Anyone cancelling their cruise?

Sistersinlaw

Right now we are still deciding about our cruise leaving Southampton on May 1st, Final payment isn't due until end of Jan so still have a few more weeks of deliberating before we have to bite the bullet.

Princess haven't extended their final payment date unlike other lines, which could be deal breaker for us. Last thing we want is another FCC to be used by the end of 2022.. 

Thanks to everyone on this forum for sharing your experiences and decision making rationale, it really helps, if we cancel yet another trip, likely we will request a refund from PCL for monies paid and

forfeit our generous Bonus FCC that we keep trying to use, but not happening.:(

So for now, like Cruiser_SJEL, checking this forum remains in my daily routine.! 

Happy holidays everyone !

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nickiford said:

I'm still on the fence for our Feb 13th cruise.  We don't have FP until January 14th.  I'm flying to Florida on Saturday for 3 days to visit my parents with my sister, if that goes well and I feel relatively comfortable I'm thinking we will go ahead with it.  The way Omicron is tearing through my city right now I feel like I'm lucky if I will be able to make it to Saturday without getting it!!  Being so careful.  We are doing rapid tests before we go even though we are flying out of Buffalo just to make sure that we aren't going there with it.

Is Peterborough bad? 
Northumberland had a big jump today , but there is an outbreak at Warkworth Pen , which is probably the cause of the larger numbers 

1 hour ago, 3JCruiser said:

Right now we are still deciding about our cruise leaving Southampton on May 1st, Final payment isn't due until end of Jan so still have a few more weeks of deliberating before we have to bite the bullet.

Princess haven't extended their final payment date unlike other lines, which could be deal breaker for us. Last thing we want is another FCC to be used by the end of 2022.. 

Thanks to everyone on this forum for sharing your experiences and decision making rationale, it really helps, if we cancel yet another trip, likely we will request a refund from PCL for monies paid and

forfeit our generous Bonus FCC that we keep trying to use, but not happening.:(

So for now, like Cruiser_SJEL, checking this forum remains in my daily routine.! 

Happy holidays everyone !

I contacted Princess on may occasions (phone, chat line, e-mails) last week and they will not extend our final payment deadline and therefore, we cancel our cruise because I did not like the idea of having $7,500 in FCC which has to be used by December 31, 2022 or we will lose that amount.  

Edited by DHP1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Airbalancer said:

Is Peterborough bad? 
Northumberland had a big jump today , but there is an outbreak at Warkworth Pen , which is probably the cause of the larger numbers 

Yes it’s getting bad.  There were a hundred cases reported between today and yesterday, that’s a lot for us, but there are probably hundreds more because there are not enough tests to be able to be booked.  We are already at double the highest number of cases that we ever had in the pandemic.  Just need to avoid all people until we leave for Florida on Saturday!!

• Like 2

I'm going on the Carnival Mardi Gras on the 26th no matter what.

BUT...

I have two cruises booked for the summer in Europe with the first final payment date the beginning of March. Going to have to think long and hard as one of the cruises is to travel around Iceland/Scotland/Wales and if everything is shut down not worth it. The second is a transatlantic but if there are too many restrictions not worth it either.

1 hour ago, Halo19 said:

Cruising Feb 20th.

Trying to decide if we want to fly or drive down to Florida.  Flying is nicer, but knowing that if we test positive after the cruise we can still drive across the border. Might make driving worth it.

Also, depending on your length of drive, it can be safer for you (and the cruise line) than flying.  But that's a heck of a drive, with restaurants and m/hotels enroute so tough decision depending on how many flights I think.  We have 4 airports/3 flights to get to Florida hence too much exposure to travel there at all now but if it's direct that's a bonus.

