MSC Cabin Categories Changing.

Stockjock

36 minutes ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

My guess would be the use of the word Premium?

Bret

The clearly will be more differentiation between cabin classes.  You've got Bella (base), studio, deluxe, premium, etc.  And further, more differentiation between lower and higher floor cabins.  Only stands to reason that these new classifications will be priced accordingly.

I have an upper deck, aft cabin booked for 2022, which I booked as Fantastica.  I would presume that under the new pricing plan, this would be a BL3 Premium high floor balcony, or similar.

On some ships, such as Magnifica, it was possible to get an unobstructed aft Bella balcony.  Best guess is those will no longer be considered Bella.  But on newer ships, such as Grandiosa, to my knowledge, *all* Bella balcony cabins have some form of "obstruction", either via a lifeboat or steel walls.  This will likely be the case on all ships now, but obviously time will tell.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

I’m actually breathing a sigh of relief. I’ve HATED how MSC has classified categories until now. You could have a better type of category with less benefits and vice versa.

I’m that the new reclassification helps get rid of some of the confusion. 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 5:08 PM, Tapi said:

I’m actually breathing a sigh of relief. I’ve HATED how MSC has classified categories until now. You could have a better type of category with less benefits and vice versa.

I’m that the new reclassification helps get rid of some of the confusion. 

I kind of liked the simplicity of not having to figure out 20 different categories, but change is coming, whether we like it or not.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 2

On 11/2/2021 at 6:25 PM, hamrag said:

And, your basis for said conjecture is??

I think it’s pretty safe to assume that when a company - any company - rejiggers pricing that somebody is about to get, uh, what’s a CC friendly word here... let’s just go with somebody is going to be disappointed. 

• Like 1

MSC in 2012 and for a few years after had an issue with too many cabin categories, so they decided that just 4 would be the way forward. Now they go Backwards once again and create more confusion!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, sidari said:

MSC in 2012 and for a few years after had an issue with too many cabin categories, so they decided that just 4 would be the way forward. Now they go Backwards once again and create more confusion!

At least they don't show their now number one category here in the U.S.:  Guarantee.  Take it or leave it.

Edited by JAGR
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

It is  the same pricing module that CCL, NCL, RCCL, Celebrity and others. Want a midship cabin-$ more, want a higher deck cabin $ more, want a aft cabin $ more. I don't mind this change at all! As far as all cabins being on a guarantee status now-they all should settle out on 11/15. This is what my rep from MSC is stating. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mmbcater said:

It is  the same pricing module that CCL, NCL, RCCL, Celebrity and others. Want a midship cabin-$ more, want a higher deck cabin $ more, want a aft cabin $ more. I don't mind this change at all! As far as all cabins being on a guarantee status now-they all should settle out on 11/15. This is what my rep from MSC is stating. 

It will be very interesting to see what happens come 11/15.

Also very interesting they pushed "covid" as the reason for all of this initially.

Assuming this *is* the case, why remove rooms from people sailing *before* 11/15?

• Like 1

I remember my first cruise.  At check-in they told us that we had received a free upgrade.  My then girlfriend and I were so thrilled.  We thought it was such an amazing thing, when the reality was that it was probably an inferior cabin a deck or two higher.

We also got invited to dine with the Captain at his private table on our first cruise.  Pretty sure it was because said GF was very attractive and super chesty.

• Haha 1

On 11/4/2021 at 6:04 AM, zekekelso said:

I think it’s pretty safe to assume that when a company - any company - rejiggers pricing that somebody is about to get, uh, what’s a CC friendly word here... let’s just go with somebody is going to be disappointed. 

Reminds me of when FDR joined NCL. 
He said the new pricing model was to “get rid of the bottom feeders”.

😳

On 11/2/2021 at 6:25 PM, hamrag said:

And, your basis for said conjecture is??

Common Sense? 

