Drink package: buy now or wait till we board?

Cruzmama

13 minutes ago, Cruzmama said:

If I buy the drink package now at $371 before boarding, will the cost be the same if I wait til we get on the ship?  I’ll wait if it might be cheaper. 

It will be more expensive when you get on board, I believe.  It has a slight discount if you pre-purchase it.

It’s best bought before you board.

• Thanks 1

Here's what the HAL web site says about the Signature Drink package for our upcoming 14-day cruise:

"Prices are per day at $44.95 if pre-booked online compared to $54.95 if purchased on board."

The 18% gratuity is added, regardless of where or when you buy, as it is when you buy individual drinks at the bar.

2 minutes ago, IPB4IGO said:

Here's what the HAL web site says about the Signature Drink package for our upcoming 14-day cruise:

"Prices are per day at $44.95 if pre-booked online compared to $54.95 if purchased on board."

The 18% gratuity is added, regardless of where or when you buy, as it is when you buy individual drinks at the bar.

Are you saying that the price of $44.95 per day does NOT include the tips  & that HAL will add another 18 %  ?

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

Are you saying that the price of $44.95 per day does NOT include the tips  & that HAL will add another 18 %  ?

Yes, whatever drink package you buy will have an 18% "crew incentive" (tip) fee added whether purchased pre-cruise or during cruise.

About the only way to avoid the 18% surcharge is by getting the drink package included as part of a bundled package such as "Have It All".  Those packages are not subject to the 18% surcharge (assumption is the fee is already included in the package price).

I cannot make the math work for the drink package on any cruise line - unless complimentary detox at the end of the cruise was to be included.  I can, however, justify bottle service to my cabin when a cruise line offers it - such as HAL.  I can still have a wee dram or two in the evening and not feel that I'm leaving some paid-for drinks on the table, so to speak.

My most recent experience with bottle service to the cabin was Princess and it worked very well for me.

I'll do the same on my next HAL cruise too.

On 11/14/2021 at 9:54 AM, AFNavigator said:

Yes, whatever drink package you buy will have an 18% "crew incentive" (tip) fee added whether purchased pre-cruise or during cruise.

About the only way to avoid the 18% surcharge is by getting the drink package included as part of a bundled package such as "Have It All".  Those packages are not subject to the 18% surcharge (assumption is the fee is already included in the package price).

So they are then charging $53.04 for a drunk package  with no drink over $11  including that 18 % gratuity

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

So they are then charging $53.04 for a drunk package  with no drink over $11  including that 18 % gratuity

Just ignore the 18% gratuity when you are pricing drinks that work in your drink package.

39 minutes ago, OVgirl said:

Just ignore the 18% gratuity when you are pricing drinks that work in your drink package.

We are not big alcohol  drinkers .A glass of wine at dinner is sufficient  .We doubt that soft drinks during the day would make up the difference ;thus ,we be best to order by the glass .I think that the Princess perks package is better because it includes the staff gratuities & wifi ,along with the top drink package