Review: Allure's Thanksgiving At Sea: Suite Class, Smiles, & Steerage

RCCL Fan

13 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

Our littlest was itching like crazy after the sand fleas the night before.   Royal graciously offered us free visits to the medical center after the incident in Roatan and this morning we decided to take them up on it.

I've never experienced Sand Fleas and I don't think I ever want too. I wonder if water shoes help in any way?

Some plusses  ---   no upsale, at all.  It was great, we talked about what I do at home to manage stress, told her I was happy with my routine and that was it.

My first massage on Harmony was horrible in the upsale regard. She kept on trying to pressure me for other treatments. I finally said I'm sorry all I really wanted is a massage.

I did the obligatory last night photo buying, we do this every cruise and most of them just wind up in a drawer, bu

Beautiful picture of your family.

One mom got up to take her kids to the bathroom and left the husband there to guard the seats.  As soon as they got up another family sat down.  The father told the family the situation, that his wife and kids were just in the bathroom and this was the response he got, "Look buddy we paid a lot of money to go on this cruise and haven't been in a show yet.  If you can find us some seats for families we'll move, but if you can't we're sitting here,  they shouldn't have gotten up."

What?

That's so wrong on so many levels. 

I went down to the medical center.... and doc said I was have a worse reaction than my daughter.  I got shots to bring the swelling down and steroids to take on the way home.... oh Roatan.  

Yikes. Sorry that happened. Darn Sand Fleas.

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Changing reserved seating to early admission is not very appealing to me. It is like going back to the "old days" of going early and spending all that time sitting around in the theater. Such a waste of time. And though I appreciate your problem with the rude people, remembet that for years now RCI policy has been no saving of seats in shows. That is the policy people are used to now. So, to some extent, RCI is creating this problem.

I was thinking the same thing.  Hold a

seat while one goes to bathroom is one thing, holding multiple seats for a group for 45 minutes is not allowed.  So those

folks they thought were rude weren’t in fact being rude.  Hold seats for an entire group is actually the rude behavior given the rules.  It is no different than one person holding 6 chairs at the pool.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I've never experienced Sand Fleas and I don't think I ever want too. I wonder if water shoes help in any way?

Water shoes will protect your feet but they will just bite your ankles and lower legs instead, because they are not strong fliers. They aren't really sand fleas or flies. They are biting midges or "no-see-ums". I am horribly attractive to them and very sensitive to the bites. I always try to remember to put repellant on, but ever the optimist, I always think they are not around. :classic_smile:

https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/aquatic/biting_midges.htm

Great review! 

No see um bites email.jpg

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, topnole said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Hold a

seat while one goes to bathroom is one thing, holding multiple seats for a group for 45 minutes is not allowed.  So those

folks they thought were rude weren’t in fact being rude.  Hold seats for an entire group is actually the rude behavior given the rules.  It is no different than one person holding 6 chairs at the pool.  

I didn't know this was a policy at all. I also don't get why I had to be called names. If I was informed that it was a policy, I would have not done it. I also don't get why me holding seats is rude but okay.

23 minutes ago, Coralc said:

I am horribly attractive to them and very sensitive to the bites. I always try to remember to put repellant on,

I had no idea that they can be such a problem. I have never experienced them yet (knock on wood) and hope not to. What repellant do you recommend?

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I had no idea that they can be such a problem. I have never experienced them yet (knock on wood) and hope not to. What repellant do you recommend?

Anything with Deet, like Deep Woods Off. We also have a box of the individually packaged OFF-repellant wipes to carry with us. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ampurp85 said:

I didn't know this was a policy at all. I also don't get why I had to be called names. If I was informed that it was a policy, I would have not done it. I also don't get why me holding seats is rude but okay.

You most certainly shouldn’t have been called names.  That is ridiculous.  

I wouldn’t have bothered you personally, but if one was so insistent, they should’ve simply explained the policy or brought over a worker to explain it.  

I also wasn’t implying you were intentionally rude.  I was implying that each party thought the other was being rude and ironically the other group might have been upset because the rules were being broken.  Respectfully, there are many who purposely hog seats by holding them (against the stated policy) and obviously many passengers feel that is extremely selfish and rude behavior.  

