Stay, Park while Cruising, Manhattan Port

kpark895

Looking for recommendations for a hotel, probably in NJ, to park at for the duration of my 7 night cruise from the Manhattan cruise port in March.  Will be staying at the hotel Saturday night, and returning the following Sunday.  Not too worried about a shuttle service, as we could always grab an UBER to the port.  On Trinity Reservations there is only one option right now, and it includes a shuttle to port.

1 hour ago, kpark895 said:

Looking for recommendations for a hotel, probably in NJ, to park at for the duration of my 7 night cruise from the Manhattan cruise port in March.  Will be staying at the hotel Saturday night, and returning the following Sunday.  Not too worried about a shuttle service, as we could always grab an UBER to the port.  On Trinity Reservations there is only one option right now, and it includes a shuttle to port.

In addition to the hotels mentioned by @meadowlandercheck trinityreservations.com to see what packages they may be offering.

7 hours ago, kpark895 said:

One option (coming from New Hampshire) might be to stay in Stamford, CT (probably a much easier drive from New Hampshire) the nights before and after, using Metronorth into/from the city (about 45 minutes).

10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

One option (coming from New Hampshire) might be to stay in Stamford, CT (probably a much easier drive from New Hampshire) the nights before and after, using Metronorth into/from the city (about 45 minutes).

Thanks for the idea.  We are actually spending one night in Connecticut prior to driving into the NY/NJ area.  One thing I was trying to avoid was lugging suitcases around on public transportation (like trains).  With the time of year being cold here up north, but heading toward warmer climates, a variety of clothes will be needed, so we will each probably have two suitcases plus a smaller tote bag.  I am not familiar with Metronorth, but I assume it ends at either Penn Station or Grand Central, and from there we would then need to haul the suitcases up to ground level and make our way to the port.

I'm also looking for what to do after driving down from MA, where to stay, park, etc.  Hadn't thought of the option of staying in Ct & a shorter drive in the morning.  Still the expense at the pier so gives me some options to think about.

5 hours ago, njhorseman said:

But more expensive, and I think that's what the poster's saying. 

Yes, exactly what I'm saying. It would be a wash if it was perhaps spring, summer or fall since we could forego the Saturday hotel room, but since we're going to be driving in New England/New York in March, we still want to get to the NY/NJ area a day early.  So, on top of perhaps the cost of port parking, we would still have the hotel charge.  And even if we stayed in Ct., we'd still want to arrive in that state Saturday for a Sunday cruise.  I believe, if I'm not mistaken, the Trinity Reservations option is below $400 for the one night, the parking and the shuttle.  Was just hoping to find something a little less expensive.

We just park at the port.  The convenience of not having to rely on a shuttle to get us to the ship, but more importantly, waiting for it to take us in the opposite direction to home is worth the extra cost.  Especially if you already have a hotel for the night before (a great plan in winter).  Getting off the ship and being in our car in 10 minutes is a huge step towards getting home quickly without worry about anything else.

• Like 1

We live 10 miles west of Manhattan and park at the pier. It can also take us an hour to get to the city because of traffic. I can’t imagine the hassle of taking transportation from the pier to NJ and then have to go north. Right now google maps has the trip back to NJ at 45 minutes.

9 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

We live 10 miles west of Manhattan and park at the pier. It can also take us an hour to get to the city because of traffic. I can’t imagine the hassle of taking transportation from the pier to NJ and then have to go north. Right now google maps has the trip back to NJ at 45 minutes.

Right - getting off the ship in Manhattan and then getting yourself to New Jersey so you can go back across the Hudson to drive up to New Hampshire is nuts -- akin to driving from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh by way of Washington DC. Either park at the pier or in Connecticut.

Sorry, I value my time at a higher rate so to me it makes no sense to drive from New England to New Jersey, take a shuttle of some variety to the pier, and then back to save a few bucks. Especially since all one has to do is take a left when leaving the port and be right on the highway.

14 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Sorry, I value my time at a higher rate so to me it makes no sense to drive from New England to New Jersey, take a shuttle of some variety to the pier, and then back to save a few bucks. Especially since all one has to do is take a left when leaving the port and be right on the highway.

Right - particularly when all that effort might not save any money.

1 hour ago, kpark895 said:

I think you've all talked us into parking at the pier.  If we stay in Connecticut Saturday night, prior to the cruise, any suggestions on which town or hotel?

La Quinta, Stamford,  right at Exit 6 on I-95 is very convenient, about $90.  The Stamford Diner is on premises - good menu, fair prices.  About 1 hour drive to the port. 

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

La Quinta, Stamford,  right at Exit 6 on I-95 is very convenient, about $90.  The Stamford Diner is on premises - good menu, fair prices.  About 1 hour drive to the port. 

Great!  And the port is right off of I-95?

3 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

No, you will be taking some different highways, the last one is the Henry Hudson, from there you will enter the parking lot on your right.

So which highway is 1025cruise talking about in their post:  "Sorry, I value my time at a higher rate so to me it makes no sense to drive from New England to New Jersey, take a shuttle of some variety to the pier, and then back to save a few bucks. Especially since all one has to do is take a left when leaving the port and be right on the highway."