Options for Covid test pre=cruise

Nebr.cruiser

On 3/23/2022 at 7:29 PM, taylortime05 said:

I usually use CVS testing because Walgreens only accepts drive-up's and we will not have a car for our cruise out of Miami.    Did you have a drive thru appointment?

Actually I want to do a test at Walgreens and I was concerned about the “drive-up”. I also will be on foot to the store and hoped I could approach on foot to the drive up window.   Anyone done that?  At this time we need a test one-day prior to boarding as it is some requirement for our TA sailing for arriving in Spain 10 days later.  Go figure!  We have a very early flight out so can’t get tested that morning.  

2 hours ago, gfkcruiser said:

Actually I want to do a test at Walgreens and I was concerned about the “drive-up”. I also will be on foot to the store and hoped I could approach on foot to the drive up window.   Anyone done that?  At this time we need a test one-day prior to boarding as it is some requirement for our TA sailing for arriving in Spain 10 days later.  Go figure!  We have a very early flight out so can’t get tested that morning.  

I found this on the Walgreens website.  But that doesn't mean that the stores do not make exceptions. I'd love to know if they do make exceptions.

Edited by taylortime05

4 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

I found this on the Walgreens website.  But that doesn't mean that the stores do not make exceptions. I'd love to know if they do make exceptions.

But we are not entering the testing location.  So will do lab doctor location or emed. 

2 minutes ago, gfkcruiser said:

But we are not entering the testing location.  So will do lab doctor location or emed. 

I ended up buying the 6 pack covid tests from emed. We have a cruise in April, Dec and next Feb.  They do not expire until next April so I should get to use them.  With my luck, the cruise line will stop the testing requirement, lol. 

11 hours ago, fount said:

We are thinking about getting tested at the FLL airport in Terminal 3.  Has anyone been tested there?  They even take walk-ins.

Yes, we were tested there in December.  We made an appointment.  You need to enter FLL as both your departure and arrival destinations.  It was very easy and we got our results within the hour.  It may be busier now, but that was our experience at the time.  Because of the increase in cruisers, I would recommend the appointment in case they get too busy to accept more walk-ins.

33 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Yes, we were tested there in December.  We made an appointment.  You need to enter FLL as both your departure and arrival destinations.  It was very easy and we got our results within the hour.  It may be busier now, but that was our experience at the time.  Because of the increase in cruisers, I would recommend the appointment in case they get too busy to accept more walk-ins.

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I do want to make a reservation, but just not sure how long it will take to get there after we land. We will be landing at terminal 1, get luggage, then walk to terminal 3. Do you recall about how long it took you?  I'm feeling better knowing about your experience. Thanks again!

Just FYI: The FDA has further extended the shelf life of the Optum/eMed test kits beyond their original expiration date.

Originally my kit expired in November (was delivered to me in DEC), then extended by the FDA by 3 months until February and now until May 2022.

I had this confirmed by Abbott as the posted letter wasn't entirely clear.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

Just FYI: The FDA has further extended the shelf life of the Optum/eMed test kits beyond their original expiration date.

Originally my kit expired in November (was delivered to me in DEC), then extended by the FDA by 3 months until February and now until May 2022.

I had this confirmed by Abbott as the posted letter wasn't entirely clear.

We also emailed Abbott to confirm our lot number… they were quick to respond!

• Like 1

Quick review on Lab Doctor in Fort Lauderdale:

My wife and I got tested there today. Arrived at ~8.40AM, got "signed in" and filled out a web form with name, DOB etc. from my phone. We waited around 15 minutes (there were approximately 10 other persons waiting ahead of us, mostly couples presumably getting tested for a Saturday or Sunday cruise/flight), then got called in, antigen tests taken on both of us VERY gently (ie. not very far into the nostril), printed negative results received after another ~15 minutes. In and out in just over 30 minutes.

Very relaxed atmosphere, no queue-cutting by anyone, everyone was called in chronologically.

I can certainly recommend them for anyone wanting an antigen test done in Fort Lauderdale.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2022 at 9:24 AM, fount said:

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I do want to make a reservation, but just not sure how long it will take to get there after we land. We will be landing at terminal 1, get luggage, then walk to terminal 3. Do you recall about how long it took you?  I'm feeling better knowing about your experience. Thanks again!