• Like 1

I empathize and fully understand why one would cancel at this point but my wife and I have no plans to do so.  We were on an Oceania cruise in March 2020 when COVID struck and the captain announced that the cruise was coming to a premature termination.  Concurrently, my travel insurance provider, Johnson Insurance, informed us that we’d not be covered for COVID.  Fortunately Oceania took care of our new travel arrangements to fly home.  Later in 2020 Johnson restored COVID coverage and consequently we resumed cruising starting with an Iceland circumnavigation cruise in August 2021 and a Greek islands cruise in October 2021.  Both were magical experiences after 17 months of not cruising.  We are now in the Canary Islands (Spain) awaiting embarkation for a Canary Islands cruise departing in five days.  We have no plans to cancel and will leave it to the cruise line to cancel if they deem it appropriate.  If so, we’ll stay here in sunny and warm Gran Canaria rather than come home.

We have multiple cruises booked for 2022…the Caribbean in March, Bangkok to Lisbon from April to June, Greenland and Inuvik in September and French Polynesia in October.  If the cruise lines cancel, so be it but at least for now, we have no plans to cancel.  I’m in my mid-70s, triple-vaxxed, retired and see no end in sight to the pandemic.   Carpe diem.

travel or die

• Like 5

We are currently en route to a cruise out of Miami.  Driving south from Windsor and enjoying every minute of it!  There is a whole world out here carrying on with life and it is wonderful to be part of when you are vaccinated and boosted!  

We also did a cruise in November - loved it, never felt unsafe at all

We did cancel our spring British Isles cruise, but only because we were not sure what type of hoops we would need to jump through and did not want to miss losing some of the ports on the itinerary if things didn't improve.  Logistics are a bit more complicated with overseas flights and such, so more than we want to bother with - but not because we were fearful of travelling.

10 hours ago, jean163 said:

Also, depending on your length of drive, it can be safer for you (and the cruise line) than flying.  But that's a heck of a drive, with restaurants and m/hotels enroute so tough decision depending on how many flights I think.  We have 4 airports/3 flights to get to Florida hence too much exposure to travel there at all now but if it's direct that's a bonus.

It is a 24hr drive.   Flying would be a nonstop 3.5hr hour flight.

We did the drive in Feb 2020 with a 1yr old and stopped in a hotel 2 nights.  Very easy drive.   No kids this time, so if we do drive, I think we will push it to just stopping once to sleep.  Also planning on taking most of our own food to eat in the car.  Maybe stop for fast food, so less exposure that way as well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bill0021 said:

Bravo Canadians, if this was on one of the other forums where every one chimes in, there would be fighting and name calling, in place of information and respect of opinion.

I just pushed the cancel button on two B@B leaving Jan 3rd.

- Expedia Hotel Canceled, click...click...canceled full refund.

- Air Canada, click....click full refund on the upgrades back to the credit card and points back to Aeroplan minus $9, which was A-OK.

- Travel Agent on-line booking: three clicks and confirmation that it will be confirmed with Celebrity within 24 hours.

So far pretty darn easy and painless.  Bravo to all the above companies.

Every minute there is another announcement and our health minister commented today that do not be surprised if there is a quarantine coming back.  The risk of a quarantine on top of the two week vacation is too long to be away at this time.  

It was painful hitting hitting that red button.  We are thankful that we just off off a 7 day that we booked recently.  Time to plan where and when to spend those FFC's.

When AC refunded your upgrades...did that include what you spent on seats? I booked air through Celebrity, paid in full so I could select our seats.  My air was refunded but not the $$s for seats.  Tried to submit the AC refund form for the balance, but Air by Celebrity didn't provide a ticket # when I booked.  Did you put in the 'request for refund' form?

This is a tough call for most of us. 

We have a Bahamas March break cruise with our four kids currently planned (make up using FCC from our March break 2020 cruise that didn't go) and a Med cruise in August with our two teens planned. 

Given how fluid things are generally with the virus, I'm not concerned yet about our summer plans so am happy to leave that alone for now.

I am increasingly concerned about our March plans and that with numbers spiking we may see a number of things that could negatively affect us like mandatory two week quarantine upon return or land border closure. 

What truly has me on the fence though is Royal's change in PCR testing. I understand that they no longer want to provide that service free (a nice perk for a Canadian family of 6) but that they aren't even offering it at a cost onboard and I have to figure it out upon disembarkation is a stress I don't think I want to end my vacation. I'm just trying to picture my family driving around New Jersey trying to find six rapid PCR tests so we can go home or worse needing to get a hotel room for a night or two while we wait for test results ($$$).