I have experienced tensions rise before.  Happened to me and my wife.  A chair sat empty next to us for 2 hours by the pool.  We finally  just moved the flip fops to the seat next to it because some

told that group was together.  Guy comes back 30-40 minutes after that and proceeds to berate us.  He was really extremely hostile.  We claimed ignorance on it all because the guy was huge, but he wouldn’t stop.  I’m not far from being tiny myself but I had no interest in an argument so I just told him I don’t know what happened and referenced the policy. 

Someone near by spoke up and told him a staff member moved it. It was definitely stressful.  The person nearby told us they came early in the morning and the chair had been empty other than his flip flop for much longer than what we experienced.  So chair hogging/reserving can definitely can be an issue on the ships.   

• Like 1

Thanks for the review. I'm having second thoughts on our Oasis February cruise now... my son isn't eligble for his second dose until 8 days before the cruise, meaning he won't switch to a "fully vaxxed" passenger until day 5 of 7. And my 4 year old daughter will not be vaccinated. We were really looking forward to AO for them, now I'm wondering if we should cancel. 

6 minutes ago, goodtoglow said:

Thanks for the review. I'm having second thoughts on our Oasis February cruise now... my son isn't eligble for his second dose until 8 days before the cruise, meaning he won't switch to a "fully vaxxed" passenger until day 5 of 7. And my 4 year old daughter will not be vaccinated. We were really looking forward to AO for them, now I'm wondering if we should cancel. 

Considering how RCI handles other issues, status tends to be determined by the first day of the cruise, ie. ability to consume alcohol, etc., I'm not sure your kid's status will change to vaxxed during the cruise. 

Only you can decide if you want to go with the various restrictions that you may have to deal with.

Day 7

Headed Home

IMG_9358.thumb.JPG.2926d3d6b3eeb66e1ccbec1ddff796e4.JPG

Woke up this morning and bid the place goodbye.  The kids remarked on how much they loved the suite and were sad to see it go.   I agreed but told them don't get spoiled....  it was a treat this once.

We were  too late for windjammer and went up to the suite lounge....  got up there and the concierge asks, why didn't you come to the goodbye breakfast this morning?

Remarked that I didn't know we had one.   He just laughed.

I'm like uh ok..  shouldn't someone have sent me a note in my room or something?    I really didn't get any notes all week.  

Ah well. lol

IMG_9348.thumb.JPG.a0b5c5f9685a75c12f8fa71a8e06e2c1.JPG

The airline had a flight change a few months before the cruise and out 11am departure had been moved to 3:25pm 

We had a few hours to kill. I asked the concierge if he had any advice. He did not.

IMG_9955.thumb.JPG.546bf6d3e80929259d9dcfda6f4da351.JPG

We headed off the ship, customs was a breeze.  No more forms, no questions,  just a face scan and off you go. I was super impressed.

IMG_9957.thumb.JPG.9d6ab49a62fd47014b6c087362201742.JPG

We hopped an uber over to Hertz at the airport to pick up a rental car for the day.   Of course I get there and my name is NOT on the board. 

We wait for a while, get to the desk and they say, oh it's because you're late.

I told the guy my reservation is for 10am   it's 10:02am   I've been standing in the line for 15 minutes.

"Oh yeah.... I don't know why then"

hahah   ok.....  

He gave me a specific car,  no selecting on my own....  and off I went. 

IMG_9960.thumb.JPG.01bdbb4a34045e7db9d1c24a2ae67dab.JPG

We did a scenic drive along the beach and stopped at the Hilton randomly for lunch.... it was on the water, it would be a good spot.

Turns out they were renovating, so it was order from the pool bar, but it was fine.

After that turned back our car, and headed to the check in counter. 

IMG_9971.thumb.JPG.0daa4b19ff4223d0668c33419a0dbccf.JPG

Flights were smooth, great service... We connected in Atlanta so we could drop off my niece there before heading back to Texas. 