We just did it today. Depending how fast you walk, I'd say 15-20 minutes of actual walking unless you walk slowly. Our flight was delayed and we got there at least 20 minutes late. They couldn't care less. It was not crowded at all this time, and we got our negative test results when we were in the Uber on the way to our hotel!

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

We just did it today. Depending how fast you walk, I'd say 15-20 minutes of actual walking unless you walk slowly. Our flight was delayed and we got there at least 20 minutes late. They couldn't care less. It was not crowded at all this time, and we got our negative test results when we were in the Uber on the way to our hotel!

Thank you!  We actually  did it yesterday. Our flight was very late also. They were great and very helpful. We got our results quickly too!  However, I did call them and got an email that has all the info on one page. Are you going to print yours out?

On 3/23/2022 at 8:52 AM, StillLooking4Adventure said:

Celebrity still hasn't decided if we need tests prior to our cruise leaving from the UK in 4 weeks. I'm waiting to pull the trigger on buying the binex tests. I will need 4, 2 to get on 2 to return to the US. It would be nice to know sooner than later. 

We are waiting for this info too!  UK cruise in May.

Has any EU citizen succesfully used

-EU digital COVID19 test certificate (for pre-cruise negative test)

or

-EU digital COVID19 recovery certificate (if test would happen to bee positive)? 

Customer service was not able to answer this, I think EU digital pass was a new thing. 

I think that EU digital vaccine cert seems to be Ok, but wondering is EU digital version Ok also for negative test certificate or should it be something more special. 

42 minutes ago, jamon said:

what was the cost for the test at lab doctor

On 4/2/2022 at 1:43 PM, Tak8 said:

What was the cost for Lab Doctor?

On 4/1/2022 at 9:52 PM, mikkelhansen said:

Quick review on Lab Doctor in Fort Lauderdale:

Two others have asked about cost but didn't quote your post, so I'm doing in on their behalf.

On 3/1/2022 at 8:51 AM, chamima said:

Where are you sailing from?

If it's Fort Lauderdale try Lab Doctor.

They're on 17th street across from Embassy Suites.

https://labdoctor.org/

954-530-4447
855-LABDOCTOR

Covid-19 Antigen testing $49 results in 15 minutes, Covid-19 PCR Nasal Swab Test $99.00. results in one hour

https://labdoctor.org/covid-pcr-testing/

Edited by chamima
  • Thanks 1

My husband and I are scheduled for a cruise in early June. I had already ordered  the Abbott monitored at home tests recommended by Celebrity  before cancelling our February cruise so I have them to use. I would really appreciate some insight into my concerns about the pre cruise testing.

I have researched the on line testing (I even watched the demonstration on UTube) and it looks very doable.  However, I am not very comfortable with technology and am concerned about using my phone and desk top computer to make all the correct connections to follow through on getting the right apps, connecting with the video and getting the results of the tests on my phone.

The option of going to CVS or Walgreens also worries me because I  hear of people who have not gotten their results in the promised 24 hours because of glitches in the system. Plus you do need to wait 24 hours.

I know it is my decision to make but I am so stressed that any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.     

Thanks to all who have shared testing options.  We are cruising in May on RCL and hoping that testing requirements will change before then.

The kits sold by Optum seem like a good option but it is not clear what's the price per person.  Can you use the $70 two pack to test two people or the $100 three pack for testing three people?  Or does telehealth require one test kit ordered per person?  We have a group of four so maybe the six pack for $150 directly from eMed would be better than buying from Optum assuming all four of us can share that six pack.  Not sure if there is an advantage buying from Optum over eMed other than the quantity.

If my health insurance will cover the tests, then maybe we'll book an appointment at a local pharmacy that offers rapid testing with same day results.  Don't want to wait a day or two to find out. We are located in the Tampa Bay area and Walgreens seems the best option around us for rapid testing.  CVS mostly does PCR and the nearby urgent care clinics won't take insurance for travel tests and charge $150pp.  Since we are sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale, I guess our backup plan could be Lab Doctor in Fort Lauderdale on sail day after driving over.  Too bad they don't have one of those near the port in Tampa.

2 hours ago, beebee said:

My husband and I are scheduled for a cruise in early June. I had already ordered  the Abbott monitored at home tests recommended by Celebrity  before cancelling our February cruise so I have them to use. I would really appreciate some insight into my concerns about the pre cruise testing.