I'm not keen to budget an additional $800 - $1000 USD for tests (on top of the cost of antigen tests required to board of course) but paying it to test onboard knowing I will get the results in time to go home as planned would be far less stressful than what we will now have to face.

Hubby and I are "gifting" this cruise to the kids for Christmas and I am really wondering if we should even tell them about it at this point in case we elect not to go or cannot go as things progress. So disappointing how something I was so excited to book and plan for just a few weeks ago has now turned into a source of worry and stress. Feels a little like 2020 right now. 

Best of luck to all of you struggling with your decision - whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be the right call for you and your family. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JillK said:

This is a tough call for most of us. 

We have a Bahamas March break cruise with our four kids currently planned (make up using FCC from our March break 2020 cruise that didn't go) and a Med cruise in August with our two teens planned. 

Given how fluid things are generally with the virus, I'm not concerned yet about our summer plans so am happy to leave that alone for now.

I am increasingly concerned about our March plans and that with numbers spiking we may see a number of things that could negatively affect us like mandatory two week quarantine upon return or land border closure. 

What truly has me on the fence though is Royal's change in PCR testing. I understand that they no longer want to provide that service free (a nice perk for a Canadian family of 6) but that they aren't even offering it at a cost onboard and I have to figure it out upon disembarkation is a stress I don't think I want to end my vacation. I'm just trying to picture my family driving around New Jersey trying to find six rapid PCR tests so we can go home or worse needing to get a hotel room for a night or two while we wait for test results ($$$).

I'm not keen to budget an additional $800 - $1000 USD for tests (on top of the cost of antigen tests required to board of course) but paying it to test onboard knowing I will get the results in time to go home as planned would be far less stressful than what we will now have to face.

Hubby and I are "gifting" this cruise to the kids for Christmas and I am really wondering if we should even tell them about it at this point in case we elect not to go or cannot go as things progress. So disappointing how something I was so excited to book and plan for just a few weeks ago has now turned into a source of worry and stress. Feels a little like 2020 right now. 

Best of luck to all of you struggling with your decision - whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be the right call for you and your family. 

Look for a Walgreens in New Jersey offering the Rapid ID Now tests somewhere close to the port or along your route home if you’re driving.  Currently free, works to get you back into Canada, results in an hour or two.   You can book about a week ahead most times, and just use the port address if you’re not staying in a hotel.

• Like 1

So far the only change we made is the decision to drive to Florida vs fly.  It's 20 hours, we'll do it in 2 days with one stop and limit our exposure by sticking to the drive-thru, service stations etc with masks on.  We don't mind the drive at all and we have the time.  It eliminates our biggest fear which is getting stuck in Florida for 2 weeks if one of us tests positive as we disembark.  Someone posted they could still fly home as they were driving across the border and I have to say I was horrified.  Just because they don't require a negative test to fly domestic doesn't mean it's a good idea to board a plane of 200 people while you have COVID - I could never!!! 

Driving also gives us the option if we happen to test+ before the cruise we can turn around and come home.  An added bonus - no weight restrictions on luggage.  I have never driven to a port before and suddenly the wardrobe options are endless.   😁  I know the drive option is not available to many Canadians but as soon as we made the call we felt better about the trip. 

It was said above "there is a whole world out there carrying on with life" which is honestly what scares me.  Too many areas/people have just decided it's over and they're done with it - there are no restrictions, masks or protocols and for me personally I am not comfortable with that.  I am one of those who will continue to wear my mask and distance myself in crowds while covid rages on.  If Celebrity brings back the masks it's fine by me.  We have chosen to learn to live with covid, but in my eyes that doesn't mean act like it is over.  We will make changes and adjust so we can travel and live our life as safely as possible.   At this point the only thing that will stop us is a border closure.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, bookbabe said:

Look for a Walgreens in New Jersey offering the Rapid ID Now tests somewhere close to the port or along your route home if you’re driving.  Currently free, works to get you back into Canada, results in an hour or two.   You can book about a week ahead most times, and just use the port address if you’re not staying in a hotel.

