Thoughts on taking your (Moderna) booster just 2 days before your cruise?

DHLuCruise

Tough decision.  I had my booster and it knocked me out for about a day.  I just could not get comfortable along with the chills.  Also take into consideration that if they spot you at the terminal with symptoms they will pull you aside for secondary screening.  I would recommend get it sooner.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BennyBrun said:

Tough decision.  I had my booster and it knocked me out for about a day.  I just could not get comfortable along with the chills.  Also take into consideration that if they spot you at the terminal with symptoms they will pull you aside for secondary screening.  I would recommend get it sooner.

It will be nearly impossible for me to get it sooner. It's either that day or wait until after the cruise.

Yeah I wonder if showing my proof of booster will help in the case I'm secondary screened (I assume they'll ask for another covid test?)

I would not do it, for all of the reasons written here.  . . . but the thing that would make my decision is that you could spike a slight fever.  We have all powered through that at one time or another.  

HOWEVER--if you have a fever at the pier they will not let you board, even if it is just caused by your booster.   

From Royal Caribbean website--"Should you have a fever or other symptoms of illness at the terminal, this could result in a denial of boarding for you and those in your travel party."

PS--if that happens you will be in the greater NYC areas on Christmas Eve looking for a hotel room or having to drive home while feeling crummy.  

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas
  • Like 1

Wow that's a tough one. The booster hit me with chills for 12-18 hours after. Granted by 24 hours post shot I was fine other than tiredness from not sleeping well. If you were 3-4 days out I would say get the shot, but 2 days + driving I say wait until you get back. Just my $0.02

• Like 1

Personally, I wouldn’t. I, also had the Moderna vaccines. Was fine after first shot, and ended up in bed for 3 day after the 2nd with a high fever and chills. I wanted to get my booster before a Christmas trip and haven’t felt that great so was afraid to get it. So, I’ll wait to get back and get it a few weeks before my cruise at the end of Jan. Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

Let us know how you do!!  Kind of funny how we gamble on things and worry needlessly or get scre---- by taking a risk.  Life should come with a crystal ball.  I hope you feel great and that the vaccine gets busy to protect you during your cruise. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DHLuCruise said:

I know that full effectiveness won't kick in right away but we have an opportunity to get a booster two days before our cruise.  We happen to be on Anthem -- Dec 24th. (To answer your question before you ask that is truly our only opportunity to get it. The story why is irrelevant to my post).  We really want to get boosted before getting on the ship if we can.

For those of you that have taken the booster, would you say that is a risky move? I'm asking about how long the side effects last that could impact the onboard health check. 

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

My side effects from the booster were a milder version of the side effects I experienced from my second Moderna shot. I took Tylenol immediately after the booster and used an ice pack on my arm two or three times on the day of the booster shot. The next day, I had almost no arm pain but a slight fever and aches. My husband had no side effects from any of his 3 Moderna shots. I say, go for it.

Don’t do it!  I am a physician, and another physician friend of mine had it 3 weeks ago and is still not feeling back to normal. Initial fever and aches followed by overwhelming fatigue that is still affecting her.  This was with Moderna. Enjoy your cruise and just get it after. 

Great you were able to move it up!  You’ll be fine by then.  And you will start boosting your immunity by the time you get on the ship.  

Had mine Tuesday, felt a little achy that night and last night achy and headache but today I feel normal and glad to have it over with.  

FWIW I'll share my experience though you have many other examples of side effects/reactions, but I'm glad you were able to change the booster date get it earlier than 2 days before. I scheduled mine purposefully well in advance expecting it would affect my 12/26 cruise. My experience with the Moderna booster last week was:

• 6:30 p.m. shot Tuesday
  • Sore arm that evening into Wednesday, slight headache/neck stiffness Wednesday morning
  • Became all over body aches Wednesday evening, followed by chills and a fever in the evening, and that kept me awake into Thursday morning
  • Fever, chills, body aches broke by Thursday morning and I was good again, save a bit of a sore injection site but not bad

Best of luck that you recover quickly and enjoy your cruise!!!

2 hours ago, zanydoc said:

Don’t do it!  I am a physician, and another physician friend of mine had it 3 weeks ago and is still not feeling back to normal. Initial fever and aches followed by overwhelming fatigue that is still affecting her.  This was with Moderna. Enjoy your cruise and just get it after. 

So that was my saturday option, going to buffalo. I just found out a problem with that plan. What if you get randomly picked for a surveilance test? Note that this is different from the testing they're ramping up for all non-US travelers.

The current policy seems to be that you need to quarantine until the test result comes back which could be days, which would impact our ability to leave on the day we need to.

Just our experience, but both DH and I were very sick the day after our Moderna booster.  Fever, chills, body aches, etc.  We would not have wanted to be packing and getting ready for a cruise the next day!

I'm not saying to not get the booster -- the side effects are well worth the advantages of it!  But, knowing how we both reacted to it, I would not recommend getting it the day before anything important.

Courtesy update: Was able with DW to get the booster yesterday (Friday). Much better symptoms than last time. Just slightly uncomfortable and achy but don't feel like death like my second shot.

By our cruise I will have built up 7 days of booster protection which will be pretty good.

Thank you community for taking the time to answer my questions.

Edited by DHLuCruise

On 12/18/2021 at 7:09 AM, DHLuCruise said:

Courtesy update: Was able with DW to get the booster yesterday (Friday). Much better symptoms than last time. Just slightly uncomfortable and achy but don't feel like death like my second shot.

By our cruise I will have built up 7 days of booster protection which will be pretty good.

Thank you community for taking the time to answer my questions.

great!!  stay safe!