The Daily for Wednesday December 08, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Brownie Day, Take it in the Ear Day, and National Christmas Tree Day

"Just as courage imperils life, fear protects it. - Leonardo da Vinci"

Meal suggestion for today - Cheese Ziti Al Forno

Drink of the Day - Snakebite

Wine of the day - Glenelly 2013 Lady May Red (Stellenbosch) South Africa

Destination of the Day - Nuku alofa Tonga

Ships with Passengers

Amber Cove
Nieuw Amsterdam Dominicana, Puerto Plata 08:00 - 17:00

Half Moon Cay BS
Nieuw Statendam 08:00 - 17:00

Mazatlan MX
Koningsdam 08:00 - 21:00

Oranjestad, Aruba Island, Dutch Antilles
Eurodam 13:00 - 23:00

St Thomas USVI
Rotterdam 08:00 - 17:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles CA US eta 12/12

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Long Beach CA US
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Port Everglades Fort Lauderdale FL US
Noordam

Rotterdam NL
Oosterdam

1208NAmericaE.thumb.png.c79e55291238e7c21a72487899af10c6.png

1208NAmericaW.thumb.png.d092280b35b0a21886a2f18d502ae48f.png

1208Europe.thumb.png.e21c921d5f7037aa2476eb491557cf08.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 12

Good morning everyone. Interesting collection of days. I will celebrate both kinds of Brownies. The chocolate ones and the ones that are too young to be Girl Scouts.

Today, our youngest grandson, Matthew turns 16. He lost his mom when he was 9 years old, but has turned into a remarkable young man. He won his middle school’s price for technology when he graduated from there two years ago, and has two apps copyrighted. They will soon be able to be purchased on the app store.

Im off to an early PT appointment this am and we’re expecting our first very small snow fall.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 33

Happy hump day everyone and thank-you for our daily report Rich.  I’ll take it in the ear by listening to Christmas carols today.  Someone brought brownies to the office yesterday that  I did my best to avoid, I may weaken today!  Will be getting the tree on Friday evening.  Quote is quite true although I never thought of it that way.  The meal sounds nice.  Haven’t been to today’s port but it’s on the bucket list.  Prayers for everyone who needs them and cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 25

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  Not sure whether the Brownies in question are treats or little girls.  Take it in the Ear day sounds kind of whimsical.  I hope everybody who needs it gets a Christmas Tree this year (mine is tiny and artificial),  I'll disagree with the da Vinci quote.  The meal sounds nice.  I've been to Nuku alofa only on Crystal.  I'll take yesterday as hump day as it was my 15th of 30 treatments.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui and Jose
RIP Bob Dole
Welfare of furloughed crews
Seasick Sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
Eruptions in Las Palmas and Indonesia
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice
SrLouisCruisers DMIL in hospice
positive biopsies for summer slope and Mtn2sea
From the rotation:
rafinmd undergoing radiation
Mamaofami’s friend in hospice
Cruisin Terri Autoimmune problem
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

5 BHB with passengers
Bon Voyage Crazy for Cats (NCL Dawn to 12/19
Front Line Health Care Workers
5 days for MissG (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/9)
4 days for Seasick Sailor(Rotterdam to 1/16)
3 days for NCTribeFan and JAM37 (NA to 12/23)
Vict0riann getaway to Bellingham
Quartize Cruiser and Heartgrove (Koningsdam to 12/12),_Lindaler (Rotterdam to ½) , Cruisin Terri (Rivie ra to 12/13), Sea Viewer (Allure OTS until 12/19) Crazy for Cats (NCL Dawn to 12/19) and  kb4683 (Regal Princess to 12/9) at sea
A Johns Hopkins  appointment for NextOne DDIL with Long Haul Covid
highland cruiser in Vallarta
Konibngsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female staff captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 7

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I think I'll make brownies today, thanks for the suggestion.  I'm not sure what to make of "Take it in the Ear Day"?

Interesting quote.

The meal suggestion sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.  Hope the drink of the day and wine are tasty too.

@mamaofami Happy Birthday to your GS Matthew.  He sounds like an exceptional young man.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 23

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Here’s to Brownies - both young scouts & edible ones! I would like to discuss the quote with Mr. da Vinci. I understand what he is saying, but growth requires some courage!

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy!

Morning Dailyite family. Thinking of you Roy & Terry. Hugs and prayers winging your way, Jacqui.

