Options for Covid test pre=cruise

Nebr.cruiser

Hi.

We require testing for a cruise out of Honolulu, May 4th.  We are Canadians.

What online/at home kits are available to Canadians? Are there any we can buy here in Canada but use in Hawaii. Or, can we purchase any that are vailable in the U.S to U.S. folks? 

At this point, we are hoping to book a test somewhere in the Waikiki area and are looking at the CVS options but want to have kits with us as a backup. If anyone has suggestions, we'd appreciate it.

Thanks

On 3/20/2022 at 4:32 PM, pattibacon said:

I usually use CVS but May not find rapid test availability so I checked Walgreens. They have the NAAT rapid test. I’ve read somewhere that it IS accepted by Celebrity, correct?  

On 3/22/2022 at 12:01 AM, pattibacon said:

Thanks. I called Celebrity today and they told me it IS accepted. 

I called Celebrity and the representative advised the regular rapid antigen test was acceptable.   

On 3/26/2022 at 2:20 PM, DaKahuna said:

We had our appointments with CVS for this morning cancelled on Wednesday.  We had backup appointments for this afternoon at Walgreens.  Took our test in the drive through at Walgreens and had the results back, both negative, in under an hour.  

Which test did you take at Walgreens?  Rapid NAAT or Rapid Antigen?

On 3/30/2022 at 8:47 AM, phoenix_dream said:

Yes, we were tested there in December.  We made an appointment.  You need to enter FLL as both your departure and arrival destinations.  It was very easy and we got our results within the hour.  It may be busier now, but that was our experience at the time.  Because of the increase in cruisers, I would recommend the appointment in case they get too busy to accept more walk-ins.

That's good information to have in our back pocket.  Thank you! 

We are sailing on Friday but flying down to FLL on Wednesday night.  We will test at Walgreens before we leave but will probably schedule a back up test at a CVS/Walgreens in FLL just in case. 

Due to flying to Tampa way too early for testing...
We did our 2 day test @ Walgreen's & had the results in less than 30 minutes...

We arrived approx. 15 minutes early for our test - no one was in the drive through - so we pulled up to see if we could test early...

Nope - pull over & park until it's time.

In the end, I think we pulled back in about 5 minutes early w/ no problem 🙂

We had the Rapid NAAT Test.

At our testing location - they had the PCR & the Rapid NAAT.

When you create your appointment - it lets you know which tests are available for the site you have chosen & you select your test type @ that time.

Edited by Von & John

For anyone wanting information about the testing at Fort Lauderdale airport, this was my experience yesterday.

Because of the flight details it requests online I thought about going as a walk-up but had read that could mean a long wait so decided to try making an appointment the day before. Which worked fine - I gave my inbound flight details even though it was several days ago and for destination airport I put ‘cruise’ which it accepted. It didn’t ask which test I wanted and it didn’t ask for payment. Confirmation email was sent with a QR code which it was suggested be printed out to make it easier for the nurse to scan.

Location is Terminal 3, lower level, far north end of baggage claim, door 311. I turned up about 20 minutes early but that wasn’t a problem as they weren’t busy. First desk was to say which test and pay. Next desk the QR code was scanned and email address/phone number checked for results. Then into cubicle with nurse for swab test, then leave. Was told result would be in around 15 minutes.

I didn’t like that the nurse didn’t start processing it while I was there. At Heathrow airport they do the first bit before you leave so you at least know it’s going to work, it only takes seconds. I decided to wait at the airport until the result came through so went and sat in the baggage claim area nearby. 15 minutes later I got the result by email. On the certificate it shows test time 0946, result reported at 1001.

Cost for rapid antigen was $59.

Now I’m just waiting for someone in Bermuda to get around to checking it and approving my travel authorisation!

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Von & John said:

Due to flying to Tampa way too early for testing...
We did our 2 day test @ Walgreen's & had the results in less than 30 minutes...

We arrived approx. 15 minutes early for our test - no one was in the drive through - so we pulled up to see if we could test early...

