Xcelerate Stream - Wifi Calling

HBDave

Does the Xcelerate Stream internet package allow initiating WiFi Phone Calls?

Also what is the cost to upgrade from the included Surf Package to the Xcelerate Stream Package?

Thanks for your input.

Edited by HBDave

Wifi calling works great.  My dentist's office called me while I was eating in Oceanview today.  I've since turned off the ringer.  There was a rude woman loudly talking on speakerphone for about an hour in al Bacio today.  Even with noise canceling ear buds, it was annoying. She really should have gone to her cabin. I finally gave up and left.

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes.    I used both FaceTime and Iphone Wifi Calling.   Just make sure you are in Airplane Mode with wifi enabled.

Our experience too, works on our Samsung Android, the airplane mode is a must or calls will come over Cellular at Sea and cost a fortune. On the Equinox in August, we didn't get any car warranty calls either, LOL 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

Wifi calling works great.  My dentist's office called me while I was eating in Oceanview today.  I've since turned off the ringer.  There was a rude woman loudly talking on speakerphone for about an hour in al Bacio today.  Even with noise canceling ear buds, it was annoying. She really should have gone to her cabin. I finally gave up and left.

That happened in the same place on our last Equinox cruise and one of the passengers suggested the woman use ear buds and the rest of us stood up and applauded her. She got up and walked off in a huff.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

If you only need to be on hi-speed for short periods of time, are there any hourly options if you have  SURF pakg?

They do offer a daily rate of about $35.   I think the hourly is $14.

If you are Elilte or above you have at least 1 hour Free internet.     Other options would be to do your wifi calling while in port.   This is what most of the crew do and they usually have free wifi in most terminals.

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

If you are Elilte or above you have at least 1 hour Free internet.     Other options would be to do your wifi calling while in port.   This is what most of the crew do and they usually have free wifi in most terminals.

Appreciate   Thanks

15 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Jim,

Is the Elite free internet Surf or Stream?

TIA

On 11/29/2021 at 9:04 PM, goofysmom99 said:

the reason I wish there was no WiFi on ships

On 11/29/2021 at 9:04 PM, goofysmom99 said:

Edited by PTC DAWG

I'm am trying to figure out what speed internet I will have.  I booked under the old 4 perk option which gives us OBC, gratuities, premium drink package and Wifi unlimited.  The wifi has been rebranded and I am trying to determine if I will have the streaming package.  I want to have the ability to call via wifi to check in with my father daily.

On 12/1/2021 at 11:36 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Per Celebrity website -

Elite and Elite Plus members will receive 90 and 240 complimentary stream minutes

Any idea how that works when you're walking around with a phone that's ALWAYS connected to wifi?  How do you say "NOW is when I want my stream minutes"?

40 minutes ago, Hickeyclan1 said:

If you have Verizon, signup for their International Plan.  Cost is only $10 per day on days used.  Much cheaper

ATT has the same program but it is not good on cruise ships who use Cellular at Sea as the carrier. I suspect the same for Verizon

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan said:

I'm am trying to figure out what speed internet I will have.  I booked under the old 4 perk option which gives us OBC, gratuities, premium drink package and Wifi unlimited.  The wifi has been rebranded and I am trying to determine if I will have the streaming package.  I want to have the ability to call via wifi to check in with my father daily.

Go into your cruise planner and it should be listed under Order History. For our Alaska cruise that was originally booked the old Perks program back in 2019 and punted a couple of times, it shows up as "Always Included Xcelerate Stream". If you booked through a TA, you may need to get them to have X list it on your cruise. At least that's been my experience.

3 hours ago, D C said:

Any idea how that works when you're walking around with a phone that's ALWAYS connected to wifi?  How do you say "NOW is when I want my stream minutes"?

You can stay connected to the ship's wifi, but you have to log on and log off when you use your minutes.  You can log on and download your email or a podcast, then log off immediately and only use a few of your 90 or 240 minutes at a time.  

We always get the wifi package even though we are Elite+.  In the past it was a PIA as it would use up minutes when we log on without actually connecting, and you had to go down to the internet office to get the minutes restored.

3 hours ago, Auntiemomo said:

You can stay connected to the ship's wifi, but you have to log on and log off when you use your minutes.  You can log on and download your email or a podcast, then log off immediately and only use a few of your 90 or 240 minutes at a time.  

We always get the wifi package even though we are Elite+.  In the past it was a PIA as it would use up minutes when we log on without actually connecting, and you had to go down to the internet office to get the minutes restored.

Thanks!

Does it revert to the cruddy wifi when you logoff? 

I didn't realise they downgraded the 'free' wifi from the previous perk-plan.  It was rather frustrating at times last month.