Bob Binder moving upstairs; Howard Sherman to replace

Host Jazzbeau

New article on Cruise Industry News:

Sherman to Take the Helm at Oceania; More NCLH Changes

•  Bob Binder is moving from President and CEO of Oceania to Vice Chairman of NCLH

•  Howard Sherman becomes the new Oceania President and CEO

The good news:  Binder is a co-founder of Oceania and will continue to advise FDR, the 'main' co-founder.

The question mark:  Sherman's current position is EVP for Onboard Revenue and Destination Services at NCLH. 

This may be worrisome because there are three models of onboard revenue at NCLH:  Regent, which is all-inclusive; Oceania, which is pretty inclusive; and NCL, which is known as the 'Nickel-and-dime Cruise Line.'

Let's hope that Sherman understands that each of these models is right for that particular line, and doesn't try to move Oceania either toward all-inclusive or toward nickel-and-diming.

[Full disclosure:  I was so disgusted by the nickel-and-diming on NCL that it is the only cruise line I refuse to sail again.]

32 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

•  Bob Binder is moving from President and CEO of Oceania to Vice Chairman of NCLH

The good news:  Binder is a co-founder of Oceania and will continue to advise FDR, the 'main' co-founder.

The question mark:  Sherman's current position is EVP for Onboard Revenue and Destination Services at NCLH. 

This may be worrisome because there are three models of onboard revenue at NCLH:  Regent, which is all-inclusive; Oceania, which is pretty inclusive; and NCL, which is known as the 'Nickel-and-dime Cruise Line.'

Let's hope that Sherman understands that each of these models is right for that particular line, and doesn't try to move Oceania either toward all-inclusive or toward nickel-and-diming.

[Full disclosure:  I was so disgusted by the nickel-and-diming on NCL that it is the only cruise line I refuse to sail again.]

FWIW: The “good/better/best” product/service philosophy is certainly not unique to the cruise industry. But, let’s focus on the cruise version.

The last thing any cruise consortium wants is to have its products (i.e., lines) be too much more like each other than different. (E.G., Azamara already what RCCI wants Celebrity to be? Sell Azamara!)

The mass market lines are major feeders for the premium/luxury lines. Even the “ship within a ship” offerings serve as an entry level experience urging folks to then try the “real thing.”
It would be counterproductive to make O more like NCL. Even more importantly, we must never forget that O is FDR’s “baby.” And now his “O founding partner” Bob Binder will double O’s protection at the NCLH executive planning desk.

Finally, remember where Sherman cane from. He was Exec VP of Prestige Holdings (O and Regent) for a decade before NCLH was formed.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Binder’s exit from the company (Oceania/NCLH) has been long discussed. This is old news. An easy search here on CC will even yield the terms of his departure compensation and scheduled departure.

All this does is ease a new face in for a few months before Bob goes on to another life. Best of Luck to Binder in his new endeavors.

• Like 1

Howard Sherman has a very good reputation at NCL and is a great communicator so I’m sure Oceania will be in good hands. Change is a constant is the business world and FDR would not have given his “baby” to someone he did already trust to nourish it.

4 minutes ago, HiFi43 said:

Howard Sherman has a very good reputation at NCL and is a great communicator so I’m sure Oceania will be in good hands. Change is a constant is the business world and FDR would not have given his “baby” to someone he did already trust to nourish it.

Yes- see my post #2 above. Sherman knows O from long before NCLH.

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Bob Binder moving upstairs; Howard Sherman to replace
2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

As someone who has cruised on NCL many, many times over the course of 30 or more years... many, many times more than I've cruised on Oceania, I've never felt "nickeled and dimed".  There were cruises where I literally had not a dollar in on board charges other than daily service charges/gratuities, just as I would have had i been cruising on Oceania.

You only get "nickeled and dimed" if you permit yourself to.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Binder’s exit from the company (Oceania/NCLH) has been long discussed. This is old news. An easy search here on CC will even yield the terms of his departure compensation and scheduled departure.

All this does is ease a new face in for a few months before Bob goes on to another life. Best of Luck to Binder in his new endeavors.

When I posted long ago that this was going to happen, there was a certain regular on this board who denied it . It didn't seem to matter to that individual that I took the information about Binder's employment contract directly from NCLH's SEC filings...oh no...I was wrong...🙄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, njhorseman said:

As someone who has cruised on NCL many, many times over the course of 30 or more years... many, many times more than I've cruised on Oceania, I've never felt "nickeled and dimed".  There were cruises where I literally had not a dollar in on board charges other than daily service charges/gratuities, just as I would have had i been cruising on Oceania.

+ 1

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

He was in charge of Onboard Revenue for all three brands. This means not only he knew the three different models of onboard revenue, but it was his job to make the distinction between the brands. Sherman also knows the “O” brand extremely well. That is where he began before the mergers. 

12 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Do they still refuse to let you bring water on board?  Even their own water that you paid for that morning to take on one of their ship excursions?  That happened on our cruise.  But you're right, it wasn't a nickel or a dime – much more expensive than that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Not to worry!!

Jancruz1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Do they still refuse to let you bring water on board?  Even their own water that you paid for that morning to take on one of their ship excursions?  That happened on our cruise.  But you're right, it wasn't a nickel or a dime – much more expensive than that.

I'm reluctant to dignify your comments with a serious response, but it would no longer be possible for NCL to refuse to allow you to bring water you bought from them back onto the ship because for a couple of years now the only water they sell on board is their own brand, which is packaged in an ecologically friendly plastic-free container, just as Oceania has gone over to a new included on board water product. You'd only be asked to empty the container if it had been opened as it would be then be possible for the water "bottle" to be filled with something other than water. Or you always have the option of using your own refillable water bottle, filled with perfectly good water from the dispensers in the buffet.

As to it being "much more expensive than that" the answer lies in your  own spending choices, not that you were "nickeled and dimed". If I can disembark having incurred no on board charges other than for daily service charges/gratuities then so can anyone.

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I just checked with Bob..they do not charge for their water on board even if you are going on a tour..so Im not sure what ship you were on!!

Jancruz1

16 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

I just checked with Bob..they do not charge for their water on board even if you are going on a tour..so Im not sure what ship you were on!!

Jancruz1

8 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

@Host Jazzbeauwas referring to NCL charging for bottled water, which they do. Oceania doesn't .

NCL Pride of America 2016.  Our second (and last!) NCL cruise.

I sail with Oceania because of no Nickle and diming, no picture herding on en/debarkation, fantastic food and staff who care.  

Senior management only effect is broad stroke direction.  Its staff on the phones and on board who make the difference.

3 hours ago, GICNJC said:

I sail with Oceania because of no Nickle and diming, no picture herding on en/debarkation, fantastic food and staff who care.  

Senior management only effect is broad stroke direction.  Its staff on the phones and on board who make the difference.

But there is a reason staff on board is so good..

Jancruz1

23 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

They do on NCL.    The only way to get “free” bottled water is to purchase the highest drink package offered.   With that being said, the ship water is perfectly fine; bring a tumbler with you and you’re all set.