This was our plan even for our Dec cruise since we were driving across the border and we were worried of the border agent not accepting the ship's PCR test if it was not done on US land (i.e. last day at sea).  DH had found a Walgreens on our way back and would try to book it just prior to us boarding.  Hopefully this still works in the future.

• Like 1

Royal C reported this morning of 55 positive. The A B C’s were closed to them due to.

We have cancelled our Feb cruise. That makes 4 now over past year. Just to many variables right now, even with insurance. No wish to spend my cruise confined to cabin 😞 . We are vacc’ed and boosted, however you can still show positive and show or feel no signs, Or others around you. Just feel it’s not worth it at this time.  Sigh

Best to all who are traveling, be safe and enjoy!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bookbabe said:

Thanks - this is exactly what my husband has suggested we do. He travelled to NYC for business at the start of November and said it was very easy to find the regular PCR test for free, but had been unable to book the test on line because of being a non-citizen - great suggestion to use the port address to circumvent that. 

We're in holding mode on this one.... going to watch closely what happens over the next 6 weeks prior to our final payment and hope for the best, then try to deal with the testing requirements. 

If anyone else is driving to/cruising out of Bayonne over the next few months and finds a place that they'd recommend, please report back! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, melbrook said:

So far the only change we made is the decision to drive to Florida vs fly.  It's 20 hours, we'll do it in 2 days with one stop and limit our exposure by sticking to the drive-thru, service stations etc with masks on.  We don't mind the drive at all and we have the time.  It eliminates our biggest fear which is getting stuck in Florida for 2 weeks if one of us tests positive as we disembark.  Someone posted they could still fly home as they were driving across the border and I have to say I was horrified.  Just because they don't require a negative test to fly domestic doesn't mean it's a good idea to board a plane of 200 people while you have COVID - I could never!!! 

Driving also gives us the option if we happen to test+ before the cruise we can turn around and come home.  An added bonus - no weight restrictions on luggage.  I have never driven to a port before and suddenly the wardrobe options are endless.   😁  I know the drive option is not available to many Canadians but as soon as we made the call we felt better about the trip. 

It was said above "there is a whole world out there carrying on with life" which is honestly what scares me.  Too many areas/people have just decided it's over and they're done with it - there are no restrictions, masks or protocols and for me personally I am not comfortable with that.  I am one of those who will continue to wear my mask and distance myself in crowds while covid rages on.  If Celebrity brings back the masks it's fine by me.  We have chosen to learn to live with covid, but in my eyes that doesn't mean act like it is over.  We will make changes and adjust so we can travel and live our life as safely as possible.   At this point the only thing that will stop us is a border closure.

You are planning to drive down in two days, with one night's stop on the way down. Do you then spend one night in Fort Lauderdale, and cruise the following day, or do you plan on boarding at the end of the second travel day?

I only ask because I remember quite vividly a post a couple of years ago when a family visited Disney World for a few days pre-cruise. Rather than head to Fort Lauderdale for the night before the cruise, they remained in their Orlando hotel, and headed off the next day. Then they ran into a mammoth traffic accident and resulting snarl on the I95 and missed their cruise. So even if your theoretical driving time would get you into Fort Lauderdale in time for embarkation, do allow for the unexpected. Getting into town the day before should apply to driving too. 😇 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, travelordie said:

I empathize and fully understand why one would cancel at this point but my wife and I have no plans to do so.  We were on an Oceania cruise in March 2020 when COVID struck and the captain announced that the cruise was coming to a premature termination.  Concurrently, my travel insurance provider, Johnson Insurance, informed us that we’d not be covered for COVID.  Fortunately Oceania took care of our new travel arrangements to fly home.  Later in 2020 Johnson restored COVID coverage and consequently we resumed cruising starting with an Iceland circumnavigation cruise in August 2021 and a Greek islands cruise in October 2021.  Both were magical experiences after 17 months of not cruising.  We are now in the Canary Islands (Spain) awaiting embarkation for a Canary Islands cruise departing in five days.  We have no plans to cancel and will leave it to the cruise line to cancel if they deem it appropriate.  If so, we’ll stay here in sunny and warm Gran Canaria rather than come home.

