RCCL - Covid Testing protocol ... what are the "real" logistics everyone is finding easiest?

1 minute ago, mawvkysc said:

https://www.walgreens.com/topic/promotion/covid-testing.jsp?ban=covidfy21_newtestingpg_brandstory_main_11.21.22

scroll down to the drop down box “What is the difference between the test?” The IDNow is a NAAT test, just like the PCR. 

"just like" isn't the same as "is".  I would double check to make sure RCCL accepts "just like" in place of the PCR.

I have no idea what is what, so I'm definitely not making a determination here but I wouldn't want to be the person at the port having the argument with the port people who are likely trained to find the letters "PCR".

21 hours ago, susieq3630 said:

Does anyone know if the new rules about flying into US and needing a Covid test 24hrs before applies to cruises?  We are cruising to Mexico 12/15 to 12/20 and will have a test on 12/13 before we fly to Houston but do we need a test when we get off the ship before we fly home?

We just got off a cruise that began and ended in LA. We did not need a test coming back into the US before flying home.  We did the home proctored test two days before our cruise 

The Royal website says it accepts  all Abbott tests as long as at a facility or proctored. So this question of if it is a PCR will only come up if it is required because the person is unvaccinated. 

Edited by mawvkysc
Typo

15 hours ago, Rosy Season said:

But is that a PCR test?

1 hour ago, mawvkysc said:

scroll down to the drop down box “What is the difference between the test?” The IDNow is a NAAT test, just like the PCR

The IDNow (antigen) is NOT a PCR test. Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) is a type of Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT), but NAAT does not have to be a PCR test. If they require PCR, make sure it is PCR and not antigen.

On 12/3/2021 at 11:18 AM, susieq3630 said:

Does anyone know if the new rules about flying into US and needing a Covid test 24hrs before applies to cruises?  We are cruising to Mexico 12/15 to 12/20 and will have a test on 12/13 before we fly to Houston but do we need a test when we get off the ship before we fly home?

Check out this link below. 

Do the new COVID-19 testing rules apply to cruisers?

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

On 12/1/2021 at 11:57 AM, Snowmeiser said:

Hi Folks!

I am racking my brain, trying to figure how "how to get it done" in the right time window and get a result before I board...

DATA:

• We board Symphony of the Seas on a SATURDAY out of Florida
  • We fly from Portland, OR on the immediate preceeding THURSDAY
  • We are both fully vaccinated (even boostered!)
  • requirement is PCR or Rapid Antigen no more than 2 DAYS before boarding

What/how/when are folks getting thier test done, getting the result in hand, and having something in hand in a timely manner to get on board?

it just all seems so "tight" that it makes it almost impossible to meet deadlines when trying to fly, arrive, hotel, shuttle to cruise port and get on board..

please let me know what others have found as reasonable and sufficient to "get it done" so we can plan, and be allowed on board.

thank you!

Jerry & Carlene

We have been on 5 cruises this year and by far the easiest testing was the at home test. That is the only method I will use for future cruises as long as testing is required.  

I was able to use paper in Dee on Thanksgiving day and I had a great experience so for all of you that are a little concerned just wanted to do a follow up because they came straight to our hotel I was able to get the antigen and the PCR test PCR test came back the very next day so I have nothing but good things to say about them and I just kind of wanted to give some feedback

1 hour ago, Joybest said:

I was able to use paper in Dee on Thanksgiving day and I had a great experience so for all of you that are a little concerned just wanted to do a follow up because they came straight to our hotel I was able to get the antigen and the PCR test PCR test came back the very next day so I have nothing but good things to say about them and I just kind of wanted to give some feedback

Can you please elaborate on "paper in Dee" and give us more information on who they are and how you contacted them? 

On 12/2/2021 at 10:34 PM, alex_drew said:

ReneeFLL, I believe the test was $59 pp.  They did not take insurance.  I didn't ask for a receipt to submit to Medicare, so I don't know if you can get reimbursed or not.  It was worth it to me to just get it done at the airport and be finished with it! 

Thanks for the info. I was curious about the price in case others wanted to know. We have been using CVS and I bought the 6 pack of tests from eMed and have also used some of them. I also don’t know about reimbursement since I wasn’t planning on trying.

On 12/3/2021 at 10:57 AM, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Did you have to pay shipping? I'm looking and they want an extra $15 to ship. 

With eMed we paid 15.00 for shipping for the 6 pack. 

On 12/3/2021 at 6:58 PM, nho9504 said:

For those who have access to Walgreens you should use Walgreens which IDNOW is a Molecular test that is accepted even by the picky Canadian government.

They open the appointment schedule 7 days in advance at midnight but here in Broward County (where Port Everglades is in),  literally you could do walk up (actually drive thru window without appointment) at some not so busy Walgreens locations.  You can see how a location is busy or not when you to to schedule your appointment - stores still have the next day appointments are stores you can do walk up without problem. 

There is NO same day appointment to schedule but you can always do walk up at non-busy store.

