Cancelled Cruise Q134Q 27th Nov to Bruges and Rotterdam

Highseaslife

Good Evening

Just eating breakfast this morning at our Southampton hotel when received a text from Cunard cancelling our 4 day mini cruise. Disappointing but understandable with Storm Arwen sweeping through. Back home now but keep thinking I should be on ship eating dinner!

5 minutes ago, Highseaslife said:

Good Evening

Just eating breakfast this morning at our Southampton hotel when received a text from Cunard cancelling our 4 day mini cruise. Disappointing but understandable with Storm Arwen sweeping through. Back home now but keep thinking I should be on ship eating dinner!

Commiserations, but admiration for your philosophical attitude.

Bit new to this, but we should also have been on this cruise. Does anyone know if we have to do anything about the PLFs ? I can't find anything on the Gov website and when I rang the helpline I was told we didn't have to do anything. However, I didn't  have much faith in the chap I spoke to. Have also just received a couple of texts this morning, one of them in Belgium.

1 hour ago, Just off to Tesco said:

Bit new to this, but we should also have been on this cruise. Does anyone know if we have to do anything about the PLFs ? I can't find anything on the Gov website and when I rang the helpline I was told we didn't have to do anything. However, I didn't  have much faith in the chap I spoke to. Have also just received a couple of texts this morning, one of them in Belgium.

If your cruise has been cancelled then there is no need for a PLF because you havent travelled. If it had gone ahead it should have been completed prior to boarding so that you have the code needed from the company that supplies PCR/LFT test for when you should have returned. 

20 minutes ago, Just off to Tesco said:

Sorry, but I probably wasn't too clear, we had already completed the UK and Belgium PLFs. 

Does not matter just forget them. 

If you purchased any Covid Tests that were 'required' then I would ask Cunard to pay these out of pocket expenses, plus any other losses (non-refundable hotel, transport etc) or you may find that your Travel Ins may cover these costs.

9 hours ago, rog747 said:

If you purchased any Covid Tests that were 'required' then I would ask Cunard to pay these out of pocket expenses, plus any other losses (non-refundable hotel, transport etc) or you may find that your Travel Ins may cover these costs.

9 hours ago, rog747 said:

Cunard will not pay these expenses. They tell you to claim on your travel insurance.

Does anyone know how long it takes Cunard to refund monies. They cancelled our cruise on 27th November and we are still waiting. Interesting that we have received back the money on excursions we had booked (although not the full amount - I assume we lost out on exchange rates). Gave up on ringing after being on hold for over half an hour. Called our travel agent, and they answered straight away and promised to chase for us. Not encouraged to use Cunard again if this is how they treat customers.

Some, I know, have waited months. We got our deposit back within a few days, and waited several months for the rest. This was the wrong amount, slightly too much, which I duly queried, but they insisted it was right. 😀 So you may have a while to wait yet, despite the legal requirement to reimburse within a fortnight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Just off to Tesco said:

Does anyone know how long it takes Cunard to refund monies. They cancelled our cruise on 27th November and we are still waiting. Interesting that we have received back the money on excursions we had booked (although not the full amount - I assume we lost out on exchange rates). Gave up on ringing after being on hold for over half an hour. Called our travel agent and they answered straight away and promised to chase for us. Not encouraged to use Cunard again if this is how they treat customers.

Come on now ! let's be sensible , we are all experiencing extraordinary times and many of us are in the same boat awaiting refunds from a cancelled QE cruise the other week.

Your cruise was cancelled on the 27th November ( which incidentally was over a weekend) 

So let's be be fair, it's only 'Eight Days' ? ( from todays post).  A bit harsh to comment on Cunard, as if they are deliberately keeping us waiting .  

Rest assured your/our monies are safe , I'm still waiting (seven weeks weeks) for a refund from my travel insurance company from a cruise I was unable to take two months ago.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Just off to Tesco said:

Does anyone know how long it takes Cunard to refund monies. They cancelled our cruise on 27th November and we are still waiting. Interesting that we have received back the money on excursions we had booked (although not the full amount - I assume we lost out on exchange rates). Gave up on ringing after being on hold for over half an hour. Called our travel agent, and they answered straight away and promised to chase for us. Not encouraged to use Cunard again if this is how they treat customers.