Nope - pull over & park until it's time.

In the end, I think we pulled back in about 5 minutes early w/ no problem 🙂

We had the Rapid NAAT Test.

At our testing location - they had the PCR & the Rapid NAAT.

When you create your appointment - it lets you know which tests are available for the site you have chosen & you select your test type @ that time.

Just FYI to folks, you can also find tests at CVS in the Tampa area.  We did that, with a backup we scheduled at Walgreens just in case, and then canceled 

• Like 1

We are Canadians doing a B2B from Vancouver to Alaska and back leaving June 10th.

It is my understanding that we will need a  rapid antigen test one day before the cruise. We are flying into Vancouver late on the 8th so will need to get a test on 5he 9th. We are staying at the Burrard downtown. Any suggestions as to where we can get this test that would be in walking distance of the hotel.

Edited by Bornbeau

9 hours ago, Bornbeau said:

We are Canadians doing a B2B from Vancouver to Alaska and back leaving June 10th.

It is my understanding that we will need a  rapid antigen test one day before the cruise. We are flying into Vancouver late on the 8th so will need to get a test on 5he 9th. We are staying at the Burrard downtown. Any suggestions as to where we can get this test that would be in walking distance of the hotel.

I read an article months ago about this place opening up, and I bookmarked it:  https://www.empowerclinics.com/covid-19-testing/ - I think that we may use that for our June cruise.   We will have a couple of days in Vancouver pre-cruise.  I look forward to experiences from people cruising earlier in the season.

15 hours ago, rotoal said:

I read an article months ago about this place opening up, and I bookmarked it:  https://www.empowerclinics.com/covid-19-testing/ - I think that we may use that for our June cruise.   We will have a couple of days in Vancouver pre-cruise.  I look forward to experiences from people cruising earlier in the season.

There have been many conflicting reports for time frame of antigen tests for departures from Canadian cruise ports. Some say 2 days and some are 1 day. Anyone know as I need to book my test soon.

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

There have been many conflicting reports for time frame of antigen tests for departures from Canadian cruise ports. Some say 2 days and some are 1 day. Anyone know as I need to book my test soon.

There should be no conflicting reports. This is from Transport Canada:

• Passengers must take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before boarding a cruise ship or take an antigen test within one day of the scheduled departure.

We are cruising out of Vancouver in a few weeks on the Celebrity Eclipse. Walgreens website says the Rapid NAAT is 'free' and acceptable for travel. Is this test free for travel and accepted by Celebrity? If not free, what is the cost? I am pretty certain my insurance will not pay for travel testing.

Can anyone with experience confirm-

-Is the Walgreens Rapid NAAT acceptable with Celebrity?

-If so, would we be okay if we tested on a Thursday morning for a Saturday before noon boarding time? 

Any tips for taking a drive thru test on your own? Have not had to do it myself yet. Thank you-

• Like 1

2 hours ago, floralscent said:

We are cruising out of Vancouver in a few weeks on the Celebrity Eclipse. Walgreens website says the Rapid NAAT is 'free' and acceptable for travel. Is this test free for travel and accepted by Celebrity? If not free, what is the cost? I am pretty certain my insurance will not pay for travel testing.

Can anyone with experience confirm-

-Is the Walgreens Rapid NAAT acceptable with Celebrity?

-If so, would we be okay if we tested on a Thursday morning for a Saturday before noon boarding time? 

Any tips for taking a drive thru test on your own? Have not had to do it myself yet. Thank you-

Yes, it is stated on the Celebrity website that it is accepted.  We plan to do the same thing.  I actually did a drive-up test there several months ago.  Super easy.  They give you the test, tell you what to do, and watch while you self administer it.  I had results in a few hours.  My SIL had his in about 20 minutes.  (Both negative, thank goodness)!

