MSC Cabin Categories Changing.

Stockjock

I wonder if this upcoming change is why, right now, only deck 10 sorta mid/aft cabins in Fantastica show availability for May, 14 days N. Europe (Grandiosa). Bella only shows deck nine fwd. I further wonder if it isn't time to grab my canceled cruise refund and run. I'll probably just place a deposit now, see what happens on Monday, then apply FCC at final payment if I decide to give it a try. 

21 hours ago, sidari said:

May be an image of text

So from what I understand Aurea is having a downgrade. Do we know how this is gonna affect the price of the experience? I have a hard time knowing if this is better for costumer or do we loose at the end?

4 hours ago, iPych said:

I have a hard time knowing if this is better for costumer or do we loose at the end?

Cruise companies are still hemorrhaging cash at an alarming rate even. While MSC is not publicly traded, it's reasonable to assume they are burning through reserves at a similar rate as the big 3. Even though ships have resumed sailing, IMO they are not out of hot water just yet. MSC may be fine because they have the shipping company backing, but I suspect cruising in the future is going to look much different than it did pre-covid. 

Here's an excerpt from RCL's most recent earning call. Those loses are Billions with a B.

"The Company reported US GAAP Net Loss for the third quarter of 2021 of $(1.4) billion or $(5.59) per share compared to US GAAP Net Loss of $(1.3) billion or $(6.29) per share in the prior year. The Company also reported Adjusted Net Loss of $(1.2) billion or $(4.91) per share for the third quarter of 2021 compared to Adjusted Net Loss of $(1.2) billion or $(5.62) per share in the prior year." https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/royal-caribbean-group-reports-third-quarter-2021-results-and-provides-updates-on-its-return-to-service-301411891.html

My point is simply that cruise companies will eventually need to recap their losses. IMO we will all lose in the end. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iPych said:

So from what I understand Aurea is having a downgrade. Do we know how this is gonna affect the price of the experience? I have a hard time knowing if this is better for costumer or do we loose at the end?

No Massage and No drink package are just two of the things removed, so anyone booking Aurea will be left with the Sun deck access, on some ships a separate Dining room and access to the spa. No idea how the prices will be reflected but I cannot see them reducing the extra add on cost you pay for Aurea.

• Like 1

Unless I am missing something, it appears that a few cabins that were previously Aurea Experience cabins and that are outside of the Yacht Club area of the ship will now be part of the Yacht Club Experience.  The example that I first noticed are the eight duplex suites on decks 9 and 12 of the Meraviglia but there are others on other ships.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, actuarian said:

Unless I am missing something, it appears that a few cabins that were previously Aurea Experience cabins and that are outside of the Yacht Club area of the ship will now be part of the Yacht Club Experience.  The example that I first noticed are the eight duplex suites on decks 9 and 12 of the Meraviglia but there are others on other ships.

The duplex have been YC.  I don't recall if they were always that way, but they have been for some time on Mera.

4 hours ago, dexddd said:

The duplex have been YC.  I don't recall if they were always that way, but they have been for some time on Mera.

You are probably right but I had assumed they were not YC because they do not show as YC on the cruise deck plans dot com site.

1 hour ago, actuarian said:

You are probably right but I had assumed they were not YC because they do not show as YC on the cruise deck plans dot com site.

At Xmas 2019 on Meraviglia those cabins were not in YC.

Just was able to do a mock booking through the TA site with the new pricing. Aurea Balcony for 12/18 Seashore with the all in package and adding the massage($216/cabin for it) is within $50 of the price it was before if you were to have upgraded to easy plus and added internet. The base price (escape to sea) without adding drinks dropped by $500, and it was $660 to add the easy plus package for a cabin of 4 (2 adults easy plus, 2 minors package). 

21 hours ago, actuarian said:

As much as I like that website and how it has helped, it often has out of date or inaccurate info.  Especially in the details area and sometimes with occupancy numbers.