My mother in law picked her up at the airport and immediately vowed she was coming with us on the next cruise.....   of course my wife's stepmom  had declared the same thing days earlier....   Now that's going to be a fun review!

IMG_9985.thumb.JPG.981ace761e5f495cf88871d960a07ac7.JPG

We hopped our second flight home  and all bags made it.

Thanksgiving At Sea was done.

665778341_IMG_9966(1).thumb.JPG.99f04761f79bea9d9accf0fd802d3484.JPG

My final thoughts.....

This trip felt negative. There was a lot going on but there were bright spots too, many in fact. 

I've started to wonder, am I just getting picky and harder to please?

I think when you bring others with you, you want them to love it as much as you do.

You want them to say "This was the best ever, and thanks for introducing us to this"

Fortunately, despite the hiccups they did enjoy themselves, and seemed to understand that things just weren't normal right now.

I'll admit, as I read a lot of thing rules about unvax passenger rules, I didn't give it much thought.... we're all vax....  not thinking about my youngest and that we were all wear her scarlet letter.

I'm never one to tell people don't vacation.  A week away is always good for the soul.

However you need to know things will impact all of you if you have a little one not fully vax.  It's not your normal cruise.

You will struggle a bit to find activities, tours, and AO is nothing like it was in the past.

The tours really need to be addressed by RCI.

You need to know what you're facing  going in, I didn't realize it.  I thought the kids would wear masks in AO, it would be smaller groups, but I didn't expect sitting on a dot and not moving.     I didn't expect only 5 hours in there a whole week.

The biggest challenge for me was the lack of coordination.   Book your AO time,  and oh well on  your dinners.  Get them to work around us.

The dinner folks saying, tell AO you have a dinner, they'll change.

Everyone was struggling to accommodate and was asking you to ask someone else to bend.   I felt like I was bartering between the concierge and AO, rather than them figuring it out for me.

My wife said, "i've never seen you work so hard to get reservations,  I've never seen you so frustrated, i felt like I never saw you because you were always up there trying to coordinate something"

She was right, I was.

And that's no good.

This was my first Royal Suite Class experience... and I expect more umph.  Other than a bigger room, I didn't feel special.... I didn't feel like I got much of anything.

When we sailed on Vision in a junior suite I felt more love. 

I loved the MDR, don't avoid it, it's easy to get roped into all the specialty restaurants, but MDR has such a desire to please and I love that.

Chops was amazing,  perfect, I paid a lot for it, but it was still great.

Great service in Vintages and good food in cafe promenade, don't miss those.

Food, &  Bar Service was on point. 

AO, overall organization, cruise director staff, and suite lounge were not.

Love the silent dance party, i love new activities!

Wish I saw the captain once....wish i saw the CD  more than the love and marriage show.

Loved that suite --- that hot tub ---  although as our friends found out one night... the master bedroom door doesn't have a lock, parents beware  haha!

Grand Marnier Souffle well   that brings up the score right there.

All said and done though...   the ships beautiful.  Absolutely beautiful.   Even at 50% capacity it felt very uncrowded,  and many of the staff were true Royal Caribbean amazing.

Bottomline, we just had trouble with logistics.... and that's part of life these days.  I'm sure just like Chick fil A  doesn't have staff and you can't get supplies,  Royal is struggling to get workers.  

I give them grace...  this cruise was years overdue, and we wanted to go, knowing things were nuts, we needed a break  and they gave it to us.

I commend them for getting the ships sailing again.

You have to go in with the right mindset.

Will I plan another cruise with the kids right now?  No,  I won't.  I need to see us move back to more normalcy.   

We have a cruise on Wonder in April, just  the 4 of us (maybe some mom in laws )  and by then all of us will be fully vaxed.

I want to see if it's better, if it's different. 

If Wonder wows us, absolutely we're always ready to plan the next one...  we're eyeing the ABC Islands hard....  Southern Caribbean is calling our names.

I do hope something gives though, Allure is a great ship with so many advances, and we've loved it time and time again.    