I have researched the on line testing (I even watched the demonstration on UTube) and it looks very doable.  However, I am not very comfortable with technology and am concerned about using my phone and desk top computer to make all the correct connections to follow through on getting the right apps, connecting with the video and getting the results of the tests on my phone.

The option of going to CVS or Walgreens also worries me because I  hear of people who have not gotten their results in the promised 24 hours because of glitches in the system. Plus you do need to wait 24 hours.

I know it is my decision to make but I am so stressed that any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.     

The Abbott proctored at-home tests are pretty easy to perform, IMHO (I've done three of them).  Basically just sign up at Navica, download their app, go to emed.com when ready to test, follow your proctor's instructions, and you're done.  If you have a separate webcam on your computer, then you should be in good shape.  If it's embedded in the monitor, then you might have some problems since that camera is going to have to be moved some and that monitor may or may not be able to move enough.  There are people who have used cell phones to test; search around for some videos.

As for CVS and Walgreens, I'm not an expert, but plenty of people have used them in the past and some will use them in the future.  Mostly they haven't had any issues.  Don't worry, be happy! 🙂

1 hour ago, the fish said:

The kits sold by Optum seem like a good option but it is not clear what's the price per person.  Can you use the $70 two pack to test two people or the $100 three pack for testing three people?  Or does telehealth require one test kit ordered per person?  We have a group of four so maybe the six pack for $150 directly from eMed would be better than buying from Optum assuming all four of us can share that six pack.  Not sure if there is an advantage buying from Optum over eMed other than the quantity.

You can use four tests for four people if you like.  The 6-pack seems like a good option for your group of four.  It will provide a couple of extras if things go well and backups if they don't.  The one advantage Optum had over eMed is that they didn't charge for shipping, but now they do, so be sure to compare the total charges for each.

Any good options for Seattle?  I've got the eMed tests to bring but was hoping for a back-up.  There are a couple of Walgreens but its that drive up situation and we'll be in Seattle for 5 nights pre-cruise with no car.  Hmph.

1 hour ago, mrsfecura said:

Any good options for Seattle?  I've got the eMed tests to bring but was hoping for a back-up.  There are a couple of Walgreens but its that drive up situation and we'll be in Seattle for 5 nights pre-cruise with no car.  Hmph.

I'd love to know this too. We're flying in from the UK, and going to be there for a week before our cruise. I'm seriously considering ordering video supervised tests here and taking them out with me, unless there is something reasonably priced that you don't need a car for (we aren't hiring a car).

On 4/3/2022 at 12:08 PM, Balconyview1 said:

Has any EU citizen succesfully used

-EU digital COVID19 test certificate (for pre-cruise negative test)

or

-EU digital COVID19 recovery certificate (if test would happen to bee positive)? 

Customer service was not able to answer this, I think EU digital pass was a new thing. 

I think that EU digital vaccine cert seems to be Ok, but wondering is EU digital version Ok also for negative test certificate or should it be something more special. 

Under the current guidelines, you will NOT be allowed onboard with just the digital recovery certificate, you explicitly MUST bring a written medical attestation along with your recovery certificate.

My sister-in-law and her girlfriend boarded with us on Apex this Saturday (both were infected in mind-January 2022 and are now recovered), and even though they both had the printed immunity pass from the Danish Covid app, as well as a written medical attestation (completed to comply with all requirements as per Celebrity's website), they were both taken to "secondary checking" and both needed to fumble with their phones in order to show ALL their jab dates (they both have the 3rd booster jab, but they needed to show the dates of the two original jabs, so the check-in staff could be sure that they weren't trying to "replace" the two jabs with the recovery certificate, which is not allowed).

My wife and I, who "just" had the fresh 1-day negative antigen test and our vaccine documentation (printed A4 paper with the unique QR code and other info from the Danish health authorities), could almost literally walk straight onboard after a quick check of our papers.

The medical attestation and certificate of recovery seems to be an obvious secondary choice by Celebrity, and as such not preferred by them to use by guests in any case, over the 1-day negative test.

The EU negative test certificate should be allowed. As mentioned above, they accepted our vaccine documentation printed in the EU format with QR code, and likewise I'd assume they would accept the vaccine dodumentation part as well, but remember to bring a hard copy on paper, as the check-in staff need to take a photo of the documentation, thus you cannot show it from your phone/tablet.

Edited by mikkelhansen
  • Thanks 1