Why do so many people think that a thread on these boards can change the rules on the ship?

MrMarc

Just now, MrMarc said:

Actually, as I understand the rules, you can share the internet package with as many people or devices as you want.  However it will allow only 1 device at a time to be logged in, so it's actually impossible for 2 people to use the same account at the same time.

That is not true for a two device Voom package.

3 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

You actually are breaking the rules by sharing your drink, regardless whether it would go to waste.  Now if they also have the drink package, the sharing may be overlooked. 

You’re right, I would be breaking the rules by giving it to him instead of pouring it out. I wouldn’t encourage that, now that I know. 

Though, if Someone leaves an unwanted on a table and another customer chooses to pick it up and start drinking from that, I can’t really do anything about that. 

3 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

Yes!!! But does each device get its own unique username and PIN or does the system just monitor for amount of devices using a SINGLE u/n + PIN?

Single username and pin. It monitors number of devices. If you try to log into a 3rd it will boot the device that has been on longest to make room.

• Like 1

LOL. I am getting conflicting info. Some people are saying the pre-paid daily internet (Voom, Via cruise planner) is a unique login…and others say it’s a single login shared with the maximum devices allowed. Maybe it differs depending on what ship you’re on?

Ah well… I guess I will probably just hope for Black Friday deals and pay for my own if there’s no for-sure answer. All this to save $50 or so…sigh. Solo cruising is hard 

Just now, MrMarc said:

No, you would have 2 accounts, or be able to log in with 2 devices.  Voom is per device, not per person.

It’s one login, which can be used on two devices at the same time - you don’t get two accounts or logins. 

7 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Actually, as I understand the rules, you can share the internet package with as many people or devices as you want.  However it will allow only 1 device at a time to be logged in, so it's actually impossible for 2 people to use the same account at the same time.

1 minute ago, MrMarc said:

No, you would have 2 accounts, or be able to log in with 2 devices.  Voom is per device, not per person.

You have one account when you buy a two device package and it monitors how many devices are logged in at a time, so you do have two devices logged into one account.  A third device logging in would bump off one of the devices that is already logged in.

2 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

LOL. I am getting conflicting info. Some people are saying the pre-paid daily internet (Voom, Via cruise planner) is a unique login…and others say it’s a single login shared with the maximum devices allowed. Maybe it differs depending on what ship you’re on?

Ah well… I guess I will probably just hope for Black Friday deals and pay for my own if there’s no for-sure answer. All this to save $50 or so…sigh. Solo cruising is hard 

MrMarc is incorrect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

You’re right, I would be breaking the rules by giving it to him instead of pouring it out. I wouldn’t encourage that, now that I know. 

Though, if Someone leaves an unwanted on a table and another customer chooses to pick it up and start drinking from that, I can’t really do anything about that. 

actually, that is an interesting point.  How about letting someone taste your drink.  Even as a rule follower, I absolutely think that is ok.  As for finishing a drink instead of pouring it out, I think that is where common sense and intent come in.  If you are having someone finish the second half of every drink you order, I think it is a problem.  In other words, if you are using that as a way to "bend" the rule, I would argue you are breaking it.    As I say, people know what they are doing.  Just own up to it instead of trying to make it ok.

Why does it matter whether it's a single or unique login?  If the two of you agree to each use one device at a time (maximum two total at a time), there should be no problem.  If one has another device, just logout before connecting a new device.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

MrMarc is incorrect.

Not the first or last time I will be.  I travel alone, so I have never had a multiple device package.  I was trying to indicate I wasn't sure which it was, but I apologize if I wasn't clear enough.  My main point was that it is specifically sold per device, not per person.  So I believe it doesn't matter who owns the device.image.thumb.png.f580effa47586fb5c7b23a138aacd48b.png

Edited by MrMarc

Reminds of the story of the little boy who prayed every day for a new bike.  Everyday no new bike.  So one day he stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.  Just sayin...the thread kind of got hijacked....

Edited by fenton04
spell
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Why does it matter whether it's a single or unique login?  If the two of you agree to each use one device at a time (maximum two total at a time), there should be no problem.  If one has another device, just logout before connecting a new device.

Coz he’s loaning me a phone and tablet consecutively lol, plus he will be using his main phone 🙂

Edited by marktwothousand

14 minutes ago, fenton04 said:

Reminds of the story of the little boy who prayed every day for a new bike.  Everyday no new bike.  So one day he stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.  Just sayin...the thread kind of got hijacked....

I have never heard that, but that is a perfect example.  I guess it all depends on what moral a person gets from that story,

2 hours ago, MrMarc said:

Cruise Critics opinions do not grant you absolution. 

Ah, that is where you are wrong. I’ll have to check my C&A guide, but I believe being able to absolve minor cruise sins is one of the few benefits of being Emerald. So to those who genuinely seek it, let your conscious be clear; go and sin no more. 

• Haha 2

Coz he’s loaning me a phone and tablet consecutively lol, plus he will be using his main phone 🙂

Now I understand your earlier post. 

Your friend is lending you his second-hand electronics and you wanted to repay your friend's generosity by letting him have your second-hand drink? 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

I was just on the Ovation last month B2B. I pre-purchased Surf and Stream for $14.59 a day for both legs. When I got on the ship, I had to pick a login name and 4 digit code. When I was out and about, I usually had my phone, but when I came back to cabin, I would switch to Ipad. It would tell me in between switching, that I was logged onto another device, and do I want to switch? At least on my ship, it didn’t auto log me off, it asked first. I just got the one device as a solo traveler, but I could use multiple devices, but only logged into one at a time.

And getting back on track to original post…OP, I honestly think some posters just come on here to stir the pot. Maybe they need attention, but I sure as heck would never come on a message board to post about breaking the rules, or even ask about it. I’ve learned to ignore a lot of threads, and add to my ignore list. 😉

Edited by crzndeb

6 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

Actually, is it possible to share a 2 device package with someone in another room? If so, would would that actually work in terms of logging in?

someone I know is travelling with me, and I would like to be his “second device”. It’s not breaking the rules because I can give him ownership of my device while we cruise, and therefore he’s just letting me use it. But how does it ACTUALLY work? Will it be seamless and will what I do on the device I’m using affect his device and usage?

2 device package:  You will have one set of credentials and can connect 42 devices if you want but not at the same time.  Only 2 can be connected at any given time.  So not problem sharing on the other device, whatever it is or whoever owns it.

On 11/16/2021 at 7:33 PM, Heymarco said:

Mr Marc, you have been going on and on about the rules for about a week now. As I have said before, the best way to enjoy a cruise is to STOP worrying about what everyone else is doing! In other words….

image.jpeg.c02072a39f630510cf0a45ca0e0fb01e.jpeg

I'll let it go when people stop thinking the rules don't apply to them.  I'm not expecting that any time soon.  But I have to compliment your use of that, 1 point to you.

On 11/16/2021 at 2:16 PM, MrMarc said:

Well, unless you use a travel router...then you can have many using a single login (in the same shared space obviously and all connected to the router's wifi).

This of course is a grey-area as "technically" one device is connected physically...and not expressly prohibited. Just "grey"...

Edited by JMKreno

10 minutes ago, JMKreno said:

Well, unless you use a travel router...then you can have many using a single login (in the same shared space obviously and all connected to the router's wifi).

This of course is a grey-area as "technically" one device is connected physically...and not expressly prohibited. Just "grey"...

From what I have heard, their system can detect the router and block it.  I think that also applies to phones as hot spots.  Since the device has to identify itself to the network, the network just says no.