She's coming to Texas soon which we will adore.... (if she has routes that take you east and not just to Roatan and Costa Maya)  

I'm sure we'll be back,  I'm sure we'll be looking for deals on Suite 12638 

But right now, I'm hoping other parents report back, that I'm crazy, that their ship ran like clockwork, that AO was on point.... because that's what I know RCI to be... and I'm eager to see it again.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Edited by RCCL Fan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 12/9/2021 at 9:12 PM, ampurp85 said:

. We were also in a 2br GS, so we were allowed to get early seating. This meant getting to the shows 45min early and as the planner I was designated to do this. 

So... I don't know about this early seating thing.... explain.  Something I clearly missed.

2 hours ago, goodtoglow said:

It's tough, in the end,  I know things would have been better if we waiting and went several months from now.   But.... I didn't want to wait anymore, we felt like we waited long enough. 

It's a tough choice.  

Just know AO is not guaranteed, and not what it was. 

and yes like the others I think all of you will be considered unvax all week.

8 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

Was a problem at the West End as well.  Problem at all beaches, worse is if you are a scuba diver with no wet suit is sea lice!

interesting.

I guess we were lucky last time at West End and unlucky this time.   I think I would have been more forgiving if the water was clear like West End,  if we could get in the water without worrying about sea weed.  I think the bugs were just kinda the last straw.

6 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

The kids remarked on how much they loved the suite and were sad to see it go.   I agreed but told them don't get spoiled....  it was a treat this once.

You love to spoil your family. I predict this won't be the only beautiful suite they are gifted.

• Like 1

Thanks for taking us along (post wise) on your family vacation. Greatly enjoyed all of your posts and even though the logistics for you were a bit off it looked as though you and your family had a good time. As for the lack of service and help from folks on board that should have been there to assist you, you are too forgiving, I think a thoughtful note or comment about your difficulties due to the lack of service from the folks that should have been there for you would be warranted otherwise the service personnel that seem to have done less than a good job will just go on performing subpar thinking all was just fine. Certainly your call. Thanks again and be well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

It's tough, in the end,  I know things would have been better if we waiting and went several months from now.   But.... I didn't want to wait anymore, we felt like we waited long enough. 

It's a tough choice.  

Just know AO is not guaranteed, and not what it was. 

and yes like the others I think all of you will be considered unvax all week.

I think if AO was different and you had more time without the kids, you would’ve enjoyed the SL/CK.   We usually eat every breakfast in there and most lunches.  Dinners vary, but depending on if we are doing specialty dinners or the menu we eat multiple times in CK for dinner too.  We also go in there for drinks here and there.  We love the views and after a few times the staff know you and the service,

in our experience, was usually outstanding.  I have never left an Oasis class ship, when in sky class, thinking the only thing I got was a bigger cabin.  We always thought the whole experience made the trip much better (even when there were some issues).   

To me it sounds like your SL concierge was lacking in some areas.  They should’ve been helping you more.  Next time, maybe politely express your dissatisfaction early on and things will change very quickly.  Maybe you did that and it didn’t help.  

• Like 1

Thanks for one of your typically great reviews for what sounded like a not so great cruise.  You have more patience than I do.  Although you had to deal with a lot, I'm guessing that the kids still had a fantastic time. 

We were on Allure in a CLS in September fully vaxxed with no kids, so no steerage issues like you.  Still, we left the ship with sort of a meh feeling about the cruise and the suite experience.  I also wondered if it was just me being pickier.  I love Royal but it actually got us thinking that we should look elsewhere for a suite experience without kids.  I want to give them the benefit of the doubt that these are just re-start and Covid related problems that will hopefully ease/go away.  We've got a GS on Harmony booked in April so we'll see what that experience is like.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Thanks for one of your typically great reviews for what sounded like a not so great cruise.  You have more patience than I do.  Although you had to deal with a lot, I'm guessing that the kids still had a fantastic time. 

We were on Allure in a CLS in September fully vaxxed with no kids, so no steerage issues like you.  Still, we left the ship with sort of a meh feeling about the cruise and the suite experience.  I also wondered if it was just me being pickier.  I love Royal but it actually got us thinking that we should look elsewhere for a suite experience without kids.  I want to give them the benefit of the doubt that these are just re-start and Covid related problems that will hopefully ease/go away.  We've got a GS on Harmony booked in April so we'll see what that experience is like.