On top of that the results come back super fast.  I had one done in Oct because Air Canada insisted I needed one even though I was only transiting (final destination was Paris).  So I found a Walgreens to schedule an appointment a day before I flew.  The result came back in 1 hr 10 min.

Yesterday we went for our tests for our Odyssey sailing tomorrow.  We left Walgreens at 9:46am,  I got emails on test results 10:25am.

Walgreens does not even ask insurance info unlike CVS,  I believe it directly bills the government.

There are so many Walgreens in Broward county, you should be able to schedule one if you stay an overnight in Ft. Lauderdale for the cruise.

Most locations have plenty appointment slots just 2 to  3 days out but now you can schedule 7 days in advance, you can plan ahead and should not have any issue to get an appointment at a location near your hotel.

I think Walgreens only accepts drive thru's and we didn't plan on renting a car for one day.   Did you drive thru for your Walgreen appointment?

So, the Royal site says it needs to be a PCR test or an Antigen test. A little further down, it says they accept the Abbott ID Now test also. Is that the same ID NOW test that Walgreens offers with results in 24 hours or less? Walgreens and CVS. in our area do not offer the Antigen test. We are on the Dec. 18 sailing of the Odyssey.

Edited by Super Curly

Has anyone done a large family from a single device? I need to test 9 people from either my iPhone or my laptop. I've created them each accounts in the iPhone app under "Managed profiles". Will that work? Also does the same person watch all 9 of us in succession or must we request each live test 1 by 1?

2 hours ago, Super Curly said:

So, the Royal site says it needs to be a PCR test or an Antigen test. A little further down, it says they accept the Abbott ID Now test also. Is that the same ID NOW test that Walgreens offers with results in 24 hours or less? Walgreens and CVS. in our area do not offer the Antigen test. We are on the Dec. 18 sailing of the Odyssey.

That's the test we used to go to Alaska on RC at the end of August and didn't have any issues.  Got our results back in 1-2 hours.

• Thanks 1

On 12/3/2021 at 10:24 AM, AustinCruise said:

Yes, free is good.  They did charge my insurance $159.00 and BlueCross paid the full amount.  Good profit in covid tests!  You would think CVS would try very hard to not cancel any.

Yup... good money in anything medical in the US. I've taken 5 covid tests at CVS in the past 6 months or so (last one resulting in a positive 😕).

I was able to use BeeperMD on Thanksgiving day and I had a great experience so for all of you that are a little concerned just wanted to do a follow up because they came straight to our hotel I was able to get the antigen and the PCR test PCR test came back the very next day so I have nothing but good things to say about them and I just kind of wanted to give some feedback

Was at a Walgreens in Northern CA today as they were listed as a facility that offers Rapid Testing in our area.  They do not.  They said that the only Walgreens  in the State of CA that has been approved to do Rapid Testing is in Oakland, CA, all other stores are only allowed to do the PCR test.  I hope this information is correct and helpful to others.  I think we are going to opt for the home test at this point. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Atlanta Orange said:

Just ordered mine,  2-pack $70.

May I ask??  Did you get the Optum test kit of two?  Was there an extra charge for shipping? 

I thought I had bookmarked both sites eMed and Optum but cannot find them now.  Trying to decide which one to go with.  

TIA for any and all help. 

On 12/5/2021 at 5:42 PM, flyguyjake said:

Has anyone done a large family from a single device? I need to test 9 people from either my iPhone or my laptop. I've created them each accounts in the iPhone app under "Managed profiles". Will that work? Also does the same person watch all 9 of us in succession or must we request each live test 1 by 1?

You will have to “completely” log out of the NAVICA app after each test and then the next person logs in, starts the whole process over and gets a new proctor.

The reason I said to “completely” log out is the first test we did I forgot to log out of NAVICA and when my husband got on Emed and started his test the account still showed it was me and the proctor wouldn’t do the test for him.  It was no biggie….we just went back, logged me out and requested another proctor for him and completed the test.

Also the last test we had a problem hearing the proctor.  So either have some headphones ready OR the step by step instructions will be printed on the screen so you can follow along that way.

1 hour ago, imola said:

I thought I had bookmarked both sites eMed and Optum but cannot find them now. 

If you look at the FAQs about testing on the Royal site, they have a link to their sponsored page at Optum. OK, here is a direct link ..

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack/

As I'm sure you've read in thousands of threads on the subject, watch out for the expiration dates as the kits Optum are several months old. I wouldn't order until 2-3 weeks before the cruise.

3 hours ago, publicpersona said:

If you look at the FAQs about testing on the Royal site, they have a link to their sponsored page at Optum. OK, here is a direct link ..

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack/

As I'm sure you've read in thousands of threads on the subject, watch out for the expiration dates as the kits Optum are several months old. I wouldn't order until 2-3 weeks before the cruise.

Thank you soh for your help.  We have about 6 weeks to sailing so this should work out perfect.  .