Why do so many people think that a thread on these boards can change the rules on the ship?

MrMarc

I see so many topics, not just limited to RCCL, in which people are basically asking if it is ok to break rules onboard the ship.  In the past it has been more about sharing unlimited packages or sneaking someone into an area or event they are not qualified for.  Now it is more related to not wearing masks, answering health surveys truthfully or reporting symptoms onboard.  The rules are what they are, regardless of opinions expressed on the internet.  You can choose to follow the rules or not, Cruise Critics opinions do not grant you absolution.  It is wrong to break a rule, even if a lot of people do it.  No one here can stop anyone, but at least own it.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

I see so many topics, not just limited to RCCL, in which people are basically asking if it is ok to break rules onboard the ship.  In the past it has been more about sharing unlimited packages or sneaking someone into an area or event they are not qualified for.  Now it is more related to not wearing masks, answering health surveys truthfully or reporting symptoms onboard.  The rules are what they are, regardless of opinions expressed on the internet.  You can choose to follow the rules or not, Cruise Critics opinions do not grant you absolution.  It is wrong to break a rule, even if a lot of people do it.  No one here can stop anyone, but at least own it.

I’m probably the only person willing to say this - Thanks Dad.

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

2 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

I enjoy them as it makes for some interesting reading and cheap entertainment. Opinions and experiences, positive or negative. If a post is of no interest, move on. 

• Like 4

This whole thing has shown peoples true colors. It is harder and harder to find a moral compass these days. I deal with the public and the lack of empathy, sympathy, practical knowledge(common sense) and manners are astounding. 

I got off the allure on the 7th, had a lady call us covid b*tches because my party of 5 wouldn't allow her party of 4 in the elevator. She then said it could be 10ppl even though all the signs said 6 or your party. As we closed the doors, she complained about people following the rules. Similar situation of people saying they aren't going to washy, washy in the Windjammer because too much of that everywhere.

• Like 16

37 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

It's ok.  I understand what you mean.  But why do so many people need one?

I'm a rule follower, and do what I can to help change rules I don't believe in.

Discussions like this are certain to garner some interesting responses.  Enjoy a little extracurricular reading (or skip them) or you're bound to get yourself all worked up on topics such as these.

• Like 4

As for changing rules, it has been mentioned by numerous staff members over the years that Cruise Critic discussions have apparently changed procedures on the ships.

Health items will not change because of Cruise Critic discussions.

*If you want to know about rum runners, i can tell you where to find out all you want to know.

• Like 1

Actually, is it possible to share a 2 device package with someone in another room? If so, would would that actually work in terms of logging in?

someone I know is travelling with me, and I would like to be his “second device”. It’s not breaking the rules because I can give him ownership of my device while we cruise, and therefore he’s just letting me use it. But how does it ACTUALLY work? Will it be seamless and will what I do on the device I’m using affect his device and usage?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

someone I know is travelling with me, and I would like to be his “second device”. It’s not breaking the rules because I can give him ownership of my device while we cruise, and therefore he’s just letting me use it. But how does it ACTUALLY work? Will it be seamless and will what I do on the device I’m using affect his device and usage?

So you break the rules of this thread, by asking a question that doesn't break the rules.  😁 

Whoever buys the 2-device package will get logon info.  You simply use that info to connect your device "that's not really your device for the week".

1 minute ago, Another_Critic said:

So you break the rules of this thread, by asking a question that doesn't break the rules.  😁 

Whoever buys the 2-device package will get logon info.  You simply use that info to connect your device "that's not really your device for the week".

Thanks so much!!! What does the log on info consist of if I may ask? Is it the same info x2, or does each device get unique credentials?

I wouldn’t call it breaking the rules, it’s just me using his tablet…It’s basically the same thing as… if I get a drink on my beverage package but I don’t like it, I can pour it into his cup instead of throwing it out. This way it doesn’t go to waste. 

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

Well it is much easier to know how to break the rules before the cruise rather than figure it out on the cruise. Always best to be prepared!

I think most people would prefer to use the term "bending" the rules. 😉

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

I think most people would prefer to use the term "bending" the rules. 😉

They use that term to try and make themselves feel better.  The rules I am talking about are clear, and people are clearly violating them.  It's very strange to me to see people asking permission and/or bragging about doing it.  And when people like me point that out, we are usually attacked for it.  For example, giving your child your soda cup when you purchase the DBP is stealing from RCCL.  You are taking something that you should pay for and not paying for it.  There is no other way to interpret it.  The same thing is happening with mask rules.  On RCCL they are required in certain areas, and that applies to everyone, no matter what you think about their need or effectiveness.  Yet, time after time their are threads asking if it's ok to break the rules.  There are places that ban such threads, but not here.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

Thanks so much!!! What does the log on info consist of if I may ask? Is it the same info x2, or does each device get unique credentials?

I wouldn’t call it breaking the rules, it’s just me using his tablet…It’s basically the same thing as… if I get a drink on my beverage package but I don’t like it, I can pour it into his cup instead of throwing it out. This way it doesn’t go to waste. 

I personally do not know the detail of the credentials.   And I didn't say you were breaking the rules sharing a device package.

You actually are breaking the rules by sharing your drink, regardless whether it would go to waste.  Now if they also have the drink package, the sharing may be overlooked. 

Just now, Keksie said:

I think those places are called China, Russia or Venezuela.  

I hope you are kidding.  These are privately run boards.  They can restrict what you or anyone else says all day long, and in fact do.  The right only applies to The Government banning speech.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

username and a 4 digit pin. Just make it something that you can share as opposed to something you'd use elsewhere like an ATM pin. 

Just now, rbschultz said:

username and a 4 digit pin. Just make it something that you can share as opposed to something you'd use elsewhere like an ATM pin. 

Yes!!! But does each device get its own unique username and PIN or does the system just monitor for amount of devices using a SINGLE u/n + PIN?

36 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

Actually, is it possible to share a 2 device package with someone in another room? If so, would would that actually work in terms of logging in?

Actually, as I understand the rules, you can share the internet package with as many people or devices as you want.  However it will allow only 1 device at a time to be logged in, so it's actually impossible for 2 people to use the same account at the same time.

Just now, marktwothousand said:

Yes!!! But does each device get its own unique username and PIN or does the system just monitor for amount of devices using a SINGLE u/n + PIN?

You get an account for each package you purchase.