MOVE UP Question (Newbie)

Notalotofinfo

From  my unscientific anecdotal evidence, the bidder in the inside cabin would have a better chance winning a Move Up bid on an Aqua Class Stateroom, and someone in a Sky Suite would be more likely to win the Penthouse (or a Celebrity or Royal Suite).

Unless the bid is crazy high, or the ship is really empty, I think there is a cut-off at the Aqua Class level, and then the next tier is within the suite level.  As I said, this is my unscientific, anecdotal opinion.  ;  )  

11 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

From  my unscientific anecdotal evidence, the bidder in the inside cabin would have a better chance winning a Move Up bid on an Aqua Class Stateroom, and someone in a Sky Suite would be more likely to win the Penthouse (or a Celebrity or Royal Suite).

Unless the bid is crazy high, or the ship is really empty, I think there is a cut-off at the Aqua Class level, and then the next tier is within the suite level.  As I said, this is my unscientific, anecdotal opinion.  ;  )  

That is a good question

Edited by steveweese

If someone booked an Inside Cabin at $1,100, and offered a $1,000 Move -up bid for a Penthouse Suite then they would be paying $2,100.  Whereas a Sky Suite passenger may have paid $3,700 for their stateroom, so their $1,000 bid puts them at $4,700 for the Penthouse.  Looking at it that way, it would make sense of the two bids, the Sky Suite passenger would be the winner.

I think that since there is an entire deck of Aqua Class rooms, that folks would have a better chance to win a Move-Up bid for one of those rooms.  Also, in my personal experience, I won a Move Up bid from a regular Verandah room to an Aqua Class room and I've never looked back.  Once you get a taste for Blu, it's hard to give that up!  ;  )

Hoping to make it to a Sky Suite someday.

23 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

If someone booked an Inside Cabin at $1,100, and offered a $1,000 Move -up bid for a Penthouse Suite then they would be paying $2,100.  Whereas a Sky Suite passenger may have paid $3,700 for their stateroom, so their $1,000 bid puts them at $4,700 for the Penthouse.  Looking at it that way, it would make sense of the two bids, the Sky Suite passenger would be the winner.

I think that since there is an entire deck of Aqua Class rooms, that folks would have a better chance to win a Move-Up bid for one of those rooms.  Also, in my personal experience, I won a Move Up bid from a regular Verandah room to an Aqua Class room and I've never looked back.  Once you get a taste for Blu, it's hard to give that up!  ;  )

Hoping to make it to a Sky Suite someday.

If is all about revenue and the inside bids 50 more they might take it!

But if they were able to use the move up on the sky suite once it’s open maybe it’s a better deal that way. 

Edited by Notalotofinfo
Fat fingers

As an aside, I emailed =X= that I was disappointed not to get an emailed Move Up invite.  To my surprise I learned in their reply that my warehouse club TA (based in Washington state) does not participate in the Move Up program.  I had no idea a TA could keep a client from the opportunity to upgrade.   I don't see the upside for them to do so.  Could anyone enlighten?

No one knows how the bids are decided.  But looking at @Ferry_Watcherexample pre move up X had guaranteed  $3700  from the SS passenger  and guarantee $1, 100 from the inside booking so the  surface the inside bid generates a extra $1,100 in revenue while the SS only generates a extra $1k.  
But I think the domino effect comes into play.  So the SS moves up and a AQ or Concierge move up to a SS then veranda moves up to AQ or CC.  

The idea is to generate extra revenue and the domino does that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jelayne said:

No one knows how the bids are decided.  But looking at @Ferry_Watcherexample pre move up X had guaranteed  $3700  from the SS passenger  and guarantee $1, 100 from the inside booking so the  surface the inside bid generates a extra $1,100 in revenue while the SS only generates a extra $1k.  
But I think the domino effect comes into play.  So the SS moves up and a AQ or Concierge move up to a SS then veranda moves up to AQ or CC.  

I agree with that theory, it makes to much sense. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marieps said:

As an aside, I emailed =X= that I was disappointed not to get an emailed Move Up invite.  To my surprise I learned in their reply that my warehouse club TA (based in Washington state) does not participate in the Move Up program.  I had no idea a TA could keep a client from the opportunity to upgrade.   I don't see the upside for them to do so.  Could anyone enlighten?

