Options for Covid test pre=cruise

Nebr.cruiser

6 hours ago, PKB said:

For those who have purchased the Emed proctored covid tests recently - What is the current expiration date for the most recent purchases?  Is the expiration date still short and the blanket extension still applies?

We ordered a six pack from Emed in April. The set we received had expiration dates in May, 2023.

Tom & Judy

• Thanks 1

On 5/23/2022 at 6:19 AM, VitaminSea53 said:

Has anyone used this service?  They say it can be used with any OTC test.  Does Celebrity accept it?

323487DF-9273-4F26-A56A-77740FFAF21B.png

Did you ever get an answer...or try doing a test proctored by this company yourself?  It looks like an easy solution.  Recently boarded a Princess cruise in Civitavecchia and provided a negative antigen rapid test result from a walk in test center in a shopping mall in Munich taken the day before embarkation.  The print was so small and the "review" of the test result paper by the port rep so fast, there was clearly  no verification of the qualifications of the test center, and it's quite likely the port rep had never seen a report from this test center before.  So I would think if this company provides an official looking test result report, it's hard to imagine a port rep being able to question the bona files of the report.

We're travelling from the UK for a 3 day stay before boarding a cruise, we're staying in Mid Beach Miami (I think that's correct), would welcome any pointers for a local pre boarding test, won't have a car so will be walking or getting a taxi to take the test.

I'm confused about a couple of things. Is Abbott self test kit the only FDA Emergency Use Authorization kit Celebrity will accept? I have a IHealth kit from the US government that was mailed to me that also reads that. Can I use this kit with any Telehealth company that can provide the documentation they need? Seems they want you to use their company that is much more expensive.  They must get a kick back?  If I buy a Abbott test kit from Walmart can I use any Telehealth company? Really unclear on this.  Help.  Thanks!

12 hours ago, ladycaribe said:

I'm confused about a couple of things. Is Abbott self test kit the only FDA Emergency Use Authorization kit Celebrity will accept? I have a IHealth kit from the US government that was mailed to me that also reads that. Can I use this kit with any Telehealth company that can provide the documentation they need? Seems they want you to use their company that is much more expensive.  They must get a kick back?  If I buy a Abbott test kit from Walmart can I use any Telehealth company? Really unclear on this.  Help.  Thanks!

Celebrity doesn't know or care what brand of test kit you used as long as it meets their requirements (antigen, PCR, NAAT, etc) and the negative results are reported by a certified lab/telehealth professional. If you can get a telehealth company to observe your iHealth kit, that's fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ladycaribe said:

Abbott is the brand Celebrity have partnered with, they no doubt get a kickback for every one sold. Not the only option, as my earlier post says, Celebrity also mention the Ellume test kit. These 2 seem to be all Celebrity recognise if you are using Telehealth. Any approved test with a doctor-issued certificate should be fine so long as done in person and not by Telehealth

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ladycaribe said:

Coincidentally came across this site today: https://rapidtestandtrace.com/product/observed-test-for-travel/

It looks like they will proctor your iHealth kits for $20.

They were used by a blogger to board a Royal Caribbean cruise. https://milesforfamily.com/2022/06/08/how-i-used-free-govt-at-home-covid-test-plus-rapid-test-and-trace-for-pre-cruise-covid-clearance/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=how-i-used-free-govt-at-home-covid-test-plus-rapid-test-and-trace-for-pre-cruise-covid-clearance?utm_source=BoardingArea&utm_medium=BoardingArea

Edited by RichYak
spelling error

We are travelling from Australia for an Alaskan Cruise Tour, land content first.  Until the other day there was no requirement for Covid testing prior to the land content, as per their latest email this has now changed.  Contacted Celebrity and they said that test could be unsupervised (we could do our own rapid antigen test) or we may squeeze in the one we have done prior to departing Australia but they could get funny about the time (we are arriving in ALaska 2 days prior to the start of the tour).  The main thing I am having difficulty with is the supervised test pre boarding the ship.  The test kit they advised has to be purchased with a US credit card and sent to a US address (and I'm not sure the hotels will be wanting to keep multiple supplies of test kits they are receiving in the mail).  Looking at the websites of pharmacies that test most are 'drive through' testing.  I'm wondering if there is anyone else travelling from outside the US that has found any options.  I am thinking to do a supervised one with an Australian company online and hope it will be accepted, or if anyone knows any walk in testing facilities in Anchorage which will be 2 days before boarding.  Sorry if this has been all asked before.