My roof team has been here for 20 minutes and have started removing the old shingles. The weather should allow them to finish most of the job today, and finish up early tomorrow morning. It gets dark so early now they aren’t able to finish in a day. Glad to have it started. 

I have a TRX class in my future. And maybe a nice aerobic walk around the neighborhood, while Bindi is at her spa. Bindi’s “sniff n’ walks” are interesting, but not aerobic.

Today’s meal sounds good. And the drink sounds like a fun one to order. 

Carol @mamaofami Happy Birthday to Matthew!

DD9111B6-F821-4386-BEFD-46D8E601C028.jpeg.2eab902ff7dc781cdc6d6b88dd0f1b07.jpeg

Hey - Even snow folk workout!

F100D745-3DC7-4340-9D09-07B84FDFF2C6.jpeg.b5f44f958cef4429de41ebfca8b5d20c.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Glenelly 2013 Lady May Red (Stellenbosch)

This red has excellent ratings, though it is near the top of my budget range.  Later vintages share the same excellent ratings, and a slightly cheaper. Several online distributors carry the 2013 with prices starting at $48.99. The second review is almost comical. 😎

Winemaker Notes

#85 of Wine Enthusiast's Top 100 of 2020

Lady May is Glenelly’s Flagship Estate wine, named for proprietor May-Eliane de Lencquesaing. This brooding Bordeaux-inspired red displays velvety tannins and lush dark fruit, perfectly balanced by fresh acidity. A true reflection of the Glenelly terroir, it flaunts concentrated flavors of blackcurrant, raspberry and blackberry, tinged with delicate herbal, cedar and spice notes. The fine, well-integrated tannins give this wine considerable aging potential. Blend: 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Cabernet Franc, 4% Petit Verdot, 4% Merlot

WE93 Wine Enthusiast

This is a beautiful, expressive wine, with loads of potpourri, dried floral and cinnamon-spice notes that lead on the nose and ride atop the decadent fruit tones of blackberry, boysenberry and black plum flesh. The palate is full and smooth, yet not overdone or overly opulent, with more of those ripe black fruit flavors that are partnered with tones of tilled earth, licorice, light char and freshly ground coffee. The tannins are structuring, yet well integrated into the mix, with a long finish to seal the deal.

RP92 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The 2013 Lady May bursts out of the glass with a deep and brooding nose of ripe black fruits and softly stewed red fruits. Juicy blackberry, cherry compote and black plum with soft cinnamon spices show the depth and concentration on the palate, then shows a complex and broad mid-palate with good balance of depth and weight. Full-bodied, finessed and powerful, Lady May delivers pleasure at every turn and lingers long with a thoughtful conclusion that whispers in my ear to take a second and third sip. If you let it, this wine may seduce you.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Good morning to all. I remember my time in the brownies fondly as my mom was the leader.Baked brownies are very welcome in this house and I now make a decent gluten free one.I would also challenge DaVinci on the quote and have not been to the port.

The instapot lasagna was very good and a marvel in the  making. Thanks @dfish,as usual. I vowed to try the mashed potatoes mentioned here today to the delight of DH .

Tana and I have another appointment to get to today but this one is more local and parking is free!

Sending positive thoughts,love and best wishes to all,especially Jacque,Jose and Roy.

Terry

• Like 25

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Interesting collection of days. I will celebrate both kinds of Brownies. The chocolate ones and the ones that are too young to be Girl Scouts.

Today, our youngest grandson, Matthew turns 16. He lost his mom when he was 9 years old, but has turned into a remarkable young man. He won his middle school’s price for technology when he graduated from there two years ago, and has two apps copyrighted. They will soon be able to be purchased on the app store.

Im off to an early PT appointment this am and we’re expecting our first very small snow fall.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Happy birthday Mathew.

Screenshot_20211024_211944.jpg

• Like 13

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I used to be a Brownie, and I do enjoy the occasional brownie that I bake.  I actually had to look up Take It In The Ear Day and there seems to be no definitive answer as to what it means.  I think someone at Hallmark was tasked with making up a reason to sell more cards.  LOL    I love Christmas trees, but we won't be setting our big one up this year, as we won't be home to enjoy it.  I do have a little ceramic one on the coffee table that lights up every evening, though.

