Taking the free drinks to your cabin

SeattleAl

We have an Alaska cruise next year, a balcony cabin, and a 18 month old grandchild. I don't plan to hibernate in my cabin, but I can see spending plenty of time there watching the inner passage go by. I drink a lot of ice tea at home, along with Powerade Zero. I'm hoping I don't have to slog to Windjammer or a Freestyle machine to get a small portion at a time (I have the soft drink package). I typically travel with some nice stainless steel water bottles - 32-40 ounces and anything non-carbonated works great in them.

I realize that who knows what August of 2022 may bring for beverage service, but is there any reason I couldn't fill a water bottle a glass/cup at a time till full and take it back to my cabin?

Thanks!!!

I dont see any problem with that.  I know it can be done for the free drinks such as iced tea.  I'm not a soda drinker but I should think it would be okay to use your own container instead of the large cup you get with soda pkg as long as your container will fit into their soda machine

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I dont see any problem with that.  I know it can be done for the free drinks such as iced tea.  I'm not a soda drinker but I should think it would be okay to use your own container instead of the large cup you get with soda pkg as long as your container will fit into their soda machine

I thought the freestyle and cup were removed for covid? Just have to ask at a bar perhaps.

At worst he has to wait the 5 minutes or whatever between refills to fill his larger cup. 

38 minutes ago, SeattleAl said:

We have an Alaska cruise next year, a balcony cabin, and a 18 month old grandchild. I don't plan to hibernate in my cabin, but I can see spending plenty of time there watching the inner passage go by. I drink a lot of ice tea at home, along with Powerade Zero. I'm hoping I don't have to slog to Windjammer or a Freestyle machine to get a small portion at a time (I have the soft drink package). I typically travel with some nice stainless steel water bottles - 32-40 ounces and anything non-carbonated works great in them.

I realize that who knows what August of 2022 may bring for beverage service, but is there any reason I couldn't fill a water bottle a glass/cup at a time till full and take it back to my cabin?

Thanks!!!

You can get powerade from the freestyle machines but you need to use the provided cup with the chip to activate the machine.  Right now, the machines are manned by an employee, not sure they will let you dump into another cup and refill.  You can definitely dump a bunch of iced tea into your own large bottle.  Not all the ships that are sailing Alaska even have the freestyle machines.  Ovation and Quantum have them, last I sailed Radiance and Serenade, neither had the freestyle machines.

18 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I thought the freestyle and cup were removed for covid? Just have to ask at a bar perhaps.

At worst he has to wait the 5 minutes or whatever between refills to fill his larger cup. 

Last I heard they have an attendant at the freestyle machines and you tell them what you want and they fill your cup for you.

• Like 1

Personally I do not like the ice tea on Royal as it is not fresh brewed, it is some type of mix and I don't care for it. I make my own. Take tea bags make regular tea then dump it over ice. I have a large cup in addition to the one they provide with drink packages, this way my cup stays in the fridge and I have it available in the room and is cold. 

• Like 2

"Personally I do not like the ice tea on Royal as it is not fresh brewed, it is some type of mix and I don't care for it. I make my own. Take tea bags make regular tea then dump it over ice. I have a large cup in addition to the one they provide with drink packages, this way my cup stays in the fridge and I have it available in the room and is cold. "

Thanks for the tip. I hate instant tea, so I may take up your hack.

5 minutes ago, SeattleAl said:

"Personally I do not like the ice tea on Royal as it is not fresh brewed, it is some type of mix and I don't care for it. I make my own. Take tea bags make regular tea then dump it over ice. I have a large cup in addition to the one they provide with drink packages, this way my cup stays in the fridge and I have it available in the room and is cold. "

Thanks for the tip. I hate instant tea, so I may take up your hack.

Which ship are you sailing?

17 minutes ago, jonj said:

Personally I do not like the ice tea on Royal as it is not fresh brewed, it is some type of mix and I don't care for it. I make my own. Take tea bags make regular tea then dump it over ice. I have a large cup in addition to the one they provide with drink packages, this way my cup stays in the fridge and I have it available in the room and is cold. 

I like your idea.   You may be able to get a tea kettle in your cabin.  Then you could make larger batch.

1 minute ago, jonj said:

If you are asking me I will be on the Odyssey. If you are asking the original poster, I am sure they will chime in. 

This thread is like a bad game of telephone lol  I say something and then someone else says it as if it is new information. lol  I quoted the OP because I can give them an idea for the freestyles if they are on a ship with them.

• Haha 1

I've been on three RCCL ships since restart. The first two had a manned freestyle machine. The one that I am on now does not. Personally I thought that it was a bit odd to have a crewmember touch everyone's cup as opposed to only the owner touching it. 

1 minute ago, ustasmom said:

I've been on three RCCL ships since restart. The first two had a manned freestyle machine. The one that I am on now does not. Personally I thought that it was a bit odd to have a crewmember touch everyone's cup as opposed to only the owner touching it. 

I have been on cruises with manned freestyle machines and I never give my cup directly to the attendant.  They always have you set it down on the circle and then they push the buttons.  

16 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I like your idea.   You may be able to get a tea kettle in your cabin.  Then you could make larger batch.

There was a tea kettle in my cabin on the Ovation, and I had an interior.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

There was a tea kettle in my cabin on the Ovation, and I had an interior.

Those kettle's always look a bit gross to me.

I find it easier to get hot water at several locations onboard or from room service.

I do however bring my own preferred brand of tea bags.

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I got a cup in Sept. They just had a worker at the freestyle machine to fill it for you. I believe they still have the couple mins limit between using the freestyle. At a bar they'll just fill whatever cup you hand they if you have a drink package. 

I always have my room steward  bring a bucket of ice everyday. You could have room service bring you a coffee carafe with just hot water and use your tea bags to make a pot of tea. Bring an extra plastic bottle to keep your tea in the fridge, then pour it in your own water bottle with ice to take with you whenever you want or drink in your room.

26 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

The Ovation doesn't go through the Inside Passage (between Vancouver Island and the Mainland).

It does do the inside passage by Ketchikan, Endicott arm, Juneau, and Skagway though. Probably the majority of the cruise.