Question re: Carnival Long beach and LGB airport (Morning flight)

pks3

Hello,

I am on the Radiance for a short cruise late Dec, and the itinerary shows that it returns to Long Beach port at 7 am.  The Long Beach airport is about 15 minutes away from there, I was told add 10 min max for traffic, if there's any.   I was also told by another friend that often these cruise ships return to port earlier than the scheduled time, and usually its possible to disembark even before that posted time, but you can safely assume that you can disembark at or close to the time posted on the itinerary - provided you are ready to go, and hold on to your bags.  Obviously, if the weather doesn't allow the boat to dock etc that's not controllable.  

Encouraged by this, I have booked an outbound flight at 9.30 am from Long Beach airport, but I just wanted to check with folks here who may be more familiar with this particular port and itinerary if this is too risky? 

I posted in tripadvisor and was told that this particular airport hardly ever has any sort od security check delays etc - its not a busy airport and it should be OK for the most part...

27 minutes ago, pks3 said:

Hello,

I am on the Radiance for a short cruise late Dec, and the itinerary shows that it returns to Long Beach port at 7 am.  The Long Beach airport is about 15 minutes away from there, I was told add 10 min max for traffic, if there's any.   I was also told by another friend that often these cruise ships return to port earlier than the scheduled time, and usually its possible to disembark even before that posted time, but you can safely assume that you can disembark at or close to the time posted on the itinerary - provided you are ready to go, and hold on to your bags.  Obviously, if the weather doesn't allow the boat to dock etc that's not controllable.  

Encouraged by this, I have booked an outbound flight at 9.30 am from Long Beach airport, but I just wanted to check with folks here who may be more familiar with this particular port and itinerary if this is too risky? 

I posted in tripadvisor and was told that this particular airport hardly ever has any sort od security check delays etc - its not a busy airport and it should be OK for the most part...

Even though the ship arrives on time its no guarantee what time customs will begin. saying that I would not take the chance unless you have a rock solid backup plan.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, skrufy said:

Even though the ship arrives on time its no guarantee what time customs will begin. saying that I would not take the chance unless you have a rock solid backup plan.

not rock solid, but Southwest doesn't do change fees in this scenario, it would cost me a lot more since later flights are a lot more, and it would be 5 of us.  

My recent experience in Miami with customs was a breeze, maybe I'm being optimistic.  I guess its a bit of a gamble.  Let's see how it goes.

The flight is to Phoenix, and my other alternative was to just rent a car and drive there.  That was costing me more than the flights, and then add to that the extra hours of driving with a 6 yr old and senior citizens, extra tiredness before the next 4 day part to of our trip.  

4 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

No way. I did platinum debarkation from Panorama on 10/30. We docked at 8 and started debarkation at 9. I was outside at 9:12. I got in my lyft at 9:40.

Ouch. That does not bode well for me at all.

6 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

No way. I did platinum debarkation from Panorama on 10/30. We docked at 8 and started debarkation at 9. I was outside at 9:12. I got in my lyft at 9:40.

I just checked on that itinerary - it was scheduled to arrive at Long Beach at 9 am to begin with.  If I can match your timings, I think it will be fine.  If I'm in a cab by 7.45 am or even closer to 8 am, I think I can make it.  Doesn't leave much room for further snafus however, that's for sure.  

I guess its more than a bit of an optimistic gamble.  My wife is already grumbling about having to get up early and have a deadline in the morning - but given our travel plans - it would save us a lot of time and exertion compared to driving 10+ hours etc.  

I'm going to rolll with it and hope for the best.  Worst case scenario there are later flights by Southwest that I can switch to, without any change fees, just fare difference, and I'll pay the price if it comes to that I guess.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pks3 said:

I just checked on that itinerary - it was scheduled to arrive at Long Beach at 9 am to begin with.  If I can match your timings, I think it will be fine.  If I'm in a cab by 7.45 am or even closer to 8 am, I think I can make it.  Doesn't leave much room for further snafus however, that's for sure.  

I guess its more than a bit of an optimistic gamble.  My wife is already grumbling about having to get up early and have a deadline in the morning - but given our travel plans - it would save us a lot of time and exertion compared to driving 10+ hours etc.  

I'm going to rolll with it and hope for the best.  Worst case scenario there are later flights by Southwest that I can switch to, without any change fees, just fare difference, and I'll pay the price if it comes to that I guess.  

Hope you make it!

• Like 1

Our Ship didn't dock till 9.

I would not do this!  We waited 40 minutes at the port for a cab.  Got to the airport at 11, then it took 45 minutes to go thru security.  They had 3 people working and 1 left to take a break.

I had a 1pm flight and didn't think I was going to make it.  Not very enjoyable. 

Edited by BossyKat

1 minute ago, BossyKat said:

Our Ship didn't dock till 9.