Hi all we fly to NYC for a few days b4 boarding for our cruise on 23rd May on Summit. Been stressing re tests b4 we board as our test to fly will be out of date (4 nights in NYC)  we can’t use tests on Celebrity website as only post to US address. I’ve found CTS Mobile Testing who are around NYC - hoping we can use them as non-US residents. Anyone know/heard of them & OK to use? Thanks 

12 minutes ago, Whitechapelgirl62 said:

Hi all we fly to NYC for a few days b4 boarding for our cruise on 23rd May on Summit. Been stressing re tests b4 we board as our test to fly will be out of date (4 nights in NYC)  we can’t use tests on Celebrity website as only post to US address. I’ve found CTS Mobile Testing who are around NYC - hoping we can use them as non-US residents. Anyone know/heard of them & OK to use? Thanks 

We will be flying to Newark on the 22nd, I am sure many others will be early as well. Could arrange to buy the online tests to pass on to you… Or you could ask someone on the roll call to purchase, then forward to you via your NYC hotel.

23 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

We will be flying to Newark on the 22nd, I am sure many others will be early as well. Could arrange to buy the online tests to pass on to you… Or you could ask someone on the roll call to purchase, then forward to you via your NYC hotel.

Thanks for kind offer not too sure if tests have to be bought in yr name etc. I might come back to you on that. I’ve emailed the test company to see if UK residents can use these  🤞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whitechapelgirl62 said:

Thanks for kind offer not too sure if tests have to be bought in yr name etc. I might come back to you on that. I’ve emailed the test company to see if UK residents can use these  🤞

Tests do not have to be used by the person who bought them.  You do have to register with Navica for each person who will use the tests.  When you take the test you need is an ID like your passport or other form of official ID, for each person, and a test for each person taking the test.  Tests are taking one person at a time (unless you want to run two different computers/ipads/phones). They will check ID, and test validity.  Good luck with whatever you decide. 

• Like 2

On 3/29/2022 at 8:33 PM, fount said:

We are thinking about getting tested at the FLL airport in Terminal 3.  Has anyone been tested there?  They even take walk-ins.

We are flying in on American.  Do you know if American is in terminal 3?  This testing just makes me crazy.

1 hour ago, sophiesmom said:

We are flying in on American.  Do you know if American is in terminal 3?  This testing just makes me crazy.

We flew in on United to Terminal 1, and then walked to Terminal 3.   It was only about 8-10 minutes.  Testing was quite easy!  Best of Luck!

We do a road trip from lax to San Diego, therefore our test result from Germany are not valid anymore.

We need a test to enter Millennium, as we move on all the time no possibility to use a pre sent home test....

Is there a CI based test station at port?

Are there drive through test centers for tourists? May be for free?

I just checked the Celebrity site & it is 2 days prior to departure. Another post this morning said it can NOT be done the day of departure.

If vaccinated, do we need to test again when we come back to the US from Bermuda? Or does that only apply to international travel? If so, it may pay to pay extra test kits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

...If vaccinated, do we need to test again when we come back to the US from Bermuda? Or does that only apply to international travel? ...

No, no need to test on (re)-entry to U.S. Does not apply to cruise ship passengers, just airlines.

If the cruise lines stop requiring full vaccination and testing before boarding, then U.S. and other countries might again require testing prior to entry, but for now we cruisers are treated differently.

Stan

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

Just now, GottaKnowWhen said:

No, no need to test on (re)-entry to U.S. Does not apply to cruise ship passengers, just airlines.

If the cruise lines stop requiring full vaccination, then U.S. and other countries might again require testing prior to entry, but for now we cruisers are treated differently.

Stan

Personally I want the cruise lines to keep the vaccine mandate. I do not want to travel with the unvaxxed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

does the testing need to be done within one or two days prior to departure? Does it matter what time it's done that day?

It depends on where you're going. There's no single answer to your qustion.

The Health Protocol has finally been announced for European sailings

My sailing out of Italy will require an Antigen Test 1 day prior to sailing -  does that mean exactly 24 hrs before sailing or can the test be done anytime the day before the sailing?

I am hoping it is the latter as we are flying in to FCO the night before the cruise