I wonder if this is a suite issue or just a new covid protocols reality that impacts all passengers (making it even more frustrating when you pay more for a suite).  

Even before Covid, I’ve heard from many that suite experiences are better on other lines like NCL with the Haven.  But others say different things.  

It sounds like Royal needs to step up the Concierge advantage.  If there is no advantage to having a Concierge then there is no need to pay for one.  Overworked and understaffed ?  Probably, but that is not your problem and you should not have to pay the price with a underwhelming experience.

If Royal does NOT step up their Concierge level service then they are going to lose high $$ cruisers.  It's that simple.  Big money has a lot more options and it will move wherever it is being satisfied.

I agree with @zebra36.  A well-written critique in your cruise review should help highlight where the services are lagging.  If they aren't hearing from their suite customers about service issues then they cannot correct them.

I've had Suites Concierges that I felt only did the minimum but I have never come away from a suite stay feeling like I got nothing (or, very little) from the experience.  That is not a good outcome and will not only make you think twice about investing that kind of $$ again with Royal Caribbean but will alarm others who may be thinking of making that kind of an investment. 

I have never cruised on another line in a suite but frankly, once we are able to cruise again, I may make that choice as I am hearing again and again that Royal's suite experience just isn't measuring up.  The probable exception to this is Star Class, which I do enjoy (husband, not so much) but for regular suites, I am getting that feeling that Royal is no longer the best choice.  Very sad.  Thank you for your honest review and opinion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

It sounds like Royal needs to step up the Concierge advantage.  If there is no advantage to having a Concierge then there is no need to pay for one.  Overworked and understaffed ?  Probably, but that is not your problem and you should not have to pay the price with a underwhelming experience.

If Royal does NOT step up their Concierge level service then they are going to lose high $$ cruisers.  It's that simple.  Big money has a lot more options and it will move wherever it is being satisfied.

I agree with @zebra36.  A well-written critique in your cruise review should help highlight where the services are lagging.  If they aren't hearing from their suite customers about service issues then they cannot correct them.

I've had Suites Concierges that I felt only did the minimum but I have never come away from a suite stay feeling like I got nothing (or, very little) from the experience.  That is not a good outcome and will not only make you think twice about investing that kind of $$ again with Royal Caribbean but will alarm others who may be thinking of making that kind of an investment. 

I have never cruised on another line in a suite but frankly, once we are able to cruise again, I may make that choice as I am hearing again and again that Royal's suite experience just isn't measuring up.  The probable exception to this is Star Class, which I do enjoy (husband, not so much) but for regular suites, I am getting that feeling that Royal is no longer the best choice.  Very sad.  Thank you for your honest review and opinion.

It is a bit refreshing to read your post. I'm getting a little tired of posts from people who will jump through hoops, and accept whatever RCI thows at them, in return for the money we spend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, topnole said:

I wonder if this is a suite issue or just a new covid protocols reality that impacts all passengers (making it even more frustrating when you pay more for a suite).  

Even before Covid, I’ve heard from many that suite experiences are better on other lines like NCL with the Haven.  But others say different things.  

Suites do need a reimagined concept on Royal if they want to compete with NCLs Haven, or Celebrity’s Retreat.

They also need to have more consistency of perks across their classes of ships. And with consistency, there should be simplification. You shouldn’t have to think. What “class” of suite am I in. It should be are you a suite passenger or not.

Crew training and selection also needs to be given careful attention. There needs to be clear customer service guidelines and consistent and constant training for the customer facing personnel who interact with their suite guests.

Getting a lack luster concierge should never be a thing. The servers, room attendants and bartenders should be the best the ships have to offer.

The suite restaurant should be on par with the specialty dining experience and the service should be top notch.  

The suite lounge needs to be a destination to be enjoyed often for multiple reasons, not just some free drinks.

