Planning for worst case scenario - FAO Molecrochip

Cathygh

9 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I still struggle to understand why any country would wish to bring infected cruise ship passengers ashore, especially when the cruise ship has dedicated quarantine areas, and can’t help but wonder if this is more about the cruise operators wishing to offload for fear that, if they don’t, they may cumulatively end up with more passengers requiring quarantine cabins than they have allocated? 

IIRC, Moley and others discounted that theory some weeks ago.

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I agree there are a lot of very naive passengers out there

Also I think from following debate on other cruise line forums based in the US there are a lot of blase cruisers 

There's a difference

Thing is, there are very few people who cruise that on these or any other boards, so not sure how they would know what is happening.

5 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Regardless It does appear quarantine cabins on boats don't have balconies

Boats may not have balcony cabins, but ships do! And why would you think that an entire deck be set aside for quarantine, but then only use the interior cabins ?

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

All I can remember thinking about that is cruise ships aren't designed or equipped to be floating hospitals for larger numbers 

And I could totally understand why cruise lines would want to offload. Patients can deteriorate very quickly

Mildness of a variant may change that approach. But think it's going to take a while for a different approach to be considered wowzz

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

They may well have done Wowzz, but I very much doubt that the cruise ship operators would admit to this even if it was the case. Do we know as a fact that all overseas countries are insisting that infected cruise ship passengers must be brought ashore?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

They may well have done Wowzz, but I very much doubt that the cruise ship operators would admit to this even if it was the case. Do we know as a fact that all overseas countries are insisting that infected cruise ship passengers must be brought ashore?

I thought that was odd as well.  Why would they want them ashore?

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Boats may not have balcony cabins, but ships do! And why would you think that an entire deck be set aside for quarantine, but then only use the interior cabins ?

Following h and s risk assessments? 

Doesn't surprise me why they would do it tbh

Ie really wanting to shut them away 

Room service is being delivered by staff fully kitted out in those scary looking full body suits etc

And just being left outside the room with a knock at the door

If anyone reads a report from people quarantined in a balcony cabin then please do post it though

Maybe you have to pay an upgrade fee and nobody has paid it yet?

Lol

Ps I've been educated to call them ships not boats on here and have been doing well lately

Apologies for the occasional slip though! Lol

Will try even harder!

21 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Boats may not have balcony cabins, but ships do!

Do you prefer the left or right side when cruising Wowzz? What about the front or back of the ship?  😂 The one that really irks me is when people add the word ‘the’ in front of a ships name (we are going on ‘the Iona’ etc) 😂 

• Haha 1

I faced being disembarked from Ventura in Spain after positive LF. Thank heavens second (PCR) was negative. Very scary and would have been worse in Caribbean!  I will not be cruising for the time being. Isolation cabins are only for new crew joining and contacts of positive cases who test negative. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Do you prefer the left or right side when cruising Wowzz? What about the front or back of the ship?  😂 The one that really irks me is when people add the word ‘the’ in front of a ships name (we are going on ‘the Iona’ etc) 😂 

Yes me too!  AND I am a passenger not a guest!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

As things stand today, tens of thousands of people are enjoying their cruise holidays.  It seems from this and other threads that a few people do not have the risk appetite to cruise while they are uncertain about the possible consequences of a positive Covid test and potential disembarkation.  That is fine.  Individuals in that situation should not travel until the risks decrease to a risk level at which they are comfortable.   Many thousands of cruisers are clearly content with the current level of risk and I don't think the concerns of the few should preclude this majority from enjoying a holiday within their tolerance for risk, while governments and cruise companies assess that the collective risks remain manageable and have countermeasures in place to mitigate them.

Folk have the same choices as they had a year ago. If you don't feel safe on a cruise ship, stay ashore, don't cruise. If you don't feel safe going out, stay at home. Some of us are quite happy to take some chances. We are continually told how poor the cruises will be by folk who aren't cruising. We did 3 this year. All were fine. Different but fine.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Folk have the same choices as they had a year ago. If you don't feel safe on a cruise ship, stay ashore, don't cruise. If you don't feel safe going out, stay at home. Some of us are quite happy to take some chances. We are continually told how poor the cruises will be by folk who aren't cruising. We did 3 this year. All were fine. Different but fine.

But we don’t have the same choices we had a year ago. When the balance of our February cruise was paid, nobody had heard of Omicron and the Delta situation was improving greatly. We are booked on the February 35 nights cruise on Ventura whose ports include Belize and Roatan. Who wants to be quarantined there? Not me! 2022 is fully booked for cruises and two booked for 2023. There is very little scope to move this cruise anywhere. Personally, I’m praying that it’s cancelled 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Very valid comments, however, having cruised on Staycations twice, and looking forward to a cruise to the Canary Islands in Feb, when I paid my balance it wasn't known that passengers would be off loaded if they caught Covid.  If it was quarantine onboard I would accept it, the off load, quarantine and fly home, no way.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

Any person who has tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 should disembark as soon as possible (in accordance with the EU HEALTHY GATEWAYS “Advice for ship operators for preparedness and response to an outbreak of COVID19”, available at: https://www.healthygateways.eu/Novel-coronavirus), be isolated in a facility ashore and monitored until the ECDC criteria for discharge are met (6). Different scenarios with the expected number of persons to be isolated should be considered and included in the planning and arrangements made between the cruise line and the local/national authority.

Advice for restarting cruise ship operations after lifting restrictive measures in response to the COVID-19 pandemic (healthygateways.eu)

Hopefully, this may help people understand the rules.  EU rules, not cruise company rules.  It is Carnival policy because it is an EU policy.

Do EU rules still apply?

36 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We still definitely all have choices to make either way currently 

Assuming we all agree one way or another you will be able to postpone a cruise last minute that you don't feel happy doing (we do still get posters on here often saying theyve been denied doing that though) 

Don't think anyone should be denied postponing anything in current situation tbh

But IMO what's different now is if you fear overseas quarantine or even just being confined to cabins  on board (which clearly most of us do) 

Then the chances of that happening right now are far higher than in the past 

And the longer the cruise and further away it goes obviously the higher the risk

Should cruise lines actively be looking to reduce those risks again like they did when they only operated shorter staycations in the summer?

Do 35 night cruises actually pass risk assessments in this situation? 

Even 14 night cruises must be under question again in this situation

Cruise lines surely have a duty to minimise risks themselves?

Or are they just waiting and hoping for Govts to step in again? 

So they can claim financial support etc

1 hour ago, showingdiva said:

And me!    A third world problem really, but it just does.    However, out of ****** mindedness, I sometimes like to throw in the use of "the pointy end" and "the blunt end".

If somebody won't be going on a cruise anytime soon, they are neither a passenger, or a guest. Just an interested observer.

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

If somebody won't be going on a cruise anytime soon, they are neither a passenger, or a guest. Just an interested observer.

Surely anyone not actually on a cruise right now is just an interested observer?

Which will be 99 per cent of the people using this forum at any stage

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Surely anyone not actually on a cruise right now is just an interested observer?

Which will be 99 per cent of the people using this forum at any stage

I do wonder why folk who haven't been on any cruise since they restarted,............🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Do EU rules still apply?

From when the draft of those Healthy Gateway rules were first published they were reportedly being followed by the UK and presumably other non EU countries in Europe as well as CLIA and the cruise lines.  As the cruise lines travel between different countries within Europe it had to be co ordinated procedures.

So yes, it applies to the UK.

• Like 1