If I'm on a 24 day cruise, should I tip crew once a week or wait till end of cruise?

BetsyS.

I will be going on a 24 day cruise from Boston in August of 2022 on the Niew Statendam with my stepfather. Even though there are prepaid gratuities, I also like to tip our cabin stewards and 

waiters in cash.  I would like to tip once a week, and I am wondering if this is what other passengers do on a cruise that is longer than one week.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Betsy in Maine

They will love it whenever they get it!  On our recent 24 day cruise we waited until a couple of nights from the end of the cruise.  But I did check with them a couple times to be sure they weren’t getting transferred to a different floor or ship. 

• Thanks 1

You can do it any way you would like.  We always ask our cabin stewards if they will be on for our full cruise.  If one or both will be leaving before we do, then we make sure to give them their tips before they leave.  Otherwise we wait until a night or two before the end of our cruise. Other ways you can let them know they're appreciated is to mention them on the "Let us Know" option under "connect" on the Navigator. We did that a few times during our recent 24-day cruise.   And of course on the post-cruise survey. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Riversedge said:

They will love it whenever they get it!  On our recent 24 day cruise we waited until a couple of nights from the end of the cruise.  But I did check with them a couple times to be sure they weren’t getting transferred to a different floor or ship. 

Thanks. It is good to remember that the crew sometimes get transferred to a different floor or ship, and sometimes crew will leave ship to go on vacation.

Betsy

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

You can do it any way you would like.  We always ask our cabin stewards if they will be on for our full cruise.  If one or both will be leaving before we do, then we make sure to give them their tips before they leave.  Otherwise we wait until a night or two before the end of our cruise. Other ways you can let them know they're appreciated is to mention them on the "Let us Know" option under "connect" on the Navigator. We did that a few times during our recent 24-day cruise.   And of course on the post-cruise survey. 

Thanks for telling me about the "Let us Know" option.    I write down names 

of crew who are helpful so I can give them credit on the post-cruise survey.

Betsy

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

We follow the same procedure.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BetsyS. said:

I will be going on a 24 day cruise from Boston in August of 2022 on the Niew Statendam with my stepfather. Even though there are prepaid gratuities, I also like to tip our cabin stewards and 

waiters in cash.  I would like to tip once a week, and I am wondering if this is what other passengers do on a cruise that is longer than one week.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Betsy in Maine

Wait until the end..

2 hours ago, highscar said:

We did it daily.   Left one gratuity on each side of the bed.   

Our experience: cabin stewards do not touch it if not joined by a card or in a enveloppe with their name on it. Even in the fruitbin which had to be filled: untouched.  But: yes! is was gone when put under the shoes to be cleaned 😉 

• Like 3

On a long cruise, I ask my Stewards if they will "be with me" throughout the cruise if there appears to be a port on the itinerary where a cruise change might occur.  If their answer is yes, I will offer whatever extra gratuity on the last day/night of the cruise.

On a really long cruise, I will offer a gratuity either at the half way mark or at the end of identified segments in the itinerary.  

Thanks to all for the wonderful advice. 

I think tipping on day one is a great idea. I will do that and I 

won't have to worry about it for the rest of the trip.  The crew 

work hard and they have long hours. 

I hope you all have a great weekend.

Don't forget to turn your clocks back one hour on Saturday night!

Betsy in Maine

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Schooner-ca said:

We tip our cabin staff on day one. That way we get the benefits of the tip rather than being lumped in with everyone else. This have proven to be a great move. 

5 hours ago, BetsyS. said:

I think tipping on day one is a great idea. I will do that and I 

won't have to worry about it for the rest of the trip

I imagine you are aware that this practice is controversial.  

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, echoshipmate said:

Why?

Some view tipping at first is a "bribe" for good service.  Others don't.  Some feel it makes no difference if one does.  Some feel that it does make a difference.  

It is one's personal choice as to whom, or if, one offers an additional gratuity to whatever crew member one chooses to do and whenever one chooses to do so.  

I will do whatever I choose to do and whomever is free to do whatever they choose to do.  I respect their decision as I expect them to respect mine with regard to this situation.  

42 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Some view tipping at first is a "bribe" for good service.  Others don't.  Some feel it makes no difference if one does.  Some feel that it does make a difference.  

It is one's personal choice as to whom, or if, one offers an additional gratuity to whatever crew member one chooses to do and whenever one chooses to do so.  

I will do whatever I choose to do and whomever is free to do whatever they choose to do.  I respect their decision as I expect them to respect mine with regard to this situation.  

I agree that tipping is a very personal decision.  I respect what others do.

The amount that I tip depends on the service I get, so it's not one size fits all.

Some crew go above and beyond and I like to show them my appreciation.

We all do what we think is best for us. I want to thank everyone 

again for sharing their advice.

Betsy in Maine

• Like 2