Just got NYT article saying that, effective Sunday, 12 June, air travelers entering the US will no longer have to provide proof of a negative covid test.   Good news.  Currently, as has been posted, cruise pax much provide acceptable proof of a negative test.  There are various proctored test kits you can buy, include Binax tests you can order from the Celebrity website.  Also read today that if you have any valid test kits from US govm't (the iHealth kits), you can pay a $ fee ($20?  $25?) to use them with a telehealth proctoring service.  Also good news.

5 hours ago, Trevoli said:

Just got NYT article saying that, effective Sunday, 12 June, air travelers entering the US will no longer have to provide proof of a negative covid test.   Good news.  Currently, as has been posted, cruise pax must provide acceptable proof of a negative test.  ... read today that if you have any valid test kits from US govm't (the iHealth kits), you can pay a $ fee ($20?  $25?) to use them with a telehealth proctoring service.  Also good news.

We will not consider anything to be "good news" except for  the [soon-to-be-announced?] news that all pre-cruise testing requirements have been completely dropped.  We think that they should have been dropped weeks ago, if not months ago.  We will not cruise again until this happens.

We cruised on "X" ships in September, November, and January.  Because of the potential for a "positive" (even a "false positive") finding -- with all the possible ramifications thereof -- we experienced the great stress and expense involved in being tested twice (each month) on the last or second-last day before the embarkation days.  There was even greater stress in being tested aboard the ships on "turn-around days" before the second of back-to-back cruises, because of the possibility of being "sent home."

We will never again expose ourselves to the stress and expense that we experienced.  We believe that it is time for things to return to normal (i.e., the way they were before March, 2020).

23 hours ago, jg51 said:

We will not consider anything to be "good news" except for  the [soon-to-be-announced?] news that all pre-cruise testing requirements have been completely dropped.  We think that they should have been dropped weeks ago, if not months ago.  We will not cruise again until this happens.

We cruised on "X" ships in September, November, and January.  Because of the potential for a "positive" (even a "false positive") finding -- with all the possible ramifications thereof -- we experienced the great stress and expense involved in being tested twice (each month) on the last or second-last day before the embarkation days.  There was even greater stress in being tested aboard the ships on "turn-around days" before the second of back-to-back cruises, because of the possibility of being "sent home."

We will never again expose ourselves to the stress and expense that we experienced.  We believe that it is time for things to return to normal (i.e., the way they were before March, 2020).

I doubt pre cruise testing will go away anytime soon.  Just this year I know of at least 12 people (and probably more, I've lost count) who have contacted Covid in just my extended family.  Thankfully all have had mild to moderate symptoms with no one hospitalized 

On 6/9/2022 at 3:52 AM, Dee2226 said:

We are travelling from Australia for an Alaskan Cruise Tour, land content first.  Until the other day there was no requirement for Covid testing prior to the land content, as per their latest email this has now changed.  Contacted Celebrity and they said that test could be unsupervised (we could do our own rapid antigen test) or we may squeeze in the one we have done prior to departing Australia but they could get funny about the time (we are arriving in ALaska 2 days prior to the start of the tour).  The main thing I am having difficulty with is the supervised test pre boarding the ship.  The test kit they advised has to be purchased with a US credit card and sent to a US address (and I'm not sure the hotels will be wanting to keep multiple supplies of test kits they are receiving in the mail).  Looking at the websites of pharmacies that test most are 'drive through' testing.  I'm wondering if there is anyone else travelling from outside the US that has found any options.  I am thinking to do a supervised one with an Australian company online and hope it will be accepted, or if anyone knows any walk in testing facilities in Anchorage which will be 2 days before boarding.  Sorry if this has been all asked before.