I would not do this!  We waited 40 minutes at the port for a cab.  Got to the airport at 11, then it took 45 minutes to go thru security.  They had 3 people working and 1 left to take a break.

I had a 1pm flight and didn't think I was going to make it.  Not very enjoyable. 

That is scary!  I guess I just extrapolated from my recent experience with Royal Caribbean at Miami - we were scheduled to dock at 7, ship arrived at 5 - we could have left at 6 if we wanted.  Once we left our cabin, it took us 10 minutes to get off the ship, and 5, maybe 7 minutes to walk out of the Cruise terminal and into a cab.  

We have risked early flights out of many ports and never had a problem.  After reading all of the late departures on Panorama we switched to flight out of Long Beach to after noon and I’m glad we did. We would not have made our 10:30 flight.  But as you said, our scheduled time was 9am.  If you are in by 7am and they begin right on time you should have no problems.  Just keep an eye on other cruises on same ship before yours and see what the experience is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pks3 said:

driving with a 6 yr old and senior citizens, extra tiredness before the next 4 day part to of our trip.  

Since you're willing to rebook the flight if you miss it, I say give it the old college try because you have nothing to lose.  Is your party able to self carry off?  If yes, be sure someone lines up in the self carry line early, the rest of the party can join them in line later.  If not, speak to CCL and ask to the join the priority group.

How many are you traveling with?  (Edit, I see in another post you say 5) 

LGB usually isn't very congested, vehicle traffic, ticketing and security are all fairly quick.

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

My understanding is that Panorama arrives later than normal due to propulsion 'issue'. Radiance arrives much earlier. I'd do the flight, LBG is super close and a small airport. Walk in, check in, and boom, there's the plane! Not like LAX!

22 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

My understanding is that Panorama arrives later than normal due to propulsion 'issue'. Radiance arrives much earlier. I'd do the flight, LBG is super close and a small airport. Walk in, check in, and boom, there's the plane! Not like LAX!

There is nothing wrong with the ship. Just off in the 20Th.  

2 hours ago, pks3 said:

Hello,

If you are in a cab by 730, its not a problem. That's all based on tour arrival time in port. The airport is very easy, on 12 gates.it depends when they left you off. Did you call carnival and ask?

• Like 1

You've got a big group pk and a very tight timeline.  You will see folks on CC that say you should fly out early in the evening because the cab might get a flat tire (I exaggerate for emphasis) but you're on the other edge with the plan you have.  Sincere best wishes! I hope you make it.

• Like 1

After a nice week long cruise the last thing I would want to do is get stressed out worrying if I'm going to make an early flight.   With as many staff shortages and flight interruptions as there have been lately I wouldn't be absolutely sure of being able to get a later flight out either.

Do ya feel lucky?   🙂

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for taking the time in providing input & guidance.  

I will definitely call Carnival and let them know ahead of time that I have a flight at 9:30 to catch (maybe I'll tell them its 9 😉.

And request if I can be in the 'priority group' for disembarking, whatever that is.  

If there's a 'propulsion' issue or weather issue, I'm definitely going to be unlikely to catch the 930 - but given that this ship was given a major makeover, and should have a few short cruises done already before my trip, I guess I may have a half-decent shot at making this work.  

I'll see how it goes, and once its all done with, I'll come back and post an update!

18 minutes ago, pks3 said:

Thanks to everyone for taking the time in providing input & guidance.  

I will definitely call Carnival and let them know ahead of time that I have a flight at 9:30 to catch (maybe I'll tell them its 9 😉.

And request if I can be in the 'priority group' for disembarking, whatever that is.  

If there's a 'propulsion' issue or weather issue, I'm definitely going to be unlikely to catch the 930 - but given that this ship was given a major makeover, and should have a few short cruises done already before my trip, I guess I may have a half-decent shot at making this work.  

I'll see how it goes, and once its all done with, I'll come back and post an update!

There is no propulsion issue...I just got off a few days ago

3 hours ago, pks3 said:

Good luck. We fly SW all the time. I’m  always switching flights right up to day of flight. Have an awful flight out of LB hoping for a price drop.

Edited by skrufy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheSeagoer said:

There is nothing wrong with the ship. Just off in the 20Th.  

I was on her Oct 23. They did the itinerary change, supposedly due to propulsion issue. When we asked workers on the ship about it, none of them heard of it. Some are saying that CCL is just saying that. Some say it's going slower due to the whales. That's why it arrives later than normal.

1 hour ago, klfhngr said:

I was on her Oct 23. They did the itinerary change, supposedly due to propulsion issue. When we asked workers on the ship about it, none of them heard of it. Some are saying that CCL is just saying that. Some say it's going slower due to the whales. That's why it arrives later than normal.

We were on time at every port. We even had to go back to Cabo for a medical issue, amd them start again.. Whales come later.