Xcelerate Stream - Wifi Calling

HBDave

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

A question about pre-boarding wifi purchases. It seems that is cheaper for 1 passenger to buy a plan for 2 devices than 2 passengers buying a 1 device plan each. I'm assuming there's nothing to prevent someone from buying a 2 device wifi plan and allowing the other passenger to use the WiFi plan simultaneously as long as both people are using the same logon ID and password?

When you buy an internet package whether 2 or one you have to create individual accounts and passwords for each package.     Celebrity really doesn't care who uses them.     Each account you can connect unlimited devices but only one at a time.    

If you try to log on a second device to the same logon/password you will be asked if you want to bump the other off the air.

9 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

When you buy an internet package whether 2 or one you have to create individual accounts and passwords for each package.     Celebrity really doesn't care who uses them.     Each account you can connect unlimited devices but only one at a time.    

If you try to log on a second device to the same logon/password you will be asked if you want to bump the other off the air.

I know how the wifi works it's just confusing how the login works when you want to buy plans and you see it's cheaper for 1 person to get a 2 device plan vs 2 people getting a 1 device plan. Previously we've been using the free tier minutes and/or sharing 1 purchased internet plan but as the years go by we both would like to be logged on all the time. I know it's been mentioned before but if we call Celebrity now we can get both the pre-boarding discount and the ElitePlus discount for wifi plans?

My opinion only and should be checked with Celebrity,  I think it is just a way of doing a discount for 2 accounts.    I can only think of a few reasons why a single individual would want or buy 2 accounts. 

One of those reason might be a parent who is buying an account for a child.     I'm sure you will have no problem either way.    If you call come back and let us know what they say.

How does texting work on airplane mode and ship wifi. I know that iPhone to iPhone using I messaging is free but how about texting someone who has an Android ? Also can you text photos as well for free ? 

Edited by harrywpb

5 hours ago, kwokpot said:

A question about pre-boarding wifi purchases. It seems that is cheaper for 1 passenger to buy a plan for 2 devices than 2 passengers buying a 1 device plan each. I'm assuming there's nothing to prevent someone from buying a 2 device wifi plan and allowing the other passenger to use the WiFi plan simultaneously as long as both people are using the same logon ID and password?

I upgraded to stream with 2 devices today. The celebrity lady told me that my sister in law and I could each use the wifi at the same time with this plan. I’m assuming we’d use the same login as her login would be for the included surf package. But I’m just guessing. 

2 hours ago, harrywpb said:

How does texting work on airplane mode and ship wifi. I know that iPhone to iPhone using I messaging is free but how about texting someone who has an Android ? Also can you text photos as well for free ? 

Your iphone has wifi calling in settings.  Turn it on.  Your phone then works on wifi just like you were at home and you can text anyone.  All phones have this setting but cell phone carriers don't tell you because they lose income when you use it.  I do believe you need to turn wifi calling on when you're on your home network the first time, though.  Once you've done that, you'll we able to call/text from anywhere there's a wifi.  The crew used to do that when they were in port; you could always follow them to the nearest free wifi spot where they'd call home.  Now free wifi on land is easy to find.  I leave wifi calling on as my phone default.  There's really no need to turn it off.  I also have T-mobile (plan includes unlimited GoGo inflight wifi).  Great combo for travel.

Edited by goofysmom99

46 minutes ago, harrywpb said:

I’m on the Reflection now and have that plan. My Wife and I use the same login credentials. 

Thanks. I was assuming that's how it would work when it's 1 person, two device plan. That would be the most logical way. I'll have to wait until I'm on board to buy the 2 device plan with the ElitePlus discount since the rep I spoke to at Celebrity Blue Chip Club said I couldn't double dip and receive both preboarding and Elite Plus wifi discounts. 

16 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

Your iphone has wifi calling in settings.  Turn it on.  Your phone then works on wifi just like you were at home and you can text anyone.  All phones have this setting but cell phone carriers don't tell you because they lose income when you use it.  I do believe you need to turn wifi calling on when you're on your home network the first time, though.  Once you've done that, you'll we able to call/text from anywhere there's a wifi.  The crew used to do that when they were in port; you could always follow them to the nearest free wifi spot where they'd call home.  Now free wifi on land is easy to find.  I leave wifi calling on as my phone default.  There's really no need to turn it off.  I also have T-mobile (plan includes unlimited GoGo inflight wifi).  Great combo for travel.

17 hours ago, paulajj said:

I upgraded to stream with 2 devices today. The celebrity lady told me that my sister in law and I could each use the wifi at the same time with this plan. I’m assuming we’d use the same login as her login would be for the included surf package. But I’m just guessing. 

16 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

Thank you. 
Harry

16 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Thanks. I was assuming that's how it would work when it's 1 person, two device plan. That would be the most logical way. I'll have to wait until I'm on board to buy the 2 device plan with the ElitePlus discount since the rep I spoke to at Celebrity Blue Chip Club said I couldn't double dip and receive both preboarding and Elite Plus wifi discounts. 

16 hours ago, kwokpot said:

You might want to check with Celebrity but I think the pre sail price is cheaper. We paid $23.40 a day for the two device plan using our Elite Plus discount. I’m not sure if that price is the same on board. 

This brings up another question I've had for a while.  I've sailed the Sky Suites, which includes all the upgrades (streaming internet, as well).  But, I keep trying to put a number/cost on the upgrade from AI to Premium (drinks, streaming internet, tips, OBC) included in the Retreat.