Maybe not enlighten, but this has been reported many times.  It is not in their contract.  I am not sure why, perhaps they do not want their clients upgrading for a discount, so they will earn more commission.

I did recently learn that your TA receives additional commission if you win a Move Up bid. I know because they shared it with me.

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

I believe you are correct about the domino affect.    How much Celebrity can get for your vacated cabin is likely to be a factor.  I suspected it was on my last Move up bid win.  This may be one of the reasons that they solicit bids for categories not currently available.   I do not know if the slider is the same for everyone.  I will have to test this on my next cruise.  

But  perhaps it is too logical?

I just posted this reply on the other move up thread

5 hours ago, D C said:

Has anyone upgraded onboard instead of going through the move up offer process?  

Seems like it should be possible, given the current low occupancy.

Yes and No   In a CS bid for RS and although minimum we gave it a go knowing we were happy with CS ' The bid was rejected for us and our travel companions who did around the same amount. As soon as we got onboard went to Guest Services and Yes upgrade to RS there were 2 available and it was $200 less than we had bid in Move Up

• Like 1

13 hours ago, marieps said:

As an aside, I emailed =X= that I was disappointed not to get an emailed Move Up invite. 

FWIW, I did receive emails from X for both legs, and the person we have discussed in email sent me also sent me the same links that day.  Evidently she was aware of my eligibility to bid and wanted to be sure I had received notice.  Great service.

Still no word on my lowball bid from RS to PH, but I suspect both the PH are occupied for both B2B legs.  From the time we started looking at this cruise, it hasn't appeared as available on the web site.  I suspect that some MoveUp bids are solicited to back fill in the event of cancellations and no shows.  I know who is in one of them for the 2nd leg.

13 hours ago, marieps said:

I believe that the warehouse club's policy is stated in the fine print on their travel/cruise website. My guess is (but I could be wrong) that if you "moved up" you'd be doing that directly with Celebrity and the TA would not be receiving any additional commission.

JMHO

37 minutes ago, canderson said:

FWIW, I did receive emails from X for both legs, and the person we have discussed in email sent me also sent me the same links that day.  Evidently she was aware of my eligibility to bid and wanted to be sure I had received notice.  Great service.

Still no word on my lowball bid from RS to PH, but I suspect both the PH are occupied for both B2B legs.  From the time we started looking at this cruise, it hasn't appeared as available on the web site.  I suspect that some MoveUp bids are solicited to back fill in the event of cancellations and no shows.  I know who is in one of them for the 2nd leg.

I'll try my luck on board.

Edited by marieps

39 minutes ago, canderson said:

Same for our cruise. 

Edited by steveweese

2 minutes ago, mkam2821 said:

I believe that the warehouse club's policy is stated in the fine print on their travel/cruise website. My guess is (but I could be wrong) that if you "moved up" you'd be doing that directly with Celebrity and the TA would not be receiving any additional commission.

JMHO

But they wouldn't be losing commission, so what's the difference to them?  As of now, they're losing a client, so there's that.

7 hours ago, mkam2821 said:

JMHO

I cannot say what Warehouse’s contract stipulates. I know for a fact that my TA received a commission on the extra money that I spent on the winning bid.

7 hours ago, Team Stag said:

I don't think each category starts at the same spot.   For example, in your scenario, where as a Sky Suite min bid may be $1000 / person; the Inside passenger min bid per passenger would be $4000 / person. 

That would be interesting test/evaluation.

14 hours ago, Notalotofinfo said:

One more question. Is there a time frame that they normally except or reject the bids. Do they wait until 48 hours prior to sailing ?

Seems to be that the 5-day-out mark is where the bids close.

I've still got a minimum bid Pending on a SS for next Saturday Apex sailing. I expect I'll either get it or not on Monday.

On 11/4/2021 at 10:29 AM, Team Stag said:

I don't think each category starts at the same spot.   For example, in your scenario, where as a Sky Suite min bid may be $1000 / person; the Inside passenger min bid per passenger would be $4000 / person. 

On 11/4/2021 at 5:54 PM, jagoffee said:

That would be interesting test/evaluation.

Not a test. More an accurate view of how it works...

• Thanks 1