We are traveling from the UK for a cruise from Vancouver. I am going to order the same tests we used to enter the US last year, buy them in UK and take the test in Canada when we get there to meet the time frame.Lots of information in the FAQs. on the web site..

If you search for fit to fly tests to the US you should find similar services.

From the Web site -The last point does not say these are only brands which meet the requirement

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

Telehealth self-tests taken at home under supervision must meet these requirements:

• The test must have Emergency Use Authorization from the U.S. FDA.
  • The self-test process must happen under live supervision on a video call with a telehealth representative.
  • The telehealth provider must issue you a result document that includes all the necessary information.
  • Two tests that meet these parameters are the Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Ag Card Test available through the Abbott Navica app, or the Ellume Covid-19 Test with Video Observation Services.

4 hours ago, Catchum said:

We are traveling from the UK for a cruise from Vancouver. I am going to order the same tests we used to enter the US last year, buy them in UK and take the test in Canada when we get there to meet the time frame.Lots of information in the FAQs. on the web site..

From the Web site -The last point does not say these are only brands which meet the requirement

Telehealth self-tests taken at home under supervision must meet these requirements:

• The self-test process must happen under live supervision on a video call with a telehealth representative.
  • The telehealth provider must issue you a result document that includes all the necessary information.
  • Two tests that meet these parameters are the Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Ag Card Test available through the Abbott Navica app, or the Ellume Covid-19 Test with Video Observation Services.

Whose tests did you use last year 

On 6/12/2022 at 6:45 PM, Catchum said:

Thanks. I am sure we will find something pre cruise as this would be happening more often on the departure ports.  Have also found an Australian company that will do remote supervised RATs.  I am more concerned about the testing pre tour (land first, cruise last)  that was recently introduced as it is unclear.  Also as I have recovered from Covid within the time frame it's just my husband who needs testing as I have all the documentation excluding me from testing.  But even with this they still want to test me before the the tour, even though I have clearnace for the cruise....  Was going to call again and see if there has been any headway in the past few days.

On 12/17/2021 at 5:10 PM, econprofessor said:

Hi,

I have read all the posts, but am still a bit confused.  I am sailing on January 2.  The Walgreens near where I am staying offers both ID Now and BianaxNOW.  Which one do I need to get?

I had a Walgreen's Rapid NAAT Test today.  (Negative result).  I read that is one test accepted by most forms of travel.  It has all the necessary info required from a test, such as: Ordered By; Address; CLIA#; Order ID#; Source; Date Collected and Reported; Test Ordered: (Rapid NAAT); Tested For: SARS Cov-2; Results: NEGATIVE.        I am hoping this type test IS accepted by Celebrity for our transatlantic later.

I'm heading out on a cruise next month. My mom works at a hospital with an on-site, walk-in lab. All we had to do was call our doctors and ask for a COVID test for travel. They faxed all the orders directly to the lab and the orders are currently waiting there. The lab knows we're coming, they just told us to come the day before we leave (we're heading to the port a day ahead of time). They're doing the whole family at once. It's a Rapid NAAT, and when they did one for us for our Aprip cruise, we had our results in less than a half hour.

On 6/14/2022 at 3:06 PM, Dee2226 said:

Thanks. I am sure we will find something pre cruise as this would be happening more often on the departure ports.  Have also found an Australian company that will do remote supervised RATs.

We are booked to sail out of Sydney in early December. Would love to know the Australian company that will do remote supervised RAT's, as I have not yet found one.

For anyone interested, we are doing a cruise out of Copenhagen and we will apparently need a negative test before boarding.  I think the tests are free (could be wrong), but I also think you need to register in advance.

Here's a link to do so.  You will create an account and then confirm it.  There is a link to show you where the testing locations are.  The final result will apparently be sent to your account where you can use that as your proof of a negative covid test.

Here's the link:
https://sts.covidresults.dk