So, I haven't been able to find anything on Celebrity's site to do a comparison.  Anyone know what it costs to upgrade from AI to Premium Drinks package + Streaming internet + Tips (OBC should be $600/suite)?

7 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

This brings up another question I've had for a while.  I've sailed the Sky Suites, which includes all the upgrades (streaming internet, as well).  But, I keep trying to put a number/cost on the upgrade from AI to Premium (drinks, streaming internet, tips, OBC) included in the Retreat.

So, I haven't been able to find anything on Celebrity's site to do a comparison.  Anyone know what it costs to upgrade from AI to Premium Drinks package + Streaming internet + Tips (OBC should be $600/suite)?

We did a fake booking on an aqua cabin for 10 days on the Connie for Dec 13. When we added the indulge $60/day package to it, the resulting estimate looked just like when we booked a suite to include the $800 OBC (because it was a 10 day cruise).

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We did a fake booking on an aqua cabin for 10 days on the Connie for Dec 13. When we added the indulge $60/day package to it, the resulting estimate looked just like when we booked a suite to include the $800 OBC. 

Thanks, Ken.  So, is it possible to individually price out the separate "indulge" options (Premium drinks, streaming, tips)?  Or, is it take none or all?

12 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Thanks, Ken.  So, is it possible to individually price out the separate "indulge" options (Premium drinks, streaming, tips)?  Or, is it take none or all?

If I understand your question correctly, the only way I could think to do that to see if it was worth it would be to figure what the upgrade charge would be from AI to the premium packages, to include any loyalty discounts. In this case you first have to subtract the $400 pp OBC which would reduce the 10 total down to $200. Then subtract the gratuities for the non-suite cabin. Let’s say $16 per day or $160. That leaves $40 total to cover the upgrade costs for drinks and internet for the full 10 day cruise. That sounds like a pretty good upgrade deal to me. 

But to answer your second question, I believe it’s an all or nothing deal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I understand your question correctly, the only way I could think to do that to see if it was worth it would be to figure what the upgrade charge would be from AI to the premium packages, to include any loyalty discounts. In this case you first have to subtract the $400 pp OBC which would reduce the 10 total down to $200. Then subtract the gratuities for the non-suite cabin. Let’s say $16 per day or $160. That leaves $40 total to cover the upgrade costs for drinks and internet for the full 10 day cruise. That sounds like a pretty good upgrade deal to me. 

But to answer your second question, I believe it’s an all or nothing deal. 

Thanks, Ken.  That helps immensely!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, harrywpb said:

It just goes out MMS or SMS for free.   This explains the 2 protocols

https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/what-is-an-SMS

At times you may have a hard time with an attachment e.g. a picture but usually a Text Message goes through fine.

1 hour ago, harrywpb said:

You might want to check with Celebrity but I think the pre sail price is cheaper. We paid $23.40 a day for the two device plan using our Elite Plus discount. I’m not sure if that price is the same on board. 

As with everything Celebrity I called yesterday and they said they couldn't prebook the wifi packages using our Elite discount. I went through two different reps, the first put me on hold and then ten minutes later I was disconnected. The second rep put me on hold for fifteen minutes and said it couldn't be done pre-boarding using the ElitePlus discount. I gave up.

Edited by kwokpot

1 hour ago, harrywpb said:

Same for us.  This is from the email receipt for our 11- night sailing to upgrade our "Always" internet packages.

Always Upgrade to Xcelerate Stream 1 Device - Elite+ Member -35%:

Total Packages Purchased:

Total Cost *:

257.40 USD

Payment(s) for Guest(s) who ordered this product

Guest Name

Reservation

Payment*

Form of Payment

128.70 USD

Onboard Credit Applied

57.40 USD

71.30 USD

Onboard Credit Applied

Please note: Always Upgrade to Xcelerate Stream 1 Device - Elite+ Member -35% purchases cannot be modified once a payment has been made. To change an order, you'll need to cancel it first and then make your purchases again.

I phoned and asked to be upgraded from the included surf package (1 device) to stream (2 devices). I’m select. She only charged me $118 cdn….I’m really wondering now what she sold me lol. I questioned it 3 times because it seemed too low to me. Be I was assured that we could both use it at the same time and it was the faster/better WiFi. 
we’ve decided to leave it and each log in and out if needed. 
Maybe I got a sale? 🤷‍♀️ 

8B7AFBB8-34A8-4018-B9C1-A2E6918CE683.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Coochuck said:

Has anyone tried to call Celebrity to purchase the Steam Plan with the Elite Discount?  I held on the phone for an hour and gave up.   No one answers the phone there.

We called to upgrade both our Internet and Drink packages and waited for 90 minutes before someone answered. Actually, we put our phone on speaker mode and did other things to pass the time until someone answered.

18 minutes ago, Coochuck said:

Has anyone tried to call Celebrity to purchase the Steam Plan with the Elite Discount?  I held on the phone for an hour and gave up.   No one answers the phone there.

See Post #68.  I called, and this is the email receipt I received several hours later.

7 hours ago, paulajj said:

I phoned and asked to be upgraded from the included surf package (1 device) to stream (2 devices). I’m select. She only charged me $118 cdn….I’m really wondering now what she sold me lol. I questioned it 3 times because it seemed too low to me. Be I was assured that we could both use it at the same time and it was the faster/better WiFi. 
we’ve decided to leave it and each log in and out if needed. 
Maybe I got a sale? 🤷‍♀️ 

8B7AFBB8-34A8-4018-B9C1-A2E6918CE683.jpeg

They sold you the stream package upgrade for 2 devices.   Sounds like exactly what you wanted.