An interesting quote for today; da Vinci was an interesting guy.  While I haven't had today's wine, I did know a doctor from Stellenbosch, does that count?

@mamaofamiHappy Birthday to your DGS; what a remarkable young man.  I'd like to know what apps he's created!

We picked up some groceries so I can do more baking today; I think I'll make a couple of cranberry loaves, as they can be used for breakfast or with tea in the afternoon, and they freeze well.  Other than that, it should be a quiet day around our house today.

I made yesterday's dinner suggestion (Instant Pot Lasagna), but found it quite watery so I turned on the saute feature to boil down the liquid.  Did anyone else try it?

Today's menu suggestion is one that I make on a regular basis over the winter, only I call it Baked Spaghetti.  Boil spaghetti for about 8 minutes, drain, put into a casserole dish, top with a jar/can of spaghetti sauce and some extra parmesan and bake for 30 minutes.  Voila, dinner!  Since we just had pasta yesterday, I think I'll heat up some ham and make stuffed baked potatoes and vegetables to go with it.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for those special ones in need.  Raising our wine glasses high to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, stay well, and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 28

Good morning friends!  It's been raining here for hours.  I was awake early and heard a pounding of rain on the roof begin at exactly 4:24 am.  Hopefully we get this rain over with by noon.  Now if only I could find a way to sleep until 6 am each day I would be a happy camper.  Treadmill work only today.

Thanks Rich for the Daily this morning.  More thanks for you Roy for keeping the lists.  Just keeping track of the cruisers is quite a job anymore (thankfully).  Congrats on hitting the halfway mark in your treatments.  Happy Birthday to Matthew, 16 year old DGS of Carol @mamaofami.  He sounds like quite a fantastic addition to the universe.  Good luck to him!  Cheers to all celebrating the good things in life.  Prayers for our friends and family who are in need of prayers.  Special prayers for strength for Jacqui @kazuand Jose.  We are here for you.

A nice selection of days to celebrate.  I love brownies!  Not sure what take it in the ear day means but how about those ear thermometers?  We could celebrate those!  And who doesn't like a Christmas tree?  I know I do!  But apparently some sicko committed arson last night and lit up the huge, beautiful tree outside Fox News headquarters in New York last night.  Why do people have to be so mean and vindictive?  I hope he stays in jail for a good long while because arsonists are very dangerous people.  🎄

On to the port of the day.  Nope, never went to Nuku'alofa, Tonga.  I read it's the capital.  Sounds interesting so if anyone has any photos we'd love to see them.  Thanks in advance.

• Like 23

Good afternoon.

We are sitting in Starbucks having a coffee and it is pouring down with rain outside.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for today's lists.

Interesting days and quote.

I will give the food a miss.

We have never been to today's port so looking forward to seeing photos.

Prayers 🙏 for Roy,Kazu and all on the care list.

Take care.

Graham.

IMG-20211124-WA0000.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 30

Good Morning Everyone from a bright and sunny day at the beach

Interesting collection of days.  Christmas trees are in short supply around here. I went out yesterday to get some fresh greens, not a twig in sight! 

Todays port is on our itinerary for our 2022 cruise. Hope it goes. Would love to see pictures.

@mamaofami A very Happy Birthday to Matthew. He sounds like a remarkable young man.  You have every reason to be proud.

My shopping was a bust yesterday, I even went to Melbourne. Tomorrow I am going to Orlando, hopefully a better selection there. DH told me to give it up and call it done. LOL  

Off to water aerobics.

Stay safe and enjoy today.

• Like 26

Good morning, everyone.

I have a quiet day ahead of me.  Physical therapy at 11:30 for my back, but that is a breeze.  I always feel better afterwards.   We are trying dry needling.  I noticed the last time that it was so much easier to walk to the car afterwards.  I wish the effects were permanent.

Today's meal is definitely comfort food.  Most of the recipes I found were called copycat recipes.  They were trying to replicate a dish from Olive Garden.  They use a combination of marinara sauce and alfredo sauce along with five different cheeses.   

https://dinnerthendessert.com/five-cheese-ziti-al-forno/

1604297635_Cheesezitialforno1.thumb.jpg.06d511a87c4629d821d545b205708128.jpg

This one doesn't use the alfredo sauce.  You can add things  you like such as mushrooms, green onions, beef, etc.  Be creative!   https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/five-cheese-ziti-al-forno/

1428520041_cheesezitialforno3.thumb.jpg.34d19ccacf41182f5d71a2cec75ae716.jpg

Warm thoughts to Jacqui @kazu and Happy Birthday to Matthew, DGS of @mamaofami.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Got most of our just got home chores done yesterday including I put up and decorated the Christmas tree. Today I’ll work on some outside decorations and try and catch up with our neighbors festive looks.