If that doesn't work for you, they are even defining certain cabins as premium lol. In addition, the big 3 all use a similar formula to the new MSC formula. Based on many years of competition pricing, it is abundantly clear that the market will support 'premium' pricing for certain locations. Example, people will pay more for an aft facing fantastica on Divina with the extra large balconies. It's a smart business move.

IMO, they might be better off to do away with Bella/fantastica/aurora and keep things simpler, but somehow I don't see that in the cards. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Common Sense? 

If that doesn't work for you, they are even defining certain cabins as premium lol. In addition, the big 3 all use a similar formula to the new MSC formula. Based on many years of competition pricing, it is abundantly clear that the market will support 'premium' pricing for certain locations. Example, people will pay more for an aft facing fantastica on Divina with the extra large balconies. It's a smart business move.

IMO, they might be better off to do away with Bella/fantastica/aurora and keep things simpler, but somehow I don't see that in the cards. 

BB ... MSC moved to the current Experiences from their previous complicated cabin structure and in their own words "to make things simpler" for guests.

Now they have gone backwards beyond what they had earlier with their New upcoming cabin grades.

It will be interesting to see if they scrap the additional add on costs for Fantastica and Aurea which only appeared when MSC moved to the Experiences.

23 hours ago, phissy said:

Reminds me of when FDR joined NCL. 
He said the new pricing model was to “get rid of the bottom feeders”.

😳

Well, he also got rid of the top feeders with the constant ..for your convenience...fees and reductions.  Last time we sailed NCL was 2018.  The prices are high for suites and not going to pay.  We did cave for the Prima TA though as I felt for the number of days and ports it was reasonable.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sidari said:

BB ... MSC moved to the current Experiences from their previous complicated cabin structure and in their own words "to make things simpler" for guests.

Now they have gone backwards beyond what they had earlier with their New upcoming cabin grades.

It will be interesting to see if they scrap the additional add on costs for Fantastica and Aurea which only appeared when MSC moved to the Experiences.

It seems more complicated than ever now, but time will tell. We all know MSC has been trying to take a larger share of the Caribbean market, and North Americans just aren't accustom to the 'experience' labeling.

Although, I do think they maybe onto something with Aurora if they can keep it exclusive.  YC compares nicely to Haven, but Aurora could appeal to those looking for some upscale features without the entire YC pricing. A niche market that I don't see being explored on other lines.

I never have understood the major difference between bella/fantastica besides  room location, which this new pricing structure addresses, so time to ax both of those lol.

Something tells me those caught in transition may need to pack patience but MSC might surprise us here.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It seems more complicated than ever now, but time will tell. We all know MSC has been trying to take a larger share of the Caribbean market, and North Americans just aren't accustom to the 'experience' labeling.

Although, I do think they maybe onto something with Aurora if they can keep it exclusive.  YC compares nicely to Haven, but Aurora could appeal to those looking for some upscale features without the entire YC pricing. A niche market that I don't see being explored on other lines.

I never have understood the major difference between bella/fantastica besides  room location, which this new pricing structure addresses, so time to ax both of those lol.

Something tells me those caught in transition may need to pack patience but MSC might surprise us here.

Aurea has been around for some time and we have sailed in Aurea suites and Balconies, trouble is the downgrade started when they reduced the included drink package to Easy and in the latest info it looks like they have removed Easy now, under the Aurea benefits it now says drink package available at a discount, plus there is no mention of the current included massage.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sidari said:

Aurea has been around for some time and we have sailed in Aurea suites and Balconies, trouble is the downgrade started when they reduced the included drink package to Easy and in the latest info it looks like they have removed Easy now, under the Aurea benefits it now says drink package available at a discount, plus there is no mention of the current included massage.

I feel like if they are going to keep the experiences, then they really need to simplify what is included in each. I think the selling point for Aurea is going to be the special deck space on the newer ships where you don't have to compete for a lounge chair. The area on Divina was not very appealing (at all), but it looks nice on the newer builds. It's a bit like the NCL model where you can purchase Vibe passes. I think there is a market for this amenity.