We have multiple cruises booked for 2022…the Caribbean in March, Bangkok to Lisbon from April to June, Greenland and Inuvik in September and French Polynesia in October.  If the cruise lines cancel, so be it but at least for now, we have no plans to cancel.  I’m in my mid-70s, triple-vaxxed, retired and see no end in sight to the pandemic.   Carpe diem.

travel or die

As your home is on the West Coast as are we, just curious if you found Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance for your cruises?  We have not been successful in finding any that cover Covid and with the current Travel Advisory.  Medical insurance for Covid is widely available. Thanks very much and enjoy Spain - Cadiz is a favourite of ours.

• Like 1

It’s killing me but I have no cruises booked. The news out of RC board has sealed the deal for me. Case counts are up to 60 and counting. Shows have been cancelled and they have been denied entry into Aruba and Curaçao.

I guess I’m not as fearless as I thought! Safe travels to those continuing on and for those cancelling or postponing you’re in good company.

Happy Holidays everyone. For now I’ll continue my armchair travelling through CC.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, paulajj said:

No, it was a new booking without FCC but it was made quite a while ago.

I think I’ll put on my ‘on hold waiting hat’ and give them a call tomorrow. 
I’ll report back what happens 🙂

F8F16254-58FB-4370-A007-D05742C9460B.jpeg

21 hours ago, paulajj said:

Does anyone that cancels now under the cruise with confidence get the full year from cruise date to rebook and use fcc? I went to cancel my January cruise  today and it says September 2022. We are wanting to book rebook in November. 

I can phone but just wanting an idea. 

thx!

Turns out the date on my booking was incorrect. Shocker! 
I have until 1 year from original sail date or December 31, 2022 whichever is longer. 
I cancelled but didn’t rebook as prices jumped up $1100 since this morning!!!

I guess a lot of people are moving cruises once again. 

• Thanks 1

Another question, after cancelling I received emails that said my drink and wifi upgrades were cancelled but nothing for my excursions or cabana. Did the lady forget to do this or is it done automatically?

I REALLY hope I don’t need to phone back 🤦🏻‍♀️ rookie mistake not checking before I got off the phone.

49 minutes ago, paulajj said:

Another question, after cancelling I received emails that said my drink and wifi upgrades were cancelled but nothing for my excursions or cabana. Did the lady forget to do this or is it done automatically?

I REALLY hope I don’t need to phone back 🤦🏻‍♀️ rookie mistake not checking before I got off the phone.

Probably just a different responsibility centre within Celebrity that handles excursions and cabanas. That's why refunds come in dribs and drabs rather than a single payment. I start a new spreadsheet for each cruise, and then track all credits and debits. With cancellations, there tends to be several lines with the credits.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

You are planning to drive down in two days, with one night's stop on the way down. Do you then spend one night in Fort Lauderdale, and cruise the following day, or do you plan on boarding at the end of the second travel day?

I only ask because I remember quite vividly a post a couple of years ago when a family visited Disney World for a few days pre-cruise. Rather than head to Fort Lauderdale for the night before the cruise, they remained in their Orlando hotel, and headed off the next day. Then they ran into a mammoth traffic accident and resulting snarl on the I95 and missed their cruise. So even if your theoretical driving time would get you into Fort Lauderdale in time for embarkation, do allow for the unexpected. Getting into town the day before should apply to driving too. 😇 

@Fouremco You are so sweet and that is excellent advice.  Our cruise sails Wednesday so we actually have quite a few days to get there.  I think we will leave Sunday, stop at Orlando Monday, tour Epcot Tuesday (hubby has never been) and then drive to FLL for the night so we wake up nice and close to the ship Wednesday.  I have never parked at the port before so I now need to figure out the logistics there.  Do we drop bags at the porters and then park? 

The cruise ends Saturday and we both have to be at work Monday so the drive home is less flexible.  Bad weather, traffic or car trouble and our plans are toast. That part is a risk I am willing to take.  We talked about adding a day to the end even to have a break between the drive & work but that seems a waste of a valuable vacation day.