though both were initially due on the same date.

If it matters, I have a future cruise credit from a prior RCCL Covid-cancelled voyage which has always been available for use as the deposit.

I am a solo traveler. The stateroom I originally booked was an inside, category 4V.  I booked the same stateroom for both voyages.  Those bookings have now been cancelled.

This is not a complete disaster.  I can make a brand new booking for $73 less (combined savings for both voyages) than the bookings which were cancelled.  However, I must accept a guarantee stateroom and I will likely have to change staterooms between the two voyages.  If I want an inside, category 4V, stateroom of my choice, with the opportunity to keep my stateroom between voyages, I must make a new booking for $20 more (combined price increase for both voyages) and accept a less desirable location on the ship. 

What is your advice for me, A, B or C or something else?

A. This is your fault. You misread RCCL's September 15 message.  Make a new booking. Pay the extra $20 in order to keep the same stateroom for each voyage, even if in a less desirable location.

B. This is your fault. You misread RCCL's September 15 message. Make a new booking, for $93 less than the cost of option A.  Accept the guarantee staterooms and live with the minor nuisance of changing staterooms between voyages.

C. This is not your fault. RCCL sent you a misleading email on September 15.  You should insist on a stateroom of your choice, without changing staterooms between voyages, while paying the current price for a guarantee stateroom.  

Your recommendation is appreciated.  Thank you.

I guess my confusion come in as HOW can you Book a cruise without paying the deposit?

Every time and every way i have ever booked a cruise i had to pay the deposit right then, book online, through a TA, even Next cruise

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Stuart Suss said:

Today, November 1, I inquired about my bookings. The RCCL representative in Guatemala informed me that both bookings had been cancelled because I failed to pay the deposit on September 17.  According to the representative, the email of September 15 granted an extension to the final payment deadline, but not an extension to the deposit deadline, even though both were initially due on the same date.

I never heard of Royal Rep being in Guatemala for US bookings. 

22 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

I'm confused too.  I thought no deposit == no cruise?

thank you that's the part I got lost on - how do you not make your initial deposit?   I have had a cabin reserved but I thought that was only for 24 hours.     

Any way to answer OP

A is my answer

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, molly361 said:

It's been that way quite some time now. I rarely get a USA based agent on the phone anymore

HHmmmmmm.....Must depend what department. I haven't for years talked to anyone that wasn't in Miami, Wichita Kansas or Utah.

1 hour ago, cruisegus said:

I guess my confusion come in as HOW can you Book a cruise without paying the deposit?

Every time and every way i have ever booked a cruise i had to pay the deposit right then, book online, through a TA, even Next cruise

Was the bookings thru a TA as RCL would demand a deposit at time of booking.  I've seen some promos from certain TAs with book now and deposit later.

32 minutes ago, bajathree said:

HHmmmmmm.....Must depend what department. I haven't for years talked to anyone that wasn't in Miami, Wichita Kansas or Utah.

I didn't even know they had a call center in Utah-  Here's a thread from a couple of  years ago when they moved the C and A call center to Guatemala- 

Snit13 replied to smush21's topic in Royal Caribbean International

...C & A working from home in Guatemala has no understanding or explanation. By the way, I am only looking for a $8,601.38 refund and not even in a suite this cruise. Sorry if there are spelling errors but I am not a happy camper now.

Doesn’t surprise me since they moved the C&A call centre to Guatemala.

Edited by molly361

4 hours ago, bajathree said:

I never heard of Royal Rep being in Guatemala for US bookings. 

Yes i talked to a few down there recently, I know because I chit chat with them  ie hows your weather; is it raining there also; I understand your slow connectivity issues; looking forward to your weekend or do you have to work.  Had some good and interesting conversations.

Edited by cruisegus

I am the original poster.  This is a lengthy update.

After my original post, I spotted another issue.  If I had to rebook the cruise I would forfeit the opportunity for quadruple loyalty points.  I am a solo traveler booking a standard stateroom. That gives me double loyalty points.  RCCL offered double points on bookings prior to September 22.  That promotion would have given me quadruple loyalty points.  However, a rebooking dated November 1 would no longer qualify for that double points promotion.

I called the phone number for the Crown and Anchor Society.  Once again, the representative was located in Guatemala.  She had no ability to do anything, so I waited a considerable period of time on hold while she called her supervisor.  She returned to the phone to tell me that there was nothing they could do for me.

When I informed her that I wanted to make a formal complaint, she allowed me to speak with her supervisor who was waiting on hold.  The supervisor identified himself as belonging to the “loyalty resolutions” department.  He was also located in Guatemala.  In answer to a question, yes, I ask the location of the person to whom I am speaking.

Despite what I had been told by the representative, her supervisor could not have been more courteous.  He asked me to forward the RCCL email which stated, “Rest assured, no action is needed on your part, and no cancellations will occur until the new final payment date.” 

Well over an hour expired while the supervisor read the RCCL email, reviewed my prior booking, checked current prices. discussed options with me and, perhaps, consulted with his colleagues.  The resolution we reached was as follows:

1.      A new booking, dated November 1, would be required.

2.      My old booking numbers would be restored. I am not sure what that accomplished.

3.      Because the new booking was after the expiration of the double points promotion, the computer system would grant me only double (not quadruple) loyalty points. 

4.      However, the supervisor authorized quadruple loyalty points for my journeys.  Upon my return home, I will be required to call the Crown and Anchor Society and request quadruple points based upon this supervisor’s authorization, as reflected by his notes, which he said he had added to my account.

5.      With respect to the new bookings, I had to pay the current pricing for the voyages. 

6.      Keeping my original stateroom, and keeping the same stateroom for both voyages required $20 more than my original cost.  Rebooking two separate voyages, each as guarantee staterooms, saved $73 over my original cost.

7.      With a price difference of $93, I elected to book separate guarantee staterooms and, for now, assume the burden of changing staterooms between voyages.

Most of you recommended that I pay the extra $20, keep my original stateroom, and keep the same stateroom for both voyages.  Here is why I made a different decision:

1.      I was persuaded by the posters who encouraged me to wait and see what type and location of stateroom the guarantee booking produces, perhaps an upgrade?

2.      Final payment for the voyages is due this Friday, November 5, for the first voyage and November 12 for the second voyage.  There will be minimal time to wait for future price drops.

3.      The supervisor informed me that when my staterooms are assigned, I should call the general booking number and ask if any identical staterooms are available for both voyages.  If the cost of an “upgrade” to the exact same stateroom for both voyages is less than $93, and if I am willing to pay that “upgrade” cost, I don’t think that RCCL will refuse my money.

Many of you have asked why I did not pay a deposit at the time of my original booking.  At that time, I was waiting for a future cruise credit from RCCL’s cancellation of my voyage on Radiance.  The sales representative at the time of my original booking (also located in Guatemala) informed me that I did not need to pay a deposit until my future cruise credit was received.  This was subsequently described to me as an extended courtesy hold, one that lasts for more than the normal 24 hours, for which a deposit was not necessary until the date of final payment.

Thank you to all who offered suggestions.

Did I receive a fair resolution?

Any other questions or advice?