The outside deck space needs to be an oasis or relaxation and stress reduction where you can find everything you want on a pool deck but in an elevated manner.

Royal basically took their larger rooms and strapped purchasable perks on them. They then segregates some deck areas and threw some nicer loungers. Nothing was thought out fully.

The suite experience needs to be rebuilt from the ground up if it wants to truly compete with other brand suite experience. Fortunately for them, this is not the demographic they usually target. But if they want to attract and get repetitive business from the people who go to the Haven or Retreat, they need to do better. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, topnole said:

I think if AO was different and you had more time without the kids, you would’ve enjoyed the SL/CK.   We usually eat every breakfast in there and most lunches.  Dinners vary, but depending on if we are doing specialty dinners or the menu we eat multiple times in CK for dinner too.  We also go in there for drinks here and there.  We love the views and after a few times the staff know you and the service,

in our experience, was usually outstanding.  I have never left an Oasis class ship, when in sky class, thinking the only thing I got was a bigger cabin.  We always thought the whole experience made the trip much better (even when there were some issues).   

To me it sounds like your SL concierge was lacking in some areas.  They should’ve been helping you more.  Next time, maybe politely express your dissatisfaction early on and things will change very quickly.  Maybe you did that and it didn’t help.  

I mean we definitely judged Coastal Kitchen on that first night....   but it was bad.  We just didn't want to risk that again.  

We did spend time on the "suite lounge side" of the Viking Crown.... which is what I called it all week lol

The service from the bar staff there was always nice.  We enjoyed it, but it was usually just a quick pop in kinda thing pre dinner.

Breakfast isn't a big thing in our family.  I rarely eat it,  neither does my older daughter.  My wife wakes up at 5am daily while I sleep in, so she is used to eating alone.

So room service is almost always the breakfast choice for us.... my wife gets it delivered at 6am and I nibble when i wake up an hour or two later.

Lunch onboard is only on sea days and usually we're by the pool so we pop in windjammer and back out. 

Dinners are usually our only restaurant time....

We LOVED Adventure Ocean dining which Allure  has previously offered.    You bring your kids to the windjammer at a set time and leave them with AO staff.   They eat with the AO  staff and then they head off from there to AO for activities for the night.    It used to be offered nightly, then one cruise it was like only 3 or 4 times and lately we' haven't seen it offered at all (even pre covid) 

Trust me I think had we been alone our experience would be different.  But my wife and I don't travel alone, we're parents.   We're a family.  We'll blink our eyes and our kids will be gone (only 5 more years before our oldest leaves the nest)   Right now we want to be with them as much as we can.   We'll have time to cruise alone when they're adults.  

My wife and I alone would be just fine in a JS or even a D1,  i want the suites for the space for my family, so i need the experience to be better for all of us if I'm to eye another large suite.

5 hours ago, RFerrington said:

My travel agent has consistently tried to get me to sail in the Haven.  Saying I should really try it. 

I wanted to make Diamond Plus first, I don't intend on ever getting pinnacle, but I wanted to lock in diamond plus before they put in another tier in my way.  lol

Maybe we'll look around.  It was one cruise and it was covid times, so I'm not giving up, but sure it would be nice to compare with other lines.

I have two cruises booked already with Royal, and I have my eye on two others.  Once Allure comes to Texas and if the rumors are true and Icon does too, I know my butt will be driving down there often.

But yes if AO doesn't improve soon, I think we're going to do some land based trips for a while, until my youngest is old enough to not want to do AO anymore.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zebra36 said:

Thanks for taking us along (post wise) on your family vacation. Greatly enjoyed all of your posts and even though the logistics for you were a bit off it looked as though you and your family had a good time. As for the lack of service and help from folks on board that should have been there to assist you, you are too forgiving, I think a thoughtful note or comment about your difficulties due to the lack of service from the folks that should have been there for you would be warranted otherwise the service personnel that seem to have done less than a good job will just go on performing subpar thinking all was just fine. Certainly your call. Thanks again and be well.

I always fill out my survey and i'm always honest,  this one was a little longer than most.    I know they take those to heart.

• Like 1