My beautiful oak tree is giving birth to more acorns this year than I can handle. Yesterday with the help of blower, rake and old snow shovel (yes they come in handy in Florida) I gathered around 50 lbs of acorns! This morning our driveway is loaded again with acorns. This has been going on for three weeks.

@kazuThoughts and prayers for you and Jose.

Thanks Rich for the Daily and a tip of the hat to all of the contributors.

Have a great day!

• Like 24

45 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I used to be a Brownie, and I do enjoy the occasional brownie that I bake.  I actually had to look up Take It In The Ear Day and there seems to be no definitive answer as to what it means.  I think someone at Hallmark was tasked with making up a reason to sell more cards.  LOL    I love Christmas trees, but we won't be setting our big one up this year, as we won't be home to enjoy it.  I do have a little ceramic one on the coffee table that lights up every evening, though.

An interesting quote for today; da Vinci was an interesting guy.  While I haven't had today's wine, I did know a doctor from Stellenbosch, does that count?

@mamaofamiHappy Birthday to your DGS; what a remarkable young man.  I'd like to know what apps he's created!

We picked up some groceries so I can do more baking today; I think I'll make a couple of cranberry loaves, as they can be used for breakfast or with tea in the afternoon, and they freeze well.  Other than that, it should be a quiet day around our house today.

I made yesterday's dinner suggestion (Instant Pot Lasagna), but found it quite watery so I turned on the saute feature to boil down the liquid.  Did anyone else try it?

Today's menu suggestion is one that I make on a regular basis over the winter, only I call it Baked Spaghetti.  Boil spaghetti for about 8 minutes, drain, put into a casserole dish, top with a jar/can of spaghetti sauce and some extra parmesan and bake for 30 minutes.  Voila, dinner!  Since we just had pasta yesterday, I think I'll heat up some ham and make stuffed baked potatoes and vegetables to go with it.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for those special ones in need.  Raising our wine glasses high to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, stay well, and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Gerry,I used the second recipe and my DDIL told me to use a thick tomato sauce.I had leftover sauce I made last week that was pretty thick.After I melted the cheese I kept it warm for 10 minutes  while I got the rest of the meal together. It  was perfect if I might say so myself.

• Like 17

After all these pasta dishes recently, I told DH last night I was going to break down and go to Bambenelli's on New Years Eve if they were open. That way there wont be left overs, that are always better the next day.  Anything with tomato sauce is better the next day.  And that makes me eat it even more.  If i go out for pasta, there may be a take home for one more meal, but not for a week.  LOL.

Yes it poured this morning, and for the first time in months I slept until 7:30!  Even the cats didn't wake up, we just snoozed away with the sound of the rain.  This morning is a Dollar Tree run, then walk the neighbors dog, then lunch, then work.  Another busy day in Paradise.

I have never been to the ports shown here, but I do love looking and dreaming, so for who ever posts pictures, thank you.

I hope each of you have a wonderful and blessed day, and that you let God hold you safe in his hands, because you are all in my prayers.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

My beautiful oak tree is giving birth to more acorns this year than I can handle. Yesterday with the help of blower, rake and old snow shovel (yes they come in handy in Florida) I gathered around 50 lbs of acorns! This morning our driveway is loaded again with acorns. This has been going on for three weeks.

Acorns, acorns, acorns!  We have a tree at the street, a pin oak which is doing the same thing.  Dropping acorns.  The squirrels adore the tree and scamper up and down gathering nuts off the branches because the ones on the ground are apparently not good enough for them.  🙄  However those white lights strung around the trunk of the tree are all awry now due to all the squirrels climbing up and down.  And since it's rainy today I'm not going out there with a ladder and try to rearrange everything.  It's just going to have to be a mess.  If our tree weren't so beautifully shaped and full, I'd wish for a maple tree.  But not the ones my neighbors all have - they are not doing well at all and branches are dying off on them every year.  No one knows why.  

Anyway, good luck with your oak tree and prolific acorn crop!

• Like 22