Tipping for drinks and food

So normally Pre Covid 19 I would basically hand cash to somebody who brought me a drink.

I know I’m not the only person that doesn’t like to handle cash.

What is the best way to tip cash to somebody on the cruise ship?

Does the server get to keep the cash I gave them or do they have to split it?

Its been 19 years since I cruised.

TIA as always 

If you purchase a drink, there will be a tip included plus a line item on the receipt you sign to leave additional tip if you desire.

With the drink package or if you are Diamond, D+, or Pinnacle, some people will tip an additional $1 per drink, but it is entirely up to you.

As for food, tip not required, especially if you order room service, but up to you to tip the attendant who brings it to your stateroom.

• Like 3

Unless you're willing to put cash in an envelope any time you hand it over, there's no real alternative if you want to tip in cash but to just hand it over. And I have always heard cash tips end up pooled, though I have no personal knowledge either way. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pcur said:

The problem is when you order a drink using your D, D+, or P vouchers, they frequently don't bring a receipt.  I wrap the tip around my card when I order the drink. 

The only time we ever get a receipt is when we exceed the 13 dollar limit which we do on some wine, then we will add tip there if not we use cash.

Some bars where they have 3-4 people working it will share tips, but individuals wandering around getting drinks for folks do not pool their tips.  On Harmony I noticed there was a box behind the bar in the Boot and Bonnet Pub and some other bars where the tips seemed to be deposited.

I understand the gratuity portion of someone purchasing the beverage package, those tips are pooled among the bartenders.

I've never purchased a drink package, but thought it automatically added a 18% tip for the server/bartender.  So if you do the math on a diamond $13 drink the tip should be $2.34 (18%).  If on the other hand you tip one dollar on a $13 drink that would be less than 8%.  Seems like a $5 bill laid on the tray or bar would be appropriate for a couple of drinks.  What am I missing here?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, gcelkk said:

I've never purchased a drink package, but thought it automatically added a 18% tip for the server/bartender.  So if you do the math on a diamond $13 drink the tip should be $2.34 (18%).  If on the other hand you tip one dollar on a $13 drink that would be less than 8%.  Seems like a $5 bill laid on the tray or bar would be appropriate for a couple of drinks.  What am I missing here?

You are not missing anything.

What you have stated are correct facts.

Tipping is still a personal decision.

🙂 

• Like 1

I like tipping in 2.00 at the bar.  I always have a stack with me.      
I don’t drink but when I have my water refreshed I like to tip. 
still doin the same as gettin a real drink but no alcohol. Lolol.  

1 hour ago, gcelkk said:

I think a lot that tip with cash for a drink have a drink package. When I don't have it I usually don't tip beyond the automatic 18%. And when I have the drink package cash tips usually go to the waiters wandering around. Mostly because I've noticed when I give them $1 a drink I'm not waiting for a drink. The last time I was at coco cay once the waiters we knew on ship found is us they were coming so frequently we were turning down offers for drinks. And I definitely saw others that were waiting for someone to order a drink way longer that we ever did. 

Whether tips are pooled at a bar or not is up to the waiters/bartenders at that particular bar.  Some of them agree to keep their own personal tips, some of them agree to pool them and split them at the end of the shift.  I would not be concerned about whether cash tips are pooled or not because it is something that the server agreed to do. If the server is okay with it, then my opinion doesn't really matter. 

Since COVID, I have RARELY seen a receipt get signed -- they don't want everyone handling a communal pen, I would assume. (I'm currently on my fourth cruise in a row on three ships -- Freedom, Symphony, and Allure -- and I have seen exactly two people sign bar receipts in four weeks on board.) 

I just hand over a dollar with every drink, and I have seen a lot of gratitude from most servers -- I often get thanked, get words of appreciation, and yesterday I was even told "thank you for the blessing".  These people went a LONG time with no income, and they are happy to be back to earning a decent paycheck and very grateful for anything extra they receive.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marktwothousand said:

Paper receipts abounded for signing on the symphony last week for anyone without a drink package 

Must be everyone the week before had a drink package, because I only saw one person sign on Symphony over Thanksgiving (USA) week. 

• Like 1

19 years ago, your payment was handled different.  Today all drinks have 18% added, and all food is covered under your daily prepaid tipping.  So, no need to tip extra.  Many will still do, but it is not expected or required.  

Paper receipts is a solicitation for a tip, which was already added.  It's a negative experience to receive a solicitation for more than what you gave.  In the past, if a tip is included, I don't sign the slip, and put it in the trash.

I have the UBP but I know our servers and bartenders work hard so I like to give them a little extra $. Tipping is personal so I am stating what works for me since my DD used to be a bartender.

Also a $5 with the first drink and a big thank you, usually means the server checks in on me on the regular.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pcur said:

The problem is when you order a drink using your D, D+, or P vouchers, they frequently don't bring a receipt.  I wrap the tip around my card when I order the drink. 

I do the same. I find that avoids getting a receipt that I have no need for.

11 hours ago, gcelkk said:

I guess what you are missing is the tip could be 0%.

10 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

I like tipping in 2.00 at the bar.  I always have a stack with me.      
I don’t drink but when I have my water refreshed I like to tip. 
still doin the same as gettin a real drink but no alcohol. Lolol.  

If you mean with a $2 bill, that is not a good practice.

There are many reports of issues with changing them into another currency.  They are very rare outside the US (and pretty rare IN the US), that people think they are fake.

MUCH better to tip in $1s.

8 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

Paper receipts abounded for signing on the symphony last week for anyone without a drink package 

Of course.  That is how they bill you for the drink.

I have sailed with and without a drink package.  Not having to wait for and sign a receipt is a BIG PLUS to me for the drink package.