Your booking was through a TA, but one deliberately called Cunard to chase up a refund, possibly knowing Cunard would have referred one back to the Agent anyway.  
Then, because of perceived bad treatment/service by Cunard, first by not answering your call when one wanted, politely asking one to hold and second, by not, as yet, having refunded monies within one’s own set timeframe, one is not encouraged to sail Cunard again.

These are difficult times.  Think one is being a tad unreasonable.

We were expecting to receive a refund for the deposits we had put towards this cruise. Very disappointed that they have just been put back in the pot as FCCs. Have always booked directly with Cunard and always a received excellent service. However we have found their  customer service sadly lacking and impossible to reach the cancellations team. I have been holding for almost 2 hours today.  

As the OP seems to imply he booked through a travel agent, then that is where the contract lays and the money be refunded from. It is up to the TA to chase the refund and provide the service expected. Nothing to do with Cunard, this time: well…. apart from the cancellation, and that was primarily weather related. 
I hope your TA is very helpful.

12 hours ago, LadyL1 said:

As the OP seems to imply he booked through a travel agent, then that is where the contract lays and the money be refunded from. It is up to the TA to chase the refund and provide the service expected. Nothing to do with Cunard, this time: well…. apart from the cancellation, and that was primarily weather related. 
I hope your TA is very helpful.

Not necessarily we had 2 cruises cancelled by Cunard last year and neither where booked direct with Cunard but through a TA and we received our refunds direct from Cunard as we were told by our TA that Cunard were dealing with all refunds.

We have had seven cruises 'transferred' [not refunded] over the past 20 or so months and our agent has handled all the paperwork, and most efficiently may I say.

As an aside, we have complete faith in Cunard our monies are in safe hands.

15 hours ago, Jan10 said:

We were expecting to receive a refund for the deposits we had put towards this cruise. Very disappointed that they have just been put back in the pot as FCCs. Have always booked directly with Cunard and always a received excellent service. However we have found their  customer service sadly lacking and impossible to reach the cancellations team. I have been holding for almost 2 hours today.  

I've not had a cancellation since late last year but the default is usually FCC, you had to apply for a refund if that was what you wanted. 

What did your cancellation notification say ?

23 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Come on now ! let's be sensible , we are all experiencing extraordinary times and many of us are in the same boat awaiting refunds from a cancelled QE cruise the other week.

Your cruise was cancelled on the 27th November ( which incidentally was over a weekend) 

So let's be be fair, it's only 'Eight Days' ? ( from todays post).  A bit harsh to comment on Cunard, as if they are deliberately keeping us waiting .  

Rest assured your/our monies are safe , I'm still waiting (seven weeks weeks) for a refund from my travel insurance company from a cruise I was unable to take two months ago.   

Well said Bell Boy.

Our friend at Tesco can thank their lucky stars their booking wasn't with MSC. 😀

• Like 1

I don't really mind how long it takes, but the communication has been poor.

On the 2nd a random PDF cancellation invoice with the message:

Please find attached your cancellation invoice.

Yours sincerely,

Cunard

All they needed was a couple of paragraphs explaining the process.  

Things can take a while to process, but just send out meaningful emails and it will stop customers hassling you whilst you process everything. 

We received nothing apart from what Mrwriggles has mentioned. Our cancellation invoice showed the cost of our booking less miscellaneous credit and the final amount we paid.  We assume the miscellaneous credit is our FCC. Communication from Cunard has been pitiful and not what we have come to expect over the years we have travelled with them. If anyone can enlighten me as to why our FCCs are not showing as such but miscellaneous credit I would be pleased to hear from you 

We cancelled our QM2 Jan 14th 2022 to the Caribbean through our TA and didn't want FCC so lost our deposit, as per "the rules".

When I asked the TA how long before I see my money (we had paid in full) they said "Up to 90 days" - crooks!

Edited by bbtablet

11 hours ago, bbtablet said:

We cancelled our QM2 Jan 14th 2022 to the Caribbean through our TA and didn't want FCC so lost our deposit, as per "the rules".

When I asked the TA how long before I see my money (we had paid in full) they said "Up to 90 days" - crooks!

Some, myself included, waited a lot longer than 90 days last year at the peak of cancellations.

14 hours ago, bbtablet said:

I thought that you could cancel a cruise up to 31 days out and either loss the deposit or transfer to another cruise of the same or higher price? But I have looked on the Cunard site today and the transfer option seems to have gone, is that a recent change or am I confusing the terms with another cruise line?