I say this with knowing NCL categories very well then going there and seeing errors.  With the current MSC room changes, expect more disconnects.

On 11/10/2021 at 10:23 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Cruise companies are still hemorrhaging cash at an alarming rate even. While MSC is not publicly traded, it's reasonable to assume they are burning through reserves at a similar rate as the big 3. Even though ships have resumed sailing, IMO they are not out of hot water just yet. MSC may be fine because they have the shipping company backing, but I suspect cruising in the future is going to look much different than it did pre-covid. 

Here's an excerpt from RCL's most recent earning call. Those loses are Billions with a B.

"The Company reported US GAAP Net Loss for the third quarter of 2021 of $(1.4) billion or $(5.59) per share compared to US GAAP Net Loss of $(1.3) billion or $(6.29) per share in the prior year. The Company also reported Adjusted Net Loss of $(1.2) billion or $(4.91) per share for the third quarter of 2021 compared to Adjusted Net Loss of $(1.2) billion or $(5.62) per share in the prior year." https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/royal-caribbean-group-reports-third-quarter-2021-results-and-provides-updates-on-its-return-to-service-301411891.html

My point is simply that cruise companies will eventually need to recap their losses. IMO we will all lose in the end. 

That's it, exactly! While in theory MSC is the best positioned to survive this ordeal more or less like what we have known it for years, certainly they're not immune to the thread.

Surely companies will need to recap their losses... And they'll also need to be prepared for the next crisis that might to come across. Surely all of us will lose at some point... But not all are bad news here, as far as I can read these changes. Come next late April, early May and they'll confirm if my predictions come to fruition or otherwise not for the 2022 winter season onward:

This current new pricing scheme seems to be transitional from the "experiences" model to a more traditional hotel and cruise room/cabin price schedule or the current airline price schedule. They've just retained the "experience" model for quite a while now because they've lots of sold out inventory alongside lots of FCC's to honor for the next year to come... That said; come 2022 winter season and the price scheme will likely to look like:

First class - YC - Similar to current YC perhaps minus the in cabin mini fridge inclusion.

2nd class - Aurea - Current Aurea suites plus a limited set number of pay for passes for all the other passengers at a first come first serve add on basis, possibly discounted for individuals with a certain number of MSC cruises under their belt. Apart the better located cabins and the exclusive areas and a slightly better restaurant and perhaps menu, there won't be any specific included perks; maybe Aurea will retain some discounts on certain items, but even that is not sure because they may to play with the promotions based on offer and demand numbers.

3rd class - All the other cabins with no perks discrimination. Larger size and better location will mean a small incremental add on price within the category, reverting the unsold cabins as to the guaranteed passengers.

TBHH: That would to be the best scheme possible. At least a basic drinks package is being "offered" for pretty much everyone on most markets, so that is not the Aurea excuse. Nobody pays catalogue prices and nobody enjoys catalogue terms and conditions these days, if they have ever enjoyed to say the least!... The easier I can find my desired cabin or let them to chose one for me alongside the remaining ones of a certain type the best for me... And just for your interest: The "specialty" TA with whom I used to sail in private groups has ever had a chartered inside, outside and balcony group cabin block, being MSC the one to chose our actual cabins depending on availability. I've had Bella cabins with Fantastica experience once that was under the specific terms and conditions of that particular charter deal. At the end of the day all of that will to be past and a new way of cruising will to emerge, like it or not.

Have a nice day!...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JezzaC said:

Seems the update has been done. Logged in and booking seems to be gone. Previous category was O3 Aurea. In the new system Aurea doesn't exist for Oceanview cabins.

And in the pre released info the Aurea Infinite Cabins on Europa did not appear either!

5 minutes ago, bafinegan said:
29 minutes ago, phissy said:

Logged into our account . Shows our cabin 15008 on Meraviglia and experience Bella.
Wow, surprised to see that🙄

Mine is still showing guarantee 😞on the seashore

GTY might be better. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 15008 supposed to be in YC?

• Like 1