Extra deck on the Reflection, what's the story?

zitsky

I tried searching for this but I guess I broke the search tool.  I booked a cruise recently (Eclipse) and noticed the Reflection, listed in the catalog, has one more deck than the other S class ships.  Anyone know why this is?  The wikipedia entry is pretty brief.

The S class ships, except Reflection, have the pool on deck 12 and the buffet on deck 14. On Reflection the pool was moved up 1 deck to deck 14 and rooms were added under the pool on deck 12 (there is no deck 13 on any ships). There is not physically an additional deck on Reflection.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

It was the most cost effective way to increase the number of staterooms and passenger capacity, far less money than lengthening the ship.

So Reflection was the last of the S class but for whatever reason they didn't build another with the deck configuration?

Edit:  it's not an extra deck.

Edge was 2018 so I guess they prefer that design?

Edited by zitsky

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

So Reflection was the last of the S class but for whatever reason they didn't build another with the extra deck?

Edge was 2018 so I guess they prefer that design?

Edge class is the way of the future for Celebrity.  Next is Beyond and then I believe one more E class.  Hopefully, a new class will be introduced in the not too distant future.  Don’t expect anything like the S class ships.

20 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Edge class is the way of the future for Celebrity.  Next is Beyond and then I believe one more E class.  Hopefully, a new class will be introduced in the not too distant future.  Don’t expect anything like the S class ships.

I see a few complaints about the Infinite Veranda on the Edge.  I would like to try the Beyond some time to see if I like it.  Same configuration plus the Daniel Boulud restaurant. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are just off Reflection.  True that it's not an extra deck, but it seems like it, as the Fitness Center and Solarium are on two separate decks.  The mast grill and bar are on the same level as the lawn.  The PG is also much larger than earlier S class ships, and the hair salon is port rather than starboard.  That's important to us as we sail AQ forward, always under the hair salon.  Also, the current captain always docked us on the port side, which gave starboard far more privacy when in port.  

16 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I see a few complaints about the Infinite Veranda on the Edge.  I would like to try the Beyond some time to see if I like it.  Same configuration plus the Daniel Boulud restaurant. 

More than a  few complaints.  Some ( like me ) hate it and will never sail in another e class again.  Others love them.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

More than a  few complaints.  Some ( like me ) hate it and will never sail in another e class again.  Others love them.

Do you hate the E class as a whole or just the infinite veranda?? We have a suite with normal balcony on the Apex in February and looking at the video's, it looks nice. 

6 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

We'll probably look at the new HAL ships rather than sail on the E-class.  Those ships look nice.

Edited by Ipeeinthepools

39 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

Sadly

1 minute ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

We'll probably look at the new HAL ships rather than sail on the E-class.  Those ships look nice.

We’ve sailed on Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam, and are hoping to sail Rotterdam after our Apex British Isles cruise.  Pinnacle class are lovely ships, for sure.  Very HAL vibe, but also very modern.  The pool area is extremely nice….two tiered with lounges and beds.  Entertainment has really improved, although no production shows.  We would never so no to a cruise on one of these ships!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

The thing is, the E class is not built for you and the people that cruise M and S class,  it's built for the people that are going to start cruising now and the next 10 years (and more).   The people that cruise for the first time on E class will experience IV and if they have a great cruise, that's the important part, will cruise E class again on their favorite E class ship, that's how it works. So anyway, just enjoy M and S class ships while they are around and don't worry about E class.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

We’ve sailed on Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam, and are hoping to sail Rotterdam after our Apex British Isles cruise.  Pinnacle class are lovely ships, for sure.  Very HAL vibe, but also very modern.  The pool area is extremely nice….two tiered with lounges and beds.  Entertainment has really improved, although no production shows.  We would never so no to a cruise on one of these ships!

Good to hear.  A nice pool is a must.

1 minute ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Good to hear.  A nice pool is a must.

But, I do love the Solarium on Celebrity.  Balconies on HAL are much nicer than anything on E class and the IV cabins.  We had an extended balcony on our last K’dam cruise and it was huge!

• Like 1

When I was talking to one of the main engineers on the constellation I know another class of ship is coming or might be e class upgrade. Engines are going to be completely different believe it’s hydrogen fuel cell. Not sure if it’s new ship or what.  I know silverseas is introducing a ship in late 22 or 23 that will have this tech.  

When Reflection sails full, Blu is a zoo...not the same experience as on other ships.     Love Reflection, going on her again in May, but would only do either suite, or regular balcony & eat in Tuscan each night it's the only ship (for myself) that Blu doesn't quite work due to overcrowding.  

24 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Infinite veranda is just a window that goes up and down, yes?

The area that would be a balcony on a S or M class ship is enclosed  and has a floor to ceiling window that an be lowered.  There are doors that can be left open making 1 space or closed to separate the areas. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

When Reflection sails full, Blu is a zoo...not the same experience as on other ships.     Love Reflection, going on her again in May, but would only do either suite, or regular balcony & eat in Tuscan each night it's the only ship (for myself) that Blu doesn't quite work due to overcrowding.  

Just a heads up on the suite count on Reflection.  It has 46 more suites than all the other S-class ships, meaning up to 92 more pax in a Luminae that's no bigger. It's the only ship where I received a timer to wait for a table (square plastic thingy with flashing red lights ala Red Lobster).  Last time I'll book a suite on Reflection.  I just now counted and Reflection appears to have the same number of AQ cabins as Eclipse and Silhouette so maybe the Blu wait time could have been a management problem.

Edit:  I bet the Blu problem is suite pax not wanting to wait for Luminae so crowding into Blu which also is no bigger.

Edited by goofysmom99
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Just a heads up on the suite count on Reflection.  It has 46 more suites than all the other S-class ships, meaning up to 92 more pax in a Luminae that's no bigger. It's the only ship where I received a timer to wait for a table (square plastic thingy with flashing red lights ala Red Lobster).  Last time I'll book a suite on Reflection.  I just now counted and Reflection appears to have the same number of AQ cabins as Eclipse and Silhouette so maybe the Blu wait time could have been a management problem.

Edit:  I bet the Blu problem is suite pax not wanting to wait for Luminae so crowding into Blu which also is no bigger.

On Reflection, we never had to wait for Luminae, but the one night we wanted to eat at Blu, boy was it packed.... now this could have been a one off, maybe due to the fact that we were heading into a sea day after 3 very intense port days (including an overnight).   I'm hoping that this May number of pax onboard will still be low..

16 hours ago, STLCRUISIN said:

The S class ships, except Reflection, have the pool on deck 12 and the buffet on deck 14. On Reflection the pool was moved up 1 deck to deck 14 and rooms were added under the pool on deck 12 (there is no deck 13 on any ships). There is not physically an additional deck on Reflection.

Spot on.

They just moved the pool area up one deck and put more rooms below.  Follow the blue glass from the rear towards the front in these pics to see:

Others:

image.png.4f9972505e9e6074ac5a3d367a698432.png

Reflection:

image.png.c14d8b3cf255d3a542e0db171d06999f.png