timing of flight on departure day help please

rescuemom

I had my reservations all booked for my feb carribean cruise from FLL and then today I got a change notice. They have changed my flight on departure day to 11 am. I have always tried to get a flight at noon or after. With the current climate of staff shortages I am concerned that I will not have enough time to get off the ship and to the airport. and I dont remember, its been so long, is there customs involved? what has been your experience. I can change it, it just means instead of a straight flight we have to do a 3 hour layover somewhere silly.... 

9 minutes ago, rescuemom said:

I had my reservations all booked for my feb carribean cruise from FLL and then today I got a change notice. They have changed my flight on departure day to 11 am. I have always tried to get a flight at noon or after. With the current climate of staff shortages I am concerned that I will not have enough time to get off the ship and to the airport. and I dont remember, its been so long, is there customs involved? what has been your experience. I can change it, it just means instead of a straight flight we have to do a 3 hour layover somewhere silly.... 

You will have no problem with an 11am flight from FLL assuming your cruise is out of Port Everglades. Just make sure you do self disembarkation or disembark the first boarding group. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

You will have no problem with an 11am flight from FLL assuming your cruise is out of Port Everglades. Just make sure you do self disembarkation or disembark the first boarding group. 

I've corrected my original post to say port Everglades, not Port Canaveral. 

Unless something drastic happens re: arrival in port or customs, you will be fine.  The Fort Lauderdale airport is very close to the port.  We have made a 10:00 with no problems, although I wouldn't recommend that early.

Our flight on Dec. 10th is at 11:30 and not worried at all.  I would do self disembarkation if possible, or be sure they give you an early time to get off the ship.

Since Princess lost my husband's suitcase a few years back, we always do that anyway!  My suitcase was right where it was supposed to be, his never showed up.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

You are smart to normally book flights after 12, but this time should be just fine. Don’t go with the ship transfers, it takes too long waiting for the bus to fill up, they drop you off at one spot and you have to wait for them to unload All the luggage. So just go with a taxi and zip right over. 

Den

• Like 1

We disembarked from the Edge at 8:30 last Saturday, got luggage, called Uber and were dropped off at FLL at 9.   FLL was a bit of a mess because of all the AA flight cancellations but we were through Security and at our gate in about 45 minutes. 

The taxi stand is right outside the terminal to the left with tons of taxi’s. Not sure how Uber works there, but many have said they’ve used it recently. You just step over to the taxi area and an assistant will guide you to one, depending on the size of your group and luggage……many big taxis! 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, rescuemom said:

thanks all. since we usually do ship transfers, hold my hand...... is there a taxi stand right at the port? has uber/lyft still been responsive in this age of no body having enough help? 

I used Uber last Saturday at Port Everglades.  It was super easy, and relatively fast response time.  I had a 10:13 am flight, so I did self disembarkation, ordered the Uber, and was at the airport before 9am.  Just make sure you get someone to tell you the correct place to wait for your Uber.  When I first exited the terminal, they told us the wrong place, but then someone else came along to point out the correct place.  It wasn't a big deal since my Uber was still en route. 

3 hours ago, Denny01 said:

You are smart to normally book flights after 12, but this time should be just fine. Don’t go with the ship transfers, it takes too long waiting for the bus to fill up, they drop you off at one spot and you have to wait for them to unload All the luggage. So just go with a taxi and zip right over. 

Den

We took a ship’s transfer last month, because it was fairly inexpensive and we had a lot of time.  
The FLL COVID rules may have changed since last month.  The transfer dropped us off between terminal building in the arrival level.  I was sorry I took it.  Uber or taxi is the way to go.

8 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

We took a ship’s transfer last month, because it was fairly inexpensive and we had a lot of time.  
The FLL COVID rules may have changed since last month.  The transfer dropped us off between terminal building in the arrival level.  I was sorry I took it.  Uber or taxi is the way to go.

That is where they dropped us prior to the pandemic. Not handy at all. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2021 at 9:57 AM, rescuemom said:

thanks all. since we usually do ship transfers, hold my hand...... is there a taxi stand right at the port? has uber/lyft still been responsive in this age of no body having enough help? 

Can’t miss the taxi stand, just follow the signs. You did not say which ship you were on, but if you are  on Edge or Equinox at the new terminal (?25, I think), Customs dumps you out several dozen feetfeet from the taxi stand. Exit the building, turn right and head back toward where you were dropped off for embarkation. Taxis dropping off embarking passengers make a little loop and line up to pick up departing passengers a little further down from customs.

I’ve departed as early as 8:30 and there were lots of cabs, lots of CC folk post about early walkoff, and I’ve never heard anyone say they were so early that no cabs were available, but you could order an Uber if worried. No ship transfer! Pack light so it is easier to manage your luggage.

If the whole ship is delayed in customs or if there is a sanitation inspection, people won’t make the